Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-27-2011   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kuharsky sits down with Bruce Smith to discuss Mario in Wade's 3-4 defense

Kuharsky (AFC South blog) asks Bruce Smith to comment on Phillips as d-coord and how Mario Williams factors into the 3-4 defense.

Didn't see this posted, so if I missed that somebody else has posted this, please merge.

Quote:
As Wade Phillips takes over as Houstonís defensive coordinator, he inherits one of the leagueís most talented and feared defensive players.

Mario Williams has been slowed by injuries the last two seasons, playing through shoulder and groin issues that ultimately cost him six games. But even banged up, heís a defensive end any coordinator in the league would love to have.

Phillips will take a guy whoís played his first five NFL seasons in a 4-3 defensive front and work to transform him into a 3-4 end.

Itís a different job and it may be a difficult switch.

But Phillips cited Bruce Smith, the Hall of Fame defensive end and NFLís all-time leader in sacks, who played in the coachís 3-4 for five seasons in Buffalo, as an example of what Williams will be able to do in the new defense.

I spoke with Smith this week and asked him about his life as a 3-4 end, Williams, Phillips and the Texansí transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

Here is the meat of our conversation:

How much were you a 3-4 guy versus a 4-3 guy?

Bruce Smith: I played my whole career in a 3-4. My whole career with the Bills, 13 years. We did, at some point in time when Wade came in, experiment with a 4-3, but just did not have it, whether it was the personnel or our not being able to get a grasp on it, we didnít stick with it.

Phillips has been using you as a selling point for the transition with Williams. Does that fit from your perspective?

Former Bills defensive end and Hall of Famer Bruce Smith says the Texans' Mario Williams needs to be a "student of the game" to switch to the 3-4 defense.
BS: I have the utmost respect for Wade, his coaching ability and his ability to be able to bring out talent. Mario is a very talented young man and I donít think he has scratched the surface in what he is capable of, just utter dominance on the defensive line. Playing in a 3-4 scheme, you have to be a student of the game.

You have to know where the double team is coming from; where the pressure is coming from if there is a blitz package; if you have help, if you donít have help; when you have to make sure you have contain. You have to know when they are slide protecting, when they are fan protecting, when you have an opportunity to have one-on-ones. If you know when that double team is coming, you have to know if you can beat it quick enough before that second guy gets a hand on you and all of a sudden the two offensive linemen are chasing you. In many cases, thatís what happened for me. In many cases, you have to know where that chip block is coming from, if they are leaving the tight end in.

Being a dominant defensive end in a 3-4 defense, this is a much more difficult position to play. Youíre going to get double teamed far more often than you will in a 4-3. Thatís why his becoming a student of the game is critical.

How much do you know about him and his capacity to do that?

BS: The story is yet to be written. I havenít spent a significant amount of time around him. I donít know his study habits, I donít know his workout habits. Iíve watched games specifically just to study him. He came on my radio show this past year. He is an extremely talented and gifted young man. I think Wade will be able to do a world of good for him.

Are they being a little risky moving him when heís been very good in a 4-3?

BS: Whatís good for the team? Thatís the ultimate goal. Players can adapt. What is good for the ultimate benefit for the team to win games? We canít think about whether one player dictates the defensive scheme or that we have to retrofit the defense for one particular player. Whatís going to be the most beneficial for the defense and team as a whole?

If heís a dominant player in a 4-3, he can be a dominant player in a 3-4. Youíre going to take less abuse in a 4-3 than in a 3-4, thatís just by design. Youíre going to get double teamed a hell of a lot more.

[A Paul Kuharsky aside: That scares me. While Williams has not complained or used his injuries as an excuse, if heís been beat up the last two years in the 4-3, is it smart to put him in line for additional abuse?]

Your thoughts on Phillips at this point?

BS: I canít sing Wadeís praises enough. How he was able to command the respect of his players. I think itís imperative that people get an understanding of this: Wade is the type of coach that thrives when there is accountability, when there are players that believe in his system and with players that are motivated from within.

If he has that type of atmosphere, he can be one of the most dominant defensive coordinators thatís out there. I just hope heís landed in the right situation because I just think the way it went down in Dallas was an injustice.

Had you been a 4-3 end your whole career, how many more sacks might you have had?

