Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-05-2011   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Players no one are talking about

Mike Pouncey, G/C, Florida
Man I wanted his brother last year.
Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois
Could play inside with his size or outside with his speed
Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
Love to pick him up later in the draft
Arizona DE/OLB Brooks Reed
Cant understand why this guy hasnt got talked about.
North Carolina CB Kendric Burney
Would make a solid nickel CB if around late.
Miami LB Colin McCarthy
Mean and nasty demeanor would contribute right away on special teams
Danny Watkins Baylor OG
Another late round guy to develope
Sam Acho Texas (OLB)
Speed off the edge
Sione Fua Stanford (NT)
I want him for the right price.
Ian Williams Notre Dame (NT)
Should he fall to the 5th round I would jump all over him.

I would love to see us do some trading down and get several of these guys
Old 02-05-2011   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77873 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Players no one are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Miami LB Colin McCarthy
Danny Watkins Baylor OG
Sam Acho Texas (OLB)
Speed off the edge
Sione Fua Stanford (NT)

Pouncey is no where as good as his brother, his buzz is a little name recognition driven like Matthews from Oregon.

Brooks Reed is getting love in quite a few of these draft threads.

The others haven't got too much love here yet.
Old 02-05-2011   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Devin House CB-can open hips better than most DB's in draft, really talented.

James Brewer OT- Will have to play RT or move inside to guard

Eugene Clifford S Really talented S. Played at Ohio St. as Freshman and transfered to Tenn. St.

K.J.Wright OLB Miss St. Just a playmaker

Chris Neild NT WVU, very good against the run.

Jason Teague CB, TCU, Very underrated CB on very good TCU defense.

Sharece Wright CB, USC Playmaker.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll just mention one name, someone I need to go back & look at his tape.

CB, Texas, Curtis Brown, 5-11 180

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Jabaal Sheard - DE- Pitt.

Big East Defensive Player of the Year who could make the conversion from college DE to pro 3-4 OLB. Just a ferocious type of player you usually see on the Ravens, Steelers, or Jets.
Old 02-05-2011   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nate Irving

DeAndre Brown

Derrick Locke
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
K.J.Wright OLB Miss St. Just a playmaker
I like K.J. Wright, had him in a few mocks a while back but he has moved up draft boards since then. He's got great size and playmaking ability but he's a little slow for an OLB. I'd pick him and move him inside so that his lack of speed isn't so much of a factor.

Steven Friday-DE/OLB, this guy could be a later round gem. Here's what Walter has to say about him.
Height: 6-4. Weight: 252.
Projected 40 Time: 4.66.
Combine 40 Time: .
Pro Day 40 Time: .
Benchx225: . Vertical: .
Projected Round (2011): 4-6.
10/8/10: Friday is a little bit of a sleeper. He has a terrific burst off the edge and nice speed, and shows the ability to dip and rip. He can drop in coverage and shows good range. Friday has 21 tackles, 7.5 TFL, four sacks and two forced fumbles on the year.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 02-06-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2011   #8
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like K.J. Wright, had him in a few mocks a while back but he has moved up draft boards since then. He's got great size and playmaking ability but he's a little slow for an OLB. I'd pick him and move him inside so that his lack of speed isn't so much of a factor.

Steven Friday-DE/OLB, this guy could be a later round gem. Here's what Walter has to say about him.
Height: 6-4. Weight: 252.
Projected 40 Time: 4.66.
Combine 40 Time: .
Pro Day 40 Time: .
Benchx225: . Vertical: .
Projected Round (2011): 4-6.
10/8/10: Friday is a little bit of a sleeper. He has a terrific burst off the edge and nice speed, and shows the ability to dip and rip. He can drop in coverage and shows good range. Friday has 21 tackles, 7.5 TFL, four sacks and two forced fumbles on the year.
Im confused why you are concerned about his speed when the scouting report you posted says he has "terrific burst off the edge and nice speed" If his projected 40 time is accurate a 4.6 40 for a 6'4" 250+ LB is good. Jon Beason and David Harris ran a 4.7 and 4.59 respectively.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #9
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Miami LB Colin McCarthy
Danny Watkins Baylor OG
Sam Acho Texas (OLB)
Speed off the edge
Sione Fua Stanford (NT)

There are some great players there. Heck if we traded down and ended up with Martez Wilson, Aaron Williams, Brooks Reed, Sione Fua and Ian Williams I'd be really happy. Watkins looks really good as well. Would love to see him at Rt guard. Maybe his age will cause him to drop some.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Nate Irving
I'm glad more people have taken notice of Nate Irving this year. I don't think he will qualify for a player that nobody is talking about after the combine.

Markus White, DE/OLB Fla State. 6'3 260 per Florida State. He's tall so I will give him 6'3 but I think he will weigh in the 250s at the combine. He was the JUCO player of the year in his recruiting class. I think he set a new JUCO sack record or something. He finished his career with 28.5 TFL, 13 sacks (8 in his senior year). He added 3 forced fumbles and an INT for a TD.

