Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ:Wade Phillips' confidence a breath of fresh air

Quote:
There was something very different about the press conference yesterday at Reliant Stadium when new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and Gary Kubiak met with local media.

I wasn't there but I've read the transcript and watched the video.

The difference was we had a coach at the podium speaking (from experience) with authority and confidence.

Yeah, the delivery was 'aw shucks,' (to re-coin an already worn out phrase) but the content seemed more believable than a Frank Bush or Richard Smith introductory presser.
Quote:
We may not have the best head coach in the league, but we have two really good coordinators in Phillips and Kubiak.

Let's hope it works

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...h-of-fresh-air
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #2
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:Wade Phillips' confidence a breath of fresh air

Wade may not be a good head coach, but he's a hell of a Defensive Coordinator!

Now we have a great Offensive Coordinator in Kubiak and DC in Wade, we just need a head coach....................
Old 01-13-2011   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We may not have the best head coach in the league, but we have two really good coordinators in Phillips and Kubiak.
Quote of the week, and worth repeating.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Rep your way.

Reading aj's stuff is like a breath of fresh air every time he posts something.

Every day. I'm beginning to think Wade Phillips as HC isn't such a bad outcome as I had once thought. If it comes down to that.

And it makes me feel that maybe THAT is what McNair is doing: Basically hiring a guy who can push Gary Kubiak to new heights or completely off the edge of that cliff...according to how Kubiak chooses to respond to the challenge.
Old 01-13-2011   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

Now we have a great Offensive Coordinator in Kubiak and DC in Wade, we just need a head coach....................

Not a very good head coach? While I'm not disagreeing with your assertion, I wonder about his winning record % as a head coach.. Too much revisionist history, maybe??... Just sayin'!!
Old 01-14-2011   #6
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice article, only one thing i can't wrap my head around.

"Wade has a tough challenge ahead of him and a long way to go to resurrect the Texans defense, so expecting a major turnaround in a year might be wishful thinking."

Resurrect implies it was at one point living does it not?
Old 01-14-2011   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Rep your way.

Every day. I'm beginning to think Wade Phillips as HC isn't such a bad outcome as I had once thought. If it comes down to that.
And it makes me feel that maybe THAT is what McNair is doing: Basically hiring a guy who can push Gary Kubiak to new heights or completely off the edge of that cliff...according to how Kubiak chooses to respond to the challenge.
That's my take on it as well. In case we stink it up next year on offense, but out D shows clear signs of improving, I could see Kubiak removed and Wade promoted. It would provide the continuality that McNair so cherishes.
Old 01-14-2011   #8
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80316 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that the Texans now have two outstanding coodinators. The only piece missing is a solid head coach. We'll see if it is possible for a NFL team to win with that scenario.

Imagine Cowher as HC with Kubiak and Phillips as coodinators. That would never happen of course.

Quote:
The following teams had the same line of thought at one time ... Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, Atlanta Falcons, and Dallas Cowboys. Fail, Fail, Fail, and Fail. Fail me once shame on you, fail me twice shame on me, fail me 4 times ... OK, we are talking Bob McNair here, it could happen.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
The following teams had the same line of thought at one time ... Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, Atlanta Falcons, and Dallas Cowboys. Fail, Fail, Fail, and Fail. Fail me once shame on you, fail me twice shame on me, fail me 4 times ... OK, we are talking Bob McNair here, it could happen.
Yeah, but you have to factor in how friggin' worn down I am (by all of this).

Being a fan of this team is like watching the movie The Road, over and over again without ceasing. Have you seen that film? That's Texans fans life right there.

I can now actually entertain the idea of pulling the trigger on Wade as HC.
Old 01-14-2011   #10
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

Kind of reminds me of a certain team in 1985 which had a head coach/offensive co-ordinator who knew what he was doing and a defensive co-ordinator who sent his men on the field as if they were going to war. The two men HATED each other with a passion, *BUT working both sides of the coin they lost ONE game that season and went on to win a Superbowl.
I'm just sayin...

*The 'but' is large because I like big 'buts' and I can not lie...some other brothas can deny, but when round things in your face with an itty bitty waist you get sprung!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rep your way.

I'm not saying Wade was great in Dallas, but it sure as hell seems Garrett sabotaged him last year. Once he got the job, Garrett pounded the rock a whole lot. JJ didn't really stop it because Garret is his little protege.
Old 01-14-2011   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Kind of reminds me of a certain team in 1985 which had a head coach/offensive co-ordinator who knew what he was doing and a defensive co-ordinator who sent his men on the field as if they were going to war. The two men HATED each other with a passion, *BUT working both sides of the coin they lost ONE game that season and went on to win a Superbowl.
I'm just sayin...

*The 'but' is large because I like big 'buts' and I can not lie...some other brothas can deny, but when round things in your face with an itty bitty waist you get sprung!
Let's slow down before drawing THOSE comparisons, even in theory.

Till the break. Of. Dawn.
Old 01-14-2011   #13
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let's slow down before drawing THOSE comparisons, even in theory.

Till the break. Of. Dawn.
I'm not sayin'....I'm just sayin'...

...babygotitgoingon!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 01-14-2011   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I'm not saying Wade was great in Dallas, but it sure as hell seems Garrett sabotaged him last year. Once he got the job, Garrett pounded the rock a whole lot. JJ didn't really stop it because Garret is his little protege.
The scuttlebutt back when Garrett was hired was that he was being groomed for the job.

Then the Cowboys start tanking, and fans are all over it--Even saying Garrett is to blame, as well.

