Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-04-2011   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Not sure if anyone has said this yet....

But the hire of Wade Phillips, which essentially gives us a head coach for the offense (Kubiak) and a head coach for the defense (Phillips) could backfire big time.

Why?

Bob McNair has essentially made an us vs. them arrangement, IMO.

If one side of the ball isn't getting their job done out there, the other side of the ball will see it as the head coach and players of that other unit NOT doing its job. This could pit offense vs. defense. I can envision Antonio Smith putting his finger into the chest of a guy like Eric Winston on the sideline, or other such shenanigans that involve accusing, blaming, and other such behavior.

It could cause division if it doesn't work out well.
This could have been the case in 2010. Heck, Bob's own words, "The problem isn't the offense." pretty much sets the stage for such feelings right now.

However, when asked about his decision to keep Gary, his answer in his Town Hall interview alluded to that possibility.
Quote:
Typically, when things are going well, you donít have problems in the locker room. But when things arenít going well and you have got a losing streak going, players have a tendency to start pointing fingers, and sometimes coaches have a tendency to start pointing fingers, and it is very disruptive, very divisive. And what happens is youíll see that the team doesnít play as hard. And thatís never happened with Gary. Weíve been through some of those dips. Heís always been able to maintain the support of the players and the coaches. And theyíve always played hard. I mean, thereís no one in this league that will tell you that the Texans donít play hard. They do play hard.
Quote:

There's a chance they pull this off, but I think it ends with Gary getting fired due to him entering a final year in 2012. Wade will be the HC. It's been a grand design, IMO, by McNair as a way to improve his defense and have his next HC already inside the organization prior to firing Kubiak. Bob is showing an inability to look too far outside of his comfort zone. He's turtling up, and that's the exact mindset you see in our HC and in our players for 3/4th of the game each week. Attitude reflect leadership.
I don't know that I agree with this. I think it is a bold move by McNair, to go against what has become commonplace in this NFL by firing coaches often. I believe Kubiak has done a great job changing the mindset of this team, but this team is ready to take the next step, which I believe requires a new HC. A HC that will attract those final pieces we'll need from FAs.

But Kubiak is definitely on notice, his replacement (if only on an interim basis) is already in house. Given the uncertainty of the 2011 offseason & season, this might turn out to be the most logical course of action.
Quote:
I think Kubiak's getting played like a fiddle, and I wouldn't doubt that he knows it too. Serving out one more year, building his resume for future job opportunities (by making sure his offense continues to roll along in the stats categories), and hoping for a chance that his "kids" finally get it and help catapult us into a playoff run that will extend him for more years here. It's the nature of coaching jobs: You win some, you lose some, you move on until you hit the jackpot.
IMO, the bar has to be raised. If I'm McNair, a play-off appearance won't cut it. If Wade gets the people he wants, If this defense is much better (actually building off 2009 perfromance) and we're sniffing the top 10... Kubiak has to win the division, or make an appearance in the AFC Championship game. We could go 13-3, but if we're one & done in the play-offs, with a top 5 offense and ~top 10 defense... Kubiak would be gone.
Old 02-04-2011   #22
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not sure if anyone has said this yet....

But the hire of Wade Phillips, which essentially gives us a head coach for the offense (Kubiak) and a head coach for the defense (Phillips) could backfire big time.Why?

Bob McNair has essentially made an us vs. them arrangement, IMO.

If one side of the ball isn't getting their job done out there, the other side of the ball will see it as the head coach and players of that other unit NOT doing its job. This could pit offense vs. defense. I can envision Antonio Smith putting his finger into the chest of a guy like Eric Winston on the sideline, or other such shenanigans that involve accusing, blaming, and other such behavior.

It could cause division if it doesn't work out well. Wade and Gary could end up with a contentious situation on their hands.

Was already thinking this way yesterday, and then last night I watched a rerun of The Office where corporate made Jim and Michael Scott co-managers. Oscar then says, "You know, most successful organizations have two leaders. I mean, name a country that DOESN'T have two presidents."

There's a chance they pull this off, but I think it ends with Gary getting fired due to him entering a final year in 2012. Wade will be the HC. It's been a grand design, IMO, by McNair as a way to improve his defense and have his next HC already inside the organization prior to firing Kubiak. Bob is showing an inability to look too far outside of his comfort zone. He's turtling up, and that's the exact mindset you see in our HC and in our players for 3/4th of the game each week. Attitude reflect leadership.

I think Kubiak's getting played like a fiddle, and I wouldn't doubt that he knows it too. Serving out one more year, building his resume for future job opportunities (by making sure his offense continues to roll along in the stats categories), and hoping for a chance that his "kids" finally get it and help catapult us into a playoff run that will extend him for more years here. It's the nature of coaching jobs: You win some, you lose some, you move on until you hit the jackpot.
I don't think it is quite the Jerry Jones co-head coach model that Wade was under with Garrett. It does seem to be a situation where Kubiak (whether he is being forced to or not is an issue) is basically allowing Wade to run the whole defense from top to bottom. Considering that Phillips has shown that he can do this (unlike the rest of the admin staff), it is the proper move.

As for the other stuff, I think McNair is pretty transparent and there is no pre-planned exist strategy for Kubiak.
Old 02-04-2011   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I don't think it is quite the Jerry Jones co-head coach model that Wade was under with Garrett. It does seem to be a situation where Kubiak (whether he is being forced to or not is an issue) is basically allowing Wade to run the whole defense from top to bottom. Considering that Phillips has shown that he can do this (unlike the rest of the admin staff), it is the proper move.

As for the other stuff, I think McNair is pretty transparent and there is no pre-planned exist strategy for Kubiak.
No, I don't think he wants Kubiak gone and is just waiting for the 2011 reg season to be over in order to do so.

I think he's buying insurance. He bought insurance by extending Kubiak's contract, essentially trying to secure Kubiak in case the team went nuts and had playoff seasons.

This is his newest insurance policy: Wade Phillips as d-coord.

He's essentially got double-coverage: Kubiak is here through 2012, thanks to the extension. Wade is here in case Kubiak tanks and the offense quits on him in 2011.

Everything about McNair screams "Safety first!" instead of "Full steam ahead!"
Old 02-04-2011   #24
Neon Archie
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Neon Archie is a Hall of FamerNeon Archie is a Hall of FamerNeon Archie is a Hall of FamerNeon Archie is a Hall of FamerNeon Archie is a Hall of FamerNeon Archie is a Hall of FamerNeon Archie is a Hall of FamerNeon Archie is a Hall of FamerNeon Archie is a Hall of FamerNeon Archie is a Hall of Famer

The Phillips hire was essentially a PR move. Let's face it, a banana could do a better job than Frank Bush. It didn't matter from an X's and O's standpoint who he hired. Any new DC will show some sign of improvement.

This was McNair pandering to the Houston fans screaming for blood, pandering to the Luv Ya Blue nostalgia of old. A feeble, thinly veiled attempt for you to not give up on Smithiak.

Drink the koolaid, buy my tickets, Wade Phillips, Bum's Boy!, is here. Go Texans.
Neon Archie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read