Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-01-2011   #41
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Houston Texans: Nnamdi Asomugha is the Missing Link for the Texans Secondary

I would rather have Asomugh but Bailey would be an upgrade over Jackson.
Old 02-01-2011   #42
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Texans: Nnamdi Asomugha is the Missing Link for the Texans Secondary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
This is all true, but there is nothing in the Texans history to think that they're going to aggressively go after this guy especially when other teams will compete with them. They might actually express some interest just like every other team in the league who is in need of a shut down corner, but Smithiak isn't going to force Bob's hand. They never have in order to improve and Bob damn sure won't insist on a signing like this. This is a pipe dream that's more of laugher to me than anything.
Well, I disagree to an extent... The Texans went after Matt Schaub pretty aggressively and had to beat out several other teams to get him. At that point in time, there weren't too many other options available and it was beyond evident that HWSNBN wasn't going to cut it.

Hopefully, this last seasons epic fail in the secondary has opened their eyes enough to light a fire under their collective butts to get this done.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #43
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
Well, I disagree to an extent... The Texans went after Matt Schaub pretty aggressively and had to beat out several other teams to get him. At that point in time, there weren't too many other options available and it was beyond evident that HWSNBN wasn't going to cut it.

Hopefully, this last seasons epic fail in the secondary has opened their eyes enough to light a fire under their collective butts to get this done.
Yup. This "the Texans don't go after free agents" thing is way overblown. Todd Wade was the top ranked OL free agent that off-season. Same thing with Antonio Smith, Robaire Smith and as you mention Matt Schaub (not a free agent but an aggressive move). Now certainly some have sucked such as Wade and Robaire but it wasn't lack of trying.
Old 02-01-2011   #44
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
The Texans won't touch this guy. They're not committed enough in becoming a dominant team to where they'll go out and sign a missing piece like this. They've had all types of opportunities over the last few years to fix huge holes when certain players became available, and they've done nothing significant to make that splash or to address those important needs, especially on the defense. They've been anti free agency for years under Smithiak and as long as Smithiak is here they will only build through the draft.
+1 - I second this. We have made some significant free agent signings but we've passed on many more that seemed obvious to me.
Old 02-01-2011   #45
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
+1 - I second this. We have made some significant free agent signings but we've passed on many more that seemed obvious to me.

I don't understand the condemnation on this board about the lack of free agent signings. It takes two to tango, and the Texans do not release much info about what they are doing. We don't know who they have contacted in the past and were told the player was not interested in coming here. Maybe no one, maybe every significant FA to hit the market in the last 5 years.
Old 02-01-2011   #46
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This is the Catch-22. The only way that he'd sign with the Texans would be if he's all about the money. But the Texans do not want players that are only about the money.

And money is the only logically compelling reason for a high caliber FA to sign with this franchise.

Remember, this is the same team with a roomful of brainiacs that thought going into the 2010 season with McCain and Jackson as our starters was a good idea. So I am doubtful that they'd even go for a player like Asomugha when their M.O. is to put sprinkles on dog turds and act like they're brownies.
Well one difference is that Wade Phillips is here now. He has had some real good defenses and I bet if Phillips said he wanted Aso, McNair would listen.

Now, as I said before, Aso has been stuck in Oakland so I could see him wanting to go to a contender(as he will get great $ anyway). So, even if we make a push to sign him, we may not get him. I mean we made a move for Leigh Bodden and he used us to get more $ out of the Pats. Probably should have tried to get Lito Sheppard(if he was available) but was there anyone else even decent? I don't recall.

Please remind me.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I don't understand why McNair doesn't want to go after big name players.
How many big name FAs has Cleveland signed? San Francisco? Buffalo? Detroit? Has Arizona signed any big name FAs? & they've been to the Super Bowl.