BS: Iíve been told by other offensive linemen and coaches that had to scheme against me, ĎBruce, you probably would have ended up with 300 sacks as opposed to 200 because of those double teams you had to face, occasional triple teams and the abuse and wear and tear on your body.í Iíve had nine to 11 surgeries as a result of the chop blocks and things of that nature.

But I can say this: As a result of playing in a 3-4, Iím a complete player. Not only a dominant force to be reckoned with and I think the best thatís played the game rushing the quarterback, but I had balance. I was also a dominant run stopper. Ending a career with roughly 1,100 tackles while being the NFL sack leader, that goes to show you what kind of balance I had.

Marioís going to have an opportunity to make a ton of tackles, heís going to have opportunity to rush the quarterback. When people are keying in on him, Wade will move him around and try to get him away from the double teams, but they will still find you. The quarterback will walk to the line of scrimmage and point you out, the offensive line will say 'Hey, we need to get a couple hats on him.' But that will allow someone else either to have one-on-one blocking, or to come scott free. There are a lot of advantages.

How long will this transition take for Houston?

BS: Itís going to take some time.
Old 01-27-2011   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kuharsky sits down with Bruce Smith to discuss Mario in Wade's 3-4 defense

Not really feeling all that optimistic about Mario's chances at success now.

Feeling good about Wade's overall chances at success. Not so good about Mario.

It sounds like it's a recipe for Mario to look for a way out after 2011, yet the Texans would probably just franchise him. Or move him by trade deadline in 2011 somehow. I just don't think he's going to be able to thrive, unless he's used VERY creatively.
Old 01-27-2011   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kuharsky sits down with Bruce Smith to discuss Mario in Wade's 3-4 defense

Quote:
Hall of Famer Bruce Smith says the Texans' Mario Williams needs to be a "student of the game" to switch to the 3-4 defense.
Yeah, that doesn't sound like Mario at all. In 5 years he still hasn't expanded on his pass rushing moves.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

It sounds like it's a recipe for Mario to look for a way out after 2011, yet the Texans would probably just franchise him. Or move him by trade deadline in 2011 somehow. I just don't think he's going to be able to thrive, unless he's used VERY creatively.
Who cares whether Mario thrives in the system? I sure don't. If the defense is good, I could care less if Mario only ends up with 7 sacks. Highlighting Mario as the team's one playmaker on defense hasn't exactly been a successful recipe to date.
Old 01-27-2011   #5
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario doesn't have the inner drive to dominate like Bruce Smith did, doubt he's going to dedicate any time to being dominant either. Injuries are a constant with him to make excuses for under-performing.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Bruce Smith is an example of how a great player can thrive in any system. Mario Williams is no Bruce Smith. That doesn't mean that Mario can't produce in the 3-4.
Old 01-27-2011   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mario can be very successful in this defense. Not saying "will" but "can". And although I want him to be successful, his success is less important to me that the success of the team.

The team's success is the only really important thing.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2011   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

My gawd, TPN and Dale. I freaking KNEW there would be at least one or two people come here and pull the "I don't care what Mario does, I care about the team" chest thumping card.

No sh!t, sherlocks.

I even went to the length of saying "Wade's overall success" which IMPLIES that I meant that Wade can still get the defense to succeed even if Mario is not thriving in the 3-4 from a personal play standpoint.

It's OK to wish someone personal success. And the better Mario does, the better the team does. It's inherent to the success of the defense as a whole.

I could've bet the mortgage on this stuff. Geez...

The thread is about what Bruce Smith said about Mario Williams, and I see red flags all over it. The good news is that Bruce's comments also illuminate what he thinks of Wade as a d-coord. So there's a silver lining even if Mario is taking remedial 3-4 classes when the other kids are outside playing.
Old 01-27-2011   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

NOTE: I don't think you two guys were necessarily needling me about anything.

But I did know, when I posted what I posted, that somebody would just have to satisfy the urge to go the route of saying that stuff about personal success vs. team success.

To me, the two are tied together fairly closely. Great teams have great players who excel at their job(s) and lift others to higher levels. With Mario being in a contract year, it will be interesting to see how the switch to a 3-4 impacts the contract talks with Mario as 2011 progresses.

If things are going well, then good. If he looks bad, we're going to potentially have the opportunity to move him to a 4-3 team at the trade deadline and get something BIG for it. And we could tag his ass for two straight years if he wants to play hardball, too, if I remember the franchise rules (you can only tag a guy two years in a row or some such stuff like that).

