Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2011   #61
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: For the love of God... We NEED a space eating NT now more than ever!

Fat guys

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=DT

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=DT

OLBs

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...011&genpos=OLB

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...011&genpos=OLB

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=DE

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #62
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: For the love of God... We NEED a space eating NT now more than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Thats about what I expect but MW has so much ability .... You could really create problems by moving him around. He and Barwin on the same side of the field could wreak a lot of havoc.
Yeah, the Patriots would move Richard Seymour all over the line to confuse the protection. I don't know if Williams would be happy being a catalyst and posting Seymour type stats, but I am thinking Phillips' imagination is filled with ways to exploit Williams' versatility.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #63
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
For the record, what ever happened to Frank Okam?
Started for the Bucs towards the end of the season.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #64
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Started for the Bucs towards the end of the season.
I wonder how well he did. Wouldn't surprise me if he was another wasted talent, victim of shitty personnel evaluation by our coaching staff and GM.
Old 01-07-2011   #65
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
I wonder how well he did. Wouldn't surprise me if he was another wasted talent, victim of shitty personnel evaluation by our coaching staff and GM.
Okam stepped in for their injured starting DT and...............

Quote:
RISING
[Dec 29, 2010]

1. Frank Okam, defensive tackle, Buccaneers. It’s only one game, but Okam took a big stride in possibly shedding the underachiever label that’s been with him for most of his career. In Sunday’s victory against Seattle, Okam played a major role in shutting down the running game. With rookie starters Gerald McCoy and Brian Price lost to injuries, Okam stepped in and produced seven tackles, including two for losses. With McCoy, Price and Roy Miller all returning next year, Okam has a good chance to stick around as the fourth tackle for the long haul.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #66
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Poor coaching, poor use of personnel, poor personnel decision making.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #67
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard Wade likes what Cody and Mitchell can potentially bring to the NG position.

You guys might want to hold off on getting that fat body.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2011   #68
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I heard Wade likes what Cody and Mitchell can potentially bring to the NG position.

You guys might want to hold off on getting that fat body.
Where have I heard that before ?? ..... On page two of this thread .... Post #22.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #69
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Our coaching staff sucks.
Old 01-07-2011   #70
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting prospects, Earl. I'd be ok drafting a NT, but only to backup our starter. IMO, a quality starting NT would be one that is experienced and knows all the tricks of NFL interior Olines. Unless of course we end up with a Ndamukong Suh type player who dominates from day 1.

I've watched a Acho play and like the way he plays. I haven't gotten into draft mode yet, but he might be one to be had on the 2nd day. I'm not too familiar with the other 2. I'm sure I be learnin myself of a buncha players in about a month or so. Too much football still going on
Old 01-08-2011   #71
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
YUP!! Okam was released because he was a big fat guy buy the last defensive regime. He didn't quite fit their "smaller and athletic" kinda build...

That said, the Texans should take a look at JB... He's a big ol fat guy!!!!
Take that back TB! JB's not FAT! He's one of the most athleticly cut bourbon guzzelers I've ever had the honor of bourbon guzzeling with!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011   #72
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 13325 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Poor coaching, poor use of personnel, poor personnel decision making.
Shock. Awe. Shock AND Awe.
Old 01-08-2011   #73
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
For the record, what ever happened to Frank Okam?
Okam went to Tampa Bay and had some good games. He made some tackles and he recovered at least 1 fumble. I actually picked him up in my fantasy league and he got me some points.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011   #74
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Our coaching staff sucks.
Don't worry, the Texans fired their DL coach.

What? They kept him, too?

Quote:
Defensive line coach Bill Kollar is keeping his job, even though the pass rush was also an issue.
That's OK. Gary Kubiak is keeping his job, even though clock manangement, game decisions, personnel evaluation, staff selelection, and game planning are still issues.
Old 01-08-2011   #75
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Don't worry, the Texans fired their DL coach.

What? They kept him, too?

That's OK. Gary Kubiak is keeping his job, even though clock manangement, game decisions, personnel evaluation, staff selelection, and game planning are still issues.
Great Avatar

Good ole boys never meanin no harm. McNair/Kubiak/Phillips
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011   #76
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
YUP!! Okam was released because he was a big fat guy buy the last defensive regime. He didn't quite fit their "smaller and athletic" kinda build...

That said, the Texans should take a look at JB... He's a big ol fat guy!!!!

Fat? I ain't fat!

