Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-10-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102181 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If The Texans Dont ADD.....

A Veteran CB FA in the off season and Draft another kiddie CB instead then we will be in the same boat as last season.

1 Big Name CB will do the job, Resign Jason Allen to be our #2 CB. Jason Allen was easily the Best CB we had. His interceptions were all because he was covering his man and was in position to make the play, No Fluke INTs. In Fact i saw better coverage skills from him than i have seen from D-Rob since his 1st/second seasons.

Make Quin our #3/Nickle CB.

Make K. Jackson the water boy

Although I Like the way Troy Nolan Plays i'm not sure he is ready to be our everyday guy HE WILL BE ONEDAY, I would take him way over Wilson though. I also say Keep Pollard We have a #1, Allen, Quinn we wont need Pollard to do much pass Defense. IMO

Allen INT vs Eagles
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...INT?r_src=ramp And Look Troy Nolan Was in Position to help out over the top

Allen INT vs Titans
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...ins?r_src=ramp

Allen INt vs Broncos
http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-te...000d5d81d36883

I posted something similar earlier but it got moved cause i had a Quote from a Mock Draft
Old 02-10-2011   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If The Texans Dont ADD.....

Couldn't you post this in one of the existing threads?
Old 02-10-2011   #3
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 102181 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Couldn't you post this in one of the existing threads?
No i didnt cause i was focusing on more than aspect of our secondary, its not just about FAs. i figured i could start a new thread for it, if not my bad. Its slow off season just trying to keep up the spirits.
Old 02-10-2011   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see Troy Nolan get a legit chance to start if we don't add a big name FA at FS. He has a knack at being around the ball and making big plays.

If we can tighten up his coverage a little bit, he can be a playmaker. He was basically a rookie last season.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #5
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I want to see Troy Nolan get a legit chance to start if we don't add a big name FA at FS. He has a knack at being around the ball and making big plays.

If we can tighten up his coverage a little bit, he can be a playmaker. He was basically a rookie last season.
yeah he showed promise. I dont mind them giving him a shot but a back up plan after last season with our secondary would be nice.
Old 02-10-2011   #6
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I believe this is the Texans biggest issue... they have ADD
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #7
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I'm 97.634% certain I'm GP's #1 Fan!
There's still room for error 8^)...

j/k GP

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2011   #8
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33670 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

I don't understand everyone's enthusiasm for Troy Nolan to start. If I remember correctly, didn't he get an opportunity to start early on during the 2010 season? He gave up a lot of big plays.

He plays well when given a limited role, but fails to meet the critera when starting. But like you said, he was basically a rookie last season so I'm still optimistic about him. He just needs more time to learn about the intricacies of the game.
Old 02-10-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think some of us are a little snake-bit. I don't think starting young corners was our biggest problem last season. Starting the young corners we did was a big issues, but it wasn't because they were young.

Starting those young corners in front of Wilson & Pollard was a pretty big issue.

Starting those young corners behind those LBs..... biggest issue IMO.

I like our LBs. I believe they are athletic enough to do the job they are supposed to.... Same as our CBs. Wilson..... not so much. Pollard..... eehhh..

I'd feel 100% fine with letting Pollard walk & letting Nolan take his spot. Of course we should bring other SS in to try take the job from Nolan.... barring a better option, I'm saying he should be the SS.

FS, I'd happily go forward thinking Quin will be our FS. Again, unless we can find someone better.

Jason Allen & KJac as our starting corners.......

I think that will "shore up" our secondary for a little while, allowing us to focus on DL, LBs, & TE in FA & the draft.

I kid about the TE, but if this Julio Jones is who they say he is & he's there at 11, we can take him, then go DL/LB later in the draft.
Old 02-10-2011   #10
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think some of us are a little snake-bit. I don't think starting young corners was our biggest problem last season. Starting the young corners we did was a big issues, but it wasn't because they were young.

Starting those young corners in front of Wilson & Pollard was a pretty big issue.

Starting those young corners behind those LBs..... biggest issue IMO.

I like our LBs. I believe they are athletic enough to do the job they are supposed to.... Same as our CBs. Wilson..... not so much. Pollard..... eehhh..

