Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-09-2011   #21
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Official switch to the 3-4 thread

If we go defense first round I am starting to think that Stephen Paea is the way to go. Guy is strong as an ox and very athletic for a big man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky_zxdQ75Lw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aReOloBmRkQ
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #22
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
If we go defense first round I am starting to think that Stephen Paea is the way to go. Guy is strong as an ox and very athletic for a big man.

Definitely a good player, one that is one my short list.

I could see him being a perfect nose for Wade's 3-4.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #23
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If he could play nose tackle, he could be the athletic type that Wade would want to plug into the middle.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
If he could play nose tackle, he could be the athletic type that Wade would want to plug into the middle.
so can/will Texans afford to just stand pat #11? we have three maybe four acceptable picks, four different positions for Wade to choose from?
  1. JJ WATT, DE
  2. VON MILLER, OLB
  3. STEPHEN PAEA, DT
  4. BRANDON HARRIS, CB

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #25
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully there will be a trade down that happens. The Packers would make a great trade down partner. (Ingram)

The more picks the merrier.

BL What do you think of taking Jeremy Beal as a possible 2nd rd. pick?

I'm warming to

Blackmon in the 1st and Beal in the 2nd

Thinking back to last yr Smithiak should've gone BPA in the 1st Bryant. If Blackmon is on the board they should consider taking him. AJ and Blackmon would help open up the offense.

While the defense stunk. The offense wasn't lights out. I dont care what the stats say. Blackmon is the real deal.

Not saying I would do this. But it should be under consideration.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #26
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The OLB/DE from Nevada ... Dontay Moch ... plays at 7:30 on ESPN .
Old 01-09-2011   #27
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

What does everybody think of Sione Fua out of Stanford? Stanford ran a 3-4 defense I believe this year. Does he fit the mold & what round do you expect him to go in?
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2011   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
What does everybody think of Sione Fua out of Stanford? Stanford ran a 3-4 defense I believe this year. Does he fit the mold & what round do you expect him to go in?
He's my #1 NT.

Great player

I haven't see Ellis play. But rmartin says he's really good. If that's the case I could see Ellis going before Fua.

Fua = late rd.2 early rd.3

What rd is Corey Liguet expected to go in? It seems like he would be a good fit in Phillips defense. He's a little undersized to play NT, but he is a player. He has a very strong lower body. Reminds me alot of Ratliff.
Old 01-09-2011   #29
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Man after looking at a lot of the prospects and potential draft rankings, this class looks really effing deep at DL (Pass rushing OLB's included). Going by that, and not really seeing any safeties that really pop like Thomas or Berry did last year, I'd have to say that the first pick is going to be somebody that will help either on the DL itself or with quarterback pressure.

All bets are off if Peterson or the guy from Nebraska named Prince declares, but I'm really liking what I see out of a lot of the defensive players. I'm okay if we miss out on Fairley (It's going to happen) because there are plenty of players that look like they will be available who can fit a 3-4. Paea, Von Miller, Clayborn, Quin, Kerrigan, all could probably fit in with what Phillips likes to do.

I also think that having a good crop of QB's is going to help defensive talent fall, and I could totally see Locker going in the top 10 as well as possibly a late riser like Blaine Gabbert.
Yes there will be a big group of solid players that are made for the 3/4 that should be available at our pick. I just hope they make the right choice.
Old 01-09-2011   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Herzlich is looking good.

Forced fumble and a few tackles in the 1st qtr.

Always seems to be in the right place.
Old 01-09-2011   #31
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Herzlich is looking good.

Forced fumble and a few tackles in the 1st qtr.

Always seems to be in the right place.

I want us to target Mark Herzlich, he is a fighter who will never quit on plays. Pair him up with Brian Cushing to train together and he'll be a beast in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
so can/will Texans afford to just stand pat #11? we have three maybe four acceptable picks, four different positions for Wade to choose from?
  1. JJ WATT, DE
  2. VON MILLER, OLB
  3. STEPHEN PAEA, DT
  4. BRANDON HARRIS, CB

If Paea is not there then we can move down and take Harris or pull the trigger and gamble on Von Miller.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #32
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

A dude like 55 for BC is a NG . Tough , squatt build , probably not a highly ranked guy .
Old 01-09-2011   #33
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

They just made really good point. Speed wins!
Old 01-09-2011   #34
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
They just made really good point. Speed wins!
Over training wins .
Old 01-09-2011   #35
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Over training wins .
That also!
Old 01-10-2011   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade mentions its all about the front 7 in the 3-4 (makes sense 3+4 does = 7 see this stuff really isn't rocket science afterall). So if we take him at his word, along with comments the Texans have enough good linemen already here doesn't that suggest his sights are set in fixing the linebacker position, either a OLB or ILB, maybe both?

these positions can be addressed after the first day, heck NT for that matter too, Cowboys drafted Jay Ratcliff in the 7th rd. point being Texans should focus on taking the bpa 11th overall, wade is gonna make everything alright on the defensive side of the ball, Kubiak would be elated to give Andre a dynamic #2 WR like Julio Jones (Smith & Kubiak love them some crimson tide).

just some random thoughts after Wade's press conference

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-10-2011   #37
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wade mentions its all about the front 7 in the 3-4 (makes sense 3+4 does = 7 see this stuff really isn't rocket science afterall).
*Pulls out calculator.* Tap tap tap tap. Tap tap tap tap. Holly hell he is right!

Quote:
So if we take him at his word, along with comments the Texans have enough good linemen already here doesn't that suggest his sights are set in fixing the linebacker position, either a OLB or ILB, maybe both?

these positions can be addressed after the first day, heck NT for that matter too, Cowboys drafted Jay Ratcliff in the 7th rd. point being Texans should focus on taking the bpa 11th overall, wade is gonna make everything alright on the defensive side of the ball, Kubiak would be elated to give Andre a dynamic #2 WR like Julio Jones (Smith & Kubiak love them some crimson tide).

just some random thoughts after Wade's press conference
Most people agree that in the first one to two rounds that you should take BPA. Get the most bang for your buck. After that you can pick and choose who fits your scheme best. I am all for the Texans taking a WR round 1 as long as his name rhymes with Bustin Flackmon.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #38
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think his point about the front 7 is that that is where the difference is between the 3-4 and the 4-3, the back end plays the same either way.

Well that is how I interpreted it.
Old 01-10-2011   #39
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Most people agree that in the first one to two rounds that you should take BPA. Get the most bang for your buck. After that you can pick and choose who fits your scheme best. I am all for the Texans taking a WR round 1 as long as his name rhymes with Bustin Flackmon.
Julio Jones is the better WR. When Julio Jones is on, he is easily the best WR in the nation. He's better than Green and Blackmon. Julio just doesn't have it turned on all the time.

This is the best top end WR draft in a while. I don't think AJ Green is going to go to route of Charles Rogers, but from a physical standpoint, I think Julio better compares to Andre than anyone else. If I'm drafting a WR early this year, it's Julio Jones.
Old 01-10-2011   #40
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Julio Jones is the better WR. When Julio Jones is on, he is easily the best WR in the nation. He's better than Green and Blackmon. Julio just doesn't have it turned on all the time.

This is the best top end WR draft in a while. I don't think AJ Green is going to go to route of Charles Rogers, but from a physical standpoint, I think Julio better compares to Andre than anyone else. If I'm drafting a WR early this year, it's Julio Jones.
Julio would fit perfectly, in tandem with Andre, brings some different tools & go to red-zone weapon for Schaub & Kubiak to target. Also Jacoby is a free agent.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read