Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-07-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A Big Standing O to Dom Capers

Dom Capers former head coach of the Houston Texans won a SuperBowl on Sunday and I would like to say Congratulations to Dom. This brings us familar to territory Having hired Wade Phillips who is Extremely similar to Dom Capers being respected through out the league as a DC but never fulfilling his potential as a HC. With the blue print GB has set can the Texans copy it and make a run of thier own to the promise land of the Playoffs and more?

Mike McCarthy HC former OC
Gary Kubiak

Dom Capers DC with HC exp
Wade Phillips

GB 34 Def
Hou 34 Def

Gb top 10 QB
Hou former top 10 QB

GB strong LB core
Hou strong LB core

The differences be between GB AND HOU would be a long list but lets list the similarities
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #2
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114521 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Big Standing O to Dom Capers

Green Bay has a combined 11 world championships.

Texans havent even strongly competed for a division crown.

Done.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #3
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

thats what ive been thinking seeing GB win i thought IS HOU really that far off from getting to there level

Yes last time we played greenbay we beat them in a tough game

yes idk what anyone says PLaying in the AFC is much harder then playing in the NFC

But I think Hou already has all the peices anything new we get will just be some Xtra stuff at this point

THe only thing that worries me is our New D i think it might take 2 years to get it All there and US neglecting our O for 3 years now i think the Level of play might drop off (knocks on wood)

if there is only half a season this year tho i think it might help us
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Done.
That has little to no relevance to this discussion.

Mark Murphy - President and CEO joined team in 2007/08. Had no championship experience outside of yesterdary.
Mike McCarthy - Head Coach joined team in 2006. Had no HC championship experience outside of yesterday.
Ted Thompson - General Manager joined team in 2005. Had no GM championship experience outside of yesterday.

Surely you're not suggesting this current staff was responsible for all those Championships, the last of which was earned in Jan. 1998.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #5
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

All I could think, watching Dom's defense, was: Why couldn't we have gotten Dom back in Houston instead of Wade?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #6
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114521 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Mark Murphy - President and CEO joined team in 2007/08. Had no championship experience outside of yesterdary.
Mike McCarthy - Head Coach joined team in 2006. Had no HC championship experience outside of yesterday.
Ted Thompson - General Manager joined team in 2005. Had no GM championship experience outside of yesterday.

Surely you're not suggesting this current staff was responsible for all those Championships, the last of which was earned in Jan. 1998.
A history of winning vs. a short history of mediocrity. Before we start comparing ourselves to any other franchise lets take a first step. Winning a division title would be a nice start.

Not this " well damn look at all this potential:.
Old 02-07-2011   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A history of winning vs. a short history of mediocrity.
My thoughts exactly. Thanks for saving me the typing.

Houston fans seem to lack comprehension of what championship tradition does for a franchise, and most likely because Houston football teams have never experienced it.
Old 02-07-2011   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A history of winning vs. a short history of mediocrity. Before we start comparing ourselves to any other franchise lets take a first step. Winning a division title would be a nice start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
My thoughts exactly. Thanks for saving me the typing.

Houston fans seem to lack comprehension of what championship tradition does for a franchise, and most likely because Houston football teams have never experienced it.
Hmmm, then maybe Houston fans need to be a little easier on Cowboys fans and refrain from all the "who cares if you won the SB almost twenty years ago" comments. Apparently that isn't Cowboy fan arrogance and actually reflects a current franchise structural superiority even if the records were the same last year.
Old 02-07-2011   #9
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

VUGG EM! I won't give him props unless he packages up that ring he's going to get and GIVES it to Andre Johnson.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #10
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Hmmm, then maybe Houston fans need to be a little easier on Cowboys fans and refrain from all the "who cares if you won the SB almost twenty years ago" comments. Apparently that isn't Cowboy fan arrogance and actually reflects a current franchise structural superiority even if the records were the same last year.
I never said that. I have always stated that 98% of the Cowboys fanbase are just classless *********s and that was their problem as a franchise. Packers and Steeler fans, for example, carry themselves with a certain level of class.

Also why on earth would I give Capers a standing O? Yay the guy is a good DC, as a HC he is worse than Kubiak, which says a ton. Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes and stays a DC. Some guys are bjust not meant to be head coaches in the NFL. We have two of them currently.

EDIT: the censors on this board are borderline ridiculous. IMO of course.
Old 02-07-2011   #11
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never said that. I have always stated that 98% of the Cowboys fanbase are just classless *********s and that was their problem as a franchise. Packers and Steeler fans, for example, carry themselves with a certain level of class.

Also why on earth would I give Capers a standing O? Yay the guy is a good DC, as a HC he is worse than Kubiak, which says a ton. Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes and stays a DC. Some guys are bjust not meant to be head coaches in the NFL. We have two of them currently.

EDIT: the censors on this board are borderline ridiculous. IMO of course.
Man, I wish I could say that but I live in the valley and 90% of fans are cowboy fans but I work with two of the most annoying Steelers fans on the face of the earth. It was good coming to work today.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

These similarities make the Texans brass look worse considering Thompson is considered a top GM and McCarthy was hired the same time as Kubes. Maybe they actually found the right track. Especially since they did it with a year of horrendous injuries for the season and big game. No excuses there
Old 02-07-2011   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
These similarities make the Texans brass look worse considering Thompson is considered a top GM and McCarthy was hired the same time as Kubes. Maybe they actually found the right track. Especially since they did it with a year of horrendous injuries for the season and big game. No excuses there
IIRC, they had maybe the 2nd highest injuries this year?

