Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-19-2011   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mel Kiper 1.0 and McShay 2.0

On ESPN Insider both have their most recent mocks

Kiper has

#8 Titans--Von Miller OLB Texas A&M

#9 Cowboys--Prince Amukamara, CB Nebraska

#11 Texans--Aldon Smith, OLB Missouri

McShay

#8 Titans--Jake Locker QB Washington(reach and he admits it)

#11 Texans--Von Miller OLB Texas A&M

Funny in both Cam Newton goes to Washington at #10
Old 01-19-2011   #2
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mel Kiper 1.0 and McShay 2.0

Would love smith at 11, my only question is why does he have the titans taking miller? They need linebacker help in the worst way but I don't think Miller is really cut out for a 4-3.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
On ESPN Insider both have their most recent mocks

Kiper has

#8 Titans--Von Miller OLB Texas A&M

#11 Texans--Aldon Smith, OLB Missouri

McShay

#8 Titans--Jake Locker QB Washington(reach and he admits it)

#11 Texans--Von Miller OLB Texas A&M

Funny in both Cam Newton goes to Washington at #10
I can't put my finger on these QBs. If I were forced to choose one I would take Gabbert. But I think he very well may be the fourth one taken.

Someone will fall in love with Mallett's arm and take him too early.

Someone will fall in love with Newton's size and physical nature and take him too early.

Someone will fall in love with Locker's athleticism and take him too early.

Nothing really stands out about Gabbert. He is a decent athlete, but not like Newton or Locker. He has a strong arm, but not like Newton or Mallett. He is accurate, but played in a spread system with few downfield throws.

He is solid, but not great. I would have no problem taking him around 20 or so. But I just don't see how any of these guys have a top 10 grade.

If I had to bet money I would say that none of these guys will be a pro bowl caliber QB, and only Gabbert has a shot at being a long time starter.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #4
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Would love smith at 11, my only question is why does he have the titans taking miller? They need linebacker help in the worst way but I don't think Miller is really cut out for a 4-3.
Because he would fit with the Texans, and that's all Bud needs to know.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #5
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of Bud and his ass chapping ways...how bent would Fisher be if Bud made them pick up Newton at #8!
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

and how much does this service cost?

personally, I would like to see Houston to Houston. no offense to Kiper or McShay

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I kind of like Andy Dalton, TCU out of this years QB.

When I've seen him he seems to have good mobility, accuracy and arm strength.

And he is a proven winner.
Old 01-19-2011   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Amukamara gets to 9, I'd be AWFULLY tempted to move up and grab him.
Old 01-19-2011   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I kind of like Andy Dalton, TCU out of this years QB.

When I've seen him he seems to have good mobility, accuracy and arm strength.

And he is a proven winner.
he would be a perfect fit in Dallas, just looks like a Cowboy. Books not closed on Romo but his turnover ratio is disturbing to say least while Dalton is exceptional protecting the ball. could approach Kitna as a rookie but start 3rd on depth chart, if Romo struggles or gets hurt again he could be the future QB of the Dallas Cowboys.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-19-2011   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
If Amukamara gets to 9, I'd be AWFULLY tempted to move up and grab him.
if Texans select another CB in first I'll puke

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-19-2011   #11
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
he would be a perfect fit in Dallas, just looks like a Cowboy. Books not closed on Romo but his turnover ratio is disturbing to say least while Dalton is exceptional protecting the ball. could approach Kitna as a rookie but start 3rd on depth chart, if Romo struggles or gets hurt again he could be the future QB of the Dallas Cowboys.
Yeah, not sure why Romo gets so much love, I see him as being a long way from an elite QB.

What round do you have Dalton pencilled in?

Looking forward to hearing how he goes at Senior Bowl.
Old 01-19-2011   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I can't put my finger on these QBs. If I were forced to choose one I would take Gabbert. But I think he very well may be the fourth one taken.

Someone will fall in love with Newton's size and physical nature and take him too early.

