Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-04-2011   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default SM's sticking with the 4-3 mock

Enjoy. Let me know what you think.

Round 1) Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State - 1800 yards and 20 touchdowns. Dallas found a way to get Dez Bryant involved with Austin, Williams and Witten. Houston can cut the cord with Jones and slide Blackmon in. 6-1, 207, and can make spectacular catches all over the field.

Round 2) Quinton Carter, FS, Oklahoma - Very physical safety who picked off 4 passes, and defended 6.

Round 3) Sam Acho, DE/OLB, Texas - Very quick and very well coached. Sam will provide speed in the pass rush game and force turnovers.

Round 4) Ian Williams, DT/NT, Notre Dame - Missed last 4 games due to injury, but could be a steal in round 4 if he can get healthy. Will see more at the combine which he was invited to.

Round 5) Jalil Brown, CB, Colorado - Sr who picked off 3 passes, defended 4, and racked up 36 tackles. Has good size at 6-0, 205, but needs work, maybe the new coaching staff can get him on track.

Round 6) Chas Henry, P, Florida - Won the Ray Guy award as nations top punter. 45.06 average. Comes down to preference here. But I will take the Florida punter.

Round 7) Jonas Mouton, OLB, Michigan - Might shoot up in the draft. 6'1" 228lbs. 2 picks, 2 sacks, and 60 tackles on the year for a miserable RichRod defense.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: SM's sticking with the 4-3 mock

One thing I think we have to consider when working on anything draft related is Demeco Ryans recovery. How long is the process ? How much will it affect him going forward ?
If he's not 100% by the begining of the season you almost have to make a move to fill the void in either the draft or FA.
If the injury is going to reduce him considerably .... you have to make a move as well.

4-2 with 2-8 without says a lot to me ....

The one thing that might keep you from making this move is that you think there will not be NFL Football next year at all .... then you have another year of recovery time and another years draft class. But thats a hell of a risk to take for a coach and front office who are on the hot seat.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #3
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
One thing I think we have to consider when working on anything draft related is Demeco Ryans recovery. How long is the process ? How much will it affect him going forward ?
If he's not 100% by the begining of the season you almost have to make a move to fill the void in either the draft or FA.
If the injury is going to reduce him considerably .... you have to make a move as well.

4-2 with 2-8 without says a lot to me ....

The one thing that might keep you from making this move is that you think there will not be NFL Football next year at all .... then you have another year of recovery time and another years draft class. But thats a hell of a risk to take for a coach and front office who are on the hot seat.
I considered Greg Jones in the 2nd, he could play ILB or OLB. But you would have to give up the FS, or pass rusher.
Old 01-04-2011   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Use the compensatory pick we get for Dunta on LB. Probably a 3rd, but at least a 5th.
Old 01-04-2011   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad your sticking to your 4-3 mock. everybody else is preparing with 3-4 mocks, its sometimes fun to be the lone wolf in the pack.

Regardless if it is a 4-3 or 3-4 mock the first pick should upgrade the DL. Clearly you identified key positions that need upgraded with quality prospects across the board even though I doubt Kubiak opts to go with 2 #1 big money WR's.

I would keep an eye out to upgrade Texans #2 WR later in 3rd/4th rd. for example, really like that hokie junior split end Jarrett Boykin. nice big, soft hands shreads coverage & shows big play ability to extend drives, nice compliment to Andre.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #6
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Use the compensatory pick we get for Dunta on LB. Probably a 3rd, but at least a 5th.
I wasnt sure how it would grade out with the Wade Smith addition. But ill keep an eye on it.
Old 01-05-2011   #7
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be content with a draft like that. Blackmon schooled Prince Amukamara and having him as AJs #2 is a deadly one-two punch for the Texans passing attack.

Jonas Mouton is a low risk, high reward OLB who has experience in covering receivers in the 3-3-5 defense he played for.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2011   #8
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm glad your sticking to your 4-3 mock. everybody else is preparing with 3-4 mocks, its sometimes fun to be the lone wolf in the pack.

Regardless if it is a 4-3 or 3-4 mock the first pick should upgrade the DL. Clearly you identified key positions that need upgraded with quality prospects across the board even though I doubt Kubiak opts to go with 2 #1 big money WR's.

I would keep an eye out to upgrade Texans #2 WR later in 3rd/4th rd. for example, really like that hokie junior split end Jarrett Boykin. nice big, soft hands shreads coverage & shows big play ability to extend drives, nice compliment to Andre.
If I was going to pass on Blackmon it would be for a secondary player.

Stephen Paea in the first is intriguing. But there are some decent D tackles that will be available in rounds 2 and 3.

Lets fix the D line for good!

1 Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama (6'3" 309)
2 Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina (6'3" 310)
3 Sione Fua, DT, Stanford (6'2" 306)
4 Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame (6'3" 305)
5 Punter
6 Punter
7 Punter
Old 01-06-2011   #9
Blake
MMQB

Well son of a *****. I cant see Wade keeping the 4-3...
Old 01-06-2011   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

3 punters? Awesome. Turk is the David Carr of punters.
Old 01-12-2011   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a huge Sam Acho fan. That kid can play ball, and he's intelligent as hell too.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #12
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm a huge Sam Acho fan. That kid can play ball, and he's intelligent as hell too.
Agreed. Sam would be a very good pass rush OLB in case we dont go pass rush OLB in the first round.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read