Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2011   #81
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: For the love of God... We NEED a space eating NT now more than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Why does that flag in the background only have 44 stars on it?
There were only 44 states at the time...
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #82
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: For the love of God... We NEED a space eating NT now more than ever!

The Browns are hiring Juaron as their DC, which means they'll likely be switching to a 4-3. Maybe we could send Okoye and somebody else there for Ahtyba Rubin? Or maybe even Shaun Rogers?

I think Rubin's only 24-25 years old and he ended up starting ahead of Rogers. He had a very good year for a NT.

I know Wade has mentioned his NT's didn't have to be huge, which is fine, but I just can't see Mitchell or Cody being as dominant as the 3-4 needs. And, I'm sorry, but I don't see any position where Okoye would fit in. Especially if Mario and Smith are our DE's. Trade him!
Old 01-22-2011   #83
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 23664 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The Browns are hiring Juaron as their DC, which means they'll likely be switching to a 4-3. Maybe we could send Okoye and somebody else there for Ahtyba Rubin? Or maybe even Shaun Rogers?

I think Rubin's only 24-25 years old and he ended up starting ahead of Rogers. He had a very good year for a NT.

I know Wade has mentioned his NT's didn't have to be huge, which is fine, but I just can't see Mitchell or Cody being as dominant as the 3-4 needs. And, I'm sorry, but I don't see any position where Okoye would fit in. Especially if Mario and Smith are our DE's. Trade him!
Shaun Rogers
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5508

Haloti Ngata
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/...cfesqE2CX.uLYF

Casey Hampton
http://sports.yahoo.com
/nfl/players/5466

Just comparing the numbers of Rogers to a couple of the better DT, Rogers seems pretty solid, but might be a bit more "long in the tooth" then the other two.
Old 01-22-2011   #84
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Shaun Rogers is 31 years old. He could play another 4-5 years. I say, get him then draft a mid round NT(say 4th-5th round) to learn from a wily vet. Within 4 years, the rook will be ready to go.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #85
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

I have to agree with the bold - 0k0ye is best suited as an end in the 3-4 and with MW and AS as the starters he's probably not worth keeping around.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #86
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I have to agree with the bold - 0k0ye is best suited as an end in the 3-4 and with MW and AS as the starters he's probably not worth keeping around.
Uh.....was Okoye worth keeping around in the 4/3?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #87
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I'm not sure that the Texans could have unloaded him, really at any point in time without accepting a nice chunk of $$$. That would have been the smart thing to do early........not taking him at 10 would have been smartest. However, you know, this is a "oil" town...........McNair and company always looking for that "long shot" to come in............though usually looking at just a big hole when it's all said and done.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2011   #88
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 13325 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
This. I would hope we could trade Okoye, but the reality is that there isn't one GM in the league that's going to look at the film on him and pull the trigger on anything more than maybe (MAYBE) a 5th. Okoye's a FA in 2012. Give Wade a year to find something to do with him and then let him find his way to the NFL bargain bin.
Old 01-22-2011   #89
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

What scares me is wade will try and take our current roster and make it into a 3-4 It doesnot work that way u got to turn over at least forty to fifty percent of or d to bring in wades 3-4 people to have something IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #90
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

An old article........but applicable.

Rex Ryan monitoring Bills' 3-4 switch
Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan is keeping an eye on the Buffalo Bills' defensive makeover.

The Bills are converting from a 4-3 defense under new head coach Chan Gailey and coordinator George Edwards. That will turn the AFC East into a unanimous 3-4 division.

The Bills ran a Tampa 2 defense under former head coach Dick Jauron and his interim replacement, Perry Fewell.

Ryan, considered one of the finest 3-4 masterminds, noted the transformation can be smooth. "I guess that depends on 'Are you changing coverages or is it just the front you are changing?'" Ryan said Saturday at the NFL scouting combine in Lucas Oil Stadium. "There are several different versions of a 3-4. But it depends on your style.

"If the coverages are staying the same, it probably is not as big of a change as what you might think."

The problem for Buffalo, however, is that they're missing the centerpiece of a 3-4 defense: a monstrous nose tackle to stuff the run.

"That might be one of the toughest parts of a 3-4," Ryan said.

Ryan went on to explain why.

(Football jargon alert! "Two-gap responsibility" means a defensive lineman is responsible for either opening beside the offensive lineman in front of him. "A-gap" means the area on either side of the center, a location where defensive linemen frequently will get double-teamed by a center and a guard.)

"If you are playing a standard 3-4 defense, then you got a two-gap responsibility, which means you got to be able to play the front-side A-gap and the backside A-gap at the same time," Ryan said.

"You generally need a dominant individual there. And that is what you have like a Kris Jenkins. A Ted Washington many years ago in Buffalo was one of the best two-gappers I have ever seen.

