Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2004   #1
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn
Default Miller or Bruener?

I think Bruener will bring our running game to the next level, look for Hollings/Davis to have great season!!!
HardCoreTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #2
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I would think the emphasis will be on the run with the pickup of Breuner. DC wants to control the clock and time of possession. We may have receivers, but I really think that our whole focus will be on the run. If you add Wade to that mix, I think it becomes a glaring obvious. In addition most of the offseason trades and the draft empasized defense. Again, the run is used to control the clock and time of possession. I'm looking for a very annemic passing attack this year. Some of you are going to yell at me, but I think as the preseason unfolds you will find that is the case. The only think that will change that plan is injuries to DC and Hollings.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

both (all 3 actually). i think we're going to see a ton of two te sets this season. my guess is miller will begin the season as our #1 with bruener as #2 and joppru #3. i think that's going to evaporate very quickly and any "starting job" will be gone. as the season progresses i think we're going to see more of joppru on first and second down with miller on passing downs and miller and bruener mainly on two te sets as there's an extreme contrast between em. i think bruener's going to be mainly on the right side where we'll be running predominantly and runs left behind miller will be more of a changeup. my guess is if we're getting down to the wire in a close game, miller will be the guy gets most of the snaps and our redzone offense is going to be built around bruener. might be totally off but it's fun to try & predict.
Old 06-12-2004   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Palmer likes to pass the ball and stretch the field and I see him doing that this year.

I like Miller better then Breuner because of his ability to catch the ball. But more importantly, if anyone if going to win the job over Miller it better be Joppru.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i'm a miller fan like non-other...the relationship him and carr has on the field gives carr that go to guy in pinch...his blocking isn't that good and that is why bruener and joppru were brought in...a good rotation better those three will be good for us...and i really don't see us having a real starter at tight end due to that rotation
Old 06-12-2004   #6
TexasAggie
Rookie

Thumbs up

I am betting it is Breuner to start with Miller and Joppru coming in for special situations.
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #7
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Miller will start. He's been with the team two years and knows the scheme of things. Bruener and Benny will probably rotate the other TE position in 2 TE sets. Miller has good hands, Bruener the better blocker. Benny's gotta prove what he can do coming back from injury. A lot will have to do with what DC (Capers) has up his sleeve. DC (Carr) is comfortable with his man Miller.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2004   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie
I am betting it is Breuner to start with Miller and Joppru coming in for special situations.
I'll take that bet. I'm thinking the opposite: Miller or Joppru starting, Bruener coming in for special situations. If the Texans start the game in 2 TE sets, Miller & Joppru could both start. Besides, who wants Bruener play 30 plays a game and wearing out or becoming injured before the end of the season? The Texans will need a healthy Bruener when they play a playoff game in a cold weather city, right?
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Bruener starting on the right side and getting most of the reps with Joppru spelling him. I see Miller on the left side on 2 TE sets just like last year. There could be several combinations, i.e., Bruener or Joppru right in single TE or Bruener right - Miller or Joppru left in double TE. One thing I don't think you'll see is Miller right unless it's a double TE right where he would be the outside guy.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004   #10
aggiejacob
Rookie

I think the best thing for DC would be if Miller DOESN'T play as much. That would force David to look for other WRs.
aggiejacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejacob
I think the best thing for DC would be if Miller DOESN'T play as much. That would force David to look for other WRs.
No, that would just make him look to DD more, and I have repeately stated I dont want as many drop downs next year to DD. Banks was the best at getting production from all the WR.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 06-13-2004   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That would be just fine, when our other WR's learn to hold on to the ball! Johnson and Bradford BOTH had nimble fingers last year.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004   #13
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
Johnson and Bradford BOTH had nimble fingers last year.
Bradford only had one drop last year according to a stat that infantrycak got

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...1&postcount=17

Old 06-13-2004   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

And AJ had ten, which is only one more than Randy Moss had. Might not be the droppers we think they are.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[AJ]'s worked hard to improve his hands.
This may have been overlooked in the McClain Q & A debate. AJ was visibly distraught on several occasions last year about drops. Hopefully his off-season work will put this issue behind him.
Old 06-14-2004   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, that some of those drops were bad, but you must agree that Carr has a cannon for an arm, and could have thrown them too hard for the distance.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe your wish is coming true even with Miller on the field:

Quote:
Yes, David Carr is zipping the ball downfield with ease. Yes, Andre Johnson and Corey Bradford are catching the ball in stride. Yes, the Texans' offense appears to be humming as we approach the end of the team's off-season work.

But in the issue of fairness, we interrupt this offensive lovefest to bring in a dissenting view.

"David's got so comfortable on offense and the receivers have gotten so much better he's taking away a lot of my balls right now," tight end Billy Miller said Tuesday. "They're completing a lot of stuff downfield. I'm protesting David Carr getting better."
Good to see the Texans have an off-season sense of humor. From a Carter Toole piece on houstontexans.com.
Old 06-15-2004   #18
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Maybe your wish is coming true even with Miller on the field
But during the season Carr will start dumping it down to DD

Old 06-15-2004   #19
done88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
This may have been overlooked in the McClain Q & A debate. AJ was visibly distraught on several occasions last year about drops. Hopefully his off-season work will put this issue behind him.
Maybe time with carr alone will help decrease drops. It takes a lot of getting used to to handle the ball he throws. This is especially important when it come to AJ because he is the go to guy. When Carr is in trouble he puts a litttle more on it just by nature. Aj has to handle that and its a learning experience. Also last year was bith Carr and AJ learning where AJ should be this year will be all about timing. Last yesr AJ wa open and Carr did not see him and Carr put the ball in the open area and AJ was a little behind. With time timing will come and the cath will be that much eaiser.
Old 06-15-2004   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone remember the Jville game at home where we were like on the 1 yrd line and Gaff was wide open in the back of endzone doing jumping jacks and Carr threw it in the corner to Andre Johnson and thankfully a pