Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-20-2011   #21
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade ?

An idea of trading up to draft Peterson is attempting but, we are not one player away from playoffs. We need many players from draft and FA as possible to fill our needs.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #22
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
An idea of trading up to draft Peterson is attempting but, we are not one player away from playoffs. We need many players from draft and FA as possible to fill our needs.
I think we are 3 or 4 quality players away. If there is a FA period before the draft, we can possibly pick up 1 or 2 there. Maybe even 3. Then you can be a bit bolder in the draft war room.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think we are 3 or 4 quality players away. If there is a FA period before the draft, we can possibly pick up 1 or 2 there. Maybe even 3. Then you can be a bit bolder in the draft war room.
Yep

I'm willing to gamble on as sure a thing in this draft as there is. (Peterson)

Then pick up a CB (Bailey and a NT (Franklin) in FA.

If they get lucky they can find an OLB in Rd 3. According to another poster rd1 talent can be found in rd2. Wright for instance is a really good OLB

With these additions added to what is already on this defense. It will be much improved.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans need to land a start in Free agency and in the draft they need to get guys who can consistently contribute from day one and have the potential to be beast.

That said, I would not trade up for any player...Not even Peterson.

If there was ever a draft that we needed to trade down and pick up as many quality players in the first three rounds...it's this one...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #25
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I agree that we are 3-4 good players away from being a good defense, I think the best we can hope for in FA is 1 good/average FA. I think the Texans will never go for an Aso or Bailey level of player and both of these guys will be looking to go to a winning franchise. Bailey is close to the end of his career so he'll want a shot at the Super Bowl and Aso has never been to the playoffs, except his rookie year, and he'll want a shot at a winning organization. The only way we'd stand a chance of getting that level of FA is to grossly over pay for them and they're already going to be expensive. We might have a chance at Joseph, Marshall, or Rodgers. Then the best we could hope for in the draft is 2 defensive starters and Gary doesn't seem to like to give rookies a chance to start unless they're taken in the 1st round.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #26
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The Texans need to land a start in Free agency and in the draft they need to get guys who can consistently contribute from day one and have the potential to be beast.

That said, I would not trade up for any player...Not even Peterson.

If there was ever a draft that we needed to trade down and pick up as many quality players in the first three rounds...it's this one...
How many players do you believe are needed to add to this defense for it to become respectable? 4-5

I would say 2 CB's an OLB a S and a NT

Would you like to get a CB and NT in FA ? That fills 2 holes.

How about getting the best CB in the draft. IMHO This is a good draft for OLB's Carter,Wright and Herzlich are studs and one of them will be available in the 3rd rd.

This is also a fairly deep S draft Sash,Tarrant,Sands,Clifford or Hill should be available in the 4th rd and would be better than anybody the Texans played at S last yr.

The Texans have enough picks to rebuild the defense Smith needs to do a better job of drafting players.

Unless Smith is being held back by some kind of immaginary restrictions that TK in another thread said is being placed on him. Although he cant say who is placing said restrictions on Smith.

I'm willing to take chances to get 2/3 great players every yr in the draft and 2/3 really good players in FA. That's how you build a team that isn't a 7-9,9-7 type team.

If the Texans aren't willing to take chances they will continue along the 7-9,9-7 path that they've been on for the last 5yrs.
Old 01-20-2011   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
While I agree that we are 3-4 good players away from being a good defense, I think the best we can hope for in FA is 1 good/average FA. I think the Texans will never go for an Aso or Bailey level of player and both of these guys will be looking to go to a winning franchise. Bailey is close to the end of his career so he'll want a shot at the Super Bowl and Aso has never been to the playoffs, except his rookie year, and he'll want a shot at a winning organization. The only way we'd stand a chance of getting that level of FA is to grossly over pay for them and they're already going to be expensive. We might have a chance at Joseph, Marshall, or Rodgers. Then the best we could hope for in the draft is 2 defensive starters and Gary doesn't seem to like to give rookies a chance to start unless they're taken in the 1st round.
Disagree

The Texans may have to over pay . But they could add a CB like Ike Taylor and a NT like Franklin or Solari in FA.

Overpaying is the price the Texans will have to pay to make up for poor drafting. If they want to get out of mediocrity.

See my above post for what I would do during the draft. After last yr it's time the Texans used all of their resources. So that the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS never have to sit through another season of having to watch one of the worst defenses in NFL history.
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2011   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

how we can discuss free agency when its frozen until futher notice. lets stay focused on draft prospects & the draft because that is the only thing we know for sure is available to us?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #29
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
how we can discuss free agency when its frozen until futher notice. lets stay focused on draft prospects & the draft because that is the only thing we know for sure is available to us?
Ok, how about a 1st & 3rd this year & a 2nd next year to move up for Peterson with our current roster?
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #30
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Disagree

The Texans may have to over pay . But they could add a CB like Ike Taylor and a NT like Franklin or Solari in FA.

Overpaying is the price the Texans will have to pay to make up for poor drafting. If they want to get out of mediocrity.

