Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-05-2011   #81
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Town Hall Conference Call: Bob McNair

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wear my Texans' gear year round. I'll be jerseyed, jacketed, hated, and towel hanging out of my back pocket at our Super Bowl party tomorrow.

I never know what I'm going to get. Some people sympathize, some people are optomistic about the future (I don't get it either), some people are down right mean.

I can hold my own.

But I wonder how McNair feels when he walks into that room with the other 31 owners. I'm sure he gets some of the same thing.

But he can actually do something about it, where I can't.
I think as long as the Texans are not making the news for strip club shootings, drug busts (hardcore drugs, btw, not roids), dog fighting, high speed police chases, etc., then he considers it a great day for the Texans.

Anything else is gravy on top.

I, too, will be sticking around to see how this plays out. I don't particularly think it's "just the defense" that needs more help. While the defense was atrocious, the offense (despite what the stats say otherwise) is in need of help too--Gary hasn't had his offense clicking until Quarter 4 on a consistent basis, and that bothers me.

It bothers me that Matt Schaub and our offense look more in rhythm in 2-minute drives--Because guess who is calling the shots in those situations?--than they do at other spots in the game. I am hoping it gets to the point that Schaub just starts taking over on his own, throughout games, and acting like his headset isn't working anymore. Because as much as Gary is known for his "genius offensive mind," Matt Schaub (to me) shows an ability to be one of those QBs in the NFL who can call the plays all the way down the field. However, it strikes me that Kubiak is living his life vicariously through the starting QB.

And I haven't even mentioned the other things about Kubiak that are nagging problems for the past 5 years. I'm choosing to stop, and I am sure the board applauds my generosity.
Old 02-05-2011   #82
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Seems to be working for the offense, but don't let the full blown hate cloud your judgment .

Defensively, yes, gary's pipeline of friends have failed him on that side of the ball

Btw wade was also in Denver when Kubiak was there
Not hate just wanted to point out how in over his head Gary is.

I'm well aware of Phillips connection to Gary. Unless the Texans have a 2006 draft in a down draft yr without the benefit of having the 1st pick in each rd. (I dont see this happening.) Not with the mess BoB described going on in the war room.

I dont see the Texans improving much past 8-8 and the excuse merry go round PR spin starts all over again. That's not hate. IMHO

That's just crapping in somebody's koolaid. I said this before the extention and TK,TB,JB,The matrix I believe said lets see how the season plays out before you pass judgement.

I did this until everybody could see how the 2010 season was going to turn out.

Question should I wait until the 2011 season turns out before I start stating the obvious? (Gary's in over his head as a HC) I hope BoB's best laid plans work out. But after 5 yrs you can understand my skeptisism no?

BTW, I will be wearing my Texans gear at our SB party. I may not be a Koolaid drinking Kubiak fan. But my Texan fandom is always on display.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #83
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think as long as the Texans are not making the news for strip club shootings, drug busts (hardcore drugs, btw, not roids), dog fighting, high speed police chases, etc., then he considers it a great day for the Texans.

I, too, will be sticking around to see how this plays out. I don't particularly think it's "just the defense" that needs more help. While the defense was atrocious, the offense (despite what the stats say otherwise) is in need of help too--Gary hasn't had his offense clicking until Quarter 4 on a consistent basis, and that bothers me.

It bothers me that Matt Schaub and our offense look more in rhythm in 2-minute drives--Because guess who is calling the shots in those situations?--than they do at other spots in the game. I am hoping it gets to the point that Schaub just starts taking over on his own, throughout games, and acting like his headset isn't working anymore. Because as much as Gary is known for his "genius offensive mind," Matt Schaub (to me) shows an ability to be one of those QBs in the NFL who can call the plays all the way down the field. However, it strikes me that Kubiak is living his life vicariously through the starting QB.

And I haven't even mentioned the other things about Kubiak that are nagging problems for the past 5 years. I'm choosing to stop, and I am sure the board applauds my generosity.
Schaub needs to do like Manning does, 4th down, Dungy send punt team on field. Manning waves them off.

Schaub needs to do this, when Garry calls a HB pass on the goal line of a game that means playoffs or no playoffs, laugh and call another play. That's what real leaders like Manning and Brady do and it's what Schaub needs to do to get over the hump and become the QB that he can be.