Then, like you said, they start playing like world beaters out there for Garrett as HC. LOL. Yeah, it does seem plausible that he was sandbagging it a bit.
Old 01-14-2011   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really excited about Phillips as our DC. I'm of the thinking that Wade is HC of the Defense like many of you and that Kubiak/Smith/McNair should and has/will hand the reigns over to Wade on that side of the ball. I also like what Kubiak has done on the Offensive side and think these two guys and mesh together well and build a really good team.

But I'm kind of confused by some comments. "Kubiak is a good OC." What I hear from lot of people are the complaints about play calling, poor time management, etc. If Kubiak essentially runs the offense right now, how is that going to change if he's the "OC"? I thought we presumed he already was, more or less.

What I do see there being a difference in are personnel pick ups: draft, free agency, etc. I truly want to believe that Kubiak et al will seriously consider Wade's input on a prospect's talent but with Kubiak as HC a lot will still fall under him, as will staff additions.

In any event, I'm more excited about our coaching situation now than I ever have been.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
But I'm kind of confused by some comments. "Kubiak is a good OC." What I hear from lot of people are the complaints about play calling, poor time management, etc. If Kubiak essentially runs the offense right now, how is that going to change if he's the "OC"? I thought we presumed he already was, more or less.
I have nothing bad to say about the offense that Kubiak has created here. For that, he receives 50 gold stars from this fan.

My problem with him stems from what I consider to be a lack of ability to detach from the playcalling duties on game day, as well as what I think is a lack of week-to-week tweaking of the game plan he builds for each Sunday's opponent.

I truly believe that Kubiak is so confident in his system and in his players on offense who run that system, that he thinks his system and his players can beat opponents without having to do any extra work on tweaking the game plan. And the emergence of Arian Foster has only furthered, IMO, this sort of arrogance within Kubiak's mindset.

So it leaves him scrambling all game long, trying to figure out how to adjust to what the opposing defense is doing, and he finds the answer in the second half of games. Instead of having a few backup plans in his back pocket, it appears he's going into each game with a casual, laid back attitude and approach to the game...then the fit hits the shan and we see what happens from there on out.

I just don't think he wants to be the guy I envision a head coach to be: The guy watching the action on the field, evaluating what his players are doing right and what they are doing wrong, watching for patterns on the field and thinking of ways to exploit them, actively coaching up his guys as much as he can. Instead, it seems like he's far away and consumed by playcalling.

Just my two cents.
Old 01-14-2011   #17
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Not a very good head coach? While I'm not disagreeing with your assertion, I wonder about his winning record % as a head coach.. Too much revisionist history, maybe??... Just sayin'!!
Something happens to his players after a while, when he's head coach they just stop playing for him like they should.

I like the guy as a coach myself.
Old 01-14-2011   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have nothing bad to say about the offense that Kubiak has created here. For that, he receives 50 gold stars from this fan.

My problem with him stems from what I consider to be a lack of ability to detach from the playcalling duties on game day, as well as what I think is a lack of week-to-week tweaking of the game plan he builds for each Sunday's opponent.

I truly believe that Kubiak is so confident in his system and in his players on offense who run that system, that he thinks his system and his players can beat opponents without having to do any extra work on tweaking the game plan. And the emergence of Arian Foster has only furthered, IMO, this sort of arrogance within Kubiak's mindset.

So it leaves him scrambling all game long, trying to figure out how to adjust to what the opposing defense is doing, and he finds the answer in the second half of games. Instead of having a few backup plans in his back pocket, it appears he's going into each game with a casual, laid back attitude and approach to the game...then the fit hits the shan and we see what happens from there on out.

I just don't think he wants to be the guy I envision a head coach to be: The guy watching the action on the field, evaluating what his players are doing right and what they are doing wrong, watching for patterns on the field and thinking of ways to exploit them, actively coaching up his guys as much as he can. Instead, it seems like he's far away and consumed by playcalling.

Just my two cents.
That's my point though. People say they want him as an OC, Wade as the DC and a new guy as HC. With the addition of Wade, we're presuming Kubiak will be focusing substantially more on Offense and some STs. So Kubiak won't be spending near as much time trying to patchwork an awful Defense, Wade will. Kubiak will be much more focused on offense (we're assuming). If he's already calling the plays, consumed by them even... I don't see that changing as he spends less time with the D. So how will your (and pretty much everybody's) concerns change? I don't think they will. The only thing I see is Kubiak as OC doing is the exact same thing he is now... with the HC occasionally (possibly) saying No.

I don't disagree with yall one bit, I think that'd be awesome. I just don't think his "issues" on playcalling, gameplanning, time management, all the other faults will disappear. Unless, he was spending so much time with the Defense he hadn't had the time to properly prepare the offense like he would want. Maybe with Kubiak as HC of the Offense and Wade as HC of the Defense, Kubes can spend more time gameplanning the O's stategy? Maybe that's a way he can improve on some of his deficiencies.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #19
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I agree that the Texans now have two outstanding coodinators. The only piece missing is a solid head coach. We'll see if it is possible for a NFL team to win with that scenario.

Imagine Cowher as HC with Kubiak and Phillips as coodinators. That would never happen of course.

That would be too awesome to even contemplate.
Old 01-14-2011   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rep your way.

Don't do that man. That is the same thing that Denver and Buffalo all thought and eventually it led to their demise. He gave them this false hope that he could lead their team by having such success as a DC. He's just not a head coach. Now you are thinking like Mcnair and that can't be good.

Of course Buffalo and Denver also had a tradition of winning before Wade came along and their definition of not getting it done was playoffs but no Superbowl and our definition of not getting it done is no playoffs.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read