I don't know that we don't go after FAs... agents are probably telling us don't bother from the get go.
Old 02-01-2011   #48
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup. This "the Texans don't go after free agents" thing is way overblown. Todd Wade was the top ranked OL free agent that off-season. Same thing with Antonio Smith, Robaire Smith and as you mention Matt Schaub (not a free agent but an aggressive move). Now certainly some have sucked such as Wade and Robaire but it wasn't lack of trying.
The problem is recognizing the talent level and fit with your team versus what a player's overall rank is. I mean saying Antonio smith is the best DLmen in his free agent class is not the same as saying that Julius Peppers was in his. Ultimately, this is why you need good football guys to know when a guy who looks like a meh signing like Wade smith this year that can h elp you win versus spending really big money on the "best" guy like Todd Wade who is not any better at way higher cost.
Old 02-01-2011   #49
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I don't understand the condemnation on this board about the lack of free agent signings. It takes two to tango, and the Texans do not release much info about what they are doing. We don't know who they have contacted in the past and were told the player was not interested in coming here. Maybe no one, maybe every significant FA to hit the market in the last 5 years.
yeah, I tend to be less critical of their inability to land free agents. Mainly due to the big picture of why would a free agent want to come here if all things are monetarily equal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Well one difference is that Wade Phillips is here now. He has had some real good defenses and I bet if Phillips said he wanted Aso, McNair would listen.
It makes sense. I hope you're right!
Old 02-01-2011   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
Well, I disagree to an extent... The Texans went after Matt Schaub pretty aggressively and had to beat out several other teams to get him.
I didn't think anyone else went after Schaub. I also thought it was pretty "last minute" in the process that we decided we wanted him.

We just offered him stupid money for no reason.
Old 02-01-2011   #51
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post

Now, as I said before, Aso has been stuck in Oakland so I could see him wanting to go to a contender(as he will get great $ anyway). So, even if we make a push to sign him, we may not get him. I mean we made a move for Leigh Bodden and he used us to get more $ out of the Pats. Probably should have tried to get Lito Sheppard(if he was available) but was there anyone else even decent? I don't recall.

Please remind me.
Lito Sheppard would have gotten us nowhere.

There was an opportunity back in 2008 to get Drayton Florence, but we didn't make that move. It wouldn't have been a marquee signing but Florence was the nickel back for San Diego the year before and was very effective. He was being looked at as a swing starter/nickel back. He went to Jax with a 6 year, $36 mil. contract, $15 mil guaranteed. He was released after one season and then signed with Buffalo. Last year, he had 3 INTs and 15 passes defensed. That one probably wouldn't have worked out here either with the inferior defensive coaches we've had over the years.

That's the problem we've had with free agents. Most of the time they have either been busts or have suffered from inferior coaching when they get here. While FAs aren't 22-23 year old draft picks, they still need to grow and be coached. We haven't had that here since Capers and Fangio and even the growth of the players then was probably below-average for the NFL. Let's hope this year will be different as far as the development of our players, most notably on defense obviously.

As far as Nnamdi, I wish. He would help out tremendously.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 02-01-2011 at 07:02 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #52
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Lito Sheppard would have gotten us nowhere.

There was an opportunity back in 2008 to get Drayton Florence, but we didn't make that move. It wouldn't have been a marquee signing but Florence was the nickel back for San Diego the year before and was very effective. He was being looked at as a swing starter/nickel back. He went to Jax with a 6 year, $36 mil. contract, $15 mil guaranteed. He was released after one season and then signed with Buffalo. Last year, he had 3 INTs and 15 passes defensed. That one probably wouldn't have worked out here either with the inferior defensive coaches we've had over the years.

That's the problem we've had with free agents. Most of the time they have either been busts or have suffered from inferior coaching when they get here. While FAs aren't 22-23 year old draft picks, they still need to grow and be coached. We haven't had that here since Capers and Fangio and even the growth of the players then was probably below-average for the NFL. Let's hope this year will be different as far as the development of our players, most notably on defense obviously.

As far as Nnamdi, I wish. He would help out tremendously.

