Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-06-2011   #21
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is YOUR #11 pick selection? And let's all argue about it with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
If Jones is available at 11 would you think about trading 11 to the rams for 14 and 78 because i doubt they would give us their 2nd rounder
I'd make that trade. With the switch to the 3-4 defense we could use an extra 3rd round pick. I'd take Brandon Harris-CB at #14.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143455 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is YOUR #11 pick selection? And let's all argue about it with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
who Texans WILL pick who Texans SHOULD pick who WE agree they should pick or who I think we should pick is still up in the air

Same for me , just not quite enough information yet and its still a bit difficult to nail down who will be available.

For those talking about a trade down , I think this year with Gary being on the hot seat , its just as possibl ewe see a trade up for a top talent , impact type player. Its time for this team to take some chances rather than always taking the safe route.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #23
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25261 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Same for me , just not quite enough information yet and its still a bit difficult to nail down who will be available.

For those talking about a trade down , I think this year with Gary being on the hot seat , its just as possibl ewe see a trade up for a top talent , impact type player. Its time for this team to take some chances rather than always taking the safe route.
I agree. Especially if there is no FA period prior to the draft. Is there is a CBA, look for the Texans to also make an acquisition for an impact player or two.
Old 02-06-2011   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Right now I see Julio Jones as a bigger difference maker than any of the other available players.
How big a difference is a #2 rookie WR going to make? How many targets will he see, after AJ and Daniels get theirs? What if Tate comes back strong, and allows the Texans to make even more of a commitment to the run? And you're assuming that Kubiak would even start a rookie WR.

There's no way that Jones could make a bigger impact than a defender who can make plays. Jones would be a luxury pick (if he were better than the defenders available, which I doubt). And the Texans cannot afford luxury.
Old 02-06-2011   #25
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
How big a difference is a #2 rookie WR going to make? How many targets will he see, after AJ and Daniels get theirs? What if Tate comes back strong, and allows the Texans to make even more of a commitment to the run? And you're assuming that Kubiak would even start a rookie WR.

There's no way that Jones could make a bigger impact than a defender who can make plays. Jones would be a luxury pick (if he were better than the defenders available, which I doubt). And the Texans cannot afford luxury.
I think he can make a huggggge difference actually. What happens to us when Andre goes down? We need someone like Julio for when Andre can't play. Plus when Andre is out there he doesn't have alot of help. Daniels does his thing but outside of some tricky TE play, our receivers are pretty bad.

I would agree that getting a defender who can make plays would be more valuable to us, but I don't see any defenders that will still be left that are expected to be as much of an impact player as Julio Jones is.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #26
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What happens to us when Andre goes down?
What happens when Mario, Cushing, or DeMeco go down? What happens when Matt Schaub goes down (how's that for a horror story)? We can play that game all day.

I would like for the Texans to be able to move down and garner extra picks. I don't think that the offense is so good it cannot be improved. A WR, OT, and developmental QB would be great additions. But if you go into this draft without the hindsight of free agency pickups, the Texans must find defensive players that can step in and be ready to play. That means productive, big school players and not small school projects or workout warriors. And no luxury picks.
Old 02-06-2011   #27
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But if you go into this draft without the hindsight of free agency pickups, the Texans must find defensive players that can step in and be ready to play. That means productive, big school players and not small school projects or workout warriors. And no luxury picks.
The 11th pick is only one player. You still have the rest of the draft to address the defense. Taking Jones in the first would mean that I would expect us to go all defense for the rest of the draft. Outside of maybe OL, our offense looks pretty good with Jones out there.

I think taking a receiver isn't a luxury pick. It makes more sense this year than people are giving credit for. Walter is already borderline ineffective. Anderson has a very limited skill set. The Jacoby Jones experiment, I think, is over. He's just too inconsistent. Dickerson is a 7th round converted TE that hasn't done anything to show that he even deserves a roster spot.