I think this is a win-win for us. This is the year Mario has to grow or go, IMO. He's going to have to be teachable and ready to do whatever it takes.
Old 01-27-2011   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NOTE: I don't think you two guys were necessarily needling me about anything.
Personally, I wasn't saying anything to you. I wasn't needling you or anything.

And I think a lot of times, you take whatever I write and just take it as an attack or some sort of attempt to get a rise out of you when it's not meant that way at all.

NOTE: I mean, I was basically agreeing with you and you decided to get weird about it.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Personally, I wasn't saying anything to you. I wasn't needling you or anything.

And I think a lot of times, you take whatever I write and just take it as an attack or some sort of attempt to get a rise out of you when it's not meant that way at all.

NOTE: I mean, I was basically agreeing with you and you decided to get weird about it.
Well, if we were to bring up the posts from the past (back when I would actually engage in dialogue with you, which I just started up again tonight) you did indeed hammer me. It seemed everywhere I went on here, there you were right behind me with a great deal of misery behind your replies to my posts.

Surely you've noticed that I haven't responded to your posts in practically something like 6 months or a year ago. Not even sure on the actual timeline. I just know I jumped ship on having dialogue with you because it just wasn't worth the grief anymore.

As for Dale, he went bat shit crazy on me one day. Then when I was out of town and couldn't post on the board to reply to the thread where he went nutso on me...he called me out and said "Just like I thought, he's nowhere to be found" or something similar to that. That pissed me off royally, to do that crap when I wasn't even aware of what was going on (due to being away from Internet signal for a few days).

Anyways, the point remains: You two had to satisfy the urge to make sure everyone knew you cared the most about TEAM success, which is pretty much Captain Obvious to everyone here. So that's where I get cranky about the whole deal. It was just awkward, and I knew it wouldn't be long before someone had to put on the Captain Obvious superhero cape and come to the rescue.

Rant over, I think this dead horse has been beaten enough, carry on and all that jazz...
Old 01-27-2011   #12
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think that this is going to be that big of an issue. Wade seems like he will be creative AND adaptive enough to get the most out of Mario. As long as Mario buys into it then I think all will be good.

Also, hasn't Wade said that we would likely be in a 4-3 on passing downs anyway? Mario will still be able to put up the sack numbers.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #13
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

No one's going to be keying in so much on Mario when Connor Barwin is the one reigning holy terror all over the offensive backfield.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I don't think that this is going to be that big of an issue. Wade seems like he will be creative AND adaptive enough to get the most out of Mario. As long as Mario buys into it then I think all will be good.

Also, hasn't Wade said that we would likely be in a 4-3 on passing downs anyway? Mario will still be able to put up the sack numbers.
This is going to be what's most telling, to me. Wade said he wants to use the players to their strengths instead of putting them into places they don't fit into.

Which begs the question: Will he try to make Mario a Bruce Smith version 2.0, or will he adapt and adjust and try to find the best EFFECTIVE fit for Mario? And will that be a fit that means personal success for Mario, or will it be a fit that makes Mario a decent player but not "the main guy" which ends up frustrating Mario during a contract year.

This is his contract year. If he were to go to another team, it will be of utmost importance, to Mario and his agent, that Mario look good on film during 2011.

I can see this being a VERY delicate and important situation. If this isn't handled with extreme caution and with due diligence on Wade's behalf--to get Mario into the best situations possible--then it could become a problem.
Old 01-27-2011   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
No one's going to be keying in so much on Mario when Connor Barwin is the one reigning holy terror all over the offensive backfield.
I hope you're right, but the way that foot was pointed (when he got hurt) I am just trying to wrap my mind around how he comes back and doesn't deal with ankle problems off-and-on all the time.

Holy crap that can't be good for a person to have had that happen. And then to come back and be running full steam ahead on it, making hard plants and cuts on it, pushing off on it, pivoting on it, etc.