Are you saying Gary's insecue in his hiring of asst. coaches and play calling responsibities? That could never be. IMHO LOL
Old 02-05-2011   #84
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, just wow

Lol
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #85
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Schaub needs to do like Manning does, 4th down, Dungy send punt team on field. Manning waves them off.

Schaub needs to do this, when Garry calls a HB pass on the goal line of a game that means playoffs or no playoffs, laugh and call another play. That's what real leaders like Manning and Brady do and it's what Schaub needs to do to get over the hump and become the QB that he can be.

Are you saying Gary's insecue in his hiring of asst. coaches and play calling responsibities? That could never be. IMHO LOL
Story of my favorite coach and QB. Landry had Staubach subbing in and out even down to on each down at times (worst decision Landry ever made but putting that aside). Staubach goes in on 4th and goal from the 2 or 3, gets the call, doesn't like it and changes it in the huddle. He scores a TD to win the game and have that be part of Captain Comeback. Landry without any histrionics tells him OK, you're the starting QB. You can call your own plays when you are a 40 year old QB. Staubach still bucked calls at times and they were some of Landry's most animated sideline moments.
Old 02-06-2011   #86
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Story of my favorite coach and QB. Landry had Staubach subbing in and out even down to on each down at times (worst decision Landry ever made but putting that aside).
Here's the Wiki version, and pretty much how I remember it.

Quote:
In 1971, Craig Morton began the season as the starter, but after a loss to the New Orleans Saints, Staubach assumed the role. However, in a game against the Chicago Bears in the seventh week of that season, coach Tom Landry alternated Staubach and Morton on each play, sending in the quarterbacks with the play call from the sideline. Dallas gained more than 500 yards of offense, but suffered a 23–19 loss to a mediocre Bears squad that dropped the Cowboys to 4–3 on the season, two games behind the Washington Redskins in the NFC East race.

Staubach assumed the full-time quarterbacking duties in a week eight victory over the St. Louis Cardinals and led the Cowboys to ten consecutive victories, including their first Super Bowl victory, 24–3 over the Miami Dolphins. He led the Cowboys to their first Super Bowl win and was named MVP of Super Bowl VI on January 16, 1972, completing 12 out of 19 passes for 119 yards and two touchdowns, and rushing for 18 yards. In 1972, he missed most of the season with a separated shoulder, but he relieved Morton in a divisional playoff against the San Francisco 49ers and threw two touchdown passes in the last 90 seconds to win the game 30-28. With that performance, he won back his regular job and did not relinquish it again during his career.
The Cowboys always called the plays from the sideline by bringing in a substitute. Be it a WR, TE, or FB. This was the one game that Landry tried it with the QBs, and he never did it again. Lesson learned.

What I find ironic is that the 3 of the 5 QBs I consider to have been the most intelligent on the field (Montana, Staubach, & Kosar) had plays brought in from the sideline. But Terry Bradshaw called his own plays? Really?

Still not sure why Staubach retired. He had his best statistical season in his last year (1979). He was still in great shape. My guess is that he felt it was Danny White's time. Pretty selfless move on Roger's part, IMO. Easily one of the top 10 QBs I've ever seen.
Old 02-06-2011   #87
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

The Cowboys always called the plays from the sideline by bringing in a substitute. Be it a WR, TE, or FB. This was the one game that Landry tried it with the QBs, and he never did it again. Lesson learned.

What I find ironic is that the 3 of the 5 QBs I consider to have been the most intelligent on the field (Montana, Staubach, & Kosar) had plays brought in from the sideline. But Terry Bradshaw called his own plays? Really?

Still not sure why Staubach retired. He had his best statistical season in his last year (1979). He was still in great shape. My guess is that he felt it was Danny White's time. Pretty selfless move on Roger's part, IMO. Easily one of the top 10 QBs I've ever seen.
Multiple concussions

Staubach wanted to have a quality life after football.
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2011   #88
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Multiple concussions

That makes sense. He had a great (if not short for a QB) career. Heisman. 2 Super Bowl rings. It's so uncommon to see these guys not being dragged out of the game kicking and screaming. I guess Staubach was able to envision challenges outside the gridiron the others can't see.
Old 02-06-2011   #89
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Damn y'all are old.....

