Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2011   #1
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario a DE, Cushing could go either way according to Phillips

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7369934.html

"Ends Mario Williams and Antonio Smith will be excited to know that in the Phillips 3-4, they will line up farther outside and have responsibility for only one gap."

“Mario’s powerful,” Phillips said. “He can be a dominant player. I want him to get up the field. He gets good leverage. He’s strong against the run. It’s a matter of helping him, technique-wise, and putting him in position to take advantage of his talent.”

"From watching film, Phillips isn’t sure if Brian Cushing will be more effective inside or outside."

This is pretty much as expected, I still see Cushing finding a home on the INSIDE seeing as, while he can blitz effectively, he isn't a true pass rusher. He would be serviceable at the outside but I think if we find another real threat our pass rush would be legitimate for the first time...... ever. Saying that Brian could play either position also keeps other teams guessing when draft day rolls around. Hopefully no team jumps ahead of us and grabs some OLB we covet at 11. Just my opinion. Also nice to see that Mitchell will get a shot at nose, I think he has a chance to make a name for himself there.
Old 01-07-2011   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario a DE, Cushing could go either way according to Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post

"Ends Mario Williams and Antonio Smith will be excited to know that in the Phillips 3-4, they will line up farther outside and have responsibility for only one gap."

“Mario’s powerful,” Phillips said. “He can be a dominant player. I want him to get up the field. He gets good leverage. He’s strong against the run. It’s a matter of helping him, technique-wise, and putting him in position to take advantage of his talent.”

"From watching film, Phillips isn’t sure if Brian Cushing will be more effective inside or outside."

This is pretty much as expected, I still see Cushing finding a home on the INSIDE seeing as, while he can blitz effectively, he isn't a true pass rusher. He would be serviceable at the outside but I think if we find another real threat our pass rush would be legitimate for the first time...... ever. Saying that Brian could play either position also keeps other teams guessing when draft day rolls around. Hopefully no team jumps ahead of us and grabs some OLB we covet at 11. Just my opinion. Also nice to see that Mitchell will get a shot at nose, I think he has a chance to make a name for himself there.
Im of the opinion that Mitchell is much the same type of player as 0k0ye .... and I really feel like he's better suited as a 34 DE than a DT in any system. Maybe Phillips see's something in him that I dont .... or that he hasnt shown us.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #3
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im of the opinion that Mitchell is much the same type of player as 0k0ye .... and I really feel like he's better suited as a 34 DE than a DT in any system. Maybe Phillips see's something in him that I dont .... or that he hasnt shown us.
I liked what I saw of mitchel towards the end of the year he has consistently gotten better with a coaching staff that his horrible.. He seems to be an antonio smith jr IMHO.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #4
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1892 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is this your opinion based on watching the players and the way they play, or based on what was said about Mitchell when we drafted him?

I'm asking because I am never in a position to really figure out what the DLine is doing or even who is in on a play most of the time, unless they are the one making the play. I know that they touted Mitchell as another Amobi pass-rushing type of tackle but it's not like I can actually tell that without watching game tape (which I don't have).
Old 01-07-2011   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
Is this your opinion based on watching the players and the way they play, or based on what was said about Mitchell when we drafted him?

I'm asking because I am never in a position to really figure out what the DLine is doing or even who is in on a play most of the time, unless they are the one making the play. I know that they touted Mitchell as another Amobi pass-rushing type of tackle but it's not like I can actually tell that without watching game tape (which I don't have).
Earl is a converted TE that switched @ Arizona to DT. The physical pounding @ the nose would wear him down too much as a starter, but he could provide depth. don't see him or Okoye as starting DE caliber they both lack height/measureables, ends should be tall & angular not just strong with good base. think 6-5 290.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

It sure is refreshing to read Wade's quotes! but, it's better to totally ignore McClain's attempts to paraphrase and bridge the quotes. JM clearly has no grasp on what he's talking about. This is twice I have seen McClain write that the Texans will play a 4-3 defense on passing downs. I guarantee you that belief stems from a misunderstanding on his part. Wade's 3-4 is designed to get pressure on the QB and it's weakness is usually vs. the inside run game. McClain would have you believe that we will play Wade's 3-4 on run downs and then transition to the 4-3 on passing downs? that makes no sense!

Notice that Wade compliments Antonio Smith's motor saying that he plays "tough and hard" while he basically says that Mario is strong and talented but is still raw and an underachiever? Here's that quote:

“Mario’s powerful,” He can be a dominant player. I want him to get up the field. He gets good leverage. He’s strong against the run. It’s a matter of helping him, technique-wise, and putting him in position to take advantage of his talent.”

Clearly, Wade has watched tape of the Texans!

Also refreshing is that I already know more about Wade's defensive philosophy than I ever knew about Richard Smith's or Frank Bush's... as much as I wanted to believe otherwise and (at time's) assumed surely couldn't be the case for an NFL coach, I think it's because those guys never had a philosophy-at least not one they could effectively communicate.

It's also nice to hear a Texan coach make astute assessments of Texan players. Man, that's refreshing. Instead of building the defense based on assumptions made two years ago, the guy is looking at tape, studying what the player does and doesn't do, and then trying to figure out how to help him be successful and how the player's talent will be best serve the defense. I AM ON BOARD!!
Old 01-07-2011   #7
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
it sure is refreshing to read wade's quotes!

Also refreshing is that i already know more about wade's defensive philosophy than i ever knew about richard smith's or frank bush's... As much as i wanted to believe otherwise and (at time's) assumed surely couldn't be the case for an nfl coach, i think it's because those guys never had a philosophy-at least not one they could effectively communicate.

