Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-14-2011   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Post Bowl Game Mock

Kuechly isn't a freak like Cushing or Matthews.
He's not very fast; he's not very quick, he's not very strong.
What he does very well is to read his keys and diagnose the plays.
(Not a 100%, but I'd say close to 95%).
So, for example, when he notices the linemen firing out to run block, he would be ready to flow where the double team is (most likely, that would be the POA).
If the tackle can take on the double team, he has got a free gap to shoot.
If one of the O-linemen were able to release to the next level, Kuechly can slip of his block with high efficiency.

He's not strong like Sharpton to shed of the block and engage, but he uses his hands, arms, legs, his whole body very well to slip of the block. You don't see the O-lineman holding on to him for long.
This is the other thing that he does very well.

When a lineman pulls, he knows where the run goes.
He can see the draw play coming as to how the linemen block (he can make out their best disguise.)
He understand when and how a reverse maybe coming.
He hardly ever bite on a play fake.

Basically, he's a very smart and disciplined player.
Because of that, he also drops into coverage very well.
This is one of the two type of players that I like. (Kareem Jackson is in this mold.)

The other type, of course, is the freakish type at their position, like Mario Williams or Andre Johnson.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I've now watched 3 BC games:
VTech and Nevada playing mostly a 3-WR set
NDame playing mostly a single back, 4-WR spread

They put Herzlich on the slot receiver (or the TE that lined up in the slot).
This is the reason why his numbers are down.

As much as the scheme reduces Herzlich's numbers, it gives Kuechly more chances to make a tackle, which he does very well.
The Eagles play a 2-gap defense up front for the most part (which makes sense since they only have 2 LBs to play the run.)
They have 2 Sr DEs that can contain the edge, both on-side and back-side.
In other instances, they can flush the play wide, giving the LB time to pursue.
The NT and UT did a pretty good job holding up the middle (sustaining the double team from time to time).
This helps Kuechly make plays, but of course, he's also a fine player.
Thanks for the reply

I didn't think my eyes were failing me when it came to Keuchly.

If Herzlich fell to the 3rd rd he would be a steal. He's 80% of what he used to be and he would still be better than any LB on the team at covering a TE. Herzlich should be a better player nxt yr, than he was this yr.

In Phillips cover schemes Black may be a better fit than Hill. Although Hill is a good player too. Hill would be the most athletic FS in Texans history. (Coleman was about done when they moved him to FS) That is a sad legacy.

Now that Tyler Sash has declared how do you think he would fit into Phillips scheme?

I really appreciate all of the time that you put into watching film. You would be a better scout than are currently on the Texans staff.

Thanks

Jay
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011   #43
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Thanks for the reply

I didn't think my eyes were failing me when it came to Keuchly.

If Herzlich fell to the 3rd rd he would be a steal. He's 80% of what he used to be and he would still be better than any LB on the team at covering a TE. Herzlich should be a better player nxt yr, than he was this yr.

In Phillips cover schemes Black may be a better fit than Hill. Although Hill is a good player too. Hill would be the most athletic FS in Texans history. (Coleman was about done when they moved him to FS) That is a sad legacy.

Now that Tyler Sash has declared how do you think he would fit into Phillips scheme?

I really appreciate all of the time that you put into watching film. You would be a better scout than are currently on the Texans staff.

Thanks

Jay
I loved to watch Herzlich in his Soph year.
I think he has the combination of smart and skills to play on Sunday.
I've yet to watch all his games this year, so I can't grade him yet.
But if we can pick him up in the third, right now I would have to agree to the term STEAL.

As far as safeties are concerned, again, I just started to study these guys, so I can't be sure as how to rank them yet.
I did watch Sash (E.Wash, Iowa St. and the first quarter of the Az. games - the first 3 weeks).
Just as with the others (Barron, Black, Hagg) there are some things to like and something to guard against.

I watched McDaniel (Clemson) and Johhson (Boise St) last year but haven't seen them this year to chart their progress.

The field is wide open right now.
Also, Robert Sands may find himself playing SS in the NFL.

I will have to come back to Sash later when I have more time.

The last couple of weeks, I've been perusing through Phillips' playbook when he was in Atlanta in 03. He has probably tweaked it some. I have some Cowboys games the last two years that I like to wacth to see how the scheme has evolved.
So much to watch and so little time!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read