Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-24-2011   #41
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Pre-Senior Bowl Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Take it up with Adamjt13, who has been compensatory picks for years with a very high level of accuracy.

There are going to be some very disappointed draftniks around here once the compensatory picks are announced.

Quote:
Houston — The Texans lost only one qualifying player and signed three.
He says the Texans lost only one qualifying player and signed three ..... who were those three ?

Neil Rackers , Rex Grossman and Wade Smith .... ???

Looks like Lucky could be right here .... ugh.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
two of those 2nds Texans still have without trading MW.
Those two 2nd that are the Texans.

Plus the Cards 2nds in 2011 and 2012 and moving from 11 to 5 in the 1st rd for MW.

I'm thinking if MW is unhappy with the switch to the 3-4. It's time to trade him and get something for him. That and the fact that MW gets injured every yr has me thinking it might be best to trade him while his value is high and move on.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #43
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
He says the Texans lost only one qualifying player and signed three ..... who were those three ?

Unfortunately it appears Lucky is right.
Old 01-24-2011   #44
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 59406 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

I think that was for the 2010 draft Corrosion. Check the date of the article.

Quote:
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2009
Old 01-24-2011   #45
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Those two 2nd that are the Texans.

Plus the Cards 2nds in 2011 and 2012 and moving from 11 to 5 in the 1st rd for MW.

I'm thinking if MW is unhappy with the switch to the 3-4. It's time to trade him and get something for him. That and the fact that MW gets injured every yr has me thinking it might be best to trade him while his value is high and move on.
Where did you get that thought from? Maybe he is thrilled that he finally has a true DC that has succeeded in this league as a DC and may come back and set Texans sack records.

There is no way you trade Mario. You need him here to continue building a solid defense!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #46
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
No, the Texans would be getting the Cards (example) 2011 2nd and 2012 2nd like the Falcons deal that we cut for Schaub. We would end up with two 2nd rd picks in 2011 and two 2nd rd picks in 2012. I would consider that fair value for MW.
I'm a "ruhtard".
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #47
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'm a "ruhtard".
Far from it, I enjoy the back and forth draft talk.

I just dont think of MW as highly as most on the MB.

Lack of playing hard every down and his injury history are big turnoffs for me.
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2011   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

1st rd. - Justin Houston, Georgia OLB, 6030 258

Best combination of size, speed & strength projected as a 3-4 as OLB. Texans could trade back to add value/picks but IMO too risky. Vocal leader would bring playmaking, passion & pass rush skill to Texans. Underclassman, selected Walter Camp All-America Second Team, finalist for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Butkus Award and semifinalist for Bednarik Award, All-SEC First Team by Associated Press SEC Coaches, Phil Steele and Rivals.com; Also selected to SouthernPigskin All-SEC Team & the list just goes on.

2nd rd. - Phillip Taylor, Baylor NT, 6040 340

Priority need, Wade Phillips finds the most gifted, nose tackle ready run plugger in middle. Fatique will be his issue as he probably can only maintain two downs a stretch, but Texans are not afraid to use Mitchell or smaller DT in pass rushing situations. Plays with mean streak. Expect them to also address position (along with CB) via FA once Collective Bargining Agreement reached. The combine will be his coming out party, there we'll get up close & personel look, after which he will be consensus #1 NT prospect in 2011 draft. Taxans may feel need to move up to be sure & get him?

3rd rd. Akeem Dent, Georgia ILB, 6010 240

Teammate of Houston, very productive, instinctive with excellent wrap-up technique. Second in the SEC with 122 tackles, including 6.5 for loss. Would jetison makeover of 3-4 LB group, measureables to contribute day one, adds depth while DeMeco rehabs & once inserted next to Houston will be tough to dislodge. Stock moving higher because he can play both schemes 3-4 as well 4-3 won't last until 4th.

4th rd. - Brandon Bair, Oregon 3-4 DE, 6070 275

Developmental 3-4 DE w/frame to fill out, solid technique, high character family man, one of the most underrated DL in draft who projects to fit as DE in a 3-4 5 technique. Not a pass rushing end but can chase down long extended plays because his motor never stops, length adds value with height & long arms obstructing QB passing lanes. Could wind up being the perfect complimet to Mario on the left side.

