Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2011   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rey's perfect off-season...

Free Agency: Go hard after Champ Bailey.

Let him play FS. He has said that is his eventual goal so that he can prolong his career. Let him get started right now. I don't think there will be a huge learning curve for him. He know coverages. He has the ability to do it physically.

I'd go out and Get Richard Marshall at cornerback. He adds speed, is decent in pass coverage and is good in run support. He's not an old guy and he may not be all that high on Carolina's priority list so I've read. Instantly upgrades or Corners.

Baltimore has 3 corners about to hit the market. Fabian Washington, Josh Wilson, and Chris Carr. They will probably not re-sign all of them. Grab one of them.

I'd also like to see us go after Franklin from San Fran, Alan Branch from Arz, and Pat Williams as a veteran presence and a rotation player along the D-line...

I know it's not a popular opinion but I'd go after VY as a back-up QB. Can't see too many teams offering him the starting job so he would probably be more willing to come here. I think he'd be a good back-up for us and definitely better than Dan-O.

If we could get get any two of the D-linemen I mentioned Richard Marshall and Champ Bailey I'd be very happy.

I know I'm asking the Texans to break bread in Free Agency, but I think they should do it and make a real effort to get better over there.

Trade: Joel Dreesen, Amobi and a 5th for a 3rd round pick. Owen has looked good lately. Dressen has gotten his name out there and I think a few teams would like to have him as a potential starter...I think even if Owen gets hurt again, we would still have Casey and Hill behind him. This would also allow Casey to get more playing time.

Draft:

1: Julio Jones, WR Bama. Big fast wide out. Can come in and instantly get playing time. Sorry, DA, I really like you but you are probably the odd man out. I think he can be an impact player for us and I think he is better than some of the defensive players that would be on the board.

Offense is now extremely potent.

2: Trade 2nd and a 4th to move up to the bottom of the first or the top of the 2nd. Pick up Von Miller, OLB Texas A&M.

3:Kendrick Ellis, DT Hampton. Massive Human being at 6' 5" 340lbs...Has good skills to go with. Put up ridiculous numbers at Hampton after transferring from I believe South Carolina.

3: Kelvin Sheppard MLB, LSU. Big LB that is strong and can run. I think he will provide flexibility for us and should easily become a starter at some point.

5: Marcus Hyde, SS, Michigan State. Would like to see some competition for Barber.

6: Terrance Sweeny, CB, Kansas State. Can come in and compete at corner and kick returner. good speed.

7: Brandyn Thompson, CB, Boise State. Another guy that can come in and push some people and try to return kicks. Good speed.

Offensive line-up:

QB: Schaub, Young
RB: Foster, Tate, Ward, Slaton, Free agent
FB: Leach
WR: Johnson, Walter, Julio, Jacoby, Dickerson
TE: Daniels, Casey, Grahm, Hill
O-line: remains mostly the same

Defensive Lineup:

DE: Smith, Earl Mitchell
DT: Franklin, Kendrick Ellis, Pat Williams
DE: Mario, Shaun Cody, Damione Lewis

OLB: Cushing, Barwin, Mark Anderson
MLB: Demeco, Sharpton, Sheppard, Bentley, Adibi
OLB: Von Miller, Diles, Tim Jamison

CB: Richard Marshall, Quinn, Jackson, Baltimore FA corner
SS: Pollard, Nolan
FS: Champ Bailey, Eugene Wilson

I'm not a big draft guy, I don't know what will happen with the collective bargaining regarding free agency....But I do know I'd be super pumped if this was a large part of the Texans team next year.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #2
TexanAggie89
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rey's perfect off-season...

I like everything you said here. A few things though

1. Von Miller will be a 1st round pick, so with our 11th pick we NEED to pick him up. We play the 3-4 at TAMU, and he is just a beast of the edge.

2. Switch the WR pick to 2nd round, and instead of Julio Jones, get Justin Blackmon. He's huge and has sure hands, plus Jones is injury prone at Bama already.
TexanAggie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #3
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Young as the backup QB? Never thought of that.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAggie89 View Post
I like everything you said here. A few things though

1. Von Miller will be a 1st round pick, so with our 11th pick we NEED to pick him up. We play the 3-4 at TAMU, and he is just a beast of the edge.

