Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2011   #101
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McNair: "A championship is only bottom line that matters"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Last offseason it was "Playoffs or bust"....how'd that work out, stupid Texans front office?
Last offseason? It has been said here for 3 years.....right up until convenient excuses get in the way of reality.
Old 02-03-2011   #102
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
This isn't something exclusive to players on the texans roster & coaching staff though, it happens to players all over the league & its usually b/c said player gets exposed.

It happens to players all over the league, for winning & losing teams, its just myopic of us as texans fans to think that only our players regress... Bottom line is, guys who can play will show up or hold relatively steady, guys who can't will eventually get exposed.
No, it's myopic of you to assume that Texans fans think it only happens to this franchise. We fully realize that it happens to players on the Browns, Lions, Bengals, and other perpetually crappy teams.

Where it is least likely to happen is teams like the Patriots, Colts, Steelers...you know, perpetually successful teams that hire FO personnel and coaches that know how to find the right talent and develop it accordingly.

There are always exceptions to the rule, so don't bother cherry picking examples. We have 9 years of watching this franchise flounder for proof. An example here or there does not reverse the trend.
Old 02-03-2011   #103
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
That's fine. But what did you see out of Larry Johnson in 2009 or 2010 to support that? Lets see... after he was signed by Cinci he gained 204 yds. Wow!
2010 has nothing to do with anything.

We went into the bye week with obvious RB issues. Slaton contracted fumblitus, our coaches didn't trust Ryan Moats (why was he even on the team), and we came out of that week with Chris Brown as our featured back against a division rival. 11 caries, 36 yards.

Larry Johnson wasn't supposed to be our answer. Just our answer then. At the end of the season, we still should have drafted a RB, & let them compete with Foster & Slaton in the offseason.

Chris Brown or Larry Johnson.... that was the question.

How many people do you believe would have made the same decision "we" did?
Old 02-03-2011   #104
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
2010 has nothing to do with anything.

We went into the bye week with obvious RB issues. Slaton contracted fumblitus, our coaches didn't trust Ryan Moats (why was he even on the team), and we came out of that week with Chris Brown as our featured back against a division rival. 11 caries, 36 yards.

Larry Johnson wasn't supposed to be our answer. Just our answer then. At the end of the season, we still should have drafted a RB, & let them compete with Foster & Slaton in the offseason.

Chris Brown or Larry Johnson.... that was the question.

How many people do you believe would have made the same decision "we" did?
Feature back? - hardly. Brown had 11 attempts as his max that season (and one of the two occasions that happened was at 5.5 ypc so hard to complain about). The main point of Brown being in the game was pass protection. Not sure how Larry Johnson would have helped out in that regard.
Old 02-03-2011   #105
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
No, it's myopic of you to assume that Texans fans think it only happens to this franchise. We fully realize that it happens to players on the Browns, Lions, Bengals, and other perpetually crappy teams.

Where it is least likely to happen is teams like the Patriots, Colts, Steelers...you know, perpetually successful teams that hire FO personnel and coaches that know how to find the right talent and develop it accordingly.

There are always exceptions to the rule, so don't bother cherry picking examples. We have 9 years of watching this franchise flounder for proof. An example here or there does not reverse the trend.
Maybe i'm reading too much into his statement (not surprising) but this is what the guy wrote:

and for whatever reason.. when players come to the Texans, after their first year here, their play goes backwards ... yeah, that is coaching.

Pay attention to the bolded..that piece of the statement. Reading that part of it says To me that he honestly thinks that its our coaching staff thats causing texans players to regress as if it doesn't happen to other teams, winning or losing. All i did was try to point out that players regress for every team..I did not assume that all texans fans thought this; at least that wasn't the intent of my post & to be honest, its the very thing that i hate about some of the opinions on this board... Opinion isn't the truth or what is going to happen no matter how much truth is used to formulate/predict it. yet many including myself at times, try to pass theirs off that way.

The coaching isn't/wasn't worth a damn..we know that..that's a given. But at what point do we say "you know what bill walsh couldn't coach this guy up, he just can't play.." Do some of us really think that coaching is the reason Okoye is a below average DT? Why Pollard can't cover worth a damn? Why Wilson is terrible at FS? I just feel many are giving these crappy players a pass b/c they were brought here by a coach that hasn't been able to get it done.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #106
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Committed to winning a championship and knowing how to do so are two different things.

I honestly do not doubt his commitment.
Agreed. People saying McNair "cares about putting an NFL winner on the field" and getting all wrapPed up in their feelings are ignoring the difference about caring and just flat-out knowing how to make it happen.
Dishman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #107
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe i'm reading too much into his statement (not surprising) but this is what the guy wrote:

and for whatever reason.. when players come to the Texans, after their first year here, their play goes backwards ... yeah, that is coaching.

