Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2011   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I thought Schaub had poor deep ball accuracy?

Quote:
In addition to strong numbers on deep throws down the middle, Matt Schaub had similar success on deep throws to either side of the field. The Texans ranked fourth in completion percentage (48 percent) on deep left throws and third (50) on deep right passes.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-r.../post/14544102

Having a cannon for an arm means nothing in the NFL people.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #2
BorrowMe
Rookie

Rep Power: 316 BorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I thought Schaub had poor deep ball accuracy?

Nobody is denying Matt's deep ball accuracy, it's his arm strength that's lacking.
BorrowMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowMe View Post
Nobody is denying Matt's deep ball accuracy, it's his arm strength that's lacking.
Why is the strength important if the accuracy is there?
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #4
BorrowMe
Rookie

Rep Power: 316 BorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Because you can throw it where you receiver is at but can you throw it hard enough that you hit him in stride?
BorrowMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

You know how many touchdowns we missed out on because his arm wasn't strong enough?

Me niether, but there were more than a few.

Gotta take the good with the bad. If he'd learn to anticipate (or trust) our receivers getting open, he could throw the ball earlier & it would be the same difference. He needs to get the ball ahead of the receivers when they've beat the deep coverage.
Old 01-13-2011   #6
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So what if the receiver could sit on the field, and finish a Vic & Anthony's
steak dinner before the ball comes down. He's still gonna catch it, right?
Old 01-13-2011   #7
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Don't make me go to the footage again.
Old 01-13-2011   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaubs recievers have made him look good on many poor throws down the field this season .... I can think of several where the reciever came back to the ball , slowed to wait for it or simply beat a defender making a catch.

With many of those throws - had they been on target they would have gone for scores rather than just long completions.

What he does is give the reciever a chance to make that play ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Schaubs recievers have made him look good on many poor throws down the field this season .... I can think of several where the reciever came back to the ball , slowed to wait for it or simply beat a defender making a catch.

With many of those throws - had they been on target they would have gone for scores rather than just long completions.

What he does is give the receiver a chance to make that play ....
And that's what you want over the long haul.
Old 01-13-2011   #10
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
And that's what you want over the long haul.
No, Corrosion is correct. You want Schaub to hit the receiver in stride. Many of those huge gains could've been TDs. I can't even think of a play last season twhen Schaub was able to do that. I still believe Schaub played with an injury that the Texans didn't disclose to the public. He simply wasn't the same man from two years ago.

His passes wobbled and fluttered their way to the receivers, which makes him prone to interceptions. Sometimes, you need to sling the ball towards the receiver right before he makes his cut back. Any mistakes and mistiming will result in an interception.
Old 01-13-2011   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

It's pretty amazing that a guy with such a noodle arm who can't hit his receivers in stride and whose balls flutter around asking to be picked off threw for over 4000 yards last year and was 5th in the league at 273 ypg (6th in yards per attempt) and was 9th in the league in interception percentage.

The fact is he did hit a lot of guys in stride which is why you've got guys like OD running through the secondary. And he overthrew some guys. And he underthrew some guys. He threw behind some guys, too. And he had a lot of passes dropped and at the end of the day, he'd thrown for more than 4300 yards in the season which is really, really good.

He's a really, really good QB. He's not perfect. But he's really, really good and very few guys could come in here and do better.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #12
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
So what if the receiver could sit on the field, and finish a Vic & Anthony's
steak dinner before the ball comes down. He's still gonna catch it, right?

If he hits him in stride it's a touchdown, not a long gain..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It's pretty amazing that a guy with such a noodle arm who can't hit his receivers in stride and whose balls flutter around asking to be picked off threw for over 4000 yards last year and was 5th in the league at 273 ypg (6th in yards per attempt) and was 9th in the league in interception percentage.

The fact is he did hit a lot of guys in stride which is why you've got guys like OD running through the secondary. And he overthrew some guys. And he underthrew some guys. He threw behind some guys, too. And he had a lot of passes dropped and at the end of the day, he'd thrown for more than 4300 yards in the season which is really, really good.

He's a really, really good QB. He's not perfect. But he's really, really good and very few guys could come in here and do better.
A lot of it is the scheme, excellent route combinations, and the leagues leading rusher faking like he has the ball. We're talking wide the FUG open. Andre & JJ would be three to five yards ahead of the coverage, they have to slow, stop, or come back to make the catch. Many times they were so wide open, the defense still wasn't able to affect the catch, but they were able to make the tackle.

Of course, some of those combinations had the coverage so far down the field, that OD, Walter, JJ, or Foster could run for twenty or thirty yards before the defense could get back to them.

None of this (in my mind) takes away from Schuab as one of the better QBs in the league. He just has his limitations like all of them, including the greats, the Elites (Manning, Brady, & Brees). Matt doesn't have a big arm..... Big enough maybe, but he definitely leaves points on the table.
Old 01-13-2011   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
A lot of it is the scheme, excellent route combinations, and the leagues leading rusher faking like he has the ball. We're talking wide the FUG open. Andre & JJ would be three to five yards ahead of the coverage, they have to slow, stop, or come back to make the catch. Many times they were so wide open, the defense still wasn't able to affect the catch, but they were able to make the tackle.

