Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2011   #41
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3783 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Town Hall Conference Call: Bob McNair

The offense is to blame almost as much as the defense. In more than a couple games the defense came up with some early stops and the offense came out flat like it usually does and went 3 and out. The Defense would actually play pretty good for the first couple quarters but then get tired because the offense couldnt stay on the field.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #42
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Blame who you want but the fact is both the defense and offense were at fault. There were some games where the offense showed up for only one half which was either the first or the second half. And on top of that there were many games where the Texans had the football last but did something stupid to give it away. The defense almost never showed up for sixty minutes of a football game to save their lifes let alone just thirty. This is team game and the whole TEAM has failed thus far including the coaching staff. The fact is the end results are still the same and does not matter how you spin them that is all that counts.
Old 02-03-2011   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You're doing exactly what I keep talking about. you're looking for ways to paint a better picture. Those offenses you just mentioned are right there with the Texans at 10th and 12th and GB was .2 away from them. Pittsburgh has never been known for having a great offense and Ben was out for the first 4 games of the season. Would anyone really call Pitt a great offense?
But that's what you get when you use ppg as the end all be all. I agree, ppg wins games. But as you've illustrated it doesn't in anyway reflect how good or bad the offense is.

We had the worse starting position of any team in the league, yet only 8 teams scored more points.
Old 02-03-2011   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The Rosencopter ruined Gary as a HC and that's sad. Because I really like the guy. I'm hoping just like after 2009 Gary can get his team to play 4qtrs.
I agree with much of this post. However, I disagree with this statement, in that Rosencopter was just one of the many that broke Gary Kubiak.

Anytime this team got in too big of a hurry, we'd turn the ball over in some of the most insane ways. Schaub, Andre, Slaton, Moats, Quin, Jameel Cook, etc.. etc.. etc...

I think that is the reason we haven't done any 2 minute drills until this year. & why we came out slow in every game, then turned it on when our backs were against the wall.

IMO, you can't coach/play that way.
Old 02-03-2011   #45
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Sounds to me Gary gets his choice on picks and Rick runs the draft board.

Of all of the hands/voices in the war room I hope Phillips carries the most weight.

Hopefully Phillips says look Gary/Rick, BoB hired me to fix the defense and I need these 3-4 guys to do the job I was hired to do.

Trade up or trade down,trade players already on the roster it really matter how Phillips ends up with the guys he wants. Just as long as he gets who he needs to improve this putrid defense.

Should go rather smoothly to be honest. In years past we had rookie DC's who's position coaches didn't necessarily "come" with those guys..a kind of disjointed approach where guys don't know how well certain players will fit into the DC's scheme. On the other hand, most experienced DC's usually have a group of position coaches brought in that they've worked with & had success with before & those guys know exactly how to select players that will fit into the scheme the DC wants to run.

I say all that to say that when these "votes" come up in the war room, all the defensive guys will likely be on the same page regarding defensive players. If gary wants to disagree with all them regarding a defensive guy, not only will he look like a fool after they give him the face, smith will likely be swayed by the solidarity of the defensive guys to go against Gary.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #46
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I was being nice and responding only to the post and not you on a personal level.
Oh, you were being nice? Lol!

So much for that. You've already resulted to insults and tid fits instead of debating the real issues that have to do with the team.

Quote:
However if you are going to act like and 8 year old girl I can do the same as well.
The facepalms are all you seem to have, because I've yet to see you throw out any reasonable argument or response that warrants any type of usefulness towards the discussion other than some offensive rankings that haven't amounted to squat in the grand scheme of things. Stop being lazy and do some real research.

Quote:
If you despise this team as much as you do why don't you go route for another team b/c I am tired of reading your senseless dribble and out right trollish nature. Go pull your head out of your keaster and realize the sky's not falling Chicken Little.
Troll? you might want to look in the mirror while you're lashing out without any substantial evidence towards your claims. I'm not the one spewing out insults like a baby. I've been a Houston fan my entire life, but that doesn't mean that I won't say things like they are and have been. You can hide your head into the sand all you want and act like we haven't been an embarrassment and an under achieving franchise all that you want, but for discussion sake I'll speak the truth as I see it, and Kubiak has yet to prove me wrong. I've heard this song and dance and the tempor tantrums from many Kubiak apologists for over 3 years.

Quote:
And before you go off and tell me to educate myself why don't you do the same and realize there is a difference between PPG and overall offense.

Yes, there is and that's exactly why I brought that up genius. Points are what determine who wins and loses which actually matter. All the yards passing, FG % rates, 4th quarter TD's, and every other little offensive gem you want to throw out as a persuasive argument won't work when the best this team has ever done was 9-7 with that and we're 5 years into a regime of this supposed offensive guru. Give me a freaking break.

Quote:
Isn't there a Cowboy chat board you could be visiting right now?
And this post explains you to a T. You haven't addressed one point I made or even tried to make any type of explanation for it. You've just came back with some insults, some tid fit facepalms that are lame as hell at this point with how over used they are. And get off the Cowboys for god sakes. Stick to the real subject and the issues instead of making this an "Uber fan" dick measuring contest.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #47
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Just because some of us are not Kool Aid drinkers does not mean we are not fans.
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2011   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Just because some of us are not Kool Aid drinkers does not mean we are not fans.
Not directed at you gary, just a spin off.

