Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2011   #1
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade's vision for our defense, as per our current personnel

Essentially, he feels this way about our current players:

Antonio Smith -- DE (DT in nickel packages)
Mario Williams -- DE
Shaun Cody -- NT
Earl Mitchell -- NT

Connor Barwin -- OLB (DE in nickel packages)
DeMeco Ryans -- ILB
Brian Cushing -- ILB/OLB
Mark Anderson -- OLB
Tim Jamison -- OLB

Amobi Okoye -- DT in nickel packages

This was probably the most interesting quote from the article, for me:
Quote:
“Anybody who says the Texans don’t have the players to play on the nose is wrong,” Phillips said. “I’ve only seen them on film, but I think Cody and Mitchell can play on the nose. From what I saw, both of them had good years.

“It helps to have a good player on the nose. Everywhere I’ve gone except Buffalo — where I took Ted Washington with me — they’ve had a player on the roster we turned into a pretty good nose.”
Also, of note, is that we've probably seen the last starting line-up featuring Amobi Okoye. From the sounds of it, if he makes the roster it will be in a situational role.
Old 01-07-2011   #2
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade's vision for our defense, as per our current personnel

Does this mean we'll go after Jason Babin in the offseason? Even trade with Amobi for Babin?
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #3
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tim Jamison and Mark Anderson over Sharpton, Diles, and Adibi? Interesting...
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #4
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

Mario Williams -- DE
Shaun Cody -- NT
Earl Mitchell -- NT *Could play DE in a 3-4 IMO*

DeMeco Ryans -- ILB
Brian Cushing -- ILB/OLB
Mark Anderson -- OLB
Tim Jamison -- OLB

I have no problem with Cody and or Mitchell playing nose tackle, only if they gain some weight (315-lbs should be good enough). Tim Jamison may have to loose some weight and learn some pass-rushing moves, but he should be a solid OLB as he has a non-stop motor.

I would really like to get rid of Amobi Okoye and trade him to a team looking for a young DT to develop in exchange for draft picks or an unknown player we could develop as an OLB.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #5
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

Mario Williams -- DE
Shaun Cody -- NT
Earl Mitchell -- NT

DeMeco Ryans -- ILB
Brian Cushing -- ILB/OLB
Mark Anderson -- OLB
Tim Jamison -- OLB

This was probably the most interesting quote from the article, for me:

Also, of note, is that we've probably seen the last starting line-up featuring Amobi Okoye. From the sounds of it, if he makes the roster it will be in a situational role.
That looks like a most disappointing defensive front.
Old 01-07-2011   #6
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
That looks like a most disappointing defensive front.
If you read deeper into the article, we're not STARTING Jamison or Anderson at OLB. Wade says he wants to try them out at OLB. More likely you'll see:

Mario Williams -- DE
Shaun Cody/Earl Mitchell -- NT

DeMeco Ryans -- ILB
Sharpton/Diles/Adibi -- ILB
Brian Cushing -- OLB

That, to me, looks like a pretty formidable front 7.
Old 01-07-2011   #7
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

He says that but im sure he will try and wheel and deal maybe even get some of his players from Dallas and other places plus the Draft
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2011   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Very interesting. I'm excited about all of this, I really am.

Amobi Okoye - I understand he has underwhelmed us from him being the #10 overall pick but he's not a bad player. Having Okoye as a backup (assuming he fits well in the scheme) would be awesome. Despite what many people think, his contract right now is fairly friendly. And I doubt he'll be getting a huge starter caliber contract when he becomes a FA in 2013. So why not have an above average backup???
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the fact that he has an ACTUAL view on our players already, sounds to me like he has a clear plan and knows exactly what's needed to make it work.

Then again I could be horribly wrong, but until we lose another game I'm high on positivity!
Old 01-07-2011   #10
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

That's a hell of a list in that article of players Wade has coached.

Is it the chicken or the egg?

Did those good players make his system successful,
or did was it his system that was good, and allowed the players to succeed?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #11
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Why am i suddenly reminded of Gary Kubiak assuring Bob McNair he can turn David Carr into a good quarterback so he can get the job?

The vision i really wanna know about from Wade is how he plans to make our secondary respectible.
Old 01-07-2011   #12
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122435 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post

Considering everywhere he went to be the DC had one of the worst defenses in the league and in one year turned them all around in a year says its the system
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #13
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Why am i suddenly reminded of Gary Kubiak assuring Bob McNair he can turn David Carr into a good quarterback so he can get the job?