Or, I wasn't 30 years ago...
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011   #77
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2075 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Zierlein looks at the Texans D for 2010 and who fits going foward. Only going to post the 'Moving forward' part.
Quote:
Defensive End:
Moving Forward: As the Texans transition to a 3-4, they will be very happy to have Antonio Smith and Mario Williams as their DEs. The 3-4 DEs have to be tall, with strength and long arms and that is exactly what Mario and Antonio have. 3-4 DEs are more about power and bull-rushing than finesse and "moves" so in that regard, I really like those guys at that DE spot. Barwin will be able to fit in as a 3-4 OLB and a DE when they go to a 4-3 hybrid look. Barwin will probably be best suited as the weak-side OLB on the QBs blind side. Many times, this player will rush the passer more with less coverage responsibilities. Mark Anderson probably isn't a fit any longer in the 3-4, but Jesse Nading might be able to compete for a spot as a 3-4 OLB.

Defensive Tackle:
Moving forward: Cody has the size to be a rotation player at DE or NT, but he's not really suited for those positions full-time. Still, he'll be on the team next year. I could see Earl Mitchell as a rotation player at the nose, but he's not big enough to be a full-time 3-4 nose. Mitchell is quick off the snap and does have some strength so Wade Phillips could probably make use of him. Okoye's short arms and lack of strength at the point of attack mean he probably can't play the nose and he does have the size or length to play the DE spot. My guess is that the Texans will try and trade him unless they feel like they need him to fill a roster spot out. Any way that you look at it, the Texans don't have a classic 3-4 nose on the roster and they will have to draft at least one while searching another out via free agency.

Cornerback:
Moving forward: I feel very comfortable saying that Antuan Molden is gone and it is pretty likely that Brice McCain will be gone as well. I fully expect the Texans to bring in a veteran CB like Ike Taylor or Champ Bailey to be a starter while letting Kareem Jackson fight for the 2nd or 3rd CB spot. I said it before and after he was drafted and I'll say it once again - Glover Quin needs to move to one of the safety positions. While Quin isn't as fluid as you would like turning and running as a corner, he would be an above average safety in terms of coverage and he's tough enough to play either spot in Wade Phillips' defense. By moving Quin to a safety spot, you take care of a position that you've struggled to fill since the inception of your franchise and it would free the Texans to concentrate on drafting another CB in the first three rounds. Jason Allen will probably make the team next year.

Safety:
Moving forward: There will be some people who will wonder out loud if Pollard can play 3-4 OLB and the answer is no. He can, however, play that position in certain exotic packages, but not as a full-time OLB. I do not think it is a lock that Pollard is back. As Wade Phillips knows, box safeties (see Roy Williams) can get you in trouble pretty quickly on the back end of your coverage. Wilson will probably be gone if the Texans bring in a veteran safety or move Quin to safety, but Nolan is likely to get one more year to prove himself because he's young and cheap. As for Dominique Barber, the team has always seemed to like him when he's healthy so my guess is that he's safe next year. This might finally be the year the Texans draft a safety within the top three rounds.

Linebacker:
Moving forward: The first thing the Texans need is for DeMeco Ryans to come back with the same mobility he showed before his achilles injury. If he does that, he'll be a nice fit inside in the 3-4. I know that most people believe Brian Cushing will be a good fit as an OLB in the 3-4, but I'm not so sure I agree. Cushing can play the position, but I don't think he has the edge speed that you want from the position. Instead, I think Cushing is better-suited to play the ILB position where he can thump and the Texans can use him as an effective blitzer inside. I'm sure the Texans could still put together packages that allowed him to rush the passer from the OLB spot from time to time if necessary. Sharpton could be in some trouble trying to make it in this defense over the long haul. He doesn't have the size or physicality that most 3-4 defenses want inside and I doubt he can play outside. Diles might be able to compete for a backup role inside. The Texans definitely need to find an OLB with a presence off the edge either in free agency or the draft and it needs to be one of their top priorities.

Kicker:
Moving forward: I'm sure the Texans would like to have a kicker with more leg than Rackers, but the question is whether or not Kubiak will have the stones to rely on a rookie kicker via the late rounds of the draft. My guess is that the Texans will bring in competition for Rackers but they probably won't spend a draft pick on one.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #78
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Fat? I ain't fat!

Or, I wasn't 30 years ago...
Now that's one handsome sailor JB. Who is it?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #79
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Now that's one handsome sailor JB. Who is it?
Damn if I know! I think that is just one of those standard portraits that come with the frame...
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #80
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Damn if I know! I think that is just one of those standard portraits that come with the frame...
Why does that flag in the background only have 44 stars on it?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read