Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-25-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default TC:Mario Williams sack numbers under Wade Phillips;

Quote:
Mario Williams sack numbers under Wade Phillips; Yelling in the wilderness about defense

he big question for the Texans in the off-season is what will be the effect of new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' coaching on the Texans defense and how quickly the defense will be able to adjust to the 3-4.

Friend o the blog, Football Outsider's Bill Barnwell sent me these interesting numbers. From his essay for the Maple Street Press Cowboys Annual, here are the sack numbers for defensive end's under Phillips' 3-4: [Updated: Doh, I typed in the table wrong. Fixed]

Year Team Sacks
1998 Buf 17.5
1999 Buf 13
2000 Buf 12.5
2002 Atl 16.5
2003 Atl 10.5
2004 SD 1.5
2005 SD 6.5
2006 SD 8.5
2007 Dal 5.5
2008 Dal 4.0
2009 Dal 4.0

Those last numbers get pretty anemic. Mario Williams might be the best defensive end pass rusher Wade Phillips has had since Bruce Smith, but going by the numbers, should we expect a ton of sacks from the Phillips' defensive end position?

Cheeseburger Nose Tackles
http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2...umbers_un.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 52955 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TC:Mario Williams sack numbers under Wade Phillips;

I still think that MW will get a lot of snaps at the OLB spot.
Old 01-25-2011   #3
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I still think that MW will get a lot of snaps at the OLB spot.
I think that depends on what kind of player they can get opposite Barwin this off-season. I believe its close to 50% chance we use our 1 on an OLB and if it happens there won't be many snaps for Mario there. If we have to resort to Jessie Nading and Tim Jamison I could see them being very creative with SM but if that's the case I don't really love our options at end opposite Antonio.
Old 01-25-2011   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 52955 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I think that depends on what kind of player they can get opposite Barwin this off-season. I believe its close to 50% chance we use our 1 on an OLB and if it happens there won't be many snaps for Mario there. If we have to resort to Jessie Nading and Tim Jamison I could see them being very creative with SM but if that's the case I don't really love our options at end opposite Antonio.
I think they will be doing a lot of rotations, and moving Mario all over the place.

Depending on the matchups of course
Old 01-25-2011   #5
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And some thought the 2010 Texans were a team "without a single glaring weakness" (and believed that in 2009 too)

No no no no and no. Thousands of times no. NO. NOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOOO!

To fix something, you have to acknowledge the extent of how truly terrible it has been. The Texans defense has been CONSISTENTLY HORRENDOUS since the beginning of the franchise. And under Kubiak it has been very very bad.
This part is spot on! To fix something, it has to be broken first. Our defense is broken. Actually, I don't think its ever been fixed. Part of the problem is they don't/won't get the "cheese burger" d-linemen that's you've alluded too.

D-line for the final four playoff teams:

Green Bay: BJ Raji 6-2, 337#
Pittsburgh: Casey Hampton 6-1, 325# (no way he's 325)
NY Jets: Sione Pouha 6-3, 325#
Chicago: Anthony Adams 6-0, 310# (only 4-3 team)

The best DT in the business, Haloti Ngata, is 6-4, 350#. I don't know who's philosophy it is to use small DTs, but they are dead wrong.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #6
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
This part is spot on! To fix something, it has to be broken first. Our defense is broken. Actually, I don't think its ever been fixed. Part of the problem is they don't/won't get the "cheese burger" d-linemen that's you've alluded too.

D-line for the final four playoff teams:

Green Bay: BJ Raji 6-2, 337#
Pittsburgh: Casey Hampton 6-1, 325# (no way he's 325)
NY Jets: Sione Pouha 6-3, 325#
Chicago: Anthony Adams 6-0, 310# (only 4-3 team)

The best DT in the business, Haloti Ngata, is 6-4, 350#. I don't know who's philosophy it is to use small DTs, but they are dead wrong.
I completely agree with you. But

Ndamukong Suh 6'4 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post

Ndamukong Suh 6'4 307
Warren Sapp 6'2 barely 3 bills. Small & quick is not such a bad thing...................unless you can't play.....Looking at you Amobi.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2011   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

X-Factor..... This is the last year in Mario's contract. Throw all that other bullshite aside.
Old 01-25-2011   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see Mario getting a lot of snaps at OLB...He is not that type of athlete...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #10
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't see Mario getting a lot of snaps at OLB...He is not that type of athlete...

I agree. The thought of a 6'6" 290-Lbs OLB trying to cover a TE or another receiver is scary. I wouldn't mind trading him away to a team that uses a 4-3 or is going towards a 4-3, it would be good for both of us as I hate to see Mario's talents go to waste playing DE in a 3-4 scheme.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I agree. The thought of a 6'6" 290-Lbs OLB trying to cover a TE or another receiver is scary. I wouldn't mind trading him away to a team that uses a 4-3 or is going towards a 4-3, it would be good for both of us as I hate to see Mario's talents go to waste playing DE in a 3-4 scheme.
If MW was to line up at OLB he's either rushing the QB or dropping into a zone. They arent going to expect him to cover anyone in particular.
Old 01-25-2011   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
...it would be good for both of us as I hate to see Mario's talents go to waste playing DE in a 3-4 scheme.
The Texans 3-4 scheme isn't written in stone for decades. If Kubiak and Phillips fall flat, another coach with a different scheme could arrive in 2012. A new scheme can be picked up anytime. Talents like Mario come after miserable 2-14 seasons. Penny wise and pound foolish to trade Mario because he might not match a scheme. Great defensive minds incorporate the talent they have into effective units. You don't think Bill Belichick, Rex Ryan, or Bill Cowher could find a way to utilize Mario?

I'm not suggesting Phillips can't. I'm suggesting that Phillips should.
Old 01-25-2011   #13
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post

Ndamukong Suh 6'4 307
Suh's real good. You can be small at DT and be real good, but right next to Suh is Corey Williams, 6-4, 320#. I'm just saying, the beefy boy beside him might be helping him out a bit.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I've been watching several Dallas games from 2010. They lined Spears up in the 5 tech many times. I'm not sure how many times, or how often, but the same can be said of Mario here. He wasn't always lined up outside. Sometimes..... many times, he played the 4.

Like he would in a 3-4.

Also, in passing situations, Ware would play the 5 tech with his hand down. Most of my recollection, Spears would move in to the 4, but there were times when he was also playing outside, on the other side.

Alot of what Dallas was doing, was playing a 3 man front lined up the exact same way Mario, Amobi, & Cody would line up. We would have Antonio, Barwin, or Anderson playing on the weakside, where they would have Ware.

Dallas would almost always have 3 Down linemen, unlike Greenbay or New York who would pull a lineman to add an extra DB. Dallas would take a LB off the field.

If Wade sticks to that formula (which I don't know that he would. I would think personnel would dictate)... the front seven wouldn't look much different than it does now & Mario wouldn't be asked to do anything he hasn't been doing in the past.

Old 01-26-2011   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

From here, it would be pretty easy to go to the 46(31 if you still believe in Pollard)....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read