Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-10-2011   #1
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What are those weird picture boards all about?

In several college games, I've seen someone on the sidelines holding up a board with 4 or 6 different seemingly random pictures on them. Can someone tell me what these are for? From an announcer, I got the impression that they were used to convey defensive plays, but I'm lost as to how they do this, unless it's something really simple that the other team should be able to decipher just as easily.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What are those weird picture boards all about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
In several college games, I've seen someone on the sidelines holding up a board with 4 or 6 different seemingly random pictures on them. Can someone tell me what these are for? From an announcer, I got the impression that they were used to convey defensive plays, but I'm lost as to how they do this, unless it's something really simple that the other team should be able to decipher just as easily.
Its signals from the sideline. I thought they were generally for the offense. Its a way to call in a play without saying a word. And unless you are in on the gameplan you will have no idea what they represent or mean. Thats as good as I can do without googling it.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011   #3
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw one that had Jim Rome on it, Must have been a roaming play
Old 01-11-2011   #4
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

ESPN had a good article on it, trying to crack the code.

Can't find it at the moment but you might be able to google it up.
kiwitexansfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011   #5
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
ESPN had a good article on it, trying to crack the code.

Can't find it at the moment but you might be able to google it up.
I had spent some time googling before posting, with no luck, but this was the hint I needed. Here is the article, for those interested:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/page2/s...d=5995802&pg=0

Basically, it's an alternative to signal calling. It's probably used in combination with some hand or other signals. Or maybe it's a total distraction. Oregon uses it, and OKState does something similar, but other than that, no one seems to know exactly what it is...
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read