It's also nice to hear a texan coach make astute assessments of texan players. Man, that's refreshing. Instead of building the defense based on assumptions made two years ago, the guy is looking at tape, studying what the player does and doesn't do, and then trying to figure out how to help him be successful and how the player's talent will be best serve the defense. I am on board!!
this!!!!!!!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2011   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Phillips likes the front 7 talent

Old 01-07-2011   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Well...hopefully he's right or they bring that white jacket with all the buckles for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It sure is refreshing to read Wade's quotes! but, it's better to totally ignore McClain's attempts to paraphrase and bridge the quotes. JM clearly has no grasp on what he's talking about. This is twice I have seen McClain write that the Texans will play a 4-3 defense on passing downs. I guarantee you that belief stems from a misunderstanding on his part. Wade's 3-4 is designed to get pressure on the QB and it's weakness is usually vs. the inside run game. McClain would have you believe that we will play Wade's 3-4 on run downs and then transition to the 4-3 on passing downs? that makes no sense!
!!
Don't take this as I'm trying to stick up for butterball but surely he meant when they go nickel package they'll have a four man front like always.

It'll be nice if Wade can truly use his players as weapons, as he seems to believe he can.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Earl is a converted TE that switched @ Arizona to DT. The physical pounding @ the nose would wear him down too much as a starter, but he could provide depth. don't see him or Okoye as starting DE caliber they both lack height/measureables, ends should be tall & angular not just strong with good base. think 6-5 290.
I disagree...

The nose tackle doesn't take any more pounding than a DT in a regular 4-3...

People just want big nose tackles because you want them to not give up any ground and make it harder on the O-linemen to get push...

But they do not take any more pounding than any other DT in any other system...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice to see we got a real DC. Hopefully Free Agency works well for us to build this part of the team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dale I think this is something that fans should keep in mind:

Quote:
The Phillips version of the defense is closer to a 4-3 than the traditional 3-4, said the Texans’ new defensive coordinator.
Sure there will be some changes, but I think fans (not you necessarily) need to get the idea of a traditional 3-4 out of their mind.

Wade has said that he wants Mario and Smith to continue to have 1-gap responsibility, and he wants them to play up field and they will be playing wider than traditional 3-4 ends. Also, The Nose tackle in this system will only be responsible for 1-gap...

I think that this bit of information is important to know when discussing personnel and how it fits into Wade's defense.
Old 01-07-2011   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Don't take this as I'm trying to stick up for butterball but surely he meant when they go nickel package they'll have a four man front like always.

It'll be nice if Wade can truly use his players as weapons, as he seems to believe he can.
Yep. The four man rush front from 3-4 teams is pretty normal. Given the nature of football today, there will be games where the 3-4 Texans will spend 55-60 percent of the time in the four man front.
Old 01-07-2011   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I disagree...

The nose tackle doesn't take any more pounding than a DT in a regular 4-3...

People just want big nose tackles because you want them to not give up any ground and make it harder on the O-linemen to get push...

But they do not take any more pounding than any other DT in any other system...
Depends on the gap assignments - think Seth Payne who played a two gap technique in Capers version of the 34. Those guy's take a lot of added wear and tear simply because they are expected to deal with both the center and a guard on every play.

I believe I read that Wade wants to run a 1 gap system with the players we have here. The big question there is do we have the ILB's capable of making it work ? They have to be adept at shedding blocks.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why a defensive player would want to play NT in a 3-4 defense.

Seems like a crappy way to earn a living: Get double-team'd all the time and basically just letting your teammates make the plays.

Agree or disagree?
Old 01-07-2011   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Depends on the gap assignments - think Seth Payne who played a two gap technique in Capers version of the 34. Those guy's take a lot of added wear and tear simply because they are expected to deal with both the center and a guard on every play.

Lots of DT's are double teamed on every play...

That's not something exclusive to NT in a 3-4...

DT is a position that you take a pounding by nature of the position...3-4 or 4-3 you are still playing crash dummy on every snap.

Sometimes the play calls for a double team and sometimes a players talent calls for a double team. A lot of NT in the 3-4 are double teamed because they are hard to block with one O-lineman...If Vince Wilfork played in a 4-3 he would still be double teamed a lot because of who he is...Not the front he plays in.
Old 01-07-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
But that's exactly what Dallas defense did the first few years with Wade, when they converted Greg Ellis to OLB. Even last year, they ran a 4 man front several times on passing downs.
Old 01-07-2011   #19
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 62290 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

If Wade is looking for guys who go either way, vince young may indeed be coming to Houston....
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Lots of DT's are double teamed on every play...

That's not something exclusive to NT in a 3-4...

DT is a position that you take a pounding by nature of the position...3-4 or 4-3 you are still playing crash dummy on every snap.

Sometimes the play call for a double team and sometimes a players talent calls for a double team. A lot of NT in the 3-4 are double teamed because they are hard to block with one O-lineman...If Vince Wilfork played in a 4-3 he would still be double teamed a lot because of who he is...Not the front he plays in.
When you're playing the 3 tech, you're lined up between a guard and a tackle. That tackle has responsibilities of the DE on your outside shoulder & any LB that might come up as well. The 3 Techs job is to jump inside that 3 gap where he should be one-on-one with the guard as the Tackle has to cover the DE. Unless he is slanting in, across the face of the guard to the 2 gap, he shouldn't be apt to getting double teamed.

Suan Cody or Damien Lewis are the only true options we have on this team to play NT. Maybe Sheppard if he is on the Practice Squad, & I say maybe, because he's got such a huge bottom end.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read