Playing with Everette Brown and Neefy Moffett in his first year he wasn't able to see alot of PT. He was pretty disappointing in his first year as a full time starter in 2009 when he only had 2 sacks, but played well in his senior year as he bulked up and became a more complete football player. He's an athletic guy that thrived under Mark Stoops' attacking scheme last year. He is being looked at as a 3-4 OLB, and we may be able to get him in the 5th or 6th round.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'm glad more people have taken notice of Nate Irving this year. I don't think he will qualify for a player that nobody is talking about after the combine.

Markus White, DE/OLB Fla State. 6'3 260 per Florida State. He's tall so I will give him 6'3 but I think he will weigh in the 250s at the combine. He was the JUCO player of the year in his recruiting class. I think he set a new JUCO sack record or something. He finished his career with 28.5 TFL, 13 sacks (8 in his senior year). He added 3 forced fumbles and an INT for a TD.

Playing with Everette Brown and Neefy Moffett in his first year he wasn't able to see alot of PT. He was pretty disappointing in his first year as a full time starter in 2009 when he only had 2 sacks, but played well in his senior year as he bulked up and became a more complete football player. He's an athletic guy that thrived under Mark Stoops' attacking scheme last year. He is being looked at as a 3-4 OLB, and we may be able to get him in the 5th or 6th round.
You've always done an excellent job keeping us in Texas appraised of Seminole talent. Just wanted to get your take on Christian Ponder? I'm not sure or not but he could wind up being better than Jake Locker? He looks like he could be a nice fit in the Texans system.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #12
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
You've always done an excellent job keeping us in Texas appraised of Seminole talent. Just wanted to get your take on Christian Ponder? I'm not sure or not but he could wind up being better than Jake Locker? He looks like he could be a nice fit in the Texans system.
I like Ponder but i think hes going to be a 3rd or 4th round pick and i wouldnt take him at that point
Old 02-06-2011   #13
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Ross Homan (OLB Ohio St.) is not being talked about enough. He had a productive career and can make plays at his position (e.g. making key tackles, grabing INTs, etc)

He is undersized (6'0" 227-Lbs) but plays hard every down and has good closing speed and tackles better than anyone I have see thus far.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #14
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 7912 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Tyrod Taylor -4-5th round QB

Watched all his starting games (yes homer) but he has a more accurate arm than Vick coming out of college and has an uncanny ability to keep looking down the field instead of scrambling. (Does not get enough credit for this) and played in one of the worst designed offenses (every receiver runs deep on every play)
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #15
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77873 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Tyrod Taylor -4-5th round QB

Watched all his starting games (yes homer) but he has a more accurate arm than Vick coming out of college and has an uncanny ability to keep looking down the field instead of scrambling. (Does not get enough credit for this) and played in one of the worst designed offenses (every receiver runs deep on every play)
He did seem to have pretty good field vision from what I saw of him.
Old 02-08-2011   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ponder is kinda like a guy who does a lot of things well, but do not exel in any particular area.

He's be a project, IMO.
If he can improve a little in several areas than he would have a chance.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Karl Klug 3-4 DE, Iowa - Mid/late round selection, coached by Wade in East-West Shrine game.

Side note: If Foster's fan club is deemed Arian Nation, Karl's will be the Karl Klug Klan. Ok, sorry bad/offensive joke.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Karl Klug 3-4 DE, Iowa - Mid/late round selection, coached by Wade in East-West Shrine game.

Side note: If Foster's fan club is deemed Arian Nation, Karl's will be the Karl Klug Klan. Ok, sorry bad/offensive joke.
LOL at the joke!

I agree that Klug is probably a mid/late rounder.
But we don't need one of those guys at DE, do we?
Old 02-08-2011   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
LOL at the joke!

I agree that Klug is probably a mid/late rounder.
But we don't need one of those guys at DE, do we?
What position would you suggest a late rounder be in? The chances of a 5th-7th rounder getting any significant playing time this year at DT, OLB, ILB, CB, S is just as unlikely as DE. Outside Mario, we're penciling in Antonio Smith as the 1st and 2nd down DE. I think we have more question marks along the DL than answers. I think we need to find some starters and backups along the DL and LB units.

I wouldn't be against Cameron Jordan in the 1st and Klug late in the draft. Address OLB and NT maybe in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
What position would you suggest a late rounder be in? The chances of a 5th-7th rounder getting any significant playing time this year at DT, OLB, ILB, CB, S is just as unlikely as DE. Outside Mario, we're penciling in Antonio Smith as the 1st and 2nd down DE. I think we have more question marks along the DL than answers. I think we need to find some starters and backups along the DL and LB units.

I wouldn't be against Cameron Jordan in the 1st and Klug late in the draft. Address OLB and NT maybe in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
I'd like to take Nevis late in the first round.
He would be the understudy of Cody at first.
Mitchell and Smith can also see some playing time here, especially at the beginning of the season.

Then, we would have Smith, Mario, Mitchell, and Okoye at DE (maybe Bullman, too.)
With all these guys on the team, I don't see us drafting a DE (unless Wade is satisfied with the rotation of Cody and Mitchell at NT, at least for now so he can fill other spots first.)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read