The vision i really wanna know about from Wade is how he plans to make our secondary respectible.
Carr was NEVER good. We have players on defense that we already KNOW are good (Ryans, Cushing, Williams, Smith, Barwin)

It doesn't matter if it's the chicken or the egg. We have both.
Old 01-07-2011   #14
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Carr was NEVER good. We have players on defense that we already KNOW are good (Ryans, Cushing, Williams, Smith, Barwin)
Thats not the point of the analogy. If Kubiak said he couldnt turn Carr into a solid quarterback lots of people feel he wouldnt have gotten the job.

If Wade Phillips said he couldnt make our players work in a 3-4 defense do you think he would've gotten the job?
Old 01-07-2011   #15
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe the Texans have good 3-4 personnel at DE, OLB & ILB but, we are woefully inept at NT. Anybody remember how the Oilers defense really solidified once they got Curly Culp at NT? To have a good 3-4 defense you need an above average guy at NT. To have an excellent 3-4 defense you need a great guy at NT. We don't have anyone close to that at this point. I would like to think the team would go out and address the situation either thru free agency or draft or both however, nothing about the teams past FA activity suggests they would be a player for an impact NT or an impact FA at any position. Remember, we still have the same guys running our draft & FA. Here is how we might expect this year's draft to look:

1- Best available TE.
2- Best available TE.
3- Best available TE.
4- OG.
5- Kick Returner.
6- DB.
7- QB.

And I'm only using mild

Last edited by maddogmrb; 01-07-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: I wanted to!
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #16
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9715 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pass rush
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #17
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thats not the point of the analogy. If Kubiak said he couldnt turn Carr into a solid quarterback lots of people feel he wouldnt have gotten the job.

If Wade Phillips said he couldnt make our players work in a 3-4 defense do you think he would've gotten the job?
We don't know what was said in the interviews; we can only assume. BUT Wade has experience in the 4-3, 3-4 and 46 defenses. I think if he truly felt we didn't have the personnel for a pure 3-4, he'd be running a 4-3 or hybrid system.
Old 01-07-2011   #18
powda
Hall of Fame

Our front 7 played solid for most of the year. At times the defensive line and linebackers were almost dominant (See - Baltimore blitzs, and mike vick getting his a** kicked by our front 7.)

i understand a pass rush helps the pass defense greatly----------but...

At some point we need corners who can cover. Dont try and talk me into another season of Wilson, Pollard, Quin, Allen, and Jackson. I'm not buying...
Old 01-07-2011   #19
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
I would like to think the team would go out and address the situation either thru free agency or draft or both however, nothing about the teams past FA activity suggests they would be a player for an impact NT or an impact FA at any position. Remember, we still have the same guys running our draft & FA. Here is how we might expect this year's draft to look:
McNair did state that he went with the decision of the defensive coaches in stating that our young secondary could get the job done. Whether he was simply throwing the guys under the bus I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Pass rush
Uh oh...them's fightin' words around here, man!
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #20
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

With Ryans' health in question and Cushing's GAME in question...they really need to find an answer or two in the draft at LB, specifically ILB. Perhaps Anderson or Jamison can fit the bill to bookend Barwin, I mean there's no sense in not trying but really...Cushing is the guy on the other side of Barwin for me, with Ryans (if healthy) and a pickup in the middle. I'd rather find a big, probably slower, powerful LB to take up some of the space Cody/Mitchell won't than another guy like Barwin or Cushing. Regardless of Cushing's positioning or Ryans' health, another LB MUST be acquired. The point of having 4 LBers on the field is that you have 4 good LBers.

Uh.....
Ryans-We'll see I suppose. Achilles injuries don't sound like skipping through a breezy pasture.
Cushing-We need 400 mg's of juice, STAT!
Barwin-Probably fits the OLB passrusher bill. PROBABLY. Probably? Probably.
Diles? Fart. Adibi? Shart. Sharpton?

If 2/3 of your DL is MW and Antonio, probably doin just fine there. Even if Cody is the NT. Yeah, a big fatass would be nice but LBer is hurting for another guy to show up and be an answer, not a question or a liability to cover.

Speaking of liabilities and cover(age)....what about the secondary? You know....the black, vaccumous, swirling hole we get to watch! Do you resign Pollard's all attitude/no skillz? It's nice when it works and it's ****ing horrendous when it doesn't. How about Wilson? If you bring him back please, PLEASE, somebody get the old man a cane. How about these corners? Are any of them worth anything? Quin is but where does he fit in? McCain I could take or leave Faggins v.2....Molden? Seriously, if you pay this guy, pay ME because at the very least I would get hurt trying knock somebody's head off. Or hell, pay me to knock MOLDEN'S head off, then you'll have a reason to cut him that won't make you feel so bad about drafting him.

JASON ALLEN?!?!?! BWAAAhahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah...nice of Wade to line up the front 7 for us, whenever you figure out the rubix cube of a secondary we got goin' here put out another article.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read