"A guy has to be active, got to be able to stay on his feet, his technique on releasing off of blocks has got to be outstanding. If not, you are really going to struggle at that spot."
The Texans will have to change their coverage.............and they will have to find that "dominant individual" in the middle............or they could look just as "good" as they did in 2010.
Old 01-22-2011   #91
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
There may be a lot of times when MW is playing one of the OLB spots. Then your ends would be AS and Okoye.
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #92
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
An old article........but applicable.

Rex Ryan monitoring Bills' 3-4 switch

The Texans will have to change their coverage.............and they will have to find that "dominant individual" in the middle............or they could look just as "good" as they did in 2010.
Wade doesn't run the "standard" 3-4 where the NT has 2-gap responsibility. That's why he was able to get away with smaller NT's like Jay Ratliff.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #93
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Wade doesn't run the "standard" 3-4 where the NT has 2-gap responsibility. That's why he was able to get away with smaller NT's like Jay Ratliff.
Jay Ratliff is a Pro Bowl player. Maybe Wade was able to "get away with" Ratliff at NT has more to do with Ratliff's ability than size or lack thereof. Ratliffs do not grow on trees. Prior to his stint in Dallas, Wade had a huge NT in Jamal Williams.

Small NTs are the exception rather than the rule in the NFL. The assumption that the Texans will be able to throw anyone at NT and make the defense work is unfounded. Shaun Cody and/or Earl Mitchell are not the likely answer. Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton, B.J. Raji, Kris Jenkins. This is what NFL NTs generally look like.
Old 01-22-2011   #94
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
TPN, I have to agree with Lucky on this one. In a 3-4, even with a "smaller NT" all 3 of the linemen have to be able to "overpower" the opposing OL at one time or another. None of our present DL has shown that ability. Even Mario virtually always take the end around route, seeking the least amount of contact possible. As a DE, that will no longer be his main function. He has not shown us much with power up the middle moves, which he will need to be called to perform with the 3-4.
Old 01-23-2011   #95
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The quote was about the standard 3-4 and Wade has already stated that he doesn't run the standard 3-4. He's already said in interviews that he's not asking his linemen to do the standard 3-4 stand-the-guy-up and hold-down-2-gap philosophy. He's already said that's why he was successful with Bruce Smith as a 3-4 DE and why he was successful with Jay Ratliff as an NT.

Therefore, the quote doesn't really matter. It's not about what our defense is supposed to be, what Wade has said our defense is going to be.

With that said, that doesn't mean that our NT is on the team, yet, and it doesn't mean that there aren't going to be major shakeups in our front 7. But Wade might well be looking for another Ed Jasper (6-2 293).
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #96
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

With Ratliff at NT the Cowgirls defense stunk last yr. They gave up a franchise record in points allowed I think.

So while Ratliff is a good player. He's a stop gap guy until they find somebody better. Granted the Cowgirls secondary as well as the LB's left alot to be desired. But the DL was also a large part of the blame and Ratliff has to be included in its failure.

Phillips is just telling BoB what he wants to hear.

The Texans need to sign a big old nasty DT in FA or bring a guy like Rodgers home. Then draft a guy like Ellis/Taylor/Fua in the 2/3rd rd. If they want to have a successful transition to the 3-4.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #97
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
With Ratliff at NT the Cowgirls defense stunk last yr. They gave up a franchise record in points allowed I think.

So while Ratliff is a good player. He's a stop gap guy until they find somebody better. Granted the Cowgirls secondary as well as the LB's left alot to be desired. But the DL was also a large part of the blame and Ratliff has to be included in its failure.

Phillips is just telling BoB what he wants to hear.

The Texans need to sign a big old nasty DT in FA or bring a guy like Rodgers home. Then draft a guy like Ellis/Taylor/Fua in the 2/3rd rd. If they want to have a successful transition to the 3-4.
this is a concern for me, Dallas needs to address NT position here too & they are selecting two spots ahead of Texans. Washington Redskins are just ahead of Texans in the 2nd (probbably ship Haynesworth out) will be looking hard @ a space eating NT here as well....

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #98
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
this is a concern for me, Dallas needs to address NT position here too & they are selecting two spots ahead of Texans. Washington Redskins are just ahead of Texans in the 2nd (probbably ship Haynesworth out) will be looking hard @ a space eating NT here as well....
Yep

That's why if the Texans are serious they have to get a NT before the 3rd rd.

Either by trading down for an extra 2nd rd pick. Or into the bottom of the 2nd rd.

The Parkers (Wr/DT) and the Carters (NT/OLB) are guys that really impressed me yesterday at the East/West game and probably could be had in rd 4/5.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #99
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Thanks to the clutch win against the Jags, there is no way the Texans land Fairley.

Whether you like Kubes or not you should be glad that the Jags win saved his job. Had we not won that game Wade Phillips might very well be our HC.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #100
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRX4mlFi06A

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read