Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2011   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario Williams: bleh... I'm tiring of him

When asked about Wade Phillips possibly being the new DC for the Texans, this was his response... and, I'm not happy about it:

http://www.texansbullblog.com/mario-killing/news/
Old 01-04-2011   #2
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Mario Williams: bleh... I'm tiring of him

He's just a bit concerned...calm down man....however, I get your point. But, I can't fault him for that.
Old 01-04-2011   #3
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
When asked about Wade Phillips possibly being the new DC for the Texans, this was his response... and, I'm not happy about it:

Still on the "I hate Mario" march huh? reaching for straws, bro, reaching for straws...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think that Mario may have good reason to be concerned about a 3-4. He has had decent sack numbers over the years. But he is not the "dominant" DE that we were hoping for him to be. He has virtually NEVER tended to "take over" a game in the 4-3. In a 3-4, the DE is not necessarily going to get that many sacks because the DE is more supposed to act as a work horse to "tie up" the OL and allow for the LBs to get in there to consumate the sacks. Mario may feel that she should be more of the "show horse" than the "work horse."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
He's just a bit concerned...calm down man....however, I get your point. But, I can't fault him for that.
I was thrilled when we drafted him. I was very supportive of him as a rookie and through 2008. I doubt that I criticized him once last season. I know he was trying to play through a hernia this season, but, as I watched the season (not being informed of his injury), I really struggled with what appeared to be a lack of effort. Perhaps it was due to his injury. Perhaps 2009's mediocrity was due to his shoulder injury and his 2006 season was a result of his foot injury.

Still, though, come on! After 4 years of awful defense and one average season as a defensive unit in 2009, how can a true competitor be worried about how a major coaching upgrade will affect his personal statistics (it shouldn't, at the least, be his primary consideration).
Old 01-04-2011   #6
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Some people are averse to change. I'm not terribly worked up about this.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Still on the "I hate Mario" march huh? reaching for straws, bro, reaching for straws...
Find the word "hate" (or a synonym) on anything I have ever written regarding Mario Williams. You won't!
Old 01-04-2011   #8
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Like the poster above me, I can see you're still making a habit of hating on Mario. edit: BullNation4Life I mean

In this case, he has a pretty good reason to be concerned. He is a 4-3 DE and that's about all there is to it. Moving him to 3-4 DE or OLB is a huge change and one that might never work out. Of all the people on the defense that are worth a shit, he is the one that should be worried most.
Old 01-04-2011   #9
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't blame Mario for being ....wait for it....Wary.

Thank you, thank you...I'll be here all week. Be sure and tip your waitress.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
Like the poster above me, I can see you're still making a habit of hating on Mario. edit: BullNation4Life I mean

In this case, he has a pretty good reason to be concerned. He is a 4-3 DE and that's about all there is to it. Moving him to 3-4 DE or OLB is a huge change and one that might never work out. Of all the people on the defense that are worth a shit, he is the one that should be worried most.
Did you read the story? I laid out Bruce Smith's accomplishments under the same system- past his prime. He was with Wade Smith from age 32-36. All four seasons, playing in Wade's 3-4 defense as RDE, he never had less than 10 sacks. Oh, and Bruce Smith was about 20 lbs lighter than Mario and a much better speed rusher. If anyone should've been concerned about such a switch, it would be someone with an edge rush. Mario does not have one. He's a bull-rusher that "can't handle" being moved inside (at least that is what the Texans coaches decided in late 2006). Now, Antonio moves all over the line (though he weighs less than Mario) and Mario only plays on the edge.
Old 01-04-2011   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Mario but have thoughts he might not be very productive in 3-4. I'll get clobbered for this but we need to look at trades for him and Cushing. I am also uneasy about Cush in coverage but maybe with 4 LBs he will not be called on that much. How does Barwin (if healthy) project in 3-4?
Old 01-04-2011   #12
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Find the word "hate" (or a synonym) on anything I have ever written regarding Mario Williams. You won't!
Sure about that? and I quote...

"There were another half dozen or more plays we could have added that would’ve shown the same lack of interest and intensity from Mario. The best hope I have is that he’s INJURED. Otherwise, I have to hate the guy!"

here is the like to your own blog...

http://www.texansbullblog.com/wrong-...olated-review/

like I said, still on the "I hate Mario" march...March on young soldier, march on...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #13
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How does Barwin (if healthy) project in 3-4?
I'm fairly certain that Barwin would move to OLB.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #14
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 89488 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Me thinks the lady (in this case the poster) doth protest too much.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #15
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 79515 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't 2011 the last year of his contract? I don't blame him for not wanting a change. At least we know he'll be working his ass off.
Old 01-04-2011   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Isn't 2011 the last year of his contract? I don't blame him for not wanting a change. At least we know he'll be working his ass off.
Yes it is.
Old 01-04-2011   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think anyone who's played football before would understand what Mario's thinking. I don't know if you've played or not, but I know I'd be worried when I played in a 4-3 for so many years and was going to be forced to play inside.
Old 01-04-2011   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
I'm fairly certain that Barwin would move to OLB.
I think he'd be a good one too. That is, if he's able to return to full health and is confident in his leg.
Old 01-04-2011   #19
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Mario may feel that she should be more of the "show horse" than the "work horse."
The Mario Motivation Thread is that way -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I like Mario but have thoughts he might not be very productive in 3-4. I'll get clobbered for this but we need to look at trades for him and Cushing. I am also uneasy about Cush in coverage but maybe with 4 LBs he will not be called on that much. How does Barwin (if healthy) project in 3-4?
Mario, if there's one thing he tends to do exceptionally, is a great run-stopper. That spells success for a 3-4 DE. As far as statistics go he might not have awesome numbers, but I have no doubt he would be successful were there a great pass rusher behind him, also.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh. The grass is always greener on the other side isnt it?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read