I see your argument about Daniels, and really the whole TE group because they add alot to our passing game. However, it's just not enough IMO moving forward. Not with our current WR group.

Quote:
Also, if Tate came back strong and our commitment to the run increased, that's a good thing. That gives Andre and Julio more 1v1 matchups. Same goes for Daniels. I'll take Julio Jones over Kevin Walter or Jacoby Jones in 1v1 matchups every single time.

His targets and numbers may decrease, but his effectiveness will still be evident.

The situation in Houston is ideal for him IMO.
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2011   #28
Lucky

Quote:
I see your argument about Daniels, and really the whole TE group because they add alot to our passing game. However, it's just not enough IMO moving forward. Not with our current WR group.
Then wait until free agency (whenever that happens) and pickup a vet WR with WCO experience. He'll be able to provide more of an impact than a rookie, anyway. Or trade a future pick for a vet WR, as the Jets & Ravens did last offseason. The future is now with this organization.
Old 02-06-2011   #29
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25261 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

If we get another WR, maybe it would be better to select one later on. Like a Terrance Tolliver in the 4th
Old 02-06-2011   #30
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Then wait until free agency (whenever that happens) and pickup a vet WR with WCO experience. He'll be able to provide more of an impact than a rookie, anyway. Or trade a future pick for a vet WR, as the Jets & Ravens did last offseason. The future is now with this organization.
That's fine with me too. I'll take a move like that.

If we are going to be aggressive though, why not pickup a vet defender in FA? Or trade for one for a future pick. Is there reason to believe that we will have more success in trying to trade for a WR over a defender?

My point is that WR is a need, more so than people seem to be admitting to themselves. Taking a WR in the first round, although not ideal, would help this team out quite a bit.

We need alot of defenders, but I don't think we should pass up on a BPA in Julio given the opportunity because of what happened last year with the defense. There are plenty of things we can do to upgrade the defense, we do not have to do it with the 11th pick.
Old 02-06-2011   #31
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What happens when Mario, Cushing, or DeMeco go down? What happens when Matt Schaub goes down (how's that for a horror story)?
mired in mediocrity & suck-age pretty much what the Texan franchise has been doing throughout history.

Quote:
I would like for the Texans to be able to move down and garner extra picks. I don't think that the offense is so good it cannot be improved. A WR, OT, and developmental QB would be great additions. But if you go into this draft without the hindsight of free agency pickups, the Texans must find defensive players that can step in and be ready to play. That means productive, big school players and not small school projects or workout warriors. And no luxury picks.
yeah, wouldn't we all. But to what assurance do we have the Texans will get that right? Texans traded back 1st rd. two times in history, once in 05, the infamous selection of Travis Johnson & 08 to address LT w/Duane Brown, who most still feel had a 2nd rd. grade. It is a safer path, until proven otherwise to take the more talented & polished player first, record speaks for itself, there are no guarantees, see results (Phillip Bucanon/FA cut, Steve Slayton/one year wonder)?

Every team is on a level playing field going into the draft blind, without players contract ratification. It was the Texans choice to abandon, now GB Super-Bowl DC Capers 3-4 as it was their choice to return once again to the 3-4 scheme.

Wade is their hindsight when it comes to the defensive side. I really don't think he feels need for massive input of new players to run his defense (also think he sold McNair on this). I'm sure they'll have their board rated accordingly with need on the defensive side regardless, but to ignore higher rated offensive players who could come into next season & help this team win more close games, would be a continuation of failed approach to talent acquisition's that's marred this organization from start-up.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #32
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
...but to ignore higher rated offensive players who could come into next season & help this team win more close games...
Higher rated by whom??? Do you actually believe there will not be a defender available that could help this defense? Seriously?

Win more close games by passing more? In the Texans 8 games that were decided by 7 points or less, they averaged over 27 ppg and over 308 passing yards. And your solution is more passing?

