Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-08-2011   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Interested in Phillip Hunt

I watched him a few times when he was with UH. Sounds like he's been kickin booty in the CFL.

Quote:
The Texans have joined the Vikings in showing interest in CFL pass rusher Phillip Hunt.
The window to sign CFL players ends on February 15. Hunt, 23, looks the part of a 3-4 OLB like the Texans need at 6'2/260. He also is a Houston native, having played college ball for the Cougars. As a member of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this past season, Hunt led the Canadian League with 16 sacks.
http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football
Old 02-08-2011   #2
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Interested in Phillip Hunt

He got some talk from draftniks on this board when he came out of UH.
Old 02-08-2011   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Yeah, he was a decent LB considering how poor UH's defense was. I wasn't certain where he'd get drafted, if at all, but thought he'd at least be a nice UDFA for someone. Maybe he elected to go to the CFL?

16 sacks in a season's pretty good even for the CFL.
Old 02-08-2011   #4
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i can tell you that here in winnipeg. we love the guy!!!! but id rather see him in a texans uni then a blue and gold one
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #5
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 5456 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

It's worth a shot. Sometimes good players slip under the radar (Tramon Williams, anyone?). I can't imagine he would be very expensive to bring in.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
It's worth a shot. Sometimes good players slip under the radar (Tramon Williams, anyone?). I can't imagine he would be very expensive to bring in.
Plus he's from H-town. I remember seeing a bunch of his family and friends at the Shrine Game that year, which was in Houston. So, I'd reckon we'd have the upperhand vs the Vikes.
Old 02-08-2011   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
There were many including myself that wanted the Texans to draft Hunt.

But because of having to draft between 2-4 TE's every yr there wasn't enough picks to take Hunt. So now if Gary and Rick want Hunt they're going to have to overpay.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2011   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

But because of having to draft between 2-4 TE's every yr there wasn't enough picks to take Hunt. So now if Gary and Rick want Hunt they're going to have to overpay.
I still don't think he'll be that expensive, relatively speaking. I'd like to think we have a huge edge in signing him due to the Houston connection and all. Plus, if we get him, this clears up the draft for us to select a couple more TEs...
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe he was in the Browns TC and then bounced around a few teams.

I like him, but I think he's strictly a edge rushing DE or OLB, which is fine in this scheme.
He's not quite strong enough to play DE in the NFL.
And I also think he lacks the fluidity to drop back into coverage.
(But heck, he can't do worse than most of our LBs, lol).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:

What about the other 31 teams? I guess they're just as stupid, huh. Dumb comment just to fit in a Gary/Rick jab.

Take your Texans FO jabs to one of the many threads on this board. Can we try to keep this one football related by discussing the player's potential with the Texans? I know it might be tough for you to do, but try. Not many of us like things the FO have done, but we don't make it a priority to involve a FO comment in practically every post.
Old 02-08-2011   #11
CharloTex
All Pro

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 17942 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's funny.

I suspect Smithiak is scouring the college ranks, as we speak, looking for the TE's who show the best acumen and ability at rushing the passer.
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #12
CharloTex
All Pro

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 17942 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
What about the other 31 teams? I guess they're just as stupid, huh. Dumb comment just to fit in a Gary/Rick jab.

Take your Texans FO jabs to one of the many threads on this board. Can we try to keep this one football related by discussing the player's potential with the Texans? I know it might be tough for you to do, but try. Not many of us like things the FO have done, but we don't make it a priority to involve a FO comment in practically every post.
Chill out dude. You want nothing but sterilized football talk for the rest of this offseason, which might last until October? Believe me, if we aren't laughing, we'll be crying - buckets of rain.
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #13
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully the Texans can bring this guy in, and have him work out for them. Its worth a shot.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharloTex View Post
Chill out dude. You want nothing but sterilized football talk for the rest of this offseason, which might last until October? Believe me, if we aren't laughing, we'll be crying - buckets of rain.
What? Is it too much to ask to have one thread that doesn't turn into a ***** and whine fest?

Chill out? Me? I'm about as chill as it gets around here. If y'all want to make every thread a whiner....then go for it.
Old 02-08-2011   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What? Is it too much to ask to have one thread that doesn't turn into a ***** and whine fest?

Chill out? Me? I'm about as chill as it gets around here. If y'all want to make every thread a whiner....then go for it.
We won't sign Hunt because Bob is too cheap...
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans Rumors: Texans Interested In Ex-Cougar, CFL Star Hunt
By Rivers McCown - Managing Editor

Quote:
Feb 8, 2011 - FoxSports.com's Adam Caplan is reporting that the Texans have thrown their hat into the chase for ex-UH defensive end Phillip Hunt. The team brought him in for a workout on December 28th, probably with visions that he had a chance to become their own version of Cameron Wake.

Hunt, who posted 19 sacks over the past two seasons with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, went unselected in the 2009 NFL Draft. He signed with the Browns a few days after the draft but was waived during the preseason. He signed with the Blue Bombers in September of that year. He was the CFL's top pass rusher this past season with 16 sacks.

The Texans are shifting to a 3-4 defensive scheme this coming season. While Hunt played with his hand down in Winnipeg's 4-3 defensive scheme, he did have limited experience in the 3-4 during his time with the Browns.

A pro personnel source told FOXSports.com that Hunt would fit in as a situational pass rusher in the NFL for about 10-20 plays per game.

It would certainly be an interesting fit for the Texans, who would probably wind up using him as an outside linebacker in Wade Phillips' new 3-4 scheme. If Hunt is anywhere near Wake's prowess in the Texans' eyes, the team could possibly sign him and let he and Connor Barwin duke it out for the spot as a premiere pass-rushing end. Even if the team sees him as more of a situational rusher, that could still be pretty handy for a team that is transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and might not have the right players for the scheme at every spot.
Some additional history:

Quote:
12/20/10 - LB Phillip Hunt had a tryout with the Patriots on Monday. He worked out for Cleveland and Philadelphia last week.

12/16/10 - LB Phillip Hunt, who was released by Tampa Bay in August, had a tryout with the Eagles and Browns this week.

12/15/10 - LB Phillip Hunt, who was released by Tampa Bay in August, had a tryout with the Eagles.

08/18/09 - LB Phillip Hunt was waived by the Browns.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

If Wade thinks Hunt would help then sign him.
Old 02-08-2011   #18
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Some folks need to click this button when replying.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #19
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87319 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

His middle name isn't Michael by any chance is it?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It appears that you dont appreciate my sense of humor. LOL

I was just trying to point out that now the Texans are going to have to over pay. I didn't mean that as a jab at the Texans FO.

If I wanted to take a jab at the FO. There are many other instances I would have used instead of a CFL star/UDFA.

Sorry I made your blood pressure rise.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read