Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-19-2011   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mel Kiper 1.0 and McShay 2.0

I think McShay does College Football all season long. He has watched lots of game film, but lacks NFL exposure of Kipper who has his longtime inside sources. The combination of the two would be much improved. Kinda like myself with rmartin65 & badboy when we do our best work

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #22
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Mayock is the best...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #23
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Man.. AJ Green falling out of the top 5? wish we had that no.6 pick back
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Mayock is the best...
can't view youtube @ work will revist @ home. but the problem with Mike is he gets terrible man crushes & cannot be swayed into common sense sometimes, but I really enjoy his work. Did anyone else notice he did the Seahawk Saints playoff game, how refreshing he was & passionate? He makes an excellent color anaylst if lucky enough to catch him next year check it out.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #25
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
This is from another thread where I posted this but this is really off

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...y-Romo-938.ece
Yeah and according to passer rating Cam Newton is the best College passer EVER.

My eyes don't rate him that highly....

Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-20-2011   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mayock is the best...
Yep.

I wish he'd start posting 2011 opinions/mocks?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #27
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mayock is the best...
He is good, but in my opinion,Rick Gosselin is the best.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2011   #28
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see the Titans drafting a 3-4 OLB in their 4-3 defense plus they need a QB I just don't see them drafting Von Miller makes no since now the Dallas Cowboys is different story as the guy opposite Demarcus Ware hasn't lived up to his first round status.
Old 01-23-2011   #29
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I don't see the Titans drafting a 3-4 OLB in their 4-3 defense plus they need a QB I just don't see them drafting Von Miller makes no since now the Dallas Cowboys is different story as the guy opposite Demarcus Ware hasn't lived up to his first round status.
They may bring in Mangini as DC. And he may switch to a 3-4
Old 01-23-2011   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey guys, I haven't paid enough attention to Cam Newton's play; I just wonder how do you guys see it:

What did VY have (at UT) and what kind of potential did people (those who really liked VY as an NFL prospect) saw in him that Newton doesn't have?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #31
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Hey guys, I haven't paid enough attention to Cam Newton's play; I just wonder how do you guys see it:

What did VY have (at UT) and what kind of potential did people (those who really liked VY as an NFL prospect) saw in him that Newton doesn't have?
A position.

Newton will likely have to change positions in the NFL according to some.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #32
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mayock is the best...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
He is good, but in my opinion,Rick Gosselin is the best.
Notice that they both dont post mocks until very late. There is just too much movement right now for anyone to be accurate. Thats why they wait, so they can be much more exact.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #33
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

With VY as will be with Newton, it's the dual threat that people will drool over.

There's not anything that VY had that Newton doesn't have. He has everything that VY had & then some imo. Both are big strong kids whose biggest assets were their legs. Newton also appears to be more of a polished passer (notice i didn't say accomplished passer) coming out of college than VY was from a mechanics standpoint & he also played in a pro-style offense which VY clearly did not. Newton also shined & did what he did in the best conference in america. But you hit the nail on the head with your post....Newton's biggest problem will be that people will look at him & think about VY & his progress as a passer so far. That will cause him to drop unless he shows exceptionally great at his pro day.
Old 01-25-2011   #34
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

he also played in a pro-style offense which VY clearly did not. .

Newton played in far from a pro-style offense...
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #35
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Newton played in far from a pro-style offense...
It was closer to a pro style than VY's.
Old 01-26-2011   #36
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Neither played in a pro style offense. It doesn't really matter who's was less pro style because neither is even close.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With VY as will be with Newton, it's the dual threat that people will drool over.

There's not anything that VY had that Newton doesn't have. He has everything that VY had & then some imo. Both are big strong kids whose biggest assets were their legs. Newton also appears to be more of a polished passer (notice i didn't say accomplished passer) coming out of college than VY was from a mechanics standpoint & he also played in a pro-style offense which VY clearly did not. Newton also shined & did what he did in the best conference in america. But you hit the nail on the head with your post....Newton's biggest problem will be that people will look at him & think about VY & his progress as a passer so far. That will cause him to drop unless he shows exceptionally great at his pro day.
Now that I've have a chance to study his game (instead of casually watching), my humble opinion is with you.

From what I see, Newton is a better pro-prospect that VY or Tebow out of college.

Also, out of the 4 games I study, he was under center 13 times.
(Also, there was a little clip of him out of center for Blinn College).
Those situations showed quite a bit to me.
I'd like to learn a little bit more before coming back to this.

Last edited by 76Texan; 01-27-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2011   #38
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
gus malzahn's offense isn't even close to being a pro offense. most, if not all, of his passing plays this past season were basically designed to be 1 read for cam. there were no progressions.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #39
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
gus malzahn's offense isn't even close to being a pro offense. most, if not all, of his passing plays this past season were basically designed to be 1 read for cam. there were no progressions.
I disagree!
You cannot have a one-read spread offense.

Where did you get that it was designed to be 1-read for cam to begin with?

Now we need to remember, these collegiate QBs (the majprity of them), no matter what offense they are in, seldom can make past the second read.
Old 01-27-2011   #40
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Cam knew exactly where he was going with the ball prior to the play starting at Auburn. The playcalling was extremely orchestrated and precise. He did not have to make any reads at all. Go back and watch when he throws the ball. It's usually off a fake end-around, pump fake here, throw here. Fake hand off, throw here.

He was never required to read a defense.

Both he and Vince were in about as far as you can get from a pro-style offense.

Vince was a much better runner than Cam.
Cam has a better throwing motion, more zip on his passes.

Vince dominated the MNC game.
Cam folded for the most part and let a true freshman lead the way.

That is the main difference. NFL GM's drooled over Vince's ability to lift his play, and the play of his teammates in pressure situations.
Cam fell apart when he was put up against the other top team in the nation, and he looked no where near as dominant.

Th difference between the two starts there.

Also, I always think back to the Run n Shoot days with the Houston Cougars. Fool me once with Andre Ware, fool me again with Klingler....but then the GM's were not going to be fooled again.

They may have been fooled in their eyes into thinking Vince would be a great NFL qb. They see Cam as being Vince part two, so they already know now what that type of guy can or cannot do in the NFL.
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read