Old 02-06-2011   #90
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #91
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
LOL. I had you, and about three others, in mind when I stopped short and added that last little line.

I was thinking, "I bet I can pinpoint about 3 people who might see the humor in it and reply with an 'applause' smiley..."

Am I good, or what?
Old 02-07-2011   #92
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

How does Bob explain all the draft picks that we don't play then....like our 14 TE's???
Old 02-07-2011   #93
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
How does Bob explain all the draft picks that we don't play then....like our 14 TE's???
That position is snakebit. I'm kinda' glad we DO draft so many TEs.

Can you imagine if we didn't? I think Dreesen was the only guy there, consistently, this year. Graham was hurt. OD in and out all year. Then that other guy who is always hurt. Seriously, Dreesen was essentially our main TE all year. Everyone else was always on the bicycle.
Old 02-07-2011   #94
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Multiple concussions

I think it was both those things. He had his rings and he also had a vision for life after football and the firm he was going to build. I mean heck he delayed his football career to serve his country. He loved it and was great at it but it wasn't the center of his universe. He had worked for years in the off-seasons to get experience prior to starting his company which he did a couple of seasons or so before quitting football.
Old 02-07-2011   #95
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
....like our 14 TE's???
A crystal ball?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #96
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it was both those things. He had his rings and he also had a vision for life after football and the firm he was going to build. I mean heck he delayed his football career to serve his country. He loved it and was great at it but it wasn't the center of his universe. He had worked for years in the off-seasons to get experience prior to starting his company which he did a couple of seasons or so before quitting football.
Truly one of the legends of the sport. Although my folks greatly disliked the Cowboys, they always had tremendous respect for Landry and Staubach. One of my uncles was a huge Cowboys fan and always called me little Roger (because of my wavy hair) when we'd play street football with him.

About a decade ago the talking tv heads were making a big deal about "running QBs". I never understood this, because Roger Staubach and Fran Tarkenton were fantastic runners. But, then I realized that these two greats ran to pass the ball, staying behind the LOS. The prototype "running QBs" (i.e. Culpepper, Vick, McNabb) were north/south runners and not so much "scramblers" like Tarkenton and Staubach, although McNabb did change his game up to become a somewhat decent scrambler later in his career.
Old 02-07-2011   #97
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
About a decade ago the talking tv heads were making a big deal about "running QBs". I never understood this, because Roger Staubach and Fran Tarkenton were fantastic runners. But, then I realized that these two greats ran to pass the ball, staying behind the LOS. The prototype "running QBs" (i.e. Culpepper, Vick, McNabb) were north/south runners and not so much "scramblers" like Tarkenton and Staubach, although McNabb did change his game up to become a somewhat decent scrambler later in his career.
Yup, huge difference between running QB and scrambling QB. We just saw a scrambler win the SB against another pretty good scrambler. It was funny every so often watching Landry chew Staubach a new sphincter for not sliding after making a 1st down or going in head first.
Old 02-07-2011   #98
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yup, huge difference between running QB and scrambling QB. We just saw a scrambler win the SB against another pretty good scrambler. It was funny every so often watching Landry chew Staubach a new sphincter for not sliding after making a 1st down or going in head first.
What is interesting is that the scrambling QBs that we're talking about were QBs first and foremost. They were able to scramble due to great athleticism, but it was also out of survival than actual game planning. They'd run 50 yards behind the LOS in order to allow enough time for a receiver to finally get open, and I still marvel at some of those plays when NFL Films shows them.

The running QBs seemed like they were athletes first and QBs second. Vick and McNabb are developing their QB skills over time, because throwing the ball 50 yards is a lot easier than running those same 50 yards through NFL defenses.

