Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2011   #1
Texanator
Rabid Brahma

Rep Power: 984 Texanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McNair quotes

Just when you thought there was a light at the end of the tunnel.
This quote from Uncle Bob......
"And I talk a lot with (Dallas Cowboys owner) Jerry Jones. Jerry and I have a lot of common interests and look things in many ways in very similar ways."

You mess with the Bull, you get the horn!
Texanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair quotes

This is SCAREY! Please take a peak at HoustonFrog's thread (in the NFL forum) on statements from Jerry Jones yesterday, and then see what you think about McNair's quote.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #3
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This is SCAREY! Please take a peak at HoustonFrog's thread (in the NFL forum) on statements from Jerry Jones yesterday, and then see what you think about McNair's quote.
I tried to follow Jerry's diatribe and got a headache.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well the transparent nature of how both of them handled their latest coaching hire sure looked a lot alike.
Old 01-09-2011   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

When history looks back on the 90's Cowboys championships, they see a work created by Jimmy Johnson. That's disturbing to Jerry Jones. If he wins another Lombardi trophy, he wants the world to know who was responsible. That's why Jones wants his fingerprints all over his team and doesn't want a "football guy".

I don't know what Jones is telling McNair, but McNair doesn't seem to be listening. Dallas is on their 4th head coach since the Texans inception. Jones is not afraid of change. McNair is terrified of it.
Old 01-09-2011   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
When history looks back on the 90's Cowboys championships, they see a work created by Jimmy Johnson. That's disturbing to Jerry Jones. If he wins another Lombardi trophy, he wants the world to know who was responsible. That's why Jones wants his fingerprints all over his team and doesn't want a "football guy".

I don't know what Jones is telling McNair, but McNair doesn't seem to be listening. Dallas is on their 4th head coach since the Texans inception. Jones is not afraid of change. McNair is terrified of it.
I'll take McNair and checkered table clothes all day over Jerry Jones and his circus of glamour.
I go back and forth on Kubiak. He does some seriously stupid things, but I would sure hate to lose the offense he's given us. One more chance, if he doesn't improve, give him the boot. By that time, maybe Gruden and/or Cowher will be a little moreinterested in coaching and a little more reasonable at the negotiating table.
Old 01-09-2011   #7
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Read the book "Boys will be boys." It details the Cowboys of the 90s. That entire dynasty was built on the genius of Jimmy Johnson. Johnson was one of the best coaches to every work in football.

As for McNair-Jones, at the very least, Jerry Jones puts winning above all else. McNair does not.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2011   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Read the book "Boys will be boys."
My New Year's resolution is to read 25 books this year. I'll make that one of them.
Old 01-09-2011   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My New Year's resolution is to read 25 books this year. I'll make that one of them.
It's a great book.

A must read even if you're not a Cowgirl fan. I gives you a clue as to the ruthlessness of Jerrah and the mindset of a marketing genius. In that respect BoB and Jerrah have alot in common.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Read the book "Boys will be boys." It details the Cowboys of the 90s. That entire dynasty was built on the genius of Jimmy Johnson. Johnson was one of the best coaches to every work in football.

As for McNair-Jones, at the very least, Jerry Jones puts winning above all else. McNair does not.
I'm not sure I agree with that. IMO, McNair is more interested in building a winner for the long term, not so much for making a knee-jerk, reactionary splash that might or might not result in good things for the franchise. Looking at the Cowgirls since the Texans have been in the league, it's hard to argue that all JJ cares about is winning. He likes headlines at least as much as winning.
Old 01-09-2011   #11
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanator View Post
"And I talk a lot with (Dallas Cowboys owner) Jerry Jones. Jerry and I have a lot of common interests and look things in many ways in very similar ways."
I didn't know McNair was a bar fly ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. IMO, McNair is more interested in building a winner for the long term, not so much for making a knee-jerk, reactionary splash that might or might not result in good things for the franchise. Looking at the Cowgirls since the Texans have been in the league, it's hard to argue that all JJ cares about is winning. He likes headlines at least as much as winning.
I didn't say JJ has made good moves. But his heart is in the right place. Everyone knows that it doesn't take 6 years to turn a team around. But McNair does. That's a problem.

And, I'm tired of the "we are building for the long term" argument, as if Kubiak is some kind of future Bill Belichik. He's not. Using that theory, and considering how long Kubiak had had, he'd better guarantee a Super Bowl win next year. Right?
Old 01-09-2011   #13
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanator View Post
The title should be "McNair QUOTE", only one meaningless quote and no link.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I didn't say JJ has made good moves. But his heart is in the right place. Everyone knows that it doesn't take 6 years to turn a team around. But McNair does. That's a problem.

And, I'm tired of the "we are building for the long term" argument, as if Kubiak is some kind of future Bill Belichik. He's not. Using that theory, and considering how long Kubiak had had, he'd better guarantee a Super Bowl win next year. Right?
I think the Super Bowl is quite a reach, but I'd bet money that it's playoff or bust for Kubiak in '11.
Old 01-09-2011   #15
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think the Super Bowl is quite a reach, but I'd bet money that it's playoff or bust for Kubiak in '11.
No no. No more "just reaching the playoffs" talk. Considering the time given kubiak, a DEEP playoff run - if not a Super Bowl WIN - should be expected.

You can't have it both ways. If we are going to keep giving Kubiak chances, the bar should be raised.

And, wasn't the mantra "playoffs or bust" in 2010?
Old 01-09-2011   #16
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 7608 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wasn't this the mantra last year?

Which makes Kubiak almost Carr-like in that they were both held onto for at least one year too long. I guess that only makes sense when you also consider it's been said Kubiak needed to say he could fix Carr to seal the HC job.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post

Which makes Kubiak almost Carr-like in that they were both held onto for at least one year too long. I guess that only makes sense when you also consider it's been said Kubiak needed to say he could fix Carr to seal the HC job.
The "Bust" part was firing the defensive coordinator.

Not quite the "bust" part that a lot of fans were expecting or wanting.

Before the season started, I thought that Kubiak would keep his job as long as he finished 8-8 or better. Maybe even 7-9.

I didn't think he'd keep it at 6-10 or worse. But I was wrong. I think he would have been fired if more of losses weren't those last second flukes or if the team wasn't at least fighting back.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No no. No more "just reaching the playoffs" talk. Considering the time given kubiak, a DEEP playoff run - if not a Super Bowl WIN - should be expected.

You can't have it both ways. If we are going to keep giving Kubiak chances, the bar should be raised.

And, wasn't the mantra "playoffs or bust" in 2010?
That was the mantra coming from some of the players, evidently not from McNair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post

We can't know that til after the '11 season. I really hope you're wrong on that, though.
Old 01-09-2011   #19
Texanator
Rabid Brahma

Rep Power: 984 Texanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

That's just plain Spooky Cloak. Good post!

Old 01-09-2011   #20
Texanator
Rabid Brahma

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
The title should be "McNair QUOTE", only one meaningless quote and no link.
Here you go IMATEXAN, sorry to so offend you grammatically.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...c-cf5d20a6cd76

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read