Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2011   #1
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Foster, Leach All-Pro

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...-all-pro_N.htm

Joining Brady in the backfield is one of the season's biggest surprises, Houston running back Arian Foster . He went from a nonentity with the Texans to the league's leading rusher with 1,616 yards and 16 TDs. The other tailback is Kansas City's Jamaal Charles , like Foster a first-time choice.

Foster's guide through holes in the line, Vonta Leach , is the fullback, also for the first time.

Old 01-24-2011   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster, Leach All-Pro

Rick Smith's got his work cut out for him.

Not only does he have some serious work to do in free agency to help re-shape this defense, he has to worry about re-signing Pollard, OD, and all-pro Vonta Leach, in addition to avoiding a holdout with all-pro and rushing champ Arian Foster.

Given the precedent he's set in handling contracts, I'm not confident it will go well.

Congrats to Foster and Leach. Much deserved for both.
Old 01-24-2011   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

Not only does he have some serious work to do in free agency to help re-shape this defense, he has to worry about re-signing Pollard, OD, and all-pro Vonta Leach, in addition to avoiding a holdout with all-pro and rushing champ Arian Foster.

Given the precedent he's set in handling contracts, I'm not confident it will go well.

I agree. Although, I wouldn't lump Pollard in with the other 3. He isn't worthy of re-signing, imo.
Old 01-24-2011   #4
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What precedent? Not overpaying for Dunta?

Old 01-24-2011   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats to Foster, and especially my boy Leach.
Old 01-24-2011   #6
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Leach and Foster should be a priority! Owen Daniels will probably demand another huge contract which the Texans won't be able to offer, considering Daniel's extensive history of injuries, and his lack of production on the field this year (mostly due him being out this season).

As for Pollard, I wouldn't mind if Smith doesn't resign him. He's all talk, but rarely backs it up on the field. His atrocious coverage skills gets extremely frustrating, especially with a young/inexperienced like ours which requires a ball-hawking safety.

Congrats to Foster and Leach!
Old 01-24-2011   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Not a bad turnaround for the Texans running game this season...

Rick Dennison deserves a lot of credit for that. Well him and Wade Smith since they were the only additions this season.

I hope that doesn't make the Texans think all they needed to do was hire Wade Phillips and get a mid level free agent in the secondary to receive a similar turnaround for the pass defense...
Old 01-24-2011   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
What precedent? Not overpaying for Dunta?

overpaying? you mean paying the market rate, right?

Smith sucks and I guess its OK to pay big money to losers that you supported for year after year like Carr, huh? you were all too eager to make excuse after excuse even though he has been one of the most overpaid busts this side of JaMarcus Russell.

Smith blew it by not locking up Dunta or at least securing a replacement. Argue about the money all you want, but Smith failed.

And you watch. They will 'overpay' for Foster and then flex their muscles and act like they actually are committed to winning by spending money on guys already on a losing team. God forbid pay for real players that can come in and make a difference.

You make excuse for Carr year after year, but Dunta all of a sudden sucks because he actually earns his money and got what the market got him. Huh, I wonder why? Please go away when its talk about overpaying for people because history has shown you have zero credibility now just like you had zero credibility then.
Old 01-24-2011   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Gratz to Foster and Leach!
Old 01-24-2011   #10
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

Smith sucks and I guess its OK to pay big money to losers that you supported for year after year like Carr, huh? you were all too eager to make excuse after excuse even though he has been one of the most overpaid busts this side of JaMarcus Russell.

Smith blew it by not locking up Dunta or at least securing a replacement. Argue about the money all you want, but Smith failed.

And you watch. They will 'overpay' for Foster and then flex their muscles and act like they actually are committed to winning by spending money on guys already on a losing team. God forbid pay for real players that can come in and make a difference.

You make excuse for Carr year after year, but Dunta all of a sudden sucks because he actually earns his money and got what the market got him. Huh, I wonder why? Please go away when its talk about overpaying for people because history has shown you have zero credibility now just like you had zero credibility then.

Go away?

Exactly what is it you are wondering about?

Dunta wanted more than he was worth. Market value for average cb's isn't the same as market value for the better cb's. Dunta barely qualifies as average. I re-read my original post and I fail to see where I said he sucked.

Do you have a habit of misquoting people? Calls your credibility to question don't you think.

I did support Carr for a long time, but I can admit when I am wrong about something.

So you disagree with two of Smiths contract negotiations. Makes his track record suck as you so eloquently put it?

Still complaining about Carr? Time to move on.

Old 01-25-2011   #11
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to say, I would have never thought in 2008 or even 2009 that we would have even a legit rushing game, let alone an all-pro. Grats on a hell of a season guys.

Now pay them Rick!!
Old 01-25-2011   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Not a bad turnaround for the Texans running game this season...

Rick Dennison deserves a lot of credit for that. Well him and Wade Smith since they were the only additions this season.

