Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Will you watch the Pro Bowl?
Dread? Has the weight of those dreadlocks affected your brain? Hell no. 6 12.24%
Yes...it's as American as apple pie. Iesvs would watch the Pro Bowl! 1 2.04%
Bwahahaha ha haaaaa! Oh my god. You were SERIOUS! OF COURSE NOT! 7 14.29%
Of course I'll watch...it is the perfect prelude the Superbowl. 5 10.20%
The Pro what? 9 18.37%
(burrrp) Sure...what the hell. 21 42.86%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2011   #1
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Pro Bowl...Who cares?

Okay...for the bulk of it's existence, the Pro Bowl was just an excuse to fly the best players in the NFL to Hawaii for a week to play an exibition game and the league got a huge tax write off. It occurred the week after the Superbowl and 12 people who weren't related to those selected actually watched it. Commissioner Goddell (whom I think is a nidiot not worthy to SAY the name of the Late Great Pete Roselle) moved it to the week BEFORE the Superbowl in hopes that it would increase viewership...cha...I'm still not watching it. What about you guys?
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"

Last edited by Dread-Head; 01-26-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pro Bowl...Who cares?

I will probably watch just to watch Foster & Leach.
Old 01-26-2011   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

The pro bowl has lost its luster. It is as exciting as watching the NBA all star teams score 190 points each.

Will watch for Foster/Leach. Once they are pulled, the TV gets changed.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #4
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

brrrrp

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'll watch about as much of it as I normally do, which is to say if I happen to be on the couch flipping channels and run across it, I'll watch a few plays before I start crying over the loss of football for the year.

Putting the game before the SB has made the Pro Bowl a complete joke. Now you have a decent percentage of the top players bowing out because they're playing in the SB, in addition to the already high numbers of players bowing out due to injury and surgery. So we get to watch an All Star game with the 4th and 5th best QBs, the 5th and 6th best WRs, etc. We get to watch the 4th and 5th best DEs not rush the passer, while the 3rd and 4th best blitzing OLBs don't blitz. Yeah, compelling stuff.
Old 01-26-2011   #6
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 2739 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected

That game is completely unwatchable. I'd rather watch paint dry.

In fact...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1VEY7ndKCs
Craig. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253428 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I will probably watch just to watch Foster & Leach.
Yep. And after a few minutes of that I'll have probably had enough. It's a useless game that risks potential injury.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2011   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Probowls still go a long way in making the HOF.
Old 01-26-2011   #9
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 62368 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Will watch just to see a few Texans on the field again.....won't see that again for a few months...if that...thanks NFL CBA dispute!!

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I usually don't watch it...but probably because I'd forget it was on when it was a week or two after the Super Bowl. Also because it's just not that good of football being played.

But, last year and this year it's different. Being a week before the SB makes sense, but mainly I'll watch because my son digs it. Just spending some quality time with him is worth it, so it's cool in that regard.
Old 01-26-2011   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Probowls still go a long way in making the HOF.
At some point going forward they won't. Last year was the first year that the PB was played before the Super Bowl, and that factor alone increased the number of players "named" to the Pro Bowl team. If that continues, the voters will recognize and take into account that being named to a Pro Bowl is a lot cheaper than it once was.

All Pro has always and will continue to matter more. Of course, you still have players who were completely dominant and named to All Decade teams that aren't in the HoF, so I pretty much go with the assumption that HoF voters are biased hacks.

*coughDrDoomcough*
Old 01-26-2011   #12
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

me and my buddies flew to miami last year to watch it.. well not just the pro bowl we did a bunch of things and it was one of the best vacations ive ever had... but not because of the pro bowl lol we arrived to the stadium with a nice buzz going but the $10 beers the buzz quickly went away so i had tons of fun for the first quarter lol and we left at half time to beat traffic and go drink some more lol but the best part of that pro bowl was... we left winnipeg thursday evening and connected in Minneapolis and sure enough mr adrian peterson himself came and sat 3 seats ahead of us and once we got to miami he was kind enough to talk to us for abit and take some pictures... but in the end the pro bowl was only good when schaub and aj were lighting it up and then it was supppperrrr boring
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #13
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I usually don't watch it...but probably because I'd forget it was on when it was a week or two after the Super Bowl. Also because it's just not that good of football being played.

