Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-11-2011   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Players on my radar

OK, so I'm late to checking out college players who can be prospects for the Texans, I thought I start this thread so I can ask for more opinions about some players who enters my radar as I catch up with it all.

Some of them have already been mentioned by some:
- CB Janoris Jenkins (Fla) whom I heard is returning to school
- FS Rahim Moore whom I also like, maybe we can trade down to get him in the last third of the first round? (I've only seen him in one game, but it looks like he knows what he's doing out there.)
- OLB Von Miller (also just one game, will need to watch more of him)
- and others...

So what are your thoughts about Eric Hagg (6'2-210) of Nebraska?
It looks to me like he played more at WILL than at SS.
What round do you think he might be drafted in?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Players on my radar

I heard that Robert Sands (SS, W. Va) is entering the draft and some scouts have him in the top 3 safeties for this year.
Your thought? I have only watched him play once.

He's All Big East at one of the safety spot, while Dom Decicco (Pitts) took the other spot.
I just watch Pitts against Kentucky in one of the bowl games, and I kinda like him as well.
He actually played at WILL just like Hagg (and Herzlich - from BC - whom I liked since his soph season.)
DeCicco is about 6'3 - 230 lbs.
He played SS and was 2nd-team All Big East last year.
Including this year, he totalled 12 INTS for his career.
His speed is reported to be somewhere between 4.55 and 4.70
I saw some websites rated him a 7th rounder.
(I would take him there in a heartbeat).
Whatchathink?
Old 01-11-2011   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think that SS is one of our biggest needs.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Also, I just notice that two Pitts players have declared:
WR Jon Baldwin, RB Dion Lewis.
Lewis was All Big-East as a Freshman last year but didn't gather any honor this year.

I need to wacth more of Baldwin, but Lewis I really like.
I think he can have a good future in the NFL.

And what about Greg Romeous, the Pitts DE that was highly regarded last year.
He got injured this year so I imagine his draft stock will drop quite a bit.

Any thought on these guys and in what round they might land?
Old 01-11-2011   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
That's why I only mentioned DeCicco if he's there in the late round.

As fas as Sands, I want to watch more of him.
If I believe he can be better than Nolan, I wouldn't mind them taking him in the third round.
(That means, if the Texans believe that he can be better than Nolan.)

I certainly hope that Pollard's down year was due to being overloading by Bush's scheme.
Maybe we can resign him for "cheap".
I like what he brings to the football field, but his coverage was really lacking.
Old 01-12-2011   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok. Lot's of good stuff mentioned. Glad to see some new names being thrown out and new curiosity showing up as well.

For starters, I don't think we need a SS in the draft. Actually, I don't trust our FO to draft a SS. I believe our last attempt was the trash that was Barber. I actually think Polard will be a perfect SS in the 3-4. He will be asked to walk up as a LB more often and will often be used as a blitzer as opposed to coverage. However, this is why a true FS is crucial. When Polard is "in the box" or comes on a blitz, in a base set we will be left with 3 DB. The point is to get to the QB, but we need a true FS for that type of call to be effective.

I like Baldwin a lot as a player. I think he's another Boldin. I think he'll be a player in this league. Late first-mid second.

In the one mock I've done so far this year, I had us picking up Romeous later in the draft. His stock has taken a big hit this year, and I think he's dropped 3 rounds at the moment. We'll see if he can make that up on the post season circuit I like him though, and he'll be someone to watch going forward.

I'm not sold on Miller. I know most on this board seem to be, but I'm just not there. Maybe I'll turn that corner with him, but right now, I don't think he's a player.
Old 01-13-2011   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Some of them have already been mentioned by some:
- CB Janoris Jenkins (Fla) whom I heard is returning to school
Looks to be returning as you mentioned.

Quote:
FS Rahim Moore whom I also like, maybe we can trade down to get him in the last third of the first round? (I've only seen him in one game, but it looks like he knows what he's doing out there.)
- OLB Von Miller (also just one game, will need to watch more of him)
- and others...
I am in the same boat with Rahim. Will have to research him to gather enough info to make an informed decision on him. I like Von though. At this moment I think 11 is high for Von. I feel that he would have trouble at the point of attack. But he is quick and can drop into coverage. I would take Akeem Ayers over Miller at this point. Ayers is a do it all linebacker for sure.

Quote:
So what are your thoughts about Eric Hagg (6'2-210) of Nebraska?
It looks to me like he played more at WILL than at SS.
What round do you think he might be drafted in?
Hagg right now to me is a late day 2 draft pick. Probably have to use a 5 or 6 on him. Should be able to play either safety position. But I am more interested in taking a starting FS in the top 3 rounds. So Hagg would just be icing on the cake.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2011   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Remember pending the new CBA Pollard might be an UFA.
Old 01-13-2011   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Remember pending the new CBA Pollard might be an UFA.
Yeah, and might not be brought back even if he's not. But I still don't think that SS is one of our biggest needs. I think Nolan or Barber can be a decent SS.
Brain Cushing
Old 01-14-2011   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, and might not be brought back even if he's not. But I still don't think that SS is one of our biggest needs. I think Nolan or Barber can be a decent SS.
Barber, IMO, is at most a mediocre SS.
Nolan hasn't changed much from what I saw in college.
Inconsistent in his reads, that is.
When I made the thread on his performance in college, I stated that I like him and I think that he has a chance (between decent to outside) to play on Sunday.
He has yet to solidify that position.
So, yes, if Sands is available in the third round, I'd like for us to take him.