Of course, some of those combinations had the coverage so far down the field, that OD, Walter, JJ, or Foster could run for twenty or thirty yards before the defense could get back to them.

None of this (in my mind) takes away from Schuab as one of the better QBs in the league. He just has his limitations like all of them, including the greats, the Elites (Manning, Brady, & Brees). Matt doesn't have a big arm..... Big enough maybe, but he definitely leaves points on the table.
The thing is... having Arian Foster and the ground game really didn't improve things from the passing side as much as I thought it would. Matt's always been good at selling the fakes and even when our running game was crap, his fakes froze guys and caused guys to come open.

I've seen missed throws, guys not hit in stride, guys underthrown, guys overthrown, by every quarterback I've ever seen.

Could Schaub have thrown for more? Did he leave some yards on the field by not making perfect throws? Sure. But so did every QB out there. Even Brady and Manning and especially Brees. None of that matters.

The bottom line is that we have a hellacious passing attack. Can we improve it? Yes. How? By getting WRs that don't drop the ball as much as JJ and KW did this season not by dumping Schaub and drafting a new QB in the first round. (Not that you were suggesting that, TK, but it was suggested in this thread.)
Old 01-13-2011   #15
worldlyman
Veteran

Rep Power: 775 worldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respected

Arm-strength is a nice resource to have but it's not everything. Schaub still has his strengths, like general accuracy. I'm more concerned about Schaub's ability to simply get the ball out quicker than "arm strength" or catching guys in deep stride all the time.

I mean, I'd rather Schaub find ways to get the ball to the receivers than throwing picks...and Matt didn't throw too many of them this year, considering how many times he had to throw.

I wouldn't undestimate Schaub on getting completions either because while AJ is the beast man...it's not like he has Joiner/Jefferson/Chandler/Winslow or Givens/Jeffires/Duncan/Slaughter as a receiving/TE corps overall (especially with OD on the mend).

But arm-strength can be over-rated:
http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/good-art...h-qbs-1161285/
worldlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #16
machineo
Rookie

Rep Power: 233 machineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respected

52% accuracy with the deep ball? That seems about right since he never risks overthrowing a route. An underthrown ball is still catchable, just no YAC. Come on Matt I'd love to see you hit AJ over the shoulder in stride on Finnegan!
machineo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by machineo View Post
52% accuracy with the deep ball? That seems about right since he never risks overthrowing a route. An underthrown ball is still catchable, just no YAC. Come on Matt I'd love to see you hit AJ over the shoulder in stride on Finnegan!
Not on Finnegan but...

Andre's One Handed TD catch against the Titans.

And this was pretty much in stride against the Titans, too.

Not against the Titans, but looks like it's in stride to me.

But, I guess that's just me.
Old 01-14-2011   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Arm-strength is a nice resource to have but it's not everything. Schaub still has his strengths, like general accuracy. I'm more concerned about Schaub's ability to simply get the ball out quicker than "arm strength" or catching guys in deep stride all the time.

I mean, I'd rather Schaub find ways to get the ball to the receivers than throwing picks...and Matt didn't throw too many of them this year, considering how many times he had to throw.

I wouldn't undestimate Schaub on getting completions either because while AJ is the beast man...it's not like he has Joiner/Jefferson/Chandler/Winslow or Givens/Jeffires/Duncan/Slaughter as a receiving/TE corps overall (especially with OD on the mend).

But arm-strength can be over-rated:
http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/good-art...h-qbs-1161285/
I think both sides have their merrit concerning Schaub's ability and limitation.
He's definitely a top ten QBs, IMO.

The thing is, a lot of us were expecting that he would move real close to or even crack into top 5, and that didn't happen.
That may never happen due to some of his limitation!?!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think both sides have their merrit concerning Schaub's ability and limitation.
He's definitely a top ten QBs, IMO.

The thing is, a lot of us were expecting that he would move real close to or even crack into top 5, and that didn't happen.
That may never happen due to some of his limitation!?!
If we start winning and start getting deep into the playoffs, Schaub's ranking will go up.

The thing is that Schaub's "limitations" aren't anything that's holding the Texans back. IMO.
Old 01-14-2011   #20
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If we start winning and start getting deep into the playoffs, Schaub's ranking will go up.

The thing is that Schaub's "limitations" aren't anything that's holding the Texans back. IMO.
I dunno, the longer and more tape people have on Matt the more they'll figure out that..

- we never throw the deep out route.
- sitting on the shorter crossing routes will start to kill us.
- his route progression seems slow

they'll start laying on the short routes and soon enough cover us up. Honestly I think Matt really missed having OD more than anything. That's the one key area that is really hard for teams to want to give up a DB to cover a TE, it's a mismatch either way and hard to account for.

Once we start playing a lot touger defenses we'll find out what Matt is all about, it's not like the AFC south has a ton of great defenses that we play consistently.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read