But, last year and this year it's different. Being a week before the SB makes sense, but mainly I'll watch because my son digs it. Just spending some quality time with him is worth it, so it's cool in that regard.
I don't get the bolded. To me, by having it the week before the superbowl, you are ensuring that the players from the top 2 teams in football who made the game, are not able to attend. I realize that the top tier players often opt out, but I really can't see how guaranteeing their absence makes the game better.

But, meh. I will only watch to see Foster and Leach, so no real big deal to me.
Old 01-26-2011   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I will probably watch just to have an excuse to get trashed ..... and watch Foster & Leach.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Excuses? I don't need no stinkin' excuses!
Old 01-26-2011   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be watching to see our, not only Pro-Bowl, but also "All-Pro" backfield (and of course AJ, as well) representin'!!!
Old 01-27-2011   #17
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'll be watching to see our, not only Pro-Bowl, but also "All-Pro" backfield (and of course AJ, as well) representin'!!!
Did AJ even make the trip? I know he won't play, but did he even travel?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Eh, I like it. I loved DeMeco's first trip. First play of the game he tipped a pass away. Second he intercepted. OD being a TD machine. Schaub being put back in the game to go win it. Quite the compliment there as the coach said the game plan was to put Schaub back in if needed to win the game. I'll watch it this year too to see Leach pound some pro-bowl LB to spring Foster.

Really glad to see unsung hero Leach make it. Y'all voted for him as did the players and coaches. Might as well watch his time in the sun.
Old 01-27-2011   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I don't get the bolded. To me, by having it the week before the superbowl, you are ensuring that the players from the top 2 teams in football who made the game, are not able to attend. I realize that the top tier players often opt out, but I really can't see how guaranteeing their absence makes the game better.

But, meh. I will only watch to see Foster and Leach, so no real big deal to me.
To me, the season is over when the Super Bowl clock is at 0:00. It's been that way for me much of my life, so I'm just not looking for football after the big game is over.

I understand where you're coming from, but in the end, the Pro Bowl is never good football. It's an exhibition game, at best. I always liked it as a kid because it was colorful with all the players wearing their team's helmets. But as I got older and a more serious football fan, I found the game to be boring and stopped watching for decades. Even with the Super Bowl teams having players in it, it's still not great football, so it doesn't matter much to me if they play or not.

Being a week before the Super Bowl, IMO, makes a lot more sense. We are right in the middle of the championship frenzy, football is still being talked about, the season still alive and buzzing. And since this is the first weekend since August that is empty, seeing the Pro Bowl kinda' fills a void for some.

So I don't disagree with you, but as an exhibition game, it doesn't make much of a difference if a handful of players are not in it. JMO
Old 01-27-2011   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Eh, I like it. I loved DeMeco's first trip. First play of the game he tipped a pass away. Second he intercepted. OD being a TD machine. Schaub being put back in the game to go win it. Quite the compliment there as the coach said the game plan was to put Schaub back in if needed to win the game. I'll watch it this year too to see Leach pound some pro-bowl LB to spring Foster.

Really glad to see unsung hero Leach make it. Y'all voted for him as did the players and coaches. Might as well watch his time in the sun.
Yeah, but who wouldn't have? Norv had Schaub, VY and Garrard to choose from.

But I agree, it was fun watching Schaub and AJ put on a clinic. Personally, I think Schaub deserved the spot in front of Cassel this year. Cassel? Seriously?

I will probably watch just to see my boy Leach crack some heads a bit

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read