Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

For the love of God... We NEED a space eating NT now more than ever!

Shaft75

All Pro
We have been angry with the front office for years over this, a big body in the middle. This should be the year we get a big boy on the front line of our defense.

Let the sunshine in...
Let the sunshine in...

:clap:

We have been angry with the front office for years over this, a big body in the middle. This should be the year we get a big boy on the front line of our defense.

Let the sunshine in...
Let the sunshine in...

Better hope it's a FA of some kind, because if they expect a rookie to come in and man the nose in a 3-4 it could be awfully ugly here again.

I dunno...Jay Ratliff played 3-4 as their NT...at 6-4, 300...which isn't near the space eater that more 3-4s covet.

It's going to one interesting off-season.

images

Get a couple of fat bodies, but start Mario there. Let Amobi and Smith play the ends. That way you can start off upgrading your DB's and LB's and also upgrading your interior O-line and receivers...

I dunno...Jay Ratliff played 3-4 as their NT...at 6-4, 300...which isn't near the space eater that more 3-4s covet.

It's going to one interesting off-season.

Yeah, and at San Diego, he had 348 lb. (cough, cough) Jamal Williams.

Both Ratliff and Williams are/were pro-bowlers, so it will be interesting to see what we end up with. It's kind of nice to know that there's not just one kind of guy who can fit Wade's defense at that position.

Get a couple of fat bodies, but start Mario there. Let Amobi and Smith play the ends. That way you can start off upgrading your DB's and LB's and also upgrading your interior O-line and receivers...

Where on the interior line though? RG?

Center and Left Guard were great this year compared to years past.

That guy might actually be on the team right now ..... Shaun Cody had a pretty damn good season. I think he was the best player on the DL for much of the year. Made plays all over the field.

Ive stated this a dozen times or more here but it's always overlooked ....

The main problem with this defensive front is what the DT's are asked to do which is penetrate rather than push the pocket what this has done is always left a place for the QB to step up away from the outside rush which just gets run right by on the back side. They have always left angles for the QB because of what they have been asked to do ....

Maybe a change in scheme and responsibility is what this defensive front needs. Especially 0k0ye , I think he's better suited to a 3-4 DE rather than a 4-3 DT .....

I was thinking RG or even a RT and moving Winston to RG...

It seems that Winston has been suspect at times this year...

I think both of our T's would be better G's. Brown would be an pro bowler on the inside.

Let the sunshine in...
Let the sunshine in...

Just a fat guy... That's what we need, especially since we'll go to the 3-4.... A big fat, fat guy!! A Vince Wilfork...

vince-wilfork.jpg

Put some money up:

Nick Fairly (Auburn)Height: 6-4

Weight: 315
40-Yard Dash: 4.90

Strengths:
Incredible combination of size, speed, and athletic ability
Uses hands very effectively, long arms
Disruptive run stuffer, often getting to the ball carrier in the backfield
Explosive pass rusher, great first step and burst off the line
Can get to the quarterback using his strength on the bull rush, but also has a nice arsenal of pass-rushing moves that take advantage of his athletic ability
Consistently splits gaps and double teams
Has the agility and speed to chase string plays out from sideline to sideline
Great snap anticipation, often the first player off the line
Good closing burst on tackles

Weaknesses:There are no significant weaknesses in Fairley's game that I can see at this time.

Bottom Line on Nick Fairley:Nick Fairley is an elite prospect at defensive tackle who should quickly develop into an impact player in the NFL. His overall size and athletic ability are rare, which is why he will go very high in the draft. He also has the versatility to play in any system. He's equally devastating against the run and as a pass rusher, and has Pro Bowl potential written all over him.

Projection: Fairly should be a top-five pick in 2011 if he decides to leave school early

Weaknesses:There are no significant weaknesses in Fairley's game that I can see at this time.

Man, you've got to love seeing that :)

I don't want to see Fairley in a 3-4 at all. I think he will do very well in a 4-3, think Warren Sapp. But he would surely do fine as a 3-4 nose.

If you're gonna have your nose tackle play a 2-gap then you want somebody like Wilfork, but if he's in the gap (a 1-gapper), as Wade did in Dallas where he used the "smallish" Ratliff, then we don't need a "space eater".

Man, you've got to love seeing that :)

I don't want to see Fairley in a 3-4 at all. I think he will do very well in a 4-3, think Warren Sapp. But he would surely do fine as a 3-4 nose.

Thanks to the clutch win against the Jags, there is no way the Texans land Fairley.

I would rather have a FS

Probably no one worth a 1st.

A pass rushing OLB will probably be the pick. I see Cush going inside, and there is way too much risk of Barwin flopping due to injury

If you're gonna have your nose tackle play a 2-gap then you want somebody like Wilfork, but if he's in the gap (a 1-gapper), as Wade did in Dallas where he used the "smallish" Ratliff, then we don't need a "space eater".