I think that one of the biggest problems we had was trying to make the players fit the scheme, instead of fitting the scheme to the players. Hopefully Wade is not full of shit.
Old 02-01-2011   #53
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering that he just got out of Oakland, just about anywhere is going to look appealing by comparison, just to throw that out there. Generally speaking however, the majority is right and landing Aso would cost a lot of money. It'd be some of the best money that Bob ever spent, granted, but we all know the MO and there is no use in beating a dead horse. There isn't enough Kool-Aid in the world to get me to seriously speculate on the possibility of this.
Old 02-01-2011   #54
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is the same excuse I've heard from scary Texans fans on this site every time there is some potential free agent on the market that fills a huge hole here. The typical Haynesworth example pours out as if he's the only free agent that's ever hit the market. The only examples ever used are the ones that get way over paid and don't pan out, but the ones that do that just get their fair market value" for their position and their worth never get mentioned and get ignored. Newsflash folks, if you want to compete you're going to have to spend some money at certain positions and CB may be one of the highest paid positions in the league, but it is for a reason and if you want a guy who can cover and make a real impact you've got to pay him unless you hit the lottery of luck in the draft and get that stud, and after the looking at how poorly our rookie CB Jackson played this season that should be a big lesson in how hard it is to find a true shut down corner and how overrated draft picks are at times.

You guys seem to forget at how much you over pay with draft picks half the time as well and every draft pick is an unproven player. At least with a top free agent guy like Nnamdi, you know that you're getting a proven stud instead of "potential." Nnamdi has not shown to be anything like Haynesworth in the attitude department. Haynesworth looked like a bad signing from a mile away. The Eagles went out and spent nice money on a top flight CB in Asante Samuel and he hasn't been some poor signing that hurt their team. You've got to pay for good corners.

Oh the free agent fear and how it circulates.
It's not just the haynesworth deal, he's just the latest example.

You're smarter than that tex. The players that get their fair market value are usually garbage, you of all people should know that, hell we've signed our fair share of those guys every year here. FA for players is 80% grabbing the most money you can & the other 20% is getting on a contending team. 2nd, you don't need a shutdown cb to be an impact guy...just a competent one who can cover half a lick. Charles Tillman nor charles woodson are shutdown guys they're just damn good well rounded cbs.

As for the 2nd part...completely different scenario. Most teams draft guys in the 1st to be immediate starters & those slots usually dictates what those guys get. What are you going to do not pay the guy who you wasted your 1st round draft pick on?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #55
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You've been trying to argue this for years now. At some point the denial has to stop Cak. Every off season I've heard you make excuses on the lack of free agency moves that have locked this team down.

Todd Wade was the top OL free agent in the league? Lol! Maybe on some imaginary Texans blog he was after he was signed by a bunch of optimists, but Todd Wade never had that type of hype. Not even close. And Robaire Smith is your other example? Really? Hell, you could have done better by mentioning Phillip Buchannon, Amaan Green, or Erik Moulds even. At least those guys had decent seasons in their earlier careers at one point.

And Schaub wasn't exactly some guy who every team was after either. He was a guy that had question marks about him because he played here and there behind Vick. He wasn't some super hot commodity either. He was a back up QB that had potential to be a starter possibly at the time and Gary fell in love with him supposedly after a golf game.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #56
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

But if ASO is so good why has the raiders havent one anything the past like 7 years

wait why havent the texans won with there playmakers ????

NVM
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
But if ASO is so good why has the raiders havent one anything the past like 7 years

wait why havent the texans won with there playmakers ????

NVM
Just saying, there have been years when the Raiders defense has been top 10, but their offense has been putrid. Funny thing, I think the Raiders scored more than we did in 2010.
Old 02-02-2011   #58
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And that's just the guys they successfully signed. We also went hard after top guys and lost, like Bodden and Pace.
Old 02-02-2011   #59
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of yall sure are eager to spend other folks money. (McNair's).

Maybe you should run for Congress.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #60
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Yeah, it's beyond ridiculous b/c most of these people saying these things have no idea what goes on & are assuming things. It's black or white. The texans didn't sign peppers? It has to be the texans' fault that he didn't sign here....nevermind what the player may have wanted or had in mind.

Funny thing is, we watched the typical FA thing play itself out this past offseason with hosts of teams trying to court Lebron & Bosh.

Rockets fans: "we've got a great shot to get Bosh, we've got lots of assets, & a great team to build around him...Les & Morey just need to make it happen..Morey's down there with a van full of red rowdies making his pitch right now...yaaaayyyyyy!!!!"

The whole time bosh is thinking...."the rockets? please." ....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read