Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2011   #121
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson Scouting Report

Shoulda just posted this in one of the dozen other "Jackson Sucks" threads.

KJ didnt fall down against the Aints .... But Glover Quinn did.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #122
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunky View Post
I wasn't trying to say "Jackson Sucks"; in fact, I normally defend him using the whole "development" argument. I just found it funny, that's all. Clearly, Jackson is not transitioning like we all want him to, but it seems like most of his collegiate "strengths" are his nfl "weaknesses".
two of his strengths that do remain are that he genuinely seems to be a competitor and does seem to take well to coaching, which is probably one of the big reasons why he's still in the starting lineup. however, this unfortunately takes away yet another excuse for his poor play (you can't chalk it up to poor attitude) and is yet another indictment on smith and the rest of the scouting department for missing out on his lack of skills. the amount of first-round corners available when the texans picked makes this even more maddening.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #123
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 95025 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

He may simply lack the physical attributes, like speed. If that's the case, then his ceiling has been reached.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #124
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What I don't understand for the life of me, is that other than the odd passing comment, Rick Smith hardly seems to get any heat for this at all.

This is a man who's first round picks have included Okoye and Jackson 2 more who've had suspensions for PED's and JJ Watt who wasn't even his pick!

So in 4 first round picks, 2 are busts and 2 have been busted.

And the guy still has his job!? And you never see and 'Fire Smith' pink soap around here since the last problem Smith was sent packing.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #125
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steelers OL Definitely vulnerable

Quote:
Im sure the steelers will throw quick slants to Kareem's side of the field to protect Ben. Why wouldn't they?
If Kareem is on the sideline, I wouldn't mind Big Ben throwing at him. Make this happen, Wade Phillips. Don't be a Richard Smith or Frank Bush and accept incompetence.
Old 09-28-2011   #126
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steelers OL Definitely vulnerable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If Kareem is on the sideline, I wouldn't mind Big Ben throwing at him. Make this happen, Wade Phillips. Don't be a Richard Smith or Frank Bush and accept incompetence.
LOL Excellent point!!
Old 09-28-2011   #127
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
What I don't understand for the life of me, is that other than the odd passing comment, Rick Smith hardly seems to get any heat for this at all.

This is a man who's first round picks have included Okoye and Jackson 2 more who've had suspensions for PED's and JJ Watt who wasn't even his pick!

And the guy still has his job!? And you never see and 'Fire Smith' pink soap around here since the last problem Smith was sent packing.
You do from me. RRick Smith should have been out already. He is only good at finding street FA's who catch lightning in a bottle. Then he relies on them the next year and they fall apart.
Old 09-28-2011   #128
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo orlando View Post
two of his strengths that do remain are that he genuinely seems to be a competitor and does seem to take well to coaching, which is probably one of the big reasons why he's still in the starting lineup. however, this unfortunately takes away yet another excuse for his poor play (you can't chalk it up to poor attitude) and is yet another indictment on smith and the rest of the scouting department for missing out on his lack of skills. the amount of first-round corners available when the texans picked makes this even more maddening.
He is also a decent tackler. That seemed to be a main focus of previous DB focus. I think it is idiotic to use CB tackling as your #1 focus when drafting a CB. Same as the safeties that can both play SS. WTF do you NOT want a guy who can roan in center field and make a mother****ing play!? We wasted so many years on idiots coaching the defense.
Old 09-28-2011   #129
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
That is the thing that worries me about Kareem...wasn't he supposed to be a press Corner?

How does it turn out that that seems to be the worst part of his game? All he did was give up short routes, I mean it's good he's not getting beat as often as last year but to see him playing so far off when playing short routes is supposed to be his thing?

I still have faith in the guy though, last game though was tough.
To me it looks like a combination of things:

Sometimes, he was in deep coverage (cover 3 and cover 4 for example) and the receiver recognized it and sit; Brees, of course, can read coverage as well as anyone in this league.

At other times, both Joseph and Jackson simply played off-man and only reacted back when they were sure the receiver didn't go deep.
Again, Brees knew exactly what to do.

The Saints receivers also ran good routes.
On the TD to Moore, for example, the receiver knew where the ball was going; he ran past the ball to lure Jackson away and turn around to make the catch on his back shoulder.
It didn't help that Brees had a wide open window in front of him (the gap between the two guards were humongous. I have big problem with Wade's pass rush scheme on this particular play and a few others.)
In the meantime, both safeties were dedicated to double up somewhere else; Manning jumped on McCain's man while Nolan looked to help Cushing and Cushing only.

When I have some time I will post the screen shots to show some of those plays.
This was a game where Wade didn't have good coverage disguise, and I have no idea why.
Also, the pressure by the D-line was spotty in the 4th quarter; and when a D-lineman put a hand up, Brees was able to avoid it.

For once, this looked like the D from the last year: none of the units played well and the D scheme left a lot to be desired.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #130
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Sometimes, he was in deep coverage (cover 3 and cover 4 for example) and the receiver recognized it and sit; Brees, of course, can read coverage as well as anyone in this league.

At other times, both Joseph and Jackson simply played off-man and only reacted back when they were sure the receiver didn't go deep.

