Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why is everyone making excuses for K.J.

It is not bad coaching that gets him burnt every game, it was not frank bushs fault he was always 10-15 steps behing the man he was covering. You can teach technique but you cant teach speed. Our best CB this season was easily Jason Allen, he will be resigned this off seasons IMO. Jackson is a bust IMO, and yes i can say that after 1 season, it would been fine if he woulda shown some improvement but he didn't, he was as bad his last game as he was his first.

So why does everyone keep defending him. Some of u wanting him to continue to start sound a lot like the way bob mcnair thinks. Lets dont be hypocrites.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why is everyone making excuses for K.J.

The defense will get rebooted during this offseason. Why don't we just wait and see what ole Uncle Wade has in store for us? KJ might not be a factor next year, but none of us knows that as yet.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #3
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
It is not bad coaching that gets him burnt every game, it was not frank bushs fault he was always 10-15 steps behing the man he was covering. You can teach technique but you cant teach speed. Our best CB this season was easily Jason Allen, he will be resigned this off seasons IMO. Jackson is a bust IMO, and yes i can say that after 1 season, it would been fine if he woulda shown some improvement but he didn't, he was as bad his last game as he was his first.

So why does everyone keep defending him. Some of u wanting him to continue to start sound a lot like the way bob mcnair thinks. Lets dont be hypocrites.
I haven't heard anyone defend him on this board. All I hear is "..and Kareem Jackson falls down".

I wasn't critical of the selection initially, but my concern was that their argument was "he's the most NFL-ready". But that also could mean, "that's as good as he'll ever get", that he's reached his potential. That seems to be the case, but a good CB also makes a huge leap between years 1 and 2. And it's not often a rookie CB is asked to defend the opposing team's #1 receiver every week for a full season. We should've kept Reeves and brought KJ along slowly by playing him in nickel packages.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Leave KJ Alone!!!

Seriously? We needed a new thread for this?
Old 01-06-2011   #5
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
I haven't heard anyone defend him on this board. All I hear is "..and Kareem Jackson falls down".

I wasn't critical of the selection initially, but my concern was that their argument was "he's the most NFL-ready". But that also could mean, "that's as good as he'll ever get", that he's reached his potential. That seems to be the case, but a good CB also makes a huge leap between years 1 and 2. And it's not often a rookie CB is asked to defend the opposing team's #1 receiver every week for a full season. We should've kept Reeves and brought KJ along slowly by playing him in nickel packages.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79168
Old 01-06-2011   #6
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I only see a couple of people in there "defending" him. Most everyone else is either ribbing the OP or flat out disagreeing.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Plug him in as a nickel back and watch him shine.

He can't cover man-to-man, but let him (on nickel situations) drift over and support the CBs or let him be responsible for covering the man out of the backfield and I think he'll do well.

However, this regime feels that he's a Round 1 draft pick and therefore he MUST be a true starting CB. This regime will pound on that square peg until it somehow goes through the round hole.

There's a sense of this Owner/GM/HC just "not getting it" and then also being too loyal, to a fault, because they want to feel good about themselves and make sure every person has a chance and no kid is left behind.

It's the Head Start team of the NFL.
Old 01-06-2011   #8
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 15013 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

worst wasted pick since Amoeba Okoye

current staff can't eval defensive talent at all

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cause you don't blame the player for being a reach, you blame the brain trust that picked him early. KJ is what he is.
Old 01-06-2011   #10
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ill defend him. The kid is a rookie. Not only is he a rookie but he doesnt have the luxury of a great defense (McCourty) or of being the nickel CB (Wilson) or have any vets teaching him the tricks of the trade (cromartie/revis). Im assuming these are the two that he is continually compared two because they were drafted so close together.

Not to mention, our defense can't apply pressure to save our lives. With that being said, he was constantly on an island without any help from our front seven putting pressure on the QB so they could basically pick apart our secondary.

Also, besides QB, I think CB is the hardest position to start at as a rookie. Im not saying he was great or even good, I'm saying he is VERY young. As for coaching and getting burnt like you said earlier? If he is not being coached correctly on how to move his hips, anticipate, etc, then he will lose steps every time and "appear" to be burnt.

Im not sure that what Im saying is the 100% case, but it could easily be so seeing as how bad our defense was this year. I think with proper coaching and a veteran presence, this kid could be very good.

You cant label the kid a bust until year 3 at best. The NFL and college are two completely different levels.

I think saying the kid sucks and needs to be cut is ridiculous. Give him the proper tools and then make a decision.
Old 01-06-2011   #11
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Coaching WASN'T an issue....really? I guess Glover Quin regressed because of what exactly? How about the effectiveness of Pollard? Kareem always got that safety help that was supposed to be there in Wilson I suppose?