Second-youngest team in the NFL.

Major defensive players went out during the SB game. A major WR, too.

An unknown at RB.

Could it have been the coaching? Could it have been superior coaching?
Old 02-07-2011   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
yep. But, you know me. I'm far from a Cowboys fan but I give the franchise the props it deserves as a fan of the NFL.

If most Houston fans were honest about it, the hate comes from jealousy and envy. We were raised in it by our parents in many cases, especially because the Oilers could never get to the big game.
Old 02-07-2011   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not this " well damn look at all this potential:.
I'm not discounting the Packers as a franchise and what they've accomplished during their 90+ year history. I'm also well aware of the Texans mediocrity (if you want to give them that much credit) during our limited existence since 2002.

The point of the original post was not comparing the two franchises as whole. It was stating and comparing the similarities of our CURRENT situation.

Mike McCarthy / Gary Kubiak - Both entered their respective clubs as 1st time Head Coaches the same year. Both were previous Offensive Coordinators.

Dom Capers / Wade Phillips - Both have Head Coaching experience and both have been fired as Head Coaches. Both are respected Defensive minds in the NFL and very well thought of as Defensive Coordinators.

Defense - Both teams previously ran 4-3 base defenses before the new (above named) DC's transitioned them into a 3-4 base. Packers witnessed an immediate turnaround on the D after the switch.

No one is saying "we're just as good as the Packers" or "we've had just as much succes as them". Far from it. Are the Packers a better team? No sh*t they are. Have they had more success in their history? No sh*t they have.

But there are some similarities between the two teams RIGHT NOW. Let's just hope we can find the same success that the Packers did. Let's hope that Wade Phillips turns out to be that same "failed HC" that comes back as a DC and brings success to his team. The Texans are at that point where we can make that turn and get over the edge. It's still wait and see, we're still waiting for that. That's the whole point. Is this the turnaround or isn't it? Is Wade that piece that can turn this Defense into a Top 5 unit like Capers did? We've got to wait and see. I hate we havn't gotten there just as much as the next guy... but at least I can see some of the similarities. That's all it is.
Old 02-07-2011   #16
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Done.
Green Bay has 13 championships.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
It was stating and comparing the similarities of our CURRENT situation.
The problem with comparisons, though, is that there are many more facets than just head coach and coordinators. You've got GM, scouts, trainers, and the rest of the front office that has to be the best qualified at their positions that a team can hire.

According to many reports, McNair is very loyal to his staff and will not fire people to hire someone else that is more credentialed and better qualified. Hence, 9 years of mediocre results.
Old 02-07-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
All I could think, watching Dom's defense, was: Why couldn't we have gotten Dom back in Houston instead of Wade?
After watching Dom in Greenbay the last couple of years, the thing I wondered was why didn't he focus on the Defense. If he wanted Carr to look good, a top five defense would have gone a long way.
Old 02-07-2011   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The problem with comparisons, though, is that there are many more facets than just head coach and coordinators. You've got GM, scouts, trainers, and the rest of the front office that has to be the best qualified at their positions that a team can hire.

According to many reports, McNair is very loyal to his staff and will not fire people to hire someone else that is more credentialed and better qualified. Hence, 9 years of mediocre results.
You're absolutely right and I agree totally. I don't think you're EVER going to find two instances that are exactly the same to compare each other too. There are always going to be variables. That's why I keyed on the word similarities. This isn't a "Compare the Packers and Texans" thread. It's pointing out some SPECIFIC similarities between the two for us to discuss. Namely: 1st time head coaches, Failed HC's that come in as DC's that are very respected in that field from across the league, two pretty damn good QBs, etc etc.

Thompson and Smith are actually kind of similar as GM comparisons in my opinion. Both are 1st time GM's. Not the same, not exact... similar.

Packers have obviously dealth with their change, additions, subtractions over the last 6 years than the Texans have. Kudos Packers. Win Packers. Fail Texans. But the similarities are still there.

If we have to find two exact situations that have everything in common we can never have a discussion on this board. We can't compare the Patriots and Colts, we can't compare Peyton and Brady, we can't compare draft prospects to current pros. The list goes on.

I can't believe some people are having such a hard time understanding what the OP is just trying to state.
Old 02-07-2011   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
You're absolutely right and I agree totally. I don't think you're EVER going to find two instances that are exactly the same to compare each other too. There are always going to be variables. That's why I keyed on the word similarities. This isn't a "Compare the Packers and Texans" thread. It's pointing out some SPECIFIC similarities between the two for us to discuss. Namely: 1st time head coaches, Failed HC's that come in as DC's that are very respected in that field from across the league, two pretty damn good QBs, etc etc.

Thompson and Smith are actually kind of similar as GM comparisons in my opinion. Both are 1st time GM's. Not the same, not exact... similar.

Packers have obviously dealth with their change, additions, subtractions over the last 6 years than the Texans have. Kudos Packers. Win Packers. Fail Texans. But the similarities are still there.

If we have to find two exact situations that have everything in common we can never have a discussion on this board. We can't compare the Patriots and Colts, we can't compare Peyton and Brady, we can't compare draft prospects to current pros. The list goes on.

I can't believe some people are having such a hard time understanding what the OP is just trying to state.
Good points, man, and I agree. There are certainly similarities between the teams, and based upon your analysis, I could almost get excited for the Texans. It's those front office personnel (and lack of faith in Kubiak) that prevent me from truly being excited, though, simply because I do think that they are also part of the fundamental problems with our beloved team.

But solid discussion, man. Props.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read