5th. rd. - Jah Reid, UCF RT, 6080 325

Another developmental pick. With Butler possibly on (UFA) the Texans do not have great depth here. One of the most impressive prospects playing in the East West Shrine game, Jah oozes talent, does not disengage, keeps locked on poor overmatched DE, looks like he could swing to LT if coached up, room to add more bulk & strength.

6th. rd. - Nathan Enderle, Idaho QB, 6050 242

Good NFL size, displays decent accuracy with soft touch, very Schaub'esqe. Foot speed a little slow, not very mobile sometimes late in decision making but hey they're has to be reasons why he's still on the board this late because he does have proto-typical size @ 6050 242. Not thrilled with Dan Orlovsky plus this is his contract year. With everyteam needing QB help felt it resonable to mock him up to 6th rd. reminds me of John Skelton, similar size, drafted by Arizona last year in the 5th rd.

7th. rd. - Josh Thomas, Buffalo CB 5010 196

Hard-nosed defensive back displays leadership, toughness with above average speed (has competed as a sprinter on the UB track & field team). could project to FS, had 5.5 TFL, 2.0 sacks & 8 break-ups. Same school as Packers RB James Starks who was selected in the 6th rd. last year. From Cedar Hills Texas.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #49
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Take it up with Adamjt13, who has been compensatory picks for years with a very high level of accuracy.

There are going to be some very disappointed draftniks around here once the compensatory picks are announced.
Quote:
Lance, let's say the Texans are going to use their first 3 picks on NT, OLB & DB. Based on what you see at this point, what order do you think they will go ? Also, will they get an extra pick for losing Dunta ?

They will probably get a 3rd for Dunta. As for the order, I would say OLB, NT and then safety/CB.
http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba....html#comments

Geez, refresh me what was my original take, per rd. per position? seems like maybe I had it right afterall?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #50
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Geez, refresh me what was my original take, per rd. per position? seems like maybe I had it right afterall?
Thats what they have been saying on the sports radio shows al well.
Old 01-27-2011   #51
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Thats what they have been saying on the sports radio shows al well.
That's because these guys don't know the rules either. Understandable, seeing that some NFL teams haven't figured it out, yet.

Quote:
Some people assume that the teams have been given the rules or even the entire formula and that it remains a secret only to those of us in the general public. However, although some teams probably have much of the formula figured out, it's obvious that many teams do not know how the NFL determines the comp picks. Every year, we see examples of teams hoping to get certain comp picks that they don't end up getting and examples of teams expressing surprise or confusion after the comp picks are awarded.

This year, Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said he expected his team to receive three comp picks. An article on the Falcons' Web site quoted Dimitroff as saying, "That was one of the reasons that we were able to decide on doing that Tony Gonzalez trade, because we knew that we were going to be set up to possibly guard our three compensatory draft picks with some of the free agents we lost. As it stands right now, I’m thinking we possibly will get three compensatory picks, given the play of Domonique Foxworth, Michael Boley and Keith Brooking. Those are the three that I think are going to factor in strongly into our compensatory acquisitions.” In addition, The Atlanta Journal Constitution's D. Orlando Ledbetter reported that Dimitroff said that Mike Peterson would not count as a player signed by the Falcons. When the comp picks were announced, however, the Falcons received only two of them, and Peterson did count in the formula.

On the Jacksonville Jaguars' Web site, senior editor Vic Ketchman reported that Jaguars GM Gene Smith was "hopeful of receiving two" comp picks this year. The Jaguars, who lost three qualifying players and signed two, received only one comp pick.
Here is a surprising quote by one of the better GMS in the NFL, the Pack's Ted Thompson:
Quote:
Packers general manager Ted Thompson wasn’t getting his hopes up, knowing that in past years his mentor, Ron Wolf, would be disappointed with the picks the Packers received.

“A long time ago I decided I wasn’t going to try to predict,” Thompson said. “Ron and I used to try to figure it out and it would wind up making him really mad and me sort of mad. Some people think they have cracked the code, and that’s ok, (but) I don’t have time for that. Somebody will tell us.”

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read