Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-11-2005   #21
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

it's good that we signed him now we can target a reciever in the 3rd round like texas a&m's terrence murphy and give him time to progress to our number 2 guy for a year

wells is a solid contributor he can be the punishing runner that capers wants if he stays in the weight room consistantly
Old 04-11-2005   #22
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I love this signing. I really would hate to use the #13 pick on Williamson. Not trashing him, but I think its a bit high.

Now we can target a RB, CB, or Linebacker.

Also really makes me think we really are going to trade up.

CB, Antrel Rolle
LB, Derrick Johnson
One of the big 3 RB.

Even Mike Williams would be nice. Dont get me wrong, I dont think that WR is a waste in the 1st round. But I just think that there are only 2 WR to go for in the top of round 1. And we've got our Braylon Edwards.

Last edited by Blake; 04-11-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #23
Paragon Blue
Veteran

i think this is a good thing for us but I still think we take a reciever in the second round. some mocks have us taking Reggie Brown in the second.
Old 04-11-2005   #24
SESupergenius

I actually like the signing too, he's a veteran that won't coun't a lot against our cap. Besides we can always draft a WR to compete with him and let them dook it out in camp. If a rookie WR takes a couple of years to excel then we won't be regressing.......unlike the ILB spots! :woot
Old 04-11-2005   #25
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

seems we setting our team up so that we don't have a glaring need. (glaring being the key word)....we are keeping the team balanced so that how ever the first 12 picks go..we can still have options and not reach for a certain position...with that said...it makes it tough to see what we will do.

one trade up and get one of the elite players or trade down and get some players to groom when these veteran contracts are up? (i.e WR...CB...DL.)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #26
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also really makes me think we really are going to trade up.
I have a sneaky suspicion it's DJ. Just don't break the bank if you do it.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #27
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I have a sneaky suspicion it's DJ. Just don't break the bank if you do it.
$20 bucks says we break open the vault faster than a girl on prom night.

Im thinking 1st, 2nd, and one of the 3rds, for Miami's #2 overall pick.
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2005   #28
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

for the home state DJ...make this johnson and johnson's team...sure why not...but i could easily see us trading up with the cards for antrel rolle too
Old 04-11-2005   #29
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Great analogy...Ahhh memories

I'm sorry to say it, but I think our most likely trade partner is the Titans...I would hate to hand them our first day again...
Old 04-11-2005   #30
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
for the home state DJ...make this johnson and johnson's team...sure why not...but i could easily see us trading up with the cards for antrel rolle too
At least we could get some advertisment deals out of it.
Old 04-11-2005   #31
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

let's just hope Cleveland doesn't take him at #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #32
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Alex Barron it is
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #33
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
Alex Barron it is
I really, really hope not...What a waste of a pick he would be...But "word on the street" is the Texans don't even have Barron as the top rated OT on their board, so chances are my fears won't be realized...
Old 04-11-2005   #34
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK

Im thinking 1st, 2nd, and one of the 3rds, for Miami's #2 overall pick.
Sounds just like what I was thinking. But, I'm going to have to quote aj on his great article earlier in the month:

Quote:
Most value charts have the second overall pick rated as 2600 “points.” The Texans currently own the 13th pick overall – a pick worth 1150 points according to most charts. So how could the Texans move all the way from 13 to second in the opening minutes of the draft on April 23? Well, you have to give up something to get something. And what the Texans would have to give the Dolphins in this case, in addition to their pick at 13 would be draft picks totaling 1450 points on the value chart – the difference between the second and 13th pick.

One scenario could have the Texans moving up to the No. 2 slot if they give up their first round pick (13th overall), their second round pick (47th overall), and one of their two third round picks this year (73rd or 78th overall). And that’s just for starters. That still leaves them about 800 points shy of an equitable deal according to the value chart. If GM Charley Casserly bets that the Texans capture the last playoff spot this season and register the 12th best record in the league - a possibility but not a certainty, that would give the Texans the 21st pick overall next year which happens to be worth 800 points.
So it would have to be the #13, 2nd, 3rd, and a 2006 #1.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #35
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Sounds just like what I was thinking. But, I'm going to have to quote aj on his great article earlier in the month:

interesting,but I kinda hope we don't do that given the age of Coleman,Glenn,Walker, and Payne,it would be tough to get that defense younger
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #36
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Well if this is the case you might as well add Derrick Johnson to your "Ahh, nevermind" signature.
Old 04-11-2005   #37
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Thing is though, that teams dont take out the pick chart and read it before doing a trade, our 1rst rounder and 2nd rounder and maybe our lower 3rd rounder for Miami's #2 stands fine. We need to go up to 2, to make sure Cleveland doesnt grab him.

P.S.- You never know, maybe Casserly already has a move up trade in place and is just waiting to announce it directly before the pick we are trading up for.
Ex.- Maybe there's already a deal for Miami's #2, but wont announce it yet in fear Cleveland would trade up for #1 and take D.J.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #38
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 446 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
Thing is though, that teams dont take out the pick chart and read it before doing a trade, our 1rst rounder and 2nd rounder and maybe our lower 3rd rounder for Miami's #2 stands fine. We need to go up to 2, to make sure Cleveland doesnt grab him.
Add to that: each team develops their own draft chart and that chart values are relative to the talent in each draft.

I'd be surprised to see the Texans get up to #2. The 13 spot seems awfully far for Miami to drop; but anything is possible. With that said: if they move up, the team may want roll the dice on Chicago at 3 and move up to snag a top talent at 4-11.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #39
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

That article was my doomsday scenario and a bit of hyperbole by design. I really don't think it will take the #1 next year to get there, but on draft day when buck fever and the yips abound you never know what might happen, especially with a GM who is predicatably unpredictable.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #40
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3474 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunno. Trading up in this year's draft should be cheaper. Several of the top 10 teams would probably love to trade down...

I'm not crazy about Bradford's signing because he's just not worth getting excited about. But I think we'll eventually be surprised that whoever trades up will do so for less than what's being estimated.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read