Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-12-2011   #1
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade Phillips to coach at the East-West Shrine game

Though he's taken the job as the new defensive coordinator for the Texans, Wade Phillips will honor his commitment to the Shrine game and coach the West squad on January 22nd.

I think this is a good thing, as it will allow Phillips to get some hands-on evaluation of some mid-late round defensive prospects. On the West roster, some of the higher rated defensive players include:

Dontay Moch - OLB - Nevada - Undersized DE who projects as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Had an astounding 71 career TFL.

Jeron Johnson - FS - Boise State - 4 year starter and the Broncos leading tackler for the past 3 seasons. Played SS at Boise, but projects to FS in the NFL.

Korey Lindsey - CB - Southern Illinois - Two time FCS All American who totaled 14 career interceptions.

Ian Williams - NT - Notre Dame - 3 year starter for a much improved Fighting Irish defense. A true NT.

Chris Carter - OLB - Fresno State - Played both DE and OLB for the Bulldogs, picking up 11 sacks in his senior season. Projects to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

The last Texans staff to coach an all star game was in Capers & crew in the 2003 Senior Bowl. The Texans drafted 3 players out of that game (Joppru, Wand, and Domanick Davis). Don't be surprised if Phillips and the Texans fall in love with some of these players he's coaching up in the Shrine game.
Old 01-12-2011   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips to coach at the East-West Shrine game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Though he's taken the job as the new defensive coordinator for the Texans, Wade Phillips will honor his commitment to the Shrine game and coach the West squad on January 22nd.

I think this is a good thing, as it will allow Phillips to get some hands-on evaluation of some mid-late round defensive prospects. On the West roster, some of the higher rated defensive players include:

Dontay Moch - OLB - Nevada - Undersized DE who projects as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Had an astounding 71 career TFL.

Jeron Johnson - FS - Boise State - 4 year starter and the Broncos leading tackler for the past 3 seasons. Played SS at Boise, but projects to FS in the NFL.

Korey Lindsey - CB - Southern Illinois - Two time FCS All American who totaled 14 career interceptions.

Ian Williams - NT - Notre Dame - 3 year starter for a much improved Fighting Irish defense. A true NT.

Chris Carter - OLB - Fresno State - Played both DE and OLB for the Bulldogs, picking up 11 sacks in his senior season. Projects to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

The last Texans staff to coach an all star game was in Capers & crew in the 2003 Senior Bowl. The Texans drafted 3 players out of that game (Joppru, Wand, and Domanick Davis). Don't be surprised if Phillips and the Texans fall in love with some of these players he's coaching up in the Shrine game.
I agree with you, maybe two or three of those guys you named could become Texans.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That list ..... :Caperspalm:

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #4
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 33666 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
That list ..... :Caperspalm:
to be fair, Joppru's body asploding on him for three years straight was totally unexpected, and Davis getting his Brandon Roy on before Brandon Roy ever did was more on the coaches.

Wand was a whiff through yeah.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #5
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post
to be fair, Joppru's body asploding on him for three years straight was totally unexpected, and Davis getting his Brandon Roy on before Brandon Roy ever did was more on the coaches.

Wand was a whiff through yeah.
I agree. Joppru was totally unpredictable, and no one can deny that when DD/DW was able to play he was great.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #6
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Joppru was unlucky. Can't faulot Capers there.

DD was a 3rd down back who became our primary RB and surpassed all expectations. A good pick if you ask me.

Wand...Yeah. That was awful.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

This can only be a good thing.

This team needs to get serious about finding an answer at DT and safety. I've said a few times before and will probably say again, the point of 3/4 Defense is having 4 good linebackers. Ryans off an achilles injury and Cushing off the OJ is pretty much like having 4 good linebackers. Oh and Barwin becoming what he should've been in the first place off a broken ankle himself. Grand. And no DT. And no FS. Oh and how about the "situation" at corner?