Pay attention to the bolded..that piece of the statement. Reading that part of it says To me that he honestly thinks that its our coaching staff thats causing texans players to regress as if it doesn't happen to other teams, winning or losing. All i did was try to point out that players regress for every team..I did not assume that all texans fans thought this; at least that wasn't the intent of my post & to be honest, its the very thing that i hate about some of the opinions on this board... Opinion isn't the truth or what is going to happen no matter how much truth is used to formulate/predict it. yet many including myself at times, try to pass theirs off that way.

The coaching isn't/wasn't worth a damn..we know that..that's a given. But at what point do we say "you know what bill walsh couldn't coach this guy up, he just can't play.." Do some of us really think that coaching is the reason Okoye is a below average DT? Why Pollard can't cover worth a damn? Why Wilson is terrible at FS? I just feel many are giving these crappy players a pass b/c they were brought here by a coach that hasn't been able to get it done.
Okay, I see your point. I think the problem with the Texans is picking the wrong players to begin with, which is what I believe that you are saying here. We certainly cannot expect some of these players to be 'coached up' to do things that they are simply incapable of doing. They were wrong picks to begin with. Something about polishing a turd goes here.

My buddy is always asking me "players or schemes (coaches)", and I tend to think it comes back to coaches, simply because they are picking the players, as well as the schemes.

I didn't mean to read too much into your post. It just came across in a way (about all fans), so that's where I was coming from. Apologies for the confusion.
Old 02-03-2011   #108
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okay, I see your point. I think the problem with the Texans is picking the wrong players to begin with, which is what I believe that you are saying here. We certainly cannot expect some of these players to be 'coached up' to do things that they are simply incapable of doing. They were wrong picks to begin with. Something about polishing a turd goes here.

My buddy is always asking me "players or schemes (coaches)", and I tend to think it comes back to coaches, simply because they are picking the players, as well as the schemes.

I didn't mean to read too much into your post. It just came across in a way (about all fans), so that's where I was coming from. Apologies for the confusion.
I think you said something about it being players and coaches combined a year or two ago (someone even sports it as a sig or did for a while). I think that was correct.

For example since people love to hate on this decision, Chris Brown's HB pass. He may have executed that flawlessly 100 times in practice and been repeatedly told not to throw it unless absolutely certain. Maybe he couldn't have been coached any better on a play Parcells, Shottenheimer, Belichick have all called in similar circumstances. Or maybe he was always spotty and it truly was a poor coaching decision. We will never know.

A more positive example would be the way the Texans came out for game #1 last season. They had the look. Don't know if the coaches did something special that week or the players or a combination. They sure as heck didn't have it for the rest of the season.
Old 02-03-2011   #109
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's man, as i said i don't excuse myself from making the same mistakes at times. I do however try to phrase my posts in an opinionative manner if that makes any sense. Some on here however, do not & it irks me to no end.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #110
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This isn't something exclusive to players on the texans roster & coaching staff though, it happens to players all over the league & its usually b/c said player gets exposed.

It happens to players all over the league, for winning & losing teams, its just myopic of us as texans fans to think that only our players regress... Bottom line is, guys who can play will show up or hold relatively steady, guys who can't will eventually get exposed.
I don't know, maybe it is scouting then.. I mean look at all the draft pics that the Texan have done over the years and once they leave Houston, how many go somewhere else and res-erect their career.. they seem to drop out of the league

Babin,Faggins, Pitts are the only ones that I can think of (off the top of my head) that I have heard anything about and with Babin doing something with another team(finally after going to his 4th team) .
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #111
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob... my season ticket payment's in. Now please stop feeding me gruel so STFU.
Old 02-03-2011   #112
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

Babin,Faggins, Pitts are the only ones that I can think of (off the top of my head) that I have heard anything about and with Babin doing something with another team(finally after going to his 4th team) .
CC Brown was playing for the Lions last year.

Gaffney was the second leading receiver for the Broncos.
TJ is still part of the Chargers DL rotation.
Jaques Reeves is pretty active on Twitter.
Fred Bennett played for the Chargers & the Bengals in 2010
& I hear Tramon Williams is going to the Super Bowl.
Old 02-03-2011   #113
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree with most of this post.

The questions you ask about personel are valid. But these are the guys that Rick and Gary brought in and for that they should've been fired. BoB decided to go another route and bring in the white horsr in shining armor routine. (Phillips)

We'll see if BoB was right in this decision. So far history says this experiment will fail miserably and it will probably be atleast 3 yrs before the Texans make the payoffs if they're lucky.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #114
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
^^^^^
This

LOL, it's embarrasing.

He makes me feel stupid when he talks like this.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #115
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob McNair: "A championship is only bottom line that matters" .................TO WHOM, BOB????.........TO WHOM????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #116
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29606 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Lmao!

Nice!
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read