Wilfork's played all along the line (except DE, obviously) in the Pats hybrid. He actually kicked more ass playing the typical 4-3 DT position.

I would rather have a FS

I'd rather have both , but if I had to settle on one or the other , give me the FS.
I think this DL is servicable with Shaun Cody at the NT , 0k0ye and Antonio Smith at the ends with MW and Barwin as your OLB's. If Ryans comes back 100% your front 7 is set with he and Cushing in the middle.

A healthy Barwin allows them to do a lot of things due to his unique abilities. He (and MW) are athletic enough to cover TE's , RB's in the flats and we all know both can get to the passer.

I don't see the Texans taking a CB or a FS in the first round unless one of Akumara (Is that how you spell his name? ****ing Nebraska I swear) or Peterson is still there at the 11. There are no Eric Berry's or Earl Thomas's in this draft, and my guess is that with all the change in the front 7 on defense, that is where the first pick will go.

Would be thrilled to get Fairley but that dude has been and will be a top 5 pick. We could've had a decent shot at him if we didn't decide to WIN ONE FOR THE ****ING GIPPER LAST SUNDAY YOU ***** TEXANS GODDAMNIT.

Wilfork's played all along the line (except DE, obviously) in the Pats hybrid. He actually kicked more ass playing the typical 4-3 DT position.

As did the Ravens Ngata who was drafted to play nose-T but these days spends more time at DE. But I still think of both them as NTs because of their size but with the versitility to play other positions because of their athleticism.

I don't see the Texans taking a CB or a FS in the first round unless one of Akumara (Is that how you spell his name? ****ing Nebraska I swear) or Peterson is still there at the 11. There are no Eric Berry's or Earl Thomas's in this draft, and my guess is that with all the change in the front 7 on defense, that is where the first pick will go.

Would be thrilled to get Fairley but that dude has been and will be a top 5 pick. We could've had a decent shot at him if we didn't decide to WIN ONE FOR THE ****ING GIPPER LAST SUNDAY YOU ***** TEXANS GODDAMNIT.

They could always move up ..... or down.

Its painfully obvious to anyone who has watched the Texans over the years , they have never really had any talent at the FS spot. If they can move down and still get the best FS prospect on the board while aquiring extra picks , I'd do it.
Pollard along with a guy on the opposite side who's skills offset his would be real nice to have - Pending Pollard returns.

If a team picking ahead of the Texans happens to be looking at a QB other than Andrew Luck , they'd likely be willing to move down. I just dont see another QB worth taking in the top 15 picks.

They could always move up ..... or down.

Its painfully obvious to anyone who has watched the Texans over the years , they have never really had any talent at the FS spot. If they can move down and still get the best FS prospect on the board while aquiring extra picks , I'd do it.
Pollard along with a guy on the opposite side who's skills offset his would be real nice to have - Pending Pollard returns.

If a team picking ahead of the Texans happens to be looking at a QB other than Andrew Luck , they'd likely be willing to move down. I just dont see another QB worth taking in the top 15 picks.

I haven't seen this regime move up before, but being in the 11 spot means we're probably sacrificing a bit of our draft in order to get one guy. Not sure if our 3 headed monster of a front office is going to see our roster as being good enough for one player to put it over the top like that.

As far as moving down, to me that's just something that happens on draft day if things fall the right/wrong way for this particular team. I don't think they are going to go in with the idea of trading down no matter who is available at the time but who knows.

Also this is before the combine or even who has officially declared and all that. You might not see any other top 15 picks, but that doesn't mean come April, Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert isn't up there jockeying for a top 10 or 15 spot.

If Phillips brings in a one gap 3-4 scheme, we still may not get the big space eater.

At least with the introduction of the 3-4 (which by the way I LOVE) it once again enters the discussion.

Also this is before the combine or even who has officially declared and all that. You might not see any other top 15 picks, but that doesn't mean come April, Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert isn't up there jockeying for a top 10 or 15 spot.

I agree with that .... Was more an opinion than fact based upon their body of work during their college career's.
I do think both of those guy's make better NFL QB's than Cameron who it seems will change positions anyway - to where ?! who knows.

I'd rather have both , but if I had to settle on one or the other , give me the FS.
I think this DL is servicable with Shaun Cody at the NT , 0k0ye and Antonio Smith at the ends with MW and Barwin as your OLB's. If Ryans comes back 100% your front 7 is set with he and Cushing in the middle.

A healthy Barwin allows them to do a lot of things due to his unique abilities. He (and MW) are athletic enough to cover TE's , RB's in the flats and we all know both can get to the passer.

I don't see any way possible they put Mario at OLB...

He's is athletic, but he isn't that type of athletic...No way he can cover a TE man to man...

Back