Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-20-2011   #1
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trade ?

If Peterson falls to pick #5 or so would you be willing to trade up to get him?

If the Texans were to trade up for Peterson and sign Bailey their secondary would be set for yrs.

CB Bailey,K.Jackson
S,Quin,Peterson

Trading up for Peterson would also give the Texans an elite KR/PR. Adding an elite CB/S and KR/PR would be killing 2 birds with one stone.

How much would you be willing to give up to get Peterson?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90792 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade ?

It could probably be done for our 1st and 2nd. Yeah, I'd do it!
Old 01-20-2011   #3
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8908 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder to trade up 5 spots.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Thats what it would cost.

I wouldnt do it. This defensive overhaul needs all the high picks it can get its hands on. In fact they need to trade down and pick up a 2nd this year.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

No I don't think I would trade up.

I don't like it unless your pretty well set and are looking for a luxury/over the top pick.

We need all the players we can get.
Old 01-20-2011   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

I wouldnt do it. This defensive overhaul needs all the high picks it can get its hands on. In fact they need to trade down and pick up a 2nd this year.
this is exactly my thought too. not only NO, HELL NO!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90792 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

If you truly thought he was a franchise type player you wouldn't do it? What about this years first and next years second?
Old 01-20-2011   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
If you truly thought he was a franchise type player you wouldn't do it? What about this years first and next years second?
long as we're fantasying I would trade our first not once but twice for three second round picks, that would give Wade & Co. four players who could wind up starting in a re-vamped 3-4

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-20-2011   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
long as we're fantasying I would trade our first not once but twice for three second round picks, that would give Wade & Co. four players who could wind up starting in a re-vamped 3-4
But you wouldn't move up even if you thought Peterson was a Ed Reed type player?
Old 01-20-2011   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This draft just has so much defensive talent with all the underclassmen declaring. We could be getting a "1st round grade" type of guy with our 2nd rounder. Our 2nd IMO is worth more this year because of the talent than most other years.

I guess it really depends what our Decision Makers think of the crop of guys ranging from #5-11ish. If they see some special special talents that will likely be available at #11 then I do not make the trade. If they don't think anyone other than Peterson would even be worth the #11 then I'd consider the trade.

That is, they better believe Peterson is the next Troy Polalmalu that can also return kicks/punts if they trade up.

There's just too many unknowns. Would you guys rather have "Troy Polamalu" and no 2nd round pick or "Clay Matthews" and still have our 2nd rounder? The point is, if the Texans think they will be getting a special talent at #11 then the trade won't happen.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #11
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84150 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Throw in Owen Daniels to sweeten the deal.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
But you wouldn't move up even if you thought Peterson was a Ed Reed type player?
I don't believe enough in the Texans current front 7 transitioning to a 3-4 to do it, now if Texans had not flopped or performed so badly this past season & stayed with a 4-3 then I would consider it. But that time has come & gone we now have three glaring needs beside secondary, OLB, NT & 3-4 DE.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-20-2011   #13
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but even Ed Reed wasnt drafted until #24. You are putting alot of eggs into one basket, and if it doesnt pan out that is ALOT of extra money you are talking about.

#5 Eric Berry - Signed a five-year, $60 million contract. The deal contains $34 million guaranteed.

#11 Anthony Davis - Signed a five-year, $26.5 million contract. The deal contains $15.954 million guaranteed.

The Texans didnt trade up to #5 for Sean Taylor. I doubt they trade up for Peterson.
Old 01-20-2011   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Too expensive, imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This defense needs players, Peterson is a great player. Having Bailey and Peterson would give the Texans the best set of CB's they have ever had. It would also help Quins game alot.

If you hated the Texans secondary last yr you should be for this trade.

Sure they need a NT/LB/S/DE., but you can find a NT in the 3rd (Fua,Ellis,Carter,Parker etc...) should be available. If you think you need a LB then trade OkOye and your 4th rd pick to move up to the 3rd rd (Moch,Herzlich,Wright,B.Carter,Foster etc....) should be available.

Then from the 5th rd on you go BPA and hope you hit on a guy or 2.

The Texans should be very aggressive in this yrs draft. Most all of the holes on defense can be filled in this draft. With a little bit of supplement in F.A.

With Smith and Gary's draft record give me the sure thing (Peterson) over what may or may not be there at #11 and a 2nd rd pick. The sad part is this would all be a moot point if the Texans hadn't wom a meaningless game against Jacksonville. (Kubiak's specialty)

The Texans can have a really good young defense if they are willing to spend draft capital/$$$$ to fix it.

History says they wont be willing. But maybe Phillips influence may change the business as usual attitude of the Texans FO. I have my doubts.

For gods sake Kubiak atleast show up to the combine this yr. Even if you pull a Sherman and sleep through it.
Old 01-20-2011   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but even Ed Reed wasnt drafted until #24. You are putting alot of eggs into one basket, and if it doesnt pan out that is ALOT of extra money you are talking about.

#5 Eric Berry - Signed a five-year, $60 million contract. The deal contains $34 million guaranteed.

#11 Anthony Davis - Signed a five-year, $26.5 million contract. The deal contains $15.954 million guaranteed.

The Texans didnt trade up to #5 for Sean Taylor. I doubt they trade up for Peterson.
They should trade up.

This is the reason they wont trade up.

BTW, didn't the Packers trade back into the 1st rd to take Matthews? I believe they had to pay Raji and Matthews 1st rd $$$$ that yr. Didn't the Steelers trade up to pick Polalmalu? The Jets traded for Holmes/Edwards/Cromartie and signed LT,Taylor,Pool in FA. The Bears traded a kings ransom for Cutler and did the same for Peppers in FA.

Now their teams are on the brink of a SB appearences. Motto of the story is you gotta pay to play. If your #1 goal is winning.

Tell me again what did the Texans do in player personel.
Old 01-20-2011   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Too expensive, imo.
This seems to be the theme of the Texans organization.
Old 01-20-2011   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
They should trade up.

This is the reason they wont trade up.

BTW, didn't the Packers trade back into the 1st rd to take Matthews? I believe they had to pay Raji and Matthews 1st rd $$$$ that yr. Didn't the Steelers trade up to pick Polalmalu? The Jets traded for Holmes/Edwards/Cromartie and signed LT,Taylor,Pool in FA. The Bears traded a kings ransom for Cutler and did the same for Peppers in FA.

Now their teams are on the brink of a SB appearences. Motto of the story is you gotta pay to play. If your #1 goal is winning.

Tell me again what did the Texans do in player personel.

Yeah, I think if they were ever going to make a move, this is the year if they think that Peterson is that player. And there appears to be a lot of people that do think he is that player to build your secondary around.
Old 01-20-2011   #19
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The 2011 draft signings will be subject to the new CBA rules. So if rookie payscales are put into place, then all of these players will have no leverage to negotiate any outrageous deals.
Old 01-20-2011   #20
Blake
MMQB

The OP asks what we would be willing to give up to get him. And my answer was nada. It appears that yall would give up alot.

We dont have to agree on everything here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read