I found it humorous that the "prototype running QBs" (as the talking tv heads were prone to call them a decade ago) were supposed to redefine the NFL, to the point that new rules would be implemented and the fundamental nature of the sport would be vastly different in the coming years. However, when you look at the last 10 Super Bowl winning QBs, most of them have been pocket passers (and none of them "running QBs"). "Redefine the league...", yeah riiiight.
Old 02-07-2011   #99
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The board resembles a life-size spreadsheet with the positions listed across the top. On the left hand side of the board is a column which is separated by the grades listed in the grading scale. The evaluation scale varies according to team but the grades correlate to the expectations associated with a prospect’s talent and potential. For example, on a grading scale that ranges from 3.5 (NFL reject) to 8.0 (Hall of Fame-caliber), a prospect who receives a grade in the 7.0-7.9 range is a first-round talent and expected to be a starter in his first season. Players graded in the 6.5-6.9 range (second round) are viewed as borderline first-year starters with the potential to become solid starters in time. The grades and expectations continue down the scale until they reach the bottom of the board.

The players are listed and ranked by position on the big board. In addition, the players are ranked on a separate board from 1-125, based solely on their talent. This is an overall ranking of all of the prospects available in the draft and is used extensively to determine the best available prospect. In theory, the “vertical board” is the board that general managers use to pick prospects on draft day. If they subscribe to the theory of taking the best player available, then the process should be simple as they work off the vertical board on draft day.

The vertical board is crafted after the general manager and scouts work through the various scenarios involving possible prospects being available at the same time. For example, if cornerback Malcolm Jenkins and defensive end Everette Brown are available, which one would we take with our first-round pick? By working through these situations in the days leading up to the draft, the general manager has no reason to deviate from the established order on draft day. He simply picks the best available prospect regardless of position, and moves on.

It sounds simple in theory, but general managers must avoid numerous temptations to make the tactic work; one of those persuasions is drafting solely for a need. Therefore, a team in desperate need of a middle linebacker may place the best available prospects at the position in a higher round to guarantee that they have one available at their pick. This process is called “reaching”, and teams that fall for the practice often make huge mistakes in the draft.

Another common error made by scouts is letting a prospect’s workout push him up the board. Too often, scouts and coaches fall in love with a prospect after watching him perform at the scouting combine or his pro day. Players who look great in shorts dazzle evaluators with their agility and explosiveness in drills. Their impressive display of athleticism causes scouts to ignore the holes in their game that repeatedly show up on tape. Coaches suggest that they can get the unseen production out of them, and are often tempted to take a chance on “workout warriors” due to their untapped potential.

Thus, it is up to the general manager to keep the coaches and scouts focused on taking the best “football player” on the board, not the best athlete.

The draft begins and ends with the draft board, but scouts and coaches must stay true to it for it to yield quality results.

Quote:
Character, which can be split into two categories: Moral character and football character, is heavily scrutinized by evaluators throughout the pre-draft process. Scouts talk to numerous coaches and administrators on school visits to properly assess the reputations of draft hopefuls. Hours upon hours are spent researching the pasts of each individual listed on draft boards. Teams call middle and high school teachers to see how these young men were as adolescents. Some teams have been known to deploy scouts to the respective hometowns of certain prospects on fact-finding missions.

Teams hire security firms to run extensive background checks on players to see if there are any unreported arrests or warrants associated with the prospect. Sometimes these searches reveal more information than the official background checks conducted by the league, and their revelations allow teams to remove “high risk” individuals from their board.

In addition, some teams follow mandates issued from ownership on what types of transgressions are deemed unacceptable by a franchise. These misbehaviors can range from domestic disputes to various drug-related offenses, including drunk-driving arrests or charges. Whatever is perceived by ownership to be a “hot-button” issue could cause public backlash or ridicule.
Quote:
Not everyone gets a vote

While most outsiders assume that the war room is buzzing with scouts exchanging various opinions on draft day, it would surprise many that some teams don’t include their scouts in conversations once the draft has begun.

Some organizations only allow their decision makers (owner, head coach, general manager and college scouting director) into the war room during the draft, and request that their scouts sit in another room during the event. Organization leaders are fearful of scouts sharing too much information with their cohorts, and believe restricting their access to the draft board and to private conversations will prevent an inadvertent slip of the tongue.

Though scouts occasionally are asked to enter the room to read a report or answer a question on a prospect from their assigned region, they are quickly dismissed after relaying the necessary information.

The exclusion of scouts from the war room often results in an unappreciated feeling in the other room, but the desire to maintain a high level of confidentiality outweighs bruised egos in the minds of some decision makers
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...-nfl-landscape
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #100
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read