Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-23-2011   #41
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I didn't follow the draft hardly back then, but it's kind of weird to take a look back only to see that Phillip Buchanon was drafted at #17 and Ed Reed at #24. Didn't they both go to U of Miami?
Yes. But a higher value is always placed on CB's. Moreso then than now.
Old 01-25-2011   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think you misunderstood what I said.

I didn't say anything about not needing a good defense...I said that I don't think we have to flood our defense with crazy talent.

Yes, the teams with the best defenses usually have the best shot at play-offs and the Super Bowl, but they are not out spending a bunch of money on guys. They draft well and develop talent.

I don't think we need to go crazy in free agency and I don't think we need to get overly aggressive in the draft (trading up)....

Of course we need talent, but not at the expense of all the things that come with making those types of moves.
Expense? Are you talking $$$$? BoB has plenty of $$$$. Dont worry about BoB's $$$$ he's made plenty off this little investment.

You can find a good NT and a CB (better than anything that was on the team last yr.) while over paying a little but not alot. Having to spend in FA is the price you have to pay for having a historically crappy defense last yr.

In the draft it should be about adding 2/3 great players every yr. If you have to trade up to get those guys. That's what they should do. If they want to have the talent to be a great defense.

The main reason I'm advocating moving up in the draft is the draft record of Rick and Gary. They need to move up to lower the risk of drafting a bust/semi bust. (Okoye/D.Brown/Jackson.) The Texans are picking #11. Remember last time Rick/Gary had a pick this high. (OkOye) I dont want to see that again and moving up increases the odds of not screwing up like that again.

I've got very little faith in the Rick/Gary. When it comes to making decisions in the war room. So moving up is the way to go. IMHO

He** getting Gary to go to the combine would be an improvement over last yrs draft season.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011   #43
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

If we decide to trade up in the NFL Draft we need to get OLB Von Miller and after watching the senior bowl practices we might have to trade up to #5 slot just to get him so that means we will have to possibly trade away either next years 1st round pick if we don't want to give up this years 2nd round pick to do it for a guy who might be able to compare to Lawrence Taylor coming off the edge he is that good .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read