Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 127721 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Our WRs......

Of course i love AJ, who doesnt, but behind him what are we working with.

Well we have Kevin Walter whom it seems gets lost in the game, Sometimes i forget he is even playing, and it seems the ball is rarely thrown his way. Is this Schaub fault or does he have trouble getting open ??? Not sure.

Then we have Jacoby Jones who in the final 2 games of the season stepped it up, and kinda showed me MAYBE just MAYBE he can be a soild # 2 WR. But then again he dropped way to many catchable passes this season and he has not been the same PR he was in his first 2 seasons.

Then David Anderson, yeah i like the guy but he is undersized and dont have much speed. does have good hands though. Still i think we need to look else where.

Then we have Dorin Dickerson, now i didnt see much from him, i was hoping with AJ out the last 2 games he would get more PT, well that didnt happen we pretty much went to 2 WR sets. I figured itd be a chance to evaluate his talent, guess Kubiak figured different. He did have one play at the end of the titans game where he beat his man deep but caught the ball out of bounds.

I think we need to draft a big physical fast guy in the draft at WR, our maybe go after a younger up and coming WR in FA.

Sorry if i got off on the wrong foot with some of yall. I'm here to talk football i got tired of houstontexans.com so here i am.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #2
TexanAggie89
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our WRs......

I said this earlier also. We can probably get Justin Blackmon early in the second round (Im VERY high on him, hes like a bigger Dez Bryant). Or wait a few rounds and maybe pick up Jeff Fuller if he declares.
TexanAggie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby is never going to stop dropping passes. He is what he is.

He's proven that he can be a WR in this league, but he's also proven that he is unreliable.

I actually like both KW and JJ, but at this point I'm OK with looking for something better. I'm tired of KW disappearing and JJ dropping his balls everywhere.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #4
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Of course i love AJ, who doesnt, but behind him what are we working with.

Well we have Kevin Walter whom it seems gets lost in the game, Sometimes i forget he is even playing, and it seems the ball is rarely thrown his way. Is this Schaub fault or does he have trouble getting open ??? Not sure.

Then we have Jacoby Jones who in the final 2 games of the season stepped it up, and kinda showed me MAYBE just MAYBE he can be a soild # 2 WR. But then again he dropped way to many catchable passes this season and he has not been the same PR he was in his first 2 seasons.

Then David Anderson, yeah i like the guy but he is undersized and dont have much speed. does have good hands though. Still i think we need to look else where.

Then we have Dorin Dickerson, now i didnt see much from him, i was hoping with AJ out the last 2 games he would get more PT, well that didnt happen we pretty much went to 2 WR sets. I figured itd be a chance to evaluate his talent, guess Kubiak figured different. He did have one play at the end of the titans game where he beat his man deep but caught the ball out of bounds.

I think we need to draft a big physical fast guy in the draft at WR, our maybe go after a younger up and coming WR in FA.

Sorry if i got off on the wrong foot with some of yall. I'm here to talk football i got tired of houstontexans.com so here i am.
I like talking football, so here it goes......

I wouldnt be to upset if we took a WR with our 2nd or 3rd pick. Not the first, and it only depends on what/who we get with our 1st.

I haven't seen or done any mock drafts yet so Im not really sure who would fall down to those spots but if he's BPA and we have filled our need with our 1st and/or 2nd pick, then yes, grab a big, fast animal to compliment our passing game.

Walter and Anderson are great role players. JJ seems to have either regressed OR not gained any ground in my eyes. I thought this year would be his breakout year and I feel like I saw a crap load of dropped passes. He showed some flashes of brilliance in the return game but nothing to write home about.

I wouldnt mind trading him for an extra draft pick or something.

He's a depth WR as of right now as far as Im concerned so whatever we do with him won't impact us to bad. Im indifferent on what we do with him at this point.
Old 01-06-2011   #5
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAggie89 View Post
I said this earlier also. We can probably get Justin Blackmon early in the second round (Im VERY high on him, hes like a bigger Dez Bryant). Or wait a few rounds and maybe pick up Jeff Fuller if he declares.
I would like this but I got a feeling his stock will go up the closer we get to the draft. I don't want to spend a first rounder a WR as we have bigger needs elsewhere but if its Blackmon, Id do it in the 2nd.
Old 01-06-2011   #6
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 127721 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAggie89 View Post
i wouldnt mind getting a wr in the 2nd round, as long as they think he has potential to one day play as a #1 guy, we need someone we can groom under AJ. Kinda like the harrison, Wayne relationship with the colts.
Old 01-06-2011   #7
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you really want an impact WR its going to have to come through free agency. Guys that make a difference at WR their first year are just too hard to come by and honestly with us switching to a 34 defense I don't want us spending anything before a 5th round pick on him.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2011   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i wouldnt mind getting a wr in the 2nd round, as long as they think he has potential to one day play as a #1 guy, we need someone we can groom under AJ. Kinda like the harrison, Wayne relationship with the colts.
Yeah but do you know how long it took for Wayne to become a legit #2? I was an Indy fan while we had no team here... he was a Goat for 3 or 4 years it seems like.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #9
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
If you really want an impact WR its going to have to come through free agency. Guys that make a difference at WR their first year are just too hard to come by and honestly with us switching to a 34 defense I don't want us spending anything before a 5th round pick on him.