We don't need Wade Phillips. We need Jesus Christ.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2011   #8
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

You think they'll be watching Ian Williams closely????
Old 01-17-2011   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Cameron Jordan is another player they will look closely at.
Old 01-18-2011   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

This Dontay Moch out of Nevada is one of the more highly hyped defensive players in this draft, and I'm seeing a lot of analysts say he's a classic -
that is a classic workout warrior who is a total zero in the department of football instincts. Me ? I have no idea, so he's one guy I'm gonna be watching closely.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78127 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
This Dontay Moch out of Nevada is one of the more highly hyped defensive players in this draft, and I'm seeing a lot of analysts say he's a classic -
that is a classic workout warrior who is a total zero in the department of football instincts. Me ? I have no idea, so he's one guy I'm gonna be watching closely.
Moch is one of those guys that put up great numbers in college, but some scouts are concerned that he won't do the same in the NFL.

He played in the WAC and went up against probably zero future NFL linemen. I've read in some places that he might run in the 4.3s at the combine.

I haven't really scouted him personally. The only game of his I watched was against Boise St. He got an assist on a sack, but that is really all he did the whole game. He seems entirely dependent on beating the OT to the edge. And if he doesn't then the play is over for him.

I've only seen him once though.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #12
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 9100 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Marvin Austin is in the E/W Shrine game, but i believe he projects to a 4/3 DT more so than a 3/4 DT? Or could he be a Ratliff Candidate?
Old 01-18-2011   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-network/78934

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Moch is one of those guys that put up great numbers in college, but some scouts are concerned that he won't do the same in the NFL.

He played in the WAC and went up against probably zero future NFL linemen. I've read in some places that he might run in the 4.3s at the combine.

I haven't really scouted him personally. The only game of his I watched was against Boise St. He got an assist on a sack, but that is really all he did the whole game. He seems entirely dependent on beating the OT to the edge. And if he doesn't then the play is over for him.

I've only seen him once though.
That sounds about right from what I have seen on him. If he cant beat the OL with speed to the outside, he cant get to the QB. He has no instincts whatsoever against the run, and I shudder to think about him in pass coverage. Still, his physical attributes are worth drafting in the middle rounds. Unfortunately, someone will fall in love with the measurables and take him well before then.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This Dontay Moch out of Nevada is one of the more highly hyped defensive players in this draft...
Moch was very productive in college as a DE. But, he measured at 6'1" 229 lbs at the Shrine game. And that's undersized for even a 3-4 OLB. Size will be the biggest knock on Moch come draft day.
Old 01-20-2011   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Moch was very productive in college as a DE. But, he measured at 6'1" 229 lbs at the Shrine game. And that's undersized for even a 3-4 OLB. Size will be the biggest knock on Moch come draft day.
Not LB but strong-safety size, right ? And look for Von Miller to come in at the same kind of weight/dimensions when he reports for the Senior Bowl next week and the Indy Combine next month.
Old 01-20-2011   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I agree with you, maybe two or three of those guys you named could become Texans.
No doubt. Wade will pick at least one guy from this game that he MUST have. Whether it be Moch, Winterswyk or one of the DT's.

Also I do not see Ian Williams listed on the roster. I think he is playing the senior bowl.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Miami (FL) defensive back Demarcus Van Dyke- Houston Texans
%%
Fresno State outside linebacker Chris Carter- Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Houston Texans
http://www.catscratchreader.com/2011...st-shrine-game
&&
According to this article, these are 2 guys the Texans have talked at the E-W practices this week.
A lot of this is story is about Marvin Austin, NC DT.
Old 01-20-2011   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Miami (FL) defensive back Demarcus Van Dyke- Houston Texans
%%
Fresno State outside linebacker Chris Carter- Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Houston Texans
http://www.catscratchreader.com/2011...st-shrine-game
&&
According to this article, these are 2 guys the Texans have talked at the E-W practices this week.
A lot of this is story is about Marvin Austin, NC DT.
They spoke with Van Dyke to get the scoop on Brandon Harris.

They spoke with Carter to poke fun at his school for having Carr as their QB.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
They spoke with Van Dyke to get the scoop on Brandon Harris.

They spoke with Carter to poke fun at his school for having Carr as their QB.
Thanks S-M, your insight is invaluable to all of us I'm sure.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read