2. Switch the WR pick to 2nd round, and instead of Julio Jones, get Justin Blackmon. He's huge and has sure hands, plus Jones is injury prone at Bama already.
I'd be cool with that too....

Like I said, Not a big draft guy...Dont' know exactly where these players are slotted to go and I'm not familar with a lot of the prospects...Just the ones I've seen a bit of....

Your suggestions sound good...
Old 01-05-2011   #5
TexanAggie89
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAggie89 is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL, thank you. I didnt want Von if we kept a 4-3, but he is IDEAL for a 3-4, and i would love if he was as productive as Clay Matthews is in a 3-4.

Go look up Justin Blackmon from OSU on you tube. Sure hands, speed, and he is HUGE. Think of him as just a bigger Dez Bryant.
TexanAggie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #6
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather put Cushing in the middle with Ryans and get an OLB in the draft to go opposite of Barwin.

Also don't you think we should draft some depth for FS? If Nolan moves to SS and Pollard is gone like some think he will be, we have no safety depth whatsoever, and two old farts at FS with noone to develop.
Old 01-05-2011   #7
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

Mine would go like this:

FA signings:

Aubrayo Franklin - NT 49ers
Carlos Rogers CB Redskins AND/OR Antonio Cromartie - CB Jets
DL/LB/S depth

Draft:

Trade 1st and 2nd rounders (2nd round 2012 if horribly necessary) to get a high enough pick for...

1st - Patrick Peterson - CB/S LSU - (FS)
3rd - Mark Barron - SS Alabama - (SS)
4th - Shareece Wright - CB USC -(CB)
5th-7th - BAP (with preference to a KR/PR)
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2011   #8
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather bring Leinart back or keep Orlovsky than have that cancer VY here. I'd also rather keep Jason Allen than bring in Jefferson. Other than that, I like your suggestions. I wasn't aware that B-more had all three of those corners up as FA's. We should DEFINITELY target the best of those that are interested.

As far as the draft, let's see what happens in FA first.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rey, check out some other mocks in the draft thread.

We do alot of back and forth and disagreement is not only suggested. It's encouraged.

You should check it out.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
I'd rather put Cushing in the middle with Ryans and get an OLB in the draft to go opposite of Barwin.
Barwin is coming off of a serious injury. I started to put Cushing inside, but I think we'd be better served getting Sharpton on the field instead of Barwin.

I know its sexy to think about Barwin out there on the edge...I think he'd be good in a back-up role for us and on special teams.

Cushing is good out on the edge...I'd really prefer to keep him there...Plus he has really good size.

I also think it really comes down to what is better for us....Sharpton being on the field inside, or Barwin being on the edge outside...

That is, assuming we even get a rookie OLB to start for us...If we don't do that, they all of them can play....
Old 01-05-2011   #11
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Barwin is coming off of a serious injury. I started to put Cushing inside, but I think we'd be better served getting Sharpton on the field instead of Barwin.

I know its sexy to think about Barwin out there on the edge...I think he'd be good in a back-up role for us and on special teams.

Cushing is good out on the edge...I'd really prefer to keep him there...Plus he has really good size.

I also think it really comes down to what is better for us....Sharpton being on the field inside, or Barwin being on the edge outside...

That is, assuming we even get a rookie OLB to start for us...If we don't do that, they all of them can play....
Just want to point out that the scout website I like to look at had Barwin listed as the 4th best OLB prospect in 09, after Curry Cushing and Matthews. Just saying, he was projected by many to be a rush backer. Of course everything hinges on his recovery. But I'd hate to just throw away a dude we got in the 2nd round.
Old 01-05-2011   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
I'd rather bring Leinart back or keep Orlovsky than have that cancer VY here. I'd also rather keep Jason Allen than bring in Jefferson. Other than that, I like your suggestions. I wasn't aware that B-more had all three of those corners up as FA's. We should DEFINITELY target the best of those that are interested.

As far as the draft, let's see what happens in FA first.
I think Leinart is gone...I think someone will give him a shot to atleast compete for the starting spot...