If I could, I'd like to go all defense and special team in this draft, except maybe the 7th round.

NT
FS
CB (if we do not resign Allen), otherwise SS here
SS (or CB with speed to return kick if we resign Allen)
WR with speed to return kick (whether Holliday returns or not)
Punter (if they think kid from Nebraska will last this long, otherwise move up a round)
Kubiak's toy
Old 01-14-2011   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

I am in the same boat with Rahim. Will have to research him to gather enough info to make an informed decision on him. I like Von though. At this moment I think 11 is high for Von. I feel that he would have trouble at the point of attack. But he is quick and can drop into coverage. I would take Akeem Ayers over Miller at this point. Ayers is a do it all linebacker for sure.

Hagg right now to me is a late day 2 draft pick. Probably have to use a 5 or 6 on him. Should be able to play either safety position. But I am more interested in taking a starting FS in the top 3 rounds. So Hagg would just be icing on the cake.
I can totally go with this.
Old 01-14-2011   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Ok. Lot's of good stuff mentioned. Glad to see some new names being thrown out and new curiosity showing up as well.

For starters, I don't think we need a SS in the draft. Actually, I don't trust our FO to draft a SS. I believe our last attempt was the trash that was Barber. I actually think Polard will be a perfect SS in the 3-4. He will be asked to walk up as a LB more often and will often be used as a blitzer as opposed to coverage. However, this is why a true FS is crucial. When Polard is "in the box" or comes on a blitz, in a base set we will be left with 3 DB. The point is to get to the QB, but we need a true FS for that type of call to be effective.

I like Baldwin a lot as a player. I think he's another Boldin. I think he'll be a player in this league. Late first-mid second.

In the one mock I've done so far this year, I had us picking up Romeous later in the draft. His stock has taken a big hit this year, and I think he's dropped 3 rounds at the moment. We'll see if he can make that up on the post season circuit I like him though, and he'll be someone to watch going forward.

I'm not sold on Miller. I know most on this board seem to be, but I'm just not there. Maybe I'll turn that corner with him, but right now, I don't think he's a player.
I'm just throwing out names here as I watch a game here and there.
Romeous would be nice value if he stays off the radar a bit.

I like Baldwin, but don't think the Texans will draft a receiver that high.

In the 3-4, I don't think Pollard has a place in the front 7.
He'd just better learn to recognize patterns and his keys better, that's all.
It would be such a waste to see him go.
Old 01-14-2011   #13
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't we have an extra pick for Dunta?
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #14
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

We should get a pick for Dunta, but we will have to wait until compensatory picks are announced. I'm hoping for a third but I'm unclear on how the pick is determined.

With regards to Pollard, there was an article discussing Wade's version of the 3-4 (either on here or the other MB) stating that the coverage ability of the SS was very important to the schemes they run. If this is the case I don't think Pollard will be back.

Players on my radar:

1st
Prince Amukamara
Stephen Paea
Von Miller
Robert Quinn
Ryan Kerrigan
JJ Watt
Cameron Jordan

2nd
Dontay Moch
Jeremy Beal
Jerrell Powe
Mason Foster
Jimmy Smith
Greg Jones
Amhad Black
Tyler Sash

3rd
Tank Carder
Sam Acho
Deunta Williams
Quan Sturdivant
Aaron Williams
Kendrick Ellis
Quinton Carter

If we get a compensatory pick in the third, then I'd love to grab Dalton or McElroy or another young QB to groom. I really like what I saw out of Dalton the couple times I've seen him play.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Mark Barron S from Alabama was on my radar.

He's returning to Alabama for his senior season.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

In a perfect world the Texans sign Bailey in FA

Then trade down and draft Harris or Aaron Williams and Black falls to the 4th rd.

CB's Bailey,Harris, Nickle Jackson

FS Quin,Nolan

SS Black (the SS needs to be able to cover the slot WR and TE) Hagg in the 6/7th.

This would be the best group of DB's in Texans history.

Then you could add a big NT,and a couple of LB's in the 3rd and with the trade down extra pick.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #17
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

justin houston from georgia...he's going rocket up draft boards.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Robert Sands, FS, West Virginia 6-5 220 ballhawk. Should be available to Texans with 2nd rd. pick. just want solid combine numbers don't need him to break-out & draw too much attention, Texans have needed a FS since day one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0o1xMWqCow

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011   #19
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10016 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think SS is a big need with Pollard being the Texans OU Roy Williams
Old 01-16-2011   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I think SS is a big need with Pollard being the Texans OU Roy Williams
I think Nolan can be a good SS. And I think we have bigger needs.
Brain Cushing

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read