Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2011   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default FA targets 2011?

Given that we are moving to Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense, I see us making a run at Cowboys free agents that could compete for starting jobs and help speed up the transition for the rest of the defense.

Two targets I have in mind:

Marcus Spears (DE) - Would compete with Antonio Smith for a starting spot and help the DL transition.

Terrence Newman (CB) - Would provide us with a true # 1 CB and give the young DBs a quality veteran to learn from.
Old 01-06-2011   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FA targets 2011?

anybody and everybody who Kubes and wade can think help this team

NO CHamp bailey tho

i brought him up at work and some dude made a intresting point

IS he the same champ bailey we are thinking of tho he is a little older and denver was not so hot this year
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #3
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Given that we are moving to Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense, I see us making a run at Cowboys free agents that could compete for starting jobs and help speed up the transition for the rest of the defense.

Two targets I have in mind:

Marcus Spears (DE) - Would compete with Antonio Smith for a starting spot and help the DL transition.

Terrence Newman (CB) - Would provide us with a true # 1 CB and give the young DBs a quality veteran to learn from.
Marcus Spears isn't he the guy we passed along with DJ and draft Travis Johnson(DT) instead? Damn Caper and co.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #4
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this here
Quote:
IMO the LBs in a 3-4 would be Cushing and Barwin on the outside and Ryans and Sharpton in the middle.

Before you say that Sharpton is too small remember Sam Mills was only 5-9 229 and he was one of the Best 3-4 MLBs to ever play the game.

As for the DL, I want to run a one gap system like Wade Phillips has run for year, with that Mario and Smith will be the DEs. Image having Mario and Barwin on the same side coming for the QB.

The NT can be Damione Lewis and a draft pick or two. We could draft one or two of the following Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss, Sione Fua, NT, Stanford, Kendrick Ellis, NT, Hampton or Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor.

As for FA NTs that might be signed John Henderson, DT, Raiders ; Ronald Fields, NT Denver; Ron Edwards, NT KC(Klein Forest/ A&M grad); Shaun Smith, NT, KC; Paul Soliai, NT Dolphins, Haloti Ngata DE/NT Ravens (he will be Franchised and cost two 1st round picks); Chris Hoke, NT Steelers; Remi Ayodele, DT Saints; Bryan Robinson, NT, Arizona; Gabe Watson, NT, Arizono; Alan Branch, DE/NT, Arizona; Aubrayo Franklin, NT, 49ers; Brandon Mebane, DT, Seattle.

As you can see the NT position can be addressed. I'm not saying that the guys above are elite types (Ngata excluded) but they can be solid NTs on a team that is transitioning to the 3-4.

The current team and next years team has to worry about the play of the secondary, was it coaching or talent evaluation that caused the problem.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

"IMO the LBs in a 3-4 would be Cushing and Barwin on the outside."
&&
I think Barwin always was meant to be a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Besides being an outstanding edge-rusher, he's very athletic you know, we're talking about a former varsity basketball player at Cinci here. On the other hand Cushing gets into trouble when he's in space, I like him staying around the los where he can take advantage of his size, strength, and aggressiveness.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #6
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
anybody and everybody who Kubes and wade can think help this team

NO CHamp bailey tho

i brought him up at work and some dude made a intresting point

IS he the same champ bailey we are thinking of tho he is a little older and denver was not so hot this year
Someone on another thread mentioned that Bailey wants to switch to FS to prolong his career. I'd be down with that. I'd also be ok with re-signing Jason Allen as long as we went elsewhere for another corner also. Cromartie and Chris Carr are options, depending on cap space.

We also need a good-sized tackle for the NT in case our current tandem doesn't work out. Ngata would be awesome, but no way does B'more let that guy go (which is why we have a shot at one of their CB's). Aubrayo Franklin plays the nose for SF, but I don't know much about him. Same with the Cardinals' Alan Branch. He's huge (338), he's young (26), but I don't know anything about him.