I'd feel 100% fine with letting Pollard walk & letting Nolan take his spot. Of course we should bring other SS in to try take the job from Nolan.... barring a better option, I'm saying he should be the SS.

FS, I'd happily go forward thinking Quin will be our FS. Again, unless we can find someone better.

Jason Allen & KJac as our starting corners.......

I think that will "shore up" our secondary for a little while, allowing us to focus on DL, LBs, & TE in FA & the draft.

I kid about the TE, but if this Julio Jones is who they say he is & he's there at 11, we can take him, then go DL/LB later in the draft.
would rather have Quinn and Allen, and Jackson as our FS. BUT dont like none of those options TBH. I think we need a big name CB, and i expect we will get one this off season.
Old 02-11-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
would rather have Quinn and Allen, and Jackson as our FS. BUT dont like none of those options TBH. I think we need a big name CB, and i expect we will get one this off season.
I'm pretty sure we will get a big named corner back, pushing KJac to nickel.

But...... CB was not our biggest problem, KJac definitely wasn't. It's perception. I'm sure McNair wants to address perception.
Old 02-11-2011   #12
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:

But...... CB was not our biggest problem, KJac definitely wasn't. It's perception. I'm sure McNair wants to address perception.

If you go based on pure talent, then he was. Put Coaching/play calling aside. i Dont think he has what it takes to be a shut down CB. Could i be wrong, of course, but after no improvement all season i just don't see it happening.
Old 02-11-2011   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm pretty sure we've all been through this before.

I realize our safety's were the weakest of the group, but Kjax was even benched, bro. All of our CB's kinda suck, but KJ was the worst of the bunch and was picked on by darn near every team we played.

Can he get better? Sure, but should we count on it? Nope

Let us bow our heads and pray Wade's system can help cover the fail in our secondary. Especially if we're unable to grab a decent FA.
Old 02-11-2011   #14
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm pretty sure we've all been through this before.

I realize our safety's were the weakest of the group, but Kjax was even benched, bro. All of our CB's kinda suck, but KJ was the worst of the bunch and was picked on by darn near every team we played.

Can he get better? Sure, but should we count on it? Nope

Let us bow our heads and pray Wade's system can help cover the fail in our secondary. Especially if we're unable to grab a decent FA.
i dont think J. Allen sucks. He showed great coverage skills and a knack for the ball. Snagging 5 INT, 3 with us 2 with Miami.
Old 02-11-2011   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I believe this is the Texans biggest issue... they have ADD
They don't have ADD.

Oh look, a cheerleader and our defense gives up another TD.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #16
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i dont think J. Allen sucks. He showed great coverage skills and a knack for the ball. Snagging 5 INT, 3 with us 2 with Miami.
Allen played decently for us last season, but he also gave up a lot of big plays (the 50 yard pass to Braylen Edwards where he played inside technique and let him go out of bounds with 10 seconds left on the clock comes to mind).

Plus this happens every season where we think we finally fixed something in the secondary only for them to regress the next season.

2011- ???
2010- Bernard Pollard
2009- Fred Bennett
2008- Will Demps
Old 02-11-2011   #17
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Allen played decently for us last season, but he also gave up a lot of big plays (the 50 yard pass to Braylen Edwards where he played inside technique and let him go out of bounds with 10 seconds left on the clock comes to mind).

Plus this happens every season where we think we finally fixed something in the secondary only for them to regress the next season.

2011- ???
2010- Bernard Pollard
2009- Fred Bennett
2008- Will Demps
A Lot of Big plays. The one you mentioned is pretty much the only one i remember. Whats the other ones ?
Old 02-11-2011   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He takes too many risks and won't rely on coverage abilities. I think he'd be better suited as a FS. Kinda sad when we have a bunch of FS's playing CB and not one actually playing FS
Old 02-11-2011   #19
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
He takes too many risks and won't rely on coverage abilities. I think he'd be better suited as a FS. Kinda sad when we have a bunch of FS's playing CB and not one actually playing FS
I still didnt see all these big plays he gave up that every one is talking about. And if u watch all 3 videos at the top all 3 show excellent coverage skills.
Old 02-11-2011   #20
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A Lot of Big plays. The one you mentioned is pretty much the only one i remember. Whats the other ones ?
I would have to go back and look at tape but they were definitely there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read