You've got to be kidding if you think Kareem Jackson is as bad as he was made to look at times this season. Especially, if you think it was his fault alone.

Old 01-06-2011   #12
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Coaching WASN'T an issue....really? I guess Glover Quin regressed because of what exactly? How about the effectiveness of Pollard? Kareem always got that safety help that was supposed to be there in Wilson I suppose?

You've got to be kidding if you think Kareem Jackson is as bad as he was made to look at times this season. Especially, if you think it was his fault alone.

This.
Old 01-06-2011   #13
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, I think Glover was our best corner this season. Jason did play well considering we just picked him off the waiver wire midseason.

Kareem does look like he doesn't have the speed to recover, but I'm hoping better coaching will help.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #14
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Ill defend him. The kid is a rookie. Not only is he a rookie but he doesnt have the luxury of a great defense (McCourty) or of being the nickel CB (Wilson) or have any vets teaching him the tricks of the trade (cromartie/revis). Im assuming these are the two that he is continually compared two because they were drafted so close together.

Not to mention, our defense can't apply pressure to save our lives. With that being said, he was constantly on an island without any help from our front seven putting pressure on the QB so they could basically pick apart our secondary.

Also, besides QB, I think CB is the hardest position to start at as a rookie. Im not saying he was great or even good, I'm saying he is VERY young. As for coaching and getting burnt like you said earlier? If he is not being coached correctly on how to move his hips, anticipate, etc, then he will lose steps every time and "appear" to be burnt.

Im not sure that what Im saying is the 100% case, but it could easily be so seeing as how bad our defense was this year. I think with proper coaching and a veteran presence, this kid could be very good.

You cant label the kid a bust until year 3 at best. The NFL and college are two completely different levels.

I think saying the kid sucks and needs to be cut is ridiculous. Give him the proper tools and then make a decision.
he's been playing this game his whole life so come on its not gibbs/bushs fault. u can label someone a bust after 1 season. I saw many of these same people call M.W a bust after season 1.
Old 01-06-2011   #15
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1623 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Fred Bennett would be another example...played pretty well until the Texans coaching staff sunk their hooks into him.

monkey
HuttoKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #16
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:

i'm not saying the play calling wasnt terrible. But if ur playing man regardless of the play u should be able to play man, same with zone. it is simple u can either run with a WR r u cant, u can either turn and run with the WR r u cant. U have it r u dont.
Old 01-06-2011   #17
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
he's been playing this game his whole life so come on its not gibbs/bushs fault. u can label someone a bust after 1 season. I saw many of these same people call M.W a bust after season 1.
My point exactly!! MW has recorded more sacks in his five years than any other DE!

And give me a break, if you havent heard the speed difference from the NFL to college then you havent been paying attention to football too long. If you think it is the EXACT same game then explain why so many college coaches have failed in the NFL.

Some players cant get the grasp of the NFL, not saying KJ will or has gotten it, but he played on the worst defense ever, got coached by a bum, and was a rookie.

Give me a break bro.

Old 01-06-2011   #18
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
i'm not saying the play calling wasnt terrible. But if ur playing man regardless of the play u should be able to play man, same with zone. it is simple u can either run with a WR r u cant, u can either turn and run with the WR r u cant. U have it r u dont.
Im not going to pound my point in any more than I have. This is ridiculous. Do some research before you make asinine comments like these.
Old 01-06-2011   #19
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
My point exactly!! MW has recorded more sacks in his five years than any other DE!

And give me a break, if you havent heard the speed difference from the NFL to college then you havent been paying attention to football too long. If you think it is the EXACT same game then explain why so many college coaches have failed in the NFL.

Some players cant get the grasp of the NFL, not saying KJ will or has gotten it, but he played on the worst defense ever, got coached by a bum, and was a rookie.

Give me a break bro.

but M.W never looked slow, our out of his league. If u can teach speed i am gonna go take a speed class and try out for the texans next season. He gets left in the dust and get even further behind the longer he chases. I'm saying M.W had a descent Rookie year and many called him a bust now K.J has the worst year and people refuse to call him a bust. sounds to me like people were still made we didnt get young our bush.
Old 01-06-2011   #20
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Im not going to pound my point in any more than I have. This is ridiculous. Do some research before you make asinine comments like these.
u want me to research what exactly. i didnt show any stats, no theories, i pointed out the obvious from the season, he couldnt play man, or zone, and was always getting burnt. there is plenty of facts to support that he was easily the worst CB in the NFL if thats what u want.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read