Good list of FA here to keep this thread alive. http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #7
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 140 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
"IMO the LBs in a 3-4 would be Cushing and Barwin on the outside."
&&
I think Barwin always was meant to be a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Besides being an outstanding edge-rusher, he's very athletic you know, we're talking about a former varsity basketball player at Cinci here. On the other hand Cushing gets into trouble when he's in space, I like him staying around the los where he can take advantage of his size, strength, and aggressiveness.
So would Cushing be better suited for the inside? Sharpton would be a suitable backup on the inside, but that leaves us without a starting OLB.
Old 01-06-2011   #8
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roc View Post
So would Cushing be better suited for the inside? Sharpton would be a suitable backup on the inside, but that leaves us without a starting OLB.
Cushing is a rushing LB. He'll be another Clay Mathews in the 3-4 IMO.
Old 01-06-2011   #9
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Considering Leinart will probably be gone (SF and Oakland come to mind), we'll be looking for a quality backup QB. Seneca Wallace, Alex Smith, Matt Moore, Rex Grossman, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Tyler Thigpien - all available. Snag one? I like Wallace and Smith, personally. I think they'd do well in our system. Thoughts?
Old 01-06-2011   #10
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

make Haloti Ngata the richest man in NFL history
Old 01-06-2011   #11
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
make Haloti Ngata the richest man in NFL history
If B'more franchises him, we can't.
Old 01-06-2011   #12
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
If B'more franchises him, we can't.
Can you not still make an offer on a franchise player? You lose a draft pick, but I am pretty sure Ngata is worth more than any player in any round out there. Not one single rookie I'd rather have than him.
Old 01-06-2011   #13
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can you not still make an offer on a franchise player? You lose a draft pick, but I am pretty sure Ngata is worth more than any player in any round out there. Not one single rookie I'd rather have than him.
Yeah, you can still make an offer to a franchise player. I forget the rules as to what you pay as the team that made the offer if the player accepts but it is pretty friggin steep and that's why you don't see too many teams do it. However, if we are switching to a 3-4, Ngata is really the only proven guy out there that I would take right now so it may be worth it.

Too bad Zombie Master Davis out in Oakland will not part with Namdi Aso. at DB.........would love to get him!

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #14
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
No way does a team make an offer to a "non-exclusive" player and risk losing TWO first-round draft picks. Only Peyton or Tom would be worth that.
Old 01-06-2011   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 119243 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

With no CBA, there may be no franchise tags.
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #16
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
From Wikipedia:

No way does a team make an offer to a "non-exclusive" player and risk losing TWO first-round draft picks. Only Peyton or Tom would be worth that.
I'd do it for Ngata...he's the ultimate NT.
Old 01-06-2011   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd do it for Ngata...he's the ultimate NT.
Except for the fact that he isn't Baltimore's NT. Kelly Gregg is their NT. Occasionally Ngata moves inside.
Old 01-06-2011   #18
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 629 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not want Newman. He is really starting to show his age and is not looking like he has much left. If I were to go after a corner, I think I would pick Richard Marshall. Carolina wants to get rid of him, but he has been a fairly solid corner from what I have seen and read. He is a very physical player who can help out vs the run as well. He is by no means elite, but I think he would be a very serviceable corner.
dinkatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone is getting so excited about FA. But McNair's statements reflect only that we will "take part" in FA this year. I don't remember anywhere that he stated will be "aggressive" in FA of make a "splash." That's tethering my expectations once again for the FA "fix" and I expect more and more talk about how well we will do with just little "tweeks" in order to justify this stance in FA. We're already hearing statements to that effect from Wade.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #20
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Everyone is getting so excited about FA. But McNair's statements reflect only that we will "take part" in FA this year. I don't remember anywhere that he stated will be "aggressive" in FA of make a "splash." That's tethering my expectations once again for the FA "fix" and I expect more and more talk about how well we will do with just little "tweeks" in order to justify this stance in FA. We're already hearing statements to that effect from Wade.
Like he's really going to show his hand. You don't make brazen statements like that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read