I think VY would be much better than Dan-O as a back-up...Especially in this system where the QB bootlegs and rolls out a lot...
Old 01-05-2011   #13
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sharpton played well in the middle. Wouldn't it make more sense to leave him inside with Ryans and have Barwin and Cushing on the outside?
Old 01-05-2011   #14
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cland View Post
Mine would go like this:

FA signings:

Aubrayo Franklin - NT 49ers
Carlos Rogers CB Redskins AND/OR Antonio Cromartie - CB Jets
DL/LB/S depth

Draft:

Trade 1st and 2nd rounders (2nd round 2012 if horribly necessary) to get a high enough pick for...

1st - Patrick Peterson - CB/S LSU - (FS)
3rd - Mark Barron - SS Alabama - (SS)
4th - Shareece Wright - CB USC -(CB)
5th-7th - BAP (with preference to a KR/PR)
Sucks, but that is what we are going to have to do in order to even have a chance at Patrick Peterson, due to the meaningless win against Jacksonville. Doubt he'll slip to 11.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #15
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think Leinart is gone...I think someone will give him a shot to atleast compete for the starting spot...

I think VY would be much better than Dan-O as a back-up...Especially in this system where the QB bootlegs and rolls out a lot...
I don't want VY here for three reasons:

1) he's not very good, although he thinks he should be a starter

2) the VY fans here will be perpetually calling for him to start over a much better QB, and they'll never be convinced that Young isn't good enough in the NFL to even hold Schaub's jock

3) he's a locker room cancer
Old 01-05-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
Just want to point out that the scout website I like to look at had Barwin listed as the 4th best OLB prospect in 09, after Curry Cushing and Matthews. Just saying, he was projected by many to be a rush backer. Of course everything hinges on his recovery. But I'd hate to just throw away a dude we got in the 2nd round.
I think regardless Barwin will not be of a whole lot of benefit early in the season for us...

Maybe not Demeco either...

But Barwin basically will have not played football for an entire year...He's gonna have some growing pains trying to get back into form...

I don't want to see Barwin get thrown away either...I just don't know how realistic it would be to count on him be starter next year and playing at a high level...

If I'm Kubiak, and I know my job is really on the line, I would not count on that....
Old 01-05-2011   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the fact that you were willing to trade up to get Peterson. I would probably give up even more in trade than that. Peterson is a rare athlete and worth the price. IMHO

I also like how your offseason and draft targeted the DB's. If you want to fix the secondary you have to invest the capital. (Draft picks/FA) you certianly did that.

I remember the Oilers drafted 4 DB's one draft. They were set in the secondary for next 6-8 yrs.

I really liked most of your offseason moves. The question is will BoB step up to the plate and put out the $$$$ to quickly improve the team.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sharpton played well in the middle. Wouldn't it make more sense to leave him inside with Ryans and have Barwin and Cushing on the outside?
That's what I said...

Except I'd draft Von Miller because I would not count on Barwin to be a starter next year after coming off serious injury, he's never been a starter and he hasn't played football in a year.

I'd have Von-Ryans-Sharpton-Cushing
Old 01-05-2011   #19
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I really liked most of your offseason moves. The question is will BoB step up to the plate and put out the $$$$ to quickly improve the team.
If all it took was money, I really think Bob would've ponied up years ago. You gotta play within the salary cap rules, though, just like everyone else. I think it's all gonna depend on the CBA. Is 2011 uncapped right now, or will the signing of FA's be banned until a new CBA is reached?
Old 01-05-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't want VY here for three reasons:

1) he's not very good, although he thinks he should be a starter

2) the VY fans here will be perpetually calling for him to start over a much better QB, and they'll never be convinced that Young isn't good enough in the NFL to even hold Schaub's jock

3) he's a locker room cancer
I can't really argue against that although I've never really heard anything about him being a cancer...I've mostly heard teammates come out and support him...But that said, I can definitely understand some of his teammates not liking the way he handled his business.

On another note, wasn't Leinart viewed in kind of the same way...a bit of a party boy, not very good on the field, maybe a bit immature???

He got released from his team just like Young...

Leinart hasn't played a down for us and now he's some kind of valuable commodity?

You'd really rather have DanO than VY???

We'll see what happens with Matt but he is probably gone. VY has had some success in this leauge...I think he can come in and work and play his role much like Leinart did...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read