See my above post for what I would do during the draft. After last yr it's time the Texans used all of their resources. So that the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS never have to sit through another season of having to watch one of the worst defenses in NFL history.
No actually we agree. The Texans will have to overpay for top of the line FA's and is the price for having drafted terribly for so many years. I just don't think the Texans are will to do it. Bottom Line Bob, doesn't like paying big money to big time FA's when Gary seems to have convinced him that he can build through the draft alone.

As for that Peterson trade idea, that's way to expensive. I like the guy and would trade up for him but that price is to high.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How many players do you believe are needed to add to this defense for it to become respectable? 4-5

How about getting the best CB in the draft. IMHO This is a good draft for OLB's Carter,Wright and Herzlich are studs and one of them will be available in the 3rd rd.

This is also a fairly deep S draft Sash,Tarrant,Sands,Clifford or Hill should be available in the 4th rd and would be better than anybody the Texans played at S last yr.

The Texans have enough picks to rebuild the defense Smith needs to do a better job of drafting players.

Unless Smith is being held back by some kind of immaginary restrictions that TK in another thread said is being placed on him. Although he cant say who is placing said restrictions on Smith.

I'm willing to take chances to get 2/3 great players every yr in the draft and 2/3 really good players in FA. That's how you build a team that isn't a 7-9,9-7 type team.

If the Texans aren't willing to take chances they will continue along the 7-9,9-7 path that they've been on for the last 5yrs.
I don't think we have to flood our defense with crazy talent to become "respectable"...

The DC and not the GM was fired. Not saying Smith did an incredible job, but I think that with a more competent person in charge of the defense, this same personnel plays better.

I can't really count how many players we are away from our goals. I can't quantify that.

They could land a guy like Asmougha at corner back, slide Quinn to FS and platoon Pollard and Nolan at SS....A guy like Jason Allen, or maybe even a Kareem Jackson could play the other corner position and I think our secondary would be pretty good.

One high caliber player could have a big impact on either side of the ball all by themselves.
Old 01-21-2011   #32
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I don't think we have to flood our defense with crazy talent to become "respectable"...

The DC and not the GM was fired. Not saying Smith did an incredible job, but I think that with a more competent person in charge of the defense, this same personnel plays better.

I can't really count how many players we are away from our goals. I can't quantify that.

They could land a guy like Asmougha at corner back, slide Quinn to FS and platoon Pollard and Nolan at SS....A guy like Jason Allen, or maybe even a Kareem Jackson could play the other corner position and I think our secondary would be pretty good.

One high caliber player could have a big impact on either side of the ball all by themselves.
Old 01-22-2011   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

the teams with the best defenses are playing in the AFC/NFC champ game Sunday.

So I dont see any reason not to have (as you put it) acrazy good defense.

I cant believe after seeing the crap defense that was on the field this yr. You wouldn't wish for the best crazy good defense possible next yr.

And that means doing whatever it takes to get one including spending $$$$.
Old 01-22-2011   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
No actually we agree. The Texans will have to overpay for top of the line FA's and is the price for having drafted terribly for so many years. I just don't think the Texans are will to do it. Bottom Line Bob, doesn't like paying big money to big time FA's when Gary seems to have convinced him that he can build through the draft alone.

As for that Peterson trade idea, that's way to expensive. I like the guy and would trade up for him but that price is to high.
Agreed

Except with the last 2 sentences.

Peterson is worth it. IMHO

I'm looking forward to looking back on this topic after next season. Hope you'are too.

This is what makes the draft great.
Old 01-23-2011   #35
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO Peterson is overrated. You dont know how he will handle a position change. I think he will fall further than people think.
Old 01-23-2011   #36
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 41545 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

damn that last meaningless win.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #37
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love too but what about the OLB position do we go hard after OLB-Lamarr Woodley in Free Agency as well if we move up for peterson?
Old 01-23-2011   #38
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 41545 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I would love too but what about the OLB position do we go hard after OLB-Lamarr Woodley in Free Agency as well if we move up for peterson?
with the upcoming CBA we don't know what will happen with free agency, but as of right now he's going to be a restricted FA, if im not mistaken...which means if we sign him (it's going to have to be a monster deal) we'd also have to give up picks, which our 1st would have to be included....we all know uncle bob doesn't like traumatic change.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #39
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
the teams with the best defenses are playing in the AFC/NFC champ game Sunday.

So I dont see any reason not to have (as you put it) acrazy good defense.

I cant believe after seeing the crap defense that was on the field this yr. You wouldn't wish for the best crazy good defense possible next yr.

And that means doing whatever it takes to get one including spending $$$$.

I think you misunderstood what I said.

I didn't say anything about not needing a good defense...I said that I don't think we have to flood our defense with crazy talent.

Yes, the teams with the best defenses usually have the best shot at play-offs and the Super Bowl, but they are not out spending a bunch of money on guys. They draft well and develop talent.

I don't think we need to go crazy in free agency and I don't think we need to get overly aggressive in the draft (trading up)....

Of course we need talent, but not at the expense of all the things that come with making those types of moves.
Old 01-23-2011   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But you wouldn't move up even if you thought Peterson was a Ed Reed type player?
I didn't follow the draft hardly back then, but it's kind of weird to take a look back only to see that Phillip Buchanon was drafted at #17 and Ed Reed at #24. Didn't they both go to U of Miami?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read