Nothing really stands out about Gabbert. He is a decent athlete, but not like Newton or Locker. He has a strong arm, but not like Newton or Mallett. He is accurate, but played in a spread system with few downfield throws.

He is solid, but not great. I would have no problem taking him around 20 or so. But I just don't see how any of these guys have a top 10 grade.

If I had to bet money I would say that none of these guys will be a pro bowl caliber QB, and only Gabbert has a shot at being a long time starter.
I'd love to show you guys the rest of the draft but I've been pinged before because I can give the site but since everyone can't access it, it is not allowed. I can only give a synopsis

With that said here are the links in case you do pay for it

Kiper

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...erMockDraft1.0

McShay

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...ory?id=6036153

To answer any questions McShay thinks Von Miller is a SAM backer in the 4-3 and an Inside guy in the 3-4. Kiper thinks he can play Titans 4-3 and adjust to game with his athleticism.

Kiper has Gabbert going to Cards at #5 and McShay has him at #3 to Bills.

Quote:
Yeah, not sure why Romo gets so much love, I see him as being a long way from an elite QB.

This is from another thread where I posted this but this is really off

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...y-Romo-938.ece

Quote:
Romo went to the Pro Bowl as a first-year starter with the Cowboys in 2006. He set a franchise record for touchdown passes in 2008 with 36, then established the franchise mark for passing yards in 2009 with 4,483.

Romo finally has thrown the necessary 1,500 passes to qualify for the NFL career passing list and debuts in 2010 as the third most-efficient quarterback in history – ahead of Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Joe Montana and Drew Brees

TOP 10 PASSERS

The top 10 passers in NFL history entering the season. It's based on their efficiency rating (a formula that includes yards, touchdowns, interceptions and completion percentage). A quarterback needs to throw 1,500 career passes to qualify:
Rank, quarterback, Rating
1. Steve Young 96.8
2. Philip Rivers 95.8
3. Tony Romo 95.6
4. Peyton Manning 95.2
5. Kurt Warner 93.7
6. Tom Brady 93.3
7. Joe Montana 92.3
8. Drew Brees 91.9
9. Ben Roethlisberger 91.7
10. Chad Pennington 90.1
Old 01-19-2011   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:

depending on team needs, somwhere in second rd. Dallas should have a clear shot.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-19-2011   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

top 16 draft teams that could use a QB in the first round:

Carolina (2-14)
Buffalo (4-12)
Arizona (5-11)
San Francisco (6-10)
Tennessee (6-10)
Minnesota (6-10)
Jacksonville (8-8)

So you are right, someone will pick them high.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #15
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Where do they have Robert Quinn going?
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Where do they have Robert Quinn going?
Kiper #7 to SF

McShay #6 Cleveland
Old 01-19-2011   #17
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2779 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the first I've heard of this but McShay is saying Von Miller would be great at SAM in a 4-3 or INSIDE in a 3-4. I've always thought of him as an outside 3-4 LB
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Correcto re your analysis of the Kiper pick of Smith - and the answer being I suspect is he doesn't realize there's a difference between a 4-3 & 3-4 OLB.
And on Aldon Smith, from I'm reading that guy has both huge downside & huge upside. He's very young (red-shirt soph) and has injury history, but is a tremendous athlete with real potential to be special. I've never seen him play and I'm looking forward to the Indy combine to get a first-time look-see at him and his stats, which should be impressive.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

McShay is and always has been a moron when it comes to player evaluation. The only reason ESPN keeps pushing him is because he was working for Scout Inc. when they purchased it.

He basically just takes popular opinion of each prospect and where they should go, then slaps it down on a piece of paper, and picks up his paycheck. I can name several guys on this website alone who could give far better analysis than he does if they were given the same resources.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McShay is and always has been a moron when it comes to player evaluation. The only reason ESPN keeps pushing him is because he was working for Scout Inc. when they purchased it.

He basically just takes popular opinion of each prospect and where they should go, then slaps it down on a piece of paper, and picks up his paycheck. I can name several guys on this website alone who could give far better analysis than he does if they were given the same resources.
even with the resources they are limited to .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read