Very true. Equally true is that just because some folks don't see every intent and act of the Texans as bad doesn't mean they are not realistic. The number of true koolaid drinkers out there is a lot smaller than the use of the moniker by some around here.
Old 02-03-2011   #49
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Very true. Equally true is that just because some folks don't see every intent and act of the Texans as bad doesn't mean they are not realistic. The number of true koolaid drinkers out there is a lot smaller than the use of the moniker by some around here.
Whatever you think that's your call but I think you'd agree with me that both sides of the football suffered either a little or a lot last season.
Old 02-03-2011   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Whatever you think that's your call but I think you'd agree with me that both sides of the football suffered either a little or a lot last season.
The coaches and gm's of both super bowl teams would tell you they could improve on both sides of the ball. But that wasn't the point. Some around here have taken to the position everything about the Texans is bad and any position that maybe they did something even OK or even something as simple as yeah they would actually like to win more games is unrealistic koolaid drinking. That position is no more realistic than asserting the Texans haven't made mistakes.
Old 02-03-2011   #51
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The coaches and gm's of both super bowl teams would tell you they could improve on both sides of the ball. But that wasn't the point. Some around here have taken to the position everything about the Texans is bad and any position that maybe they did something even OK or even something as simple as yeah they would actually like to win more games is unrealistic koolaid drinking. That position is no more realistic than asserting the Texans haven't made mistakes.
repped....Many here take the approach that if you're not wholeheartedly in agreement with them, you're a koolaid drinker or a soaper & its just not black or white like that...there is a gray area.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #52
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 119696 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

i think the offense should be the least of our worries. We have Foster, AJ, Schaub, Walter, Leach. We will score points. If we dont do whatever it takes to fix the defense then we'll be in the same boat next season. Fix the D the O is good enough to where we can get by and win games. Leave well enough alone.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #53
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
They want win but they still should try different things like making some noise with a young free agent with a lot of years left. I understand you'll tell me they have spent with Smith and some others but they should have some more chances this year and they ought to make some hey out of it. I hope they do. We shall see.
Old 02-03-2011   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I think it's even worse than that. Some fans can find something to be happy about, even proud..... AJ another pro bowl bid. Top 5 offense Again. Leach at the Beach. Foster at the Pro Bowl, rushing title, 2200 total yards.

Then you have those fans that it's not good enough to have their whole offseasons ruined, they have to bring those fans. tell them their accepting mediocrity is the reason we'll never have a good team in Houston.

If you find a sliver of a silver lining out of the 2010 season, as a Houston Texans fan... you're part of the problem.
Old 02-03-2011   #55
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

With the exception that those few remaining Kool-aiders are drunk out of their effin' gourds.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i think the offense should be the least of our worries. We have Foster, AJ, Schaub, Walter, Leach. We will score points. If we dont do whatever it takes to fix the defense then we'll be in the same boat next season. Fix the D the O is good enough to where we can get by and win games. Leave well enough alone.
I pray that Kubiak doesn't feel this way. There is always room for improvement.

A big improvement I'd like to see, is a running game that's creative & innovative. Think about how Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, & Derrick Ward were used in New York a few years ago.

There were plays designed to take advantage of each one of their strengths. They were unstoppable.

Think about Allstot & Dunn from the Bucaneers a while back.

Foster's a monster, I'm not doubting that at all. But with Ward averaging over 4 ypc, Slaton over 4 ypc, how can anyone have ever stopped us?

We've got some talent on this team..... Studdard is no starter, but why can't we send out a package or two, with an extra guard or tackle like other teams do (the Chiefs for one) and maul some people over? Butler's also a good player who doesn't see playing time unless someone is injured? Two TE packages????? PUt Butler & Studdard in there.

Casey. There should be plays designed to put the ball in that guys hands, & not try to make him a TE or a fullback. McCluster, Harvin..... less time in the league, much bigger impact..... same possibilities.

Anyway...... I'm just saying.
Old 02-03-2011   #57
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 121813 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

as semi efficient as the offense was (ranked fairly well throughout (mostly top 10 in things that you want to see)) the defense was the yang to the ying and countered that
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/ho...ns/stats/67071

add to that .. ST was horrible (less than 20 yards a kick return and no TD's and PR was a dismal 6.7 yards a punt return and no TDs

2 out of 3 phases of the game stunk
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #58
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh, they would like to win. So would 31 other owners.

McNair appears to be one of the kind of owners where image is more important than winning. That and he failed to fire Kubiak after Garys utter failure last yr because he wasn't willing to eat Garys extention. Makes more than a few fans question BoB's comittment to winning.

People spin thing however they want positive and negative. But there's no getting aroung the fact that BoB's team has stunk for almost a decade and counting.

With that said hopefully Phillips will build a much improved defense and he can help Gary with some in game decisions.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #59
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 88277 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
With the exception that those few remaining Kool-aiders are drunk out of their effin' gourds.
I try to stay drunk out of my gourd every chance I get. Statements like this just reek of asshattery.
Old 02-03-2011   #60
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I try to stay drunk out of my gourd every chance I get. Statements like this just reek of asshattery.
And somewhat T-total uppidy..

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read