Mike
i agree though our draft needs to be a defensive draft, as that is our main problem, especially if we go to a 3-4
Old 01-06-2011   #10
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

If a WR is the BPA, take him.

OLB or NT will probably be the pick, but if all the good ones are gone, there is no need to reach for a guy (see Amobi)

With all the QBs and the usual run of LTs, a lot of good d-linemen slip to the 2nd or even 3rd.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #11
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jacoby was a third round pick and you want us to subsitute broken in pro for a rookie with virtually the same pic I dont follow the logic.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #12
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
Jacoby was a second round pick and you want us to subsitute broken in pro for a rookie with the same pic I dont follow the logic.
ur telling me all LBs that come out of the second round are as good as demeco ryans, and that all first round picks like sam bradford will succeed. If we choose another WR in the 3rd/2nd it wont be J.J it will be someone else.

And i mentioned above that we need to focus the draft on defense.
Old 01-06-2011   #13
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:

That's fine but you are just covering stuff that we have beat down all year already, look through the searches. There has been a lot of negativity here lately with the way the season went..

So good football talk is one thing blindly just assaulting players and not listening to well thought out responses is another.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #14
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ur telling me all LBs that come out of the second round are as good as demeco ryans, and that all first round picks like sam bradford will succeed. If we choose another WR in the 3rd/2nd it wont be J.J it will be someone else.

And i mentioned above that we need to focus the draft on defense.
Where have you been? can you name the last offensive player taken in the first round? 1 in the last five years. They have been focusing on defense.

If there is one right thing about the Texans its our WR (and TEs)core. It has been one of the best in the league for the last 3 years. They are good and make plays when needed. remember even AJ drops the ball from time to time ( see San Diego game)
Old 01-06-2011   #15
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Where have you been? can you name the last offensive player taken in the first round? 1 in the last five years. They have been focusing on defense.

If there is one right thing about the Texans its our WR (and TEs)core. It has been one of the best in the league for the last 3 years. They are good and make plays when needed. remember even AJ drops the ball from time to time ( see San Diego game)
but u see my point,,,a WR we draft in the 3rd could be bad ass compared to J.J. look at arian foster who went undrafted.
Old 01-06-2011   #16
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
but u see my point,,,a WR we draft in the 3rd could be bad ass compared to J.J. look at arian foster who went undrafted.
Ellis is right. It would be nice to sign another WR. I don't know what's up with Kevin Walter; he rarely gets passes thrown his way, and Jacoby Jones has dropped more balls than puberty.

Seeing that Andre's the only legitimate receiver we have right now, I can see us addressing the WR position in the draft.
Old 01-06-2011   #17
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Quote:
no i still think WR core is fine as is. I think we shoulda been drafting secondary years ago instead of collecting dlineman that we now are going to get rid of.

and now we are probably going to use first round pic on the very sexy position of nose tackle....sigh another d line bust is on the way.
Old 01-06-2011   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post

Mike
This is no longer true. Look at all of the rookie WRs that have been able to come into the league and make a impact from day 1 the last few years. With all of the spread offenses now in college, WRs come straight into the league and make a impact from day one pretty often now.

This offense needs some spice and some speed. If Andre isn't making huge plays in the passing game, no one really does. Who in this offense can catch a 6 yard slant and turn it into a 90 yard TD? I want a Percy Harvin/DeSean Jackson/Jacoby ford type of receiver. A true slant receiver, who can also play outside.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #19
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Quote:
no i still think WR core is fine as is. I think we shoulda been drafting secondary years ago instead of collecting dlineman that we now are going to get rid of.

and now we are probably going to use first round pic on the very sexy position of nose tackle....sigh another d line bust is on the way.
a caviat to this is If Julio Jones is around I would take him
Old 01-06-2011   #20
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
a caviat to this is If Julio Jones is around I would take him
Not sure if I would take Julio either though, he can't seem to stay very healthy...
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read