Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011   #1
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2075 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andrew Luck staying at Stanford

Will not declare for the NFL Draft

http://twitter.com/#!/BryanDFischer/...98923170136064
Old 01-06-2011   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andrew Luck staying at Stanford

Damn...

That might suck for us...

Good players just moved up a slot...
Old 01-06-2011   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Good for him. It's nice seeing a player not out for the money every once in a while. With Harbaugh likely leaving it's doubtful the Cardinal will be as good. A rookie pay scale will probably be in place when he comes out too.
Old 01-06-2011   #4
MFG16
Veteran

Rep Power: 301 MFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Carolina Announces they will pick Luck with the first pick if he declares for the draft...

Luck decides to stay at Stanfod. Insert Facepalm here.
Old 01-06-2011   #5
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Smart move.
Old 01-06-2011   #6
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

WOW, worst QB class EVER.

Feel sorry for all those teams desperately needing a QB.

Kolb and Young's trade value just went up.
Old 01-06-2011   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how much Stanford is paying him. :P
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2011   #8
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Smart move.
VERY bad move if you ask me. Look at Jake Locker last year. He was in the running for a top 5 pick. Instead he went back to school and is now looking like a late first early 2nd rounder. That means a loss of MILLIONS of dollars. Without Harbaugh(if he leaves) the offense may change and Luck's numbers may decrease.

If you are the #1 pick in the draft you MUST go. If you want to finish school and get your degree, great, you can do it in the offseason, just like Vonta Leach did.

A VERY bad decision in my mind.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Old 01-06-2011   #9
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Good for him. It's nice seeing a player not out for the money every once in a while. With Harbaugh likely leaving it's doubtful the Cardinal will be as good. A rookie pay scale will probably be in place when he comes out too.
That's why its a bad decision.

Old 01-06-2011   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger1 View Post
VERY bad move if you ask me. Look at Jake Locker last year. He was in the running for a top 5 pick. Instead he went back to school and is now looking like a late first early 2nd rounder. That means a loss of MILLIONS of dollars. Without Harbaugh(if he leaves) the offense may change and Luck's numbers may decrease.

If you are the #1 pick in the draft you MUST go. If you want to finish school and get your degree, great, you can do it in the offseason, just like Vonta Leach did.

makes Jake possibly the 1st QB taken afterall

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-06-2011   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Gonna have to agree here...

If you are the top pick in the draft then you are most likely going to a bad team...That's not a good reason to stay in school...
Old 01-06-2011   #12
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

On one hand, these types of decisions have worked out poorly in the past. You mention Locker, and two other prominent examples of a decision like this backfiring (from a monetary/business standpoint) would be Matt Leinart and Dave Ragone.

On the other hand, from everything I hear (at least from sources I trust), Andrew Luck is the real deal, and shouldn't have to worry about "being exposed" by coming back for another year. It did after all work out okay for Sam Bradford, and I believe that as good as Bradford is - or looks like he will be, Luck's still a better prospect than he was and is.

Don't know if this says anything about Harbaugh's likelihood of taking the Dolphins (or some other NFL) job, but even if he leaves, I would think that Stanford would put maximizing Andrew Luck's impact on the W-L record as the first and foremost quality they'd be looking for in a new HC.
Old 01-06-2011   #13
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
On one hand, these types of decisions have worked out poorly in the past. You mention Locker, and two other prominent examples of a decision like this backfiring (from a monetary/business standpoint) would be Matt Leinart and Dave Ragone.

On the other hand, from everything I hear (at least from sources I trust), Andrew Luck is the real deal, and shouldn't have to worry about "being exposed" by coming back for another year. It did after all work out okay for Sam Bradford, and I believe that as good as Bradford is - or looks like he will be, Luck's still a better prospect than he was and is.

Don't know if this says anything about Harbaugh's likelihood of taking the Dolphins (or some other NFL) job, but even if he leaves, I would think that Stanford would put maximizing Andrew Luck's impact on the W-L record as the first and foremost quality they'd be looking for in a new HC.
And Sam Bradford was injured in his last season in college. Sure, it worked out for him. But football is a violent game and injuries can happen at any time. Its better to sustain an injury when you are being paid millions than in college not getting paid millions.

Old 01-06-2011   #14
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
makes Jake possibly the 1st QB taken afterall
Possibly, but I don't see him as #1 overall or even a top 20 player. I think the first QB now taken is Newton followed by Mallet, and then the surging Gabbert.

Old 01-06-2011   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting. I understand his decision... especially considering he's getting a Stanford degree. However, I think it's a bad move on his part. $60 Million guaranteed.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Old 01-06-2011   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Interesting. I understand his decision... especially considering he's getting a Stanford degree. However, I think it's a bad move on his part. $60 Million guaranteed.
His dad was huge in decision process I'm sure he wanted Andrew to get his degree first. I'm going to enjoy watching him play next year @ Stanford

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-06-2011   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Good call andrew. I hate gobs and gobs of money too.

Sincerely,
Jake Locker
Old 01-06-2011   #18
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

If all you care about is the cash, then yeah, it may be the wrong decision.
However, the kid is going to graduate with a degree from Stanford and if there is an NFL lockout, he's going to look very smart. If there isn't a lockout, one of the big changes is probably a rookie wage scale and it will probably be implemented this year, which means he'd still be under it if he declares.

So IMO....
Stanford degree plus possible lower draft slot > No degree with a possible (probable?) NFL lockout.
Old 01-06-2011   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
If all you care about is the cash, then yeah, it may be the wrong decision.
However, the kid is going to graduate with a degree from Stanford and if there is an NFL lockout, he's going to look very smart. If there isn't a lockout, one of the big changes is probably a rookie wage scale and it will probably be implemented this year, which means he'd still be under it if he declares.

So IMO....
Stanford degree plus possible lower draft slot > No degree with a possible (probable?) NFL lockout.
If he declared and there was a lock out why wouldn't he be able to finish school anyways?

Whats wrong with being a millionaire AND taking classes and getting your degree from Stanford???
Old 01-06-2011   #20
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Andrew Luck staying at Stanford

= Harbaugh staying at Stanford?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read