I hope that doesn't make the Texans think all they needed to do was hire Wade Phillips and get a mid level free agent in the secondary to receive a similar turnaround for the pass defense...
well dennison, wade smith (a good player in his own right plus the whole addition by subtraction thing of kasey not being in there), briesel (ditto although caldwell isnt as bad) and a healthy myers

Quote:

smh @ this post

smith sucks and you're reasoning being that DC was re-signed? guess what? there may be plenty of reasons hes not a great GM but stuff that happened before he got here is hardly his fault

also when did the market rate for average at best cb's turn into top 5 money cos i misses that. another simple & crazy thought but it just seems like that should be saved for... i dont know- the best cb's or at least one that should at least be described as 'good'. i dont think you'd find many texans or falcons fans who'd describe dunta with that....

and unfortunately FA starts for everybody at the same time so how could smith have 'secured' a replacement. they tried to land a solid cb & prob the best guy available in bodden. it was just too bad that he wanted to stay with the patriots. what could he have done about that?

now next thing.. are you saying arian isnt a 'real' player? i remember you're the guy that reggie bush still so its quite probable we have a different idea on what a real player is. leagues leading rusher & all-pro seems like a guy worth keeping around though. again jmo.

...and just as an overall point, your post has the coherence level of a drunk 8 yr olds posting. you're bitching about giving carr big money cos he sucked (which he did). then you're bitching that they didnt do the same with dunta (who isnt that much better in cb terms at this pt). and you finish by bitching that they're going to give big money to our all-pro rb who led the league in rushing & tds? what was the pt of your post? still cant figure it out. im leaning towards bitching just to ***** though
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I disagree with what our brain trust does at Reliant, but Dunta was no where near good enough to give the jack he got. They should have used that money at other positions, which they didn't, but Dunta being here is the difference in 6-10 and 7-9. He's a joke. And Carr was a mistake, but one you actually can't pin on Rick Smith. Zerokoye, Roidie McCushing, Kareen Jacked-up-feet, you can. Carr, no.
Old 01-25-2011   #14
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Go away?

Exactly what is it you are wondering about?

Dunta wanted more than he was worth. Market value for average cb's isn't the same as market value for the better cb's. Dunta barely qualifies as average. I re-read my original post and I fail to see where I said he sucked.

Do you have a habit of misquoting people? Calls your credibility to question don't you think.

I did support Carr for a long time, but I can admit when I am wrong about something.

So you disagree with two of Smiths contract negotiations. Makes his track record suck as you so eloquently put it?

Still complaining about Carr? Time to move on.

I can't speak for anyone else on the forum but what really bothered me with how Smith dealt with the whole Dunta situation was that he allowed it to become a situation. When compared to other pre-madonnas around the league Dunta doesn't hold a candle. I understand that Smith tried to treat Robinson with respect but he made too many mistakes during the whole process for me to really be able to forgive him.

a.) He told Dunta he wouldn't franchise him, or at least that was the impression Dunta was under. You don't tell a player that, period. Granted he said this before the deal fell through but it still seems ridiculous that he'd tell his recently injured corner (who was the emotional leader of his defense at the time) this when, in reality, franchising him was the best option to help gauge the injury.

b.) Smith made no move to try and trade him after negotiations fell through. Granted, not much would be offered for him but anything to move him before he inevitably became a distraction would be well worth it.

and c.) Not replacing him adequately. I'm not blaming Quin or Jackson for being the starters this season. a second year fourth rounder and a rookie shouldn't be asked to do what they were. especially when Reeves was on the roster at the beginning of the season and was cut for a bunch of unknowns.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #15
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

No AJ..........

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
I can't speak for anyone else on the forum but what really bothered me with how Smith dealt with the whole Dunta situation was that he allowed it to become a situation. When compared to other pre-madonnas around the league Dunta doesn't hold a candle. I understand that Smith tried to treat Robinson with respect but he made too many mistakes during the whole process for me to really be able to forgive him.

a.) He told Dunta he wouldn't franchise him, or at least that was the impression Dunta was under. You don't tell a player that, period. Granted he said this before the deal fell through but it still seems ridiculous that he'd tell his recently injured corner (who was the emotional leader of his defense at the time) this when, in reality, franchising him was the best option to help gauge the injury.

b.) Smith made no move to try and trade him after negotiations fell through. Granted, not much would be offered for him but anything to move him before he inevitably became a distraction would be well worth it.

and c.) Not replacing him adequately. I'm not blaming Quin or Jackson for being the starters this season. a second year fourth rounder and a rookie shouldn't be asked to do what they were. especially when Reeves was on the roster at the beginning of the season and was cut for a bunch of unknowns.
a. We really don't know what was said in private meetings. Dunta said he was promised he would not be franchised. Smith said he told Dunta that he didn't want to franchise him. Who is lying? Maybe both?

b. How do you trade a player that is not under contract?

c. I agree
Old 01-25-2011   #17
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
No AJ..........
That's what I noticed, too. Do the players have to appear in a minimum number of games? I'd definitely say the production that Andre put up this year on a bum ankle for almost all of the season was worthy of a first-team honor.

I agree that Reggie Wayne had another great year, but Roddy White over Andre sticks in my craw. I just keep picturing that awful P.I. he got away with to win the game against the Ravens. Pitiful.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #18
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 118327 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans had a really good offense with a great running game. It happens in that situation from time to time, IMO.
Old 01-27-2011   #19
MeLoveTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 1781 MeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm surprised Norg hasn't shown up in this thread ranting how we should have cut Leach's "scrub ass"
MeLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

How do you go from being a scrub to an All Pro? Beats me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read