Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

David Carr's Future

YodAa

Rookie
Which of these would you prefer for Carr
A. Him play his entire career and retire as a Texan
B. Play tha majority of his career as a Texan and retire some where else
c.Play for the Texans for and be succesful, then leave Texans, and then come back and retire as a Texan
D.Play half of his career as Texan and other half on another team and retire there.

I'm just wondering because the other day I thought of what it would be like to see our very 1st pick go.

TexansTrueFan said:
A. for sure, it seems to me like Carr is the type of player who will start his career somewhere and end it there !

I could also see him up and leaving if we can't get that OL taken care of. . . I don't think anyone wants to take the beating he has for the rest of a career

It will be intresting to see how Carr does. This is his 4th year and I don't know what you guys are planning to do for the O line problems or what you may have already done. Either way this is that year where I think Carr will Explode and show why he was selected #1 overall in the 2002 draft. I always tell fans who are non believers of their QB (not that you guys don't believe in Carr) after three years in the league Brett Favre threw 37 TD's and 39 INT's not the greatest way to start of your career but just look at Favre now.

It will be A if he doesnt get protection from the O line he may retire years before he should have. Thebeating Carr has taken takes years off a QB.its amazing to me that with all the shots he has taken that he hasnt suffered a concussion.

Just ask Stan Humphries about concussions and how they shortened his career. They ended it right after he was starting to really establish himself as a really good QB.

If you look at most of the sacks he has suffered. He makes sure he doesn't take the brunt of the hit and kinda just goes down.

I think Carr will have a fine career, win a couple of Super Bowls and retire as a Texan, having spent his entire career in Houston. :bguitar:
Look for him to light it up as Palmer feeds some more of his playbook to him and we start seeing the offense really gel.

I also think that Carr can have a wonderful career here as a Texan. He does need a good OL and i agree with that. It would be awesome if he would win a few superbowls and just have a great career with the Houston Texans. He has a lot to offer to us.

His O-line will surprise you this season. I look for Carr to throw 25+ TD's and DD to push 2,000 total yds. I would rather see them upgrade at center than tackle. Hard to step up in a concave pocket.

Elite said:
i hope retires after this season and may be then the texans will be able to land a legit QB :)
What are you????? Retarded!!!! Carr will be in the top 5 QB's in the league as soon as we get him some protection. I challenge you to name any QB who would have done a better job behind this O-line!!!! No Tony Banks did not do better than DC so don't even think about it.....

Tony Banks did when he got some PT year before last....but I wouldn't consider him the better QB.

I'd chalk most of it up to experienced NFL QB coming and in keeping it together while young, naive QB struggles in his early days. Banks isn't that bad, and Carr isn't in a position where he needs to worry about being replaced. There is some middle ground but most people want to race to each extreme when it comes to sports opinions I believe.

Elite said:
i hope he retires after this season and may be then the texans will be able to land a legit QB :)
man what are you talking about, carr is our quarterback, there are not many quarterbacks as young as him that carry his potential. he passed for 3500 yards and was second in the league in rushing yards for a qb, he isnt vick when it comes to the run, but the guy can move. and he has a cannon with some accuracy. is he peyton manning at this point? no. but come on, i would take carr over a lot of QB's in the league. he will have a strong future for the organization, and will be leading us for years to come

Carr's gonna be a helluva QB for a lot of years. Joe Montana or John Elway wouldn't have faired any better on an expansion team. I bet he WOULD be comparable to Manning or Brady if he had gone to an established team( As long as that team isn't Detroit, poor Harrington). LOL

We can't be sitting here complaining with only 3 yrs under their belts. Besides, we didn't get a lot of front line, grade A starters in the supplemental draft. Give the front office some time to get better through the draft. I like the direction Houston is heading. I predict Houston over any NFC team in the Super Bowl in 2009(with Houston hosting the BIG GAME)!!!! :bguitar:

Vinny said:
Tony Banks did when he got some PT year before last....but I wouldn't consider him the better QB.

I disagree. Banks did a good job, but the team won those games and IMO Carr would have done as well or better if he had been able to play. The win loss record doesn't entirely go on the QB.

We will never know how Carr would have played in the games he missed but when Banks was in there he produced across the board better than Carr. I don't think that Banks is the better QB but everyone seems to apologize for Carr every time someone brings up a weakness. I think it is ok to be outplayed by your backup at times. I don't know why we should deny it.

PASSING
Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
David Carr 2002 Houston Texans 16 16 444 233 52.5 2592 5.84 81 9 15 76/411 31 5 62.8
Tony Banks 2003 Houston Texans 7 3 102 61 59.8 693 6.79 46 5 3 13/57 9 2 84.3

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1062
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/306268

And you know I certainly believe Carr has things to improve upon. But, when Banks was in there it felt like he was managing someone else's team and JMO but same calls (and frankly it seemed like they dumbed down the offense and it did work well) and performance from the rest of the team Carr would have done as well or better. No facts to hang my hat on, just an observation--right or wrong--and no way to verify. Which is I guess the best kind of opinion--can't be contradicted with facts. :thumbup

Vinny said:
We will never know how Carr would have played in the games he missed but when Banks was in there he produced across the board better than Carr. I don't think that Banks is the better QB but everyone seems to apologize for Carr every time someone brings up a weakness. I think it is ok to be outplayed by your backup at times. I don't know why we should deny it.

PASSING
Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
David Carr 2002 Houston Texans 16 16 444 233 52.5 2592 5.84 81 9 15 76/411 31 5 62.8

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1062
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/306268
You're comparing Carr's 1st year stats with Bank's 2nd year(AS A BACKUP TO CARR)stats. Apples and oranges. And see my earlier post. This is a brand new TEAM, not just QB. Carr did fine then, is doing fine now and will do better in the future. As Texans fans, that's the earliest(in the future) we can expect pro bowls from a lot of our players. I, for one, am glad to be having this discussion about a team from HOUSTON that is NOT the Oilers/Titans(Read any team owned by Bud Adams).
texanpride

No, I'm comparing 2003 stats straight up....I just took the wrong line.

David Carr Houston Texans 12 11 295 167 56.6 2013 6.82 78 9 13 15/90 22 5 69.5

OK...I didn't check...just read the years on the post. Still seems like apples and oranges. Banks has a lot more experience in the pros and was signed for the specific purpose of tutoring Carr while Carr learned on the field. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm very impresses with Carr's accomplishments, considering he is the 1st QB of an expansion team and was a rookie to boot. Anyone have any comparisons to other QB's of expansion teams? I think that might be a better standard to hold Carr to.

Back