Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-23-2011   #1
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Von Miller, Justin Houston or Brandon Harris?

Alright guys it's time to start shifting our focus away from the 2010 season and now it's time to focus on what to do with our 1st round pick. I have been review film and the question that I have for everyone is if OLB - Von Miller isn't available at #11 who would be your choice? I was watching film on prospects and there are two players that most scouts are starting to move up the 1st round board and they are OLB - Justin Houston {UGA} & CB - Brandon Harris {UM}. I love all 3 prospects but we can only draft one of them and they are all at a position of need please add your thoughts. Justin Houston reminds me of Demarcus Ware & Von Miller is just a Beast and plays a lot like Clay Matthews up in Green Bay and CB - Brandon Harris can flat out cover, I know that this depends on what we do in free agency but give me your thoughts.

Von Millier: 6'3 240 40: 4.60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQII6vrPHE

Justin Houston: 6'3" 260 40: 4.75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR0L2RVId90

Brandon Harris: 5'11 195 40: 4.45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0yjcu9CJvc

Old 01-23-2011   #2
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Von Miller, Justin Houston or Brandon Harris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Alright guys it's time to start shifting our focus away from the 2010 season and now it's time to focus on what to do with our 1st round pick. I have been review film and the question that I have for everyone is if OLB - Von Miller isn't available at #11 who would be your choice? I was watching film on prospects and there are two players that most scouts are starting to move up the 1st round board and they are OLB - Justin Houston {UGA} & CB - Brandon Harris {UM}. I love all 3 prospects but we can only draft one of them and they are all at a position of need please add your thoughts. Justin Houston reminds me of Demarcus Ware & Von Miller is just a Beast and plays a lot like Clay Matthews up in Green Bay and CB - Brandon Harris can flat out cover, I know that this depends on what we do in free agency but give me your thoughts.

Von Millier: 6'3 240 40: 4.60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQII6vrPHE

Justin Houston: 6'3" 260 40: 4.75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR0L2RVId90

Brandon Harris: 5'11 195 40: 4.45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0yjcu9CJvc

Just looking at the videos you posted, I really like Justin Houston. He would make a great OLB in the 3-4.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #3
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

houston is and will be a beast...harris i like if we trade back into the late teens....i like von but he scares me a little. i can't help but think that he reminds me a bit of aaron maybin.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Pollard could do some of the same things as Von Miller?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

There won't be any free agents untill a new CBA has been reached.
Old 01-23-2011   #6
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
There won't be any free agents untill a new CBA has been reached.
???

the new CBA won't affect the draft.
Old 01-23-2011   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Miller if given these choices, trading down to about 20 and taking Houston would be the way to go. If they can find a trading partner.

Aldon Smith is a guy that should be in this conversation though.

That guy has a chance to be a superstar. If he plays to his potential
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2011   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
???

Nope

But it will affect rookie salaries. There's going to be a rookie salary cap.
Old 01-23-2011   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
???

The OP said it depends on which free agents are brought in and we may not know that for awhile.
Old 01-23-2011   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I've got a feeling that Pollard isn't long for Houston.

The S have to be able to cover in Phillips 3-4 scheme. That's not Pollard's strong suit.
Old 01-23-2011   #11
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The OP said it depends on which free agents are brought in and we may not know that for awhile.
gotcha....meh, it's not like we ever make splashes in FA, uncle bob doesn't believe in that....we need to draft the BPA on defense.
Old 01-23-2011   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
gotcha....meh, it's not like we ever make splashes in FA, uncle bob doesn't believe in that....we need to draft the BPA on defense.
Building through the draft for the most part is fine but that does not mean you shouldn't make some big splashes in free agency every once in awhile.
Old 01-23-2011   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Miller if given these choices, trading down to about 20 and taking Houston would be the way to go. If they can find a trading partner.

Aldon Smith is a guy that should be in this conversation though.

That guy has a chance to be a superstar. If he plays to his potential
Aldon scares me, last time Texans drafted for potential, Okoye, he has yet to turn out. Trading down scares me too. guess I'm turning into a big ol' chicken my old age

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Im surprised so many feel this way. Its what I have been thinking for awhile. Houston looks like the safer more reliable pick if we go OLB IMO. I could see us going with him as an ILB as well but am hoping for Casey Mathews late in the draft.
Old 01-23-2011   #15
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

DE - Aldon Smith is a major project IMO I like Houston due to the fact he has played at a high level in the 3-4 & 4-3 and he led the SEC sacks in 2009 and followed DT- Nick Fairly in 2010 as a true 3-4 OLB in the best conference in college football. I think that J. Houston will rise on a lot 3-4 teams boards after they see him in work outs he looks to be a top 15 player when it's all said & done look Demarcus Ware came out of Troy and after his workouts he shot up the boards.
Old 01-23-2011   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston sounds like the safe pick, maybe the smart pick if the Texans go edge-rusher with their first pick but Aldon Smith is tempting, maybe too temping ? But as far as comparing him to Okoye, where's the comparison ? Smith may be a project, but Okoye wasn't thought to be. He was maybe young, but he didn't come out early, he played all years of eligibility.
Okoye just wasn't worthy of the #10 overall, but not necessarily a project because he started from Day 1.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Get Houston in Houston!
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #18
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i would still take Miller at 11 if his there.

but i dont mind the idea of trading down for houston either because then we can get an extra pick (along with our possible compensation pick) and be able to turn over this D in no time.

houston possibly is a safer pick....but is that what we want (safe = mediocre) im not saying houston is mediocre but what i am saying is, that we could take the risk of taking an undersized but potentially explosive player in miller and we could have a great playmaker on our team.

Its what championship teams do, they take sometimes risky players and turn them into gems.

Miller will always be undersized but once he comes into the nfl after a season or 2 he will put on a bit of weight so it isnt as much of a liability.

PS no way would i take harris at 11. We can find a corner in the later rounds.
Everyone was complaining because we had a young secondary so why take another rookie.
I believe we will get a vet CB in free agency that will fill that void.

Secondary is as much as good scheming as good players, wade will turn as around i have faith!

GO TEXANS!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Aldon scares me, last time Texans drafted for potential, Okoye, he has yet to turn out. Trading down scares me too. guess I'm turning into a big ol' chicken my old age
Yeah, I'm a gambler. Smith's a player though.

The thing I want really out of this draft is to fix the secondary.

How long has it been since there has been an above avg S has played for the Texans. Answer? Never.

This crap has to stop.

Gary and Rick have to do a better job. Lord knows they have done a terrible job so far.

Look at Smith's 4 first rd draft picks

1.OyOye = Bust
2. D.Brown= OK
3.Cushing= Who knows
4.K.Jackson= Maybe a nickle CB

Hopefully things will get better. Or atleast Gary will show up at the combine.

Time will tell

I would Love to see Houston on this team. Would you agree that the there will be anabove avg player at # 11? If so, its Smithiaks job to find that guy.

Right now I would trust you to run a draft board better than Smithiak. There's 5 yrs of proof. I would take 5 yrs of your mocks over the 5yrs crap Smithiak have served up on a platter to us. But you and I both know there's alot of political crap that goes on within the Texans management.
Old 01-23-2011   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Shortened to read... Smithiak drafting of defensive players has sucked!

Hopefully with Wade here, Smith wont have the sayso on the defensive picks. And after watching Miller in the bowl game, it would scare me if he were the pick. I don't know about Smith. Any I agree, we have to get some safety help this offseason.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read