Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-10-2011   #41
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McShay 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Me too

They have the ability. It's about who will put the work in. That's what makes the draft such a crapshoot.

R.Smith gets paid alot of $$$$ to make these decisions and so far his track record is spotty at best to put it kindly. Espcially when it comes to picking defensive players. Which is the side of the ball he focuses his scouting on.

Kubiak focuses scouting the offensive side of the ball. I've read this somewhere but dont have a link.
I'm beginning to think more & more that we should take Julio in the first
Old 02-10-2011   #42
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I'm beginning to think more & more that we should take Julio in the first
Julio would be a safe pick, if he's there?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #43
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I think probably moreso than anyone that is being talked about in the 5-15 range right now.
Old 02-10-2011   #44
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
After all of the reaching and missing Julio would be my pick. He would represent less bust potential than any other player. If he's there at 11.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #45
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Even Cushing.... "everybody" thought we would take Matthews...... I wanted Rey-Rey.

Wilson was supposed to be our pick...... understandable by some if the Texans took McCourty. Jackson wasn't on anybody's radar.... except one guy here, maybe rmartin, maybe steelbtexans....

Brown??? who the heck was Brown, big surprise.
I had Matthews ahead of Cushing, I hated the Cushing pick at the time, ate crow his rookie season and have sadly seemed vindicated since.

With Jackson, I had McCourty and then Kyle Wilson ahead of him, I had Jackson as a late 1st early 2nd round guy.

The Okoye pick I was screaming for Willis, he could have moved Ryans to Will or played the Sam, have to admit I missed on Revis.

I had Brown as a late 2nd to 3rd round prospect, not a starter from day one type.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Dont be. Its not as easy as some believe, there are many factors that come into play. How is the guy in space? How is he in the hips (flexibility)? How are his read and react skills? For example, a lot of people are talking up Kerrigan as a rush OLB. I dont see it, he is not that kind of athlete.
It depends. Demarcus Ware rushed the QB 99.98% of the time his first two years. Even now, he doesn't drop into coverage anymore than Mario did in 2009.
Old 02-10-2011   #47
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Weren't you the one who predicted the Duane Brown pick, though?
Nope. I got the Barwin pick right two years ago, and the Holliday pick last year. Hoping to make it 3 years in a row getting a pick right this year.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2011   #48
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It depends. Demarcus Ware rushed the QB 99.98% of the time his first two years. Even now, he doesn't drop into coverage anymore than Mario did in 2009.
Yes and no. It is still a different skill set rushing the passer standing up, versus hand on the ground.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #49
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 7912 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I had Matthews ahead of Cushing, I hated the Cushing pick at the time, ate crow his rookie season and have sadly seemed vindicated since.

With Jackson, I had McCourty and then Kyle Wilson ahead of him, I had Jackson as a late 1st early 2nd round guy.
ditto

I also believe we should take Julio if Von Miller isn't there. Julio and Von seem like the safest picks to me.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #50
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just want a bad mother ****er. I don't care what position.
Old 02-11-2011   #51
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Speaking of Am0bi Ok0ye.....

Seems like he came on real strong at the Senior Bowl and the Combine that year. God knows he hasn't done anything since then.

Maybe there was a few guys on the board that didn't like the pick, but I don't remember any of the Kipers or McShays having a bad word to say about the pick at the time.
I wasn't sold on the guy either. He was impressive in the Senior Bowl but honestly I don't remember a thing about his college career where I thought...Top 10.

I think at this point you have to go with one of the DE/OLB that are left..many fit the new scheme...Aldon Smith, Ayers, Kerrigan and Cameron Jordan who plays DT too.
Old 02-11-2011   #52
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51561 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Weren't you the one who predicted the Duane Brown pick, though?
Porky called Duane Brown.
Old 02-11-2011   #53
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Mock, Listen to this Dumb ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
If the Texans are Unable to bring in a veteran ?!?!?!?!? If Kubiak and Smith leave us in the same position with the kiddie CBs as they did last season and bring in another kiddie CB i will have to say that they are possibly the worst Coach/GM Duo to ever run a team in the History of the NFL. Forget Drafting a CB, Resign Jason Allen, bring in a Big name CB as our Number 1, then J. Allen as our number 2. Quinn/Jackson play Nickle/Dime our Their DS on the Sidelines, they will be more help doing that than they were last season.
They won't know if they will be able to sign a CB at the time of the draft if they are still in lockout mode...

Julio Jones or front seven defensive pick for me...
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #54
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I called Cushing and Barwin.

Thanks for the rep Senor Stan.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
They won't know if they will be able to sign a CB at the time of the draft if they are still in lockout mode...

I wonder how Jacoby would be at CB......
Old 02-11-2011   #56
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I called Cushing and Barwin.

Thanks for the rep Senor Stan.
how about four, Tate in 3rd, Mitchell 5th, Shelly Smith & Trindon Holiday 6th. Funny 1st pick never on my screen, how is that possible? I was so mad about it, why are Texans not trading down then taking KJ with two higher rated cb prospects on board (McCourty/Wilson)? rationalized it this way, Texans know what they want, liked his film & Sabin coaching. then impressed @ combine/interview & private workouts, which none of us had access (only tweets). Kareem is not a tweener he's a tweeter.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #57
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post

Yep. If a CBA isn't agreed to until Sept. (aka when the games should be starting) it's going to be a madhouse scramble trying to get some FAs in here and signing everybody. Then, they're getting to your team for the first time... first practice, if they're lucky.. and then there will be the first game of the season. This year there will probably be a LOT of blown assignments and rusty looking players.

Totally agree on your draft wishes. Julio Jones or front seven for me.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #58
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wonder how Jacoby would be at CB......
He'd probably be really good at dropping interceptions.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take Julio.

I think he has the most potential to come in and help us from day 1.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #60
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Nope, Jackson was not on my radar. Unfortunately, neither was McCourty. I missed the ball with him, he is looking pretty good while I wanted nothing to do with him before the draft.
Let's not forget that McShay had Haden #1, Wilson #2 & McCourty #3

Discounting Haden, I had McCourty & Jackson neck to neck and Wilson in third place.
The reason I had McCourty slightly ahead was due to McCourty's recovery speed.
Their 40 time at the combine; however, was the same.
After the Texans drafted Jackson, I went back and watched more tapes, I believe in the long term, Jackson will be the better player overall.
(But of course, that will depend on their own circumstaces; how the teams employ them. I don't know for sure about McCourty's work habit, but he seems to be playing hard all the time, so I think he will be fine in that regard. I don't have no problem whatsoever with Jackson in this regard either.)

You guys must remember that McCourty played mostly as a cover 2 corner for the Pats (sometimes he would be in cover 3.)
Regardless of the scheme, he had more safeties' help than Jackson.

I reviewed at least 7 of the Pats' games.
When I looked at the defensive alignment, I noticed this:
Let's say the offense is in single back so that there 2 receiving threats on each side.
At least 90% of the time, you can count on more defenders to be on McCourty's side (or shading toward McCourty's side).
A DT putting a hand up in the passing lane is also of great help to the CB, let's not forget that.
Even when they played 2 deep safeties, from time to time, the second safety would shade over a little so that the main supporting safety (to McCourty) can be of more help to the rookie.

I did not like Wilson as much, because he took bad angles a bit much to my liking.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read