OK.
Old 02-06-2011   #33
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be against Julio Jones at 11. I agree with some of the other posts saying our WR group is not really a strength. Outside of an injured AJ all we have a role players. I like Walter as our #3 and in to block. Any one of the rest of the wideouts are flirting with getting flat out released: Jacoby, Anderson, Davis et al. Dickerson stays only to learn and be groomed because e has some upside. JJ would be gone if he couldn't be a returnman. I think Julio could very well be the best player available at 11.

I'd rather have a great talent on the D but that's no guarantee either. Julio making as big an impact for us is just as likely as a Von Miller or Prince Amukamara.

For the record my top 5 players for us at 11 are probably Justin Houston, Julio Jones, JJ Watt, Cameron Jordan and Von Miller. That's 4 D players.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #34
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

1.) Justin Houston (after a trade down)

2.) Brandon Harris (after a trade down)

3.) Von Miller

4.) Julio Jones

5.) JJ Watt (after a trade down)
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Higher rated by whom??? Do you actually believe there will not be a defender available that could help this defense? Seriously?

Win more close games by passing more? In the Texans 8 games that were decided by 7 points or less, they averaged over 27 ppg and over 308 passing yards. And your solution is more passing?

OK.
last time I checked defensive & offensive players are available throughout the draft who could help the Texans if they do their homework & make the best selections which fit the direction this team is headed.

Gary Kubiak offense uses the pass to set-up the run. People complained why didn't they just give the ball to Arian Foster more? The simple answer to that is they were trying to get him the ball as much as possible by keeping teams from stacking the box & spreading them out.

I'm not going to invest the time to look up Kubiaks Texan win loss record without Andre Johnson. I'll bet it is significantly worse without him then it is with him. The Texans offense right or wrong runs through him, teams know this & can force the Texans to be one dimensional. Take Andre out & increase the odds of success. I'm not advocating bypass defensive needs but if the opportunity exists to resolve another issue on offense, it indirectly helps the defense too, by allowing more time of possession plus better field position.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-06-2011   #36
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Robert Quinn, Justin Houston, Julio Jones.

In that order as of now. They are all instant impact players. Robert Quinn is a top 3 talent. Yeah, even with a year off, he's that good. Houston is proven, has size, and is a player. Jones is a 1b to AJ Green. I like Jones more because of the size and how he steps up when it counts most. Julio Jones is a top 10 talent no questions asked.
Old 02-07-2011   #37
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5174 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Patrick Patterson

Von Miller

Julio Jones

Prince

In that order
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011   #38
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53509 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't understand the love for Jones. What's so special about him?
Old 02-10-2011   #39
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Don't understand the love for Jones. What's so special about him?
Size - 6'4 214lbs
Quickness and speed - can get open and is great after the catch, consistently outran SEC defenders
Great route runner
Good hands
Willing blocker and is tough
Special teams abilities
Tough to tackle
Played for Nick Saban

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFOZWmVFSek

I think he and AJ would make a GREAT #1 and #2 WR tandem. Walter would still see a decent amount of snaps. All are willing to block which Kubiak loves, all just find ways to get open. I think Julio is a great "fit" for this offense and would be used a lot (deep ball, crossing routes, screens, etc). Walter pushed to the #3 would be good. Jacoby is borderline cut for me especially if we take Julio in the 1st. Holiday to be our returnman.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #40
beerlover
Site Contributor

I found this funny & expresses opinion from big players in buisness, there is no consensus of #11 pick? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...ources/page/12

Quote:
Kiper: Aldon Smith

McShay: Jimmy Smith

Rang: Prince Amukamara

Reuter: Marcell Dareus

Schrager: Robert Quinn

As you can see, there's not much consensus about this pick, other than that it will come from the defensive side of the ball.

Marcell Dareus has flown under the radar a bit of late, not getting the buzz of guys like Fairley, but he's still a solid NFL prospect from a top flight program who could contribute right away in Houston's new 3-4 defense under Wade Phillips.
Julio #6 to Cleveland & Marcell Dareus available #11

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read