Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-03-2011   #301
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 TexansTalk Member Mock Draft (FULL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I hope Ayers is faster than he clocked . Smith is young and gangly . He may be great one day but I'd be leary .

I'd go Watt , Houston , or Kerrigan .
Smith? As in the OT? Who got drafted by the Boys?

Oh you mean Aldon Smith..... I think that is too much of a reach.
Old 03-03-2011   #302
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Smith? As in the OT? Who got drafted by the Boys?
Aldon Smith DE/OLB .
Old 03-03-2011   #303
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 TexansTalk Member Mock Draft (Selection Thread)

With the 11th pick in the 2011 NFL draft the Houston Texans select Prince Amukamara 6'1 205 DB Nebraska

Last edited by Blake; 03-03-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Ndevine7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #304
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57741 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there will be a lot of unhappy campers with the Texans' pick.

I'm not totally against Prince, but I would have gone with Justin Houston.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #305
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

Prince is the bpa imo and this would move quin to S
Old 03-03-2011   #306
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well ... that may fill two positions if Quinn moves to FS . I think there's only two good CBs worth taking this high but there's several guys who could play OLB .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJ...eature=related
Old 03-03-2011   #307
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm far from enamored with Amukamara but understand the selection. I still push extremely hard once the CBA is agreed to, to sign one of the quality free agent CBs. That would give us a #1 (hypothetically Ike Taylor), Prince Amukamara, Kareem Jackson, Glover Quin and Jason Allen. That's a pretty good mixture of DBs in my opinion.

I really want to address the Front 7 with this early pick though. In this situation I'd love to trade down. Maybe San Diego or New England would trade up for JJ Watt.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2011   #308
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Smith pick fills a need, and the guy could be a great one, but to the eye ball he looks more like a TE than a OT. I wonder how he will cope with the size/strength of the NFL.

I'd like to see Mario bullrush him.
REALLY. Sure you want to see that?

Normally he just doesn't get beat. He came out of High School as the top rated linemen in nation. He doesn't have a six pack, he has an eight pack. Guy is cut, cat quick, strong, great measureables- almost 37" arm length & 11" hands. He is smooth & polished in both run blocking or pass protection. Let me put it this way, he has Pro Bowl material, IMO, a better prospect than the #2 overall pick by St. Louis Jason Smith or the #1 overall pick of the Miami Dolphins Jake Long.

The combine answered concerns about his weight for me, listed @ only 280 he carried 307 easily. My guess is his natural NFL playing weight will be close to 315. Only underclassman, age only 20. If teams due their research like myself, Tryon Smith will be the first offensive tackle off the board & well worth Top 10 grade.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #309
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'm far from enamored with Amukamara but understand the selection. I still push extremely hard once the CBA is agreed to, to sign one of the quality free agent CBs. That would give us a #1 (hypothetically Ike Taylor), Prince Amukamara, Kareem Jackson, Glover Quin and Jason Allen. That's a pretty good mixture of DBs in my opinion.

I really want to address the Front 7 with this early pick though. In this situation I'd love to trade down. Maybe San Diego or New England would trade up for JJ Watt.
I'm with you and PN. I don't think we'll go CB in the 1st, but with the CBA uncertainty we might be forced.

I would've taken Houston or Watt, but that's my opinion.
Old 03-03-2011   #310
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57741 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I'm against moving Quin to FS at this point. I don't think he would fail there, but in this league you need as many CBs as you can get (you need 3 solid ones at the least). So it doesn't make sense to me to move our best CB out of the position.

I realize that he would still be in the secondary but his responsibilies would be different.

I would prefer we kept Quin at CB #2, put Jackson in the nickle, and signed a vet to be #1. Then we could try McManis at FS. McManis doesn't have ideal size for the position, but he has natural athleticism and he plays a very smart style of football.

I would even try Jason Allen at FS before I would move Quin.
Old 03-03-2011   #311
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
REALLY. Sure you want to see that?

Normally he just doesn't get beat. He came out of High School as the top rated linemen in nation. He doesn't have a six pack, he has an eight pack. Guy is cut, cat quick, strong, great measureables- almost 37" arm length & 11" hands. He is smooth & polished in both run blocking or pass protection. Let me put it this way, he has Pro Bowl material, IMO, a better prospect than the #2 overall pick by St. Louis Jason Smith or the #1 overall pick of the Miami Dolphins Jake Long....
BL, I'm as high on Smith as anyone. I've had him in my top 25 since way before the combine. But he is no Jake Long, nor will he ever be, imo. Smith will be a very solid pro and will probably make some Pro Bowls, but Long is on his way to being one of the league's elite linemen for years to come.
Old 03-03-2011   #312
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he will be a good one, I am just used to OL looking more like this guy

or

Old 03-03-2011   #313
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Prince, Jackson, Quin is a nice triplet of CBs in a couple of years time.

I would like one of them at FS and maybe Nolan at SS?
Old 03-03-2011   #314
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153128 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Well I'm against moving Quin to FS at this point. I don't think he would fail there, but in this league you need as many CBs as you can get (you need 3 solid ones at the least). So it doesn't make sense to me to move our best CB out of the position.

I realize that he would still be in the secondary but his responsibilies would be different.
I'm a Quin fan. But just because he was our best CB in 2010 (& 2009) doesn't mean that he is the answer at CB. I'd much rather he move to FS..... may be a pro bowler back there. Definitely better than any safety we've had in a while.

Especially with no Laron Landry/Eric Berry in this draft.

Ike Taylor, Jason Allen/Kjac, Amukamara in the nickel at least to start the season may be the best move in the long run.

Quote:
I would prefer we kept Quin at CB #2, put Jackson in the nickle, and signed a vet to be #1. Then we could try McManis at FS. McManis doesn't have ideal size for the position, but he has natural athleticism and he plays a very smart style of football.
Excellent option as well, but I think McManis is a more pure corner than Quin is.

I hope, we don't shy away from FA CBs just because we picked a corner with the #1 overall. I think CB has been a weakness far longer than the Texans (and many here) have been willing to admit. Dunta Robinson (IMO) was good enough for us to ignore the position (like FS) for way too long.

We've had a #2 pretending to be a #1 for so long, that he became our standard.....

Adding two quality CBs and moving Quinn to FS is the right way to go (IMO).
Old 03-03-2011   #315
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Prince Amukamara is a little better than Kareem Jackson in most areas but compare very close, both big physical, downhill corners, should set Texans @ position for a long, long time. Good pick, Ndevine7 - w/high probability of occurring from Texans Rick Smith & Co.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #316
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I like getting quality corners and Price is a very good selection, but I though the major need was at OLB.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #317
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Next question is does JCTexan gamble on one of the not sure thing QBs to take over from Favre?
Old 03-03-2011   #318
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Next question is does JCTexan gamble on one of the not sure thing QBs to take over from Favre?
Joe Webb? I dont think so. Another team that should take a QB even if he does sit the first year.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #319
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 TexansTalk Member Mock Draft (Selection Thread)

With the 12th pick, the Minnesota Vikings select...

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri.

With Favre retiring the Vikings need a QB, and to have the top rated QB (IMO) fall to 12 I had to take him.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #320
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153128 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I like getting quality corners and Price is a very good selection, but I though the major need was at OLB.
There are some better corners (IMO) that should be available to us in the second round. Not the physical guys that Kubiak/Smith like...... Amukamara/Kareem, but more cover type guys.

I think if they are listening to Wade..... maybe we'll go that route.

Then again, Wade did draft Jenkins.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read