Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2011   #41
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144827 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: For the love of God... We NEED a space eating NT now more than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I would rather have a FS
I'd rather have both , but if I had to settle on one or the other , give me the FS.
I think this DL is servicable with Shaun Cody at the NT , 0k0ye and Antonio Smith at the ends with MW and Barwin as your OLB's. If Ryans comes back 100% your front 7 is set with he and Cushing in the middle.

A healthy Barwin allows them to do a lot of things due to his unique abilities. He (and MW) are athletic enough to cover TE's , RB's in the flats and we all know both can get to the passer.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #42
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: For the love of God... We NEED a space eating NT now more than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Offer a 5th round pick for Shaun Rogers.
If he isn't being lazy, that's actually a good idea.
Old 01-06-2011   #43
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see the Texans taking a CB or a FS in the first round unless one of Akumara (Is that how you spell his name? ****ing Nebraska I swear) or Peterson is still there at the 11. There are no Eric Berry's or Earl Thomas's in this draft, and my guess is that with all the change in the front 7 on defense, that is where the first pick will go.

Would be thrilled to get Fairley but that dude has been and will be a top 5 pick. We could've had a decent shot at him if we didn't decide to WIN ONE FOR THE ****ING GIPPER LAST SUNDAY YOU ***** TEXANS GODDAMNIT.
Old 01-06-2011   #44
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Wilfork's played all along the line (except DE, obviously) in the Pats hybrid. He actually kicked more ass playing the typical 4-3 DT position.
As did the Ravens Ngata who was drafted to play nose-T but these days spends more time at DE. But I still think of both them as NTs because of their size but with the versitility to play other positions because of their athleticism.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #45
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144827 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't see the Texans taking a CB or a FS in the first round unless one of Akumara (Is that how you spell his name? ****ing Nebraska I swear) or Peterson is still there at the 11. There are no Eric Berry's or Earl Thomas's in this draft, and my guess is that with all the change in the front 7 on defense, that is where the first pick will go.

Would be thrilled to get Fairley but that dude has been and will be a top 5 pick. We could've had a decent shot at him if we didn't decide to WIN ONE FOR THE ****ING GIPPER LAST SUNDAY YOU ***** TEXANS GODDAMNIT.
They could always move up ..... or down.

Its painfully obvious to anyone who has watched the Texans over the years , they have never really had any talent at the FS spot. If they can move down and still get the best FS prospect on the board while aquiring extra picks , I'd do it.
Pollard along with a guy on the opposite side who's skills offset his would be real nice to have - Pending Pollard returns.

If a team picking ahead of the Texans happens to be looking at a QB other than Andrew Luck , they'd likely be willing to move down. I just dont see another QB worth taking in the top 15 picks.

Old 01-06-2011   #46
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
They could always move up ..... or down.

Its painfully obvious to anyone who has watched the Texans over the years , they have never really had any talent at the FS spot. If they can move down and still get the best FS prospect on the board while aquiring extra picks , I'd do it.
Pollard along with a guy on the opposite side who's skills offset his would be real nice to have - Pending Pollard returns.

If a team picking ahead of the Texans happens to be looking at a QB other than Andrew Luck , they'd likely be willing to move down. I just dont see another QB worth taking in the top 15 picks.
I haven't seen this regime move up before, but being in the 11 spot means we're probably sacrificing a bit of our draft in order to get one guy. Not sure if our 3 headed monster of a front office is going to see our roster as being good enough for one player to put it over the top like that.

As far as moving down, to me that's just something that happens on draft day if things fall the right/wrong way for this particular team. I don't think they are going to go in with the idea of trading down no matter who is available at the time but who knows.

Also this is before the combine or even who has officially declared and all that. You might not see any other top 15 picks, but that doesn't mean come April, Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert isn't up there jockeying for a top 10 or 15 spot.
Old 01-06-2011   #47
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Phillips brings in a one gap 3-4 scheme, we still may not get the big space eater.

At least with the introduction of the 3-4 (which by the way I LOVE) it once again enters the discussion.
Old 01-06-2011   #48
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: For the love of God... We NEED a space eating NT now more than ever!

John McClain anyone?
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #49
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Also this is before the combine or even who has officially declared and all that. You might not see any other top 15 picks, but that doesn't mean come April, Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert isn't up there jockeying for a top 10 or 15 spot.
I agree with that .... Was more an opinion than fact based upon their body of work during their college career's.
I do think both of those guy's make better NFL QB's than Cameron who it seems will change positions anyway - to where ?! who knows.

Old 01-06-2011   #50
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd rather have both , but if I had to settle on one or the other , give me the FS.
I think this DL is servicable with Shaun Cody at the NT , 0k0ye and Antonio Smith at the ends with MW and Barwin as your OLB's. If Ryans comes back 100% your front 7 is set with he and Cushing in the middle.

A healthy Barwin allows them to do a lot of things due to his unique abilities. He (and MW) are athletic enough to cover TE's , RB's in the flats and we all know both can get to the passer.
I don't see any way possible they put Mario at OLB...

He's is athletic, but he isn't that type of athletic...No way he can cover a TE man to man...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #51
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

He's is athletic, but he isn't that type of athletic...No way he can cover a TE man to man...
They have had him drop into coverage often enough .... I could easily see him in the Demarcus Ware role .

You are probably correct tho , he likely winds up as a DE in any scheme they run.

Old 01-06-2011   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They have had him drop into coverage often enough .... I could easily see him in the Demarcus Ware role .

You are probably correct tho , he likely winds up as a DE in any scheme they run.
When he drops back it's some type of Zone coverage...

I doubt he's ever covered anyone man to man in an NFL game....

Can you imagine Mario trying to check Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates, or even our own Owen Daniels?

Probably wouldn't have very many LB's covering those guys anyways, but that'd be a match-up that I'd hate to get caught in even every once in a while. I just don't think Mario has the hips or the acceleration and change of direction speed to start at OLB...

Not saying he could never rush from that position or drop into coverage from there....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #53
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: For the love of God... We NEED a space eating NT now more than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
We have been angry with the front office for years over this, a big body in the middle. This should be the year we get a big boy on the front line of our defense.

Let the sunshine in...
Let the sunshine in...

Err, we're going to go small and athletic.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #54
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

For the record, what ever happened to Frank Okam?
Old 01-06-2011   #55
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
For the record, what ever happened to Frank Okam?
Okam was cut I believe.

Old 01-06-2011   #56
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okam was cut I believe.
I know this much, but why exactly? He was certainly fat enough for what we're looking for now.
Old 01-06-2011   #57
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
I know this much, but why exactly? He was certainly fat enough for what we're looking for now.
The term that was thrown around at the time was that he didnt fit the system.

Depending on what they want to do in this version of the 3-4 he still may not fit the system.

Old 01-06-2011   #58
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I expect Wade will utilize Mario the same way he did Bruce Smith, Right Defensive End.
Old 01-06-2011   #59
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

YUP!! Okam was released because he was a big fat guy buy the last defensive regime. He didn't quite fit their "smaller and athletic" kinda build...

That said, the Texans should take a look at JB... He's a big ol fat guy!!!!
Old 01-06-2011   #60
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I expect Wade will utilize Mario the same way he did Bruce Smith, Right Defensive End.
Thats about what I expect but MW has so much ability .... You could really create problems by moving him around. He and Barwin on the same side of the field could wreak a lot of havoc.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read