I have a confession: Ankle and joint injuries gross me completely out! I mean, I can stand the sight of blood. I can stand a lot of things. But seeing Theisman's leg snap, and seeing Barwin's foot pointed the wrong way, make me gag a little.
Old 01-27-2011   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
That's exactly who I think will benefit the most from the 3-4 change. If Barwin can stay healthy and see the field a lot, Barwin should have a lot of success in that scheme along with Cushing as well. I've always had an itch to see Cushing in the 3-4 scheme.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #17
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is going to be what's most telling, to me. Wade said he wants to use the players to their strengths instead of putting them into places they don't fit into.

Which begs the question: Will he try to make Mario a Bruce Smith version 2.0, or will he adapt and adjust and try to find the best EFFECTIVE fit for Mario? And will that be a fit that means personal success for Mario, or will it be a fit that makes Mario a decent player but not "the main guy" which ends up frustrating Mario during a contract year.

This is his contract year. If he were to go to another team, it will be of utmost importance, to Mario and his agent, that Mario look good on film during 2011.

I can see this being a VERY delicate and important situation. If this isn't handled with extreme caution and with due diligence on Wade's behalf--to get Mario into the best situations possible--then it could become a problem.
I think we also find out a lot more about what drives Mario. Is it going to be team success or personal accolades? If the guy just wants to win and brings the right attitude to the switch, then I think he turns into a really great 3-4 DE. If not, then I'm sure he will be gone in a year or two.

Quote:
I have a confession: Ankle and joint injuries gross me completely out! I mean, I can stand the sight of blood. I can stand a lot of things. But seeing Theisman's leg snap, and seeing Barwin's foot pointed the wrong way, make me gag a little.
Don't watch the Andrew Bogut elbow injury then!
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I think we also find out a lot more about what drives Mario. Is it going to be team success or personal accolades? If the guy just wants to win and brings the right attitude to the switch, then I think he turns into a really great 3-4 DE. If not, then I'm sure he will be gone in a year or two.

Don't watch the Andrew Bogut elbow injury then!
In reply to your first point:

Well, I think Mario has earned (and I see this loosely) a shot at being put in as good of a position as possible. I'm not talking necessarily about him being completely idolized and worshipped. I'm just saying that it could be easy, with the switch to the 3-4, for Mario to get lost in the transition.

He has been a guy who runs the width of the field and tracks down a guy from behind, after you think he was completely out of the play from the beginning. Throughout all the years he's been here, he's seemingly played through injuries and has tried to be the best No. 1 pick he could be. I know he gets the "he's not motivated" tag, but I don't think it fits. Now, I think that tag fits HWMNBN and some others (like Travis Johnson, though he wasn't a no. 1 pick) but not a complete tailor-made tag for Mario.

I think he'll be his best when he's lined up in a funky spot, possibly as a LB off the LOS a few feet (standing up rather than hand in the dirt). I remember Bruce Smith sort of roaming the LOS during the QB's sap count, acting like he was going to shoot one gap and then hopping over to another gap just before the snap.

I am getting pretty excited, in spite of not being totally happy, about how Wade goes about changing the defense and if he can make a good run at it. It's at least something "new" to look at and discuss.

In reply to your second point:

I will NOT be watching the Bogut injury! LOL.
Old 01-28-2011   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Same here. I'm not sure if Mario is a "student of the game" as Bruce Smith mentioned. Hopefully he is and I hope he has success under Wade Phillips but my gut is telling me he won't.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #20
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree that after this interview I don't feel very optimistic about it, but I really could careless if Mario had 2 sacks by week 15 but the team was ranked say...17th in overall defense. Oh well, time to move on from Mario and send him back to a team that plays a 4-3 so he can have success again.

Problem is, if Mario does have a bad year the Texans will franchise him. Pretty sure, but they won't do the next smart move (which would be then trading him for top picks) they will hang onto him because if it's one thing this organization has proven is that they are patient to the point that it hurts the team. Banging their head against something that doesn't works (Carr...Okoye...Kubes...) and by the time they realize that Mario hasn't worked out he will have lost all of his value.

So I hope Mario goes out there and dominates. One because I am a fan of his, he's one of my favorite players on the team. He's not overly cocky and he seems like a chill dude. Off the top of my head he had 9 sacks? With the injury he had for most of the year that is beyond impressive. The best part is what Smith is saying and what many others have been saying...he can still get better and is only 25, for a DE he has at least 4-5 great years ahead of him followed by a couple of more years of solid veteran play. I really hope guys like him, Meco, Andre at least sniff the lombardi one day as Texans.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read