On the TD to Moore, for example, the receiver knew where the ball was going; he ran past the ball to lure Jackson away and turn around to make the catch on his back shoulder.
It didn't help that Brees had a wide open window in front of him (the gap between the two guards were humongous. I have big problem with Wade's pass rush scheme on this particular play and a few others.)
In the meantime, both safeties were dedicated to double up somewhere else; Manning jumped on McCain's man while Nolan looked to help Cushing and Cushing only.

This was a game where Wade didn't have good coverage disguise, and I have no idea why.
Also, the pressure by the D-line was spotty in the 4th quarter; and when a D-lineman put a hand up, Brees was able to avoid it.

For once, this looked like the D from the last year: none of the units played well and the D scheme left a lot to be desired.
at the end, the Texans were in man almost exclusively when the Saints went pure spread. This is why Quinn was beat with no help and KJ was beat up repeatedly with the Brees pitch-n-catch for another SAINTS FIRST DOWN!

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #131
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

The reason you don't see much in the way of that sentiment I think is that many of us "pink soapers" have concluded that McNair is an ***** where picking football people is concerned and that he'll most likely stay with a lousy GM even longer than he will a lousy coach. There's no point in raising a bunch of hell about Rick Smith. He's here at least as long as Kubiak is (and Kubiak seems to be almost indestructable).

This is the season where we see success or change follows (supposedly). It has to play itself out. Right now despite the loss we're not looking too bad. The Saints rolled on Green Bay. Green Bay is the defending champion. Nobody knows if we're going to do our annual belly-flop again.

We're all just being carried along by the current so far as the Texans are concerned. I'm just tired of bitching (hard to believe I know) and have determined to simply enjoy what I can enjoy and ignore what I can't control. Plenty of time to rage and make an ass out of myself later in the year if things go badly. It's too soon to start that yet.
Old 09-28-2011   #132
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 122409 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Shoulda just posted this in one of the dozen other "Jackson Sucks" threads.

KJ didnt fall down against the Aints .... But Glover Quinn did.
i'm pretty sure this thread from january was one of the first jackson sucks threads.
Old 09-28-2011   #133
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 122409 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

i am ready for all these "excuses" for jackson. But lets not do it in my (WHY DOES EVERYBODY MAKE EXCUSES FOR KJ) thread.....thatd be to ironic
Old 09-28-2011   #134
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
He may simply lack the physical attributes, like speed. If that's the case, then his ceiling has been reached.
Kj has the speed it is how he uses the speed. He is a bump and run type corner that did not see NFL type WRs in college. He got juked out of his socks last season and often missed his "bump". He played in shell shock with no coaching help. IMO his success lies between his ears as coaching no longer an issue.
Old 09-28-2011   #135
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
You don't like Duane Brown? I think he's done a great job of solidifying the LT position. Why is Jackson face guarding Lance Moore in the endzone?!?!?! That puts the back shoulder throw on a silver platter for lil breesy..
pretty sure kubiak has been involved in 5 drafts
Old 09-28-2011   #136
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
pretty sure kubiak has been involved in 5 drafts
6 - 2006,7,8,9,10 & 11. Smith in the 5 after 2006
Old 09-28-2011   #137
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
6 - 2006,7,8,9,10 & 11. Smith in the 5 after 2006
yeah but the first year kubiak was new, i doubt he had much to do with the picks. i think casserly had his hand in most of that. i dont really count that one, he dont get credit for M.W
Old 09-28-2011   #138
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
yeah but the first year kubiak was new, i doubt he had much to do with the picks. i think casserly had his hand in most of that. i dont really count that one, he dont get credit for M.W
Casserly was lame duck and Kubiak was a brand new HC probably already searching for the GM he was going to be allowed to pick, i.e. had unusual power. There was a real good indication Kubiak had final say on the picks from the story of the OD pick where shortly after the draft Kubiak said Casserly had to convince him to take OD. It was meant as a compliment to Casserly but tells you the power structure. There were also reports Casserly wanted Bush over Williams. DeMeco doesn't tell us much since he was someone they all expected to be gone and they ran to the podium. Spencer and Winston sure look like picks by a guy about to build an OL (rather than a GM who had shown no talent for finding OLmen). Direct stories and inference support Kubiak being in charge. That doesn't mean Casserly gets no credit for setting up the scout team which provided all the information and for whatever advice he gave.
Old 09-28-2011   #139
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Casserly was lame duck and Kubiak was a brand new HC probably already searching for the GM he was going to be allowed to pick, i.e. had unusual power. There was a real good indication Kubiak had final say on the picks from the story of the OD pick where shortly after the draft Kubiak said Casserly had to convince him to take OD. It was meant as a compliment to Casserly but tells you the power structure. There were also reports Casserly wanted Bush over Williams. DeMeco doesn't tell us much since he was someone they all expected to be gone and they ran to the podium. Spencer and Winston sure look like picks by a guy about to build an OL (rather than a GM who had shown no talent for finding OLmen). Direct stories and inference support Kubiak being in charge. That doesn't mean Casserly gets no credit for setting up the scout team which provided all the information and for whatever advice he gave.
i agree kubiak and Co have made SOME good pics. i wasnt the one who stated that all their draft pics were busts. The guy said 4 drafts, i said 5 when i guess in reality it was 6
Old 09-28-2011   #140
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x
Default Re: Why is everyone making excuses for K.J.

Is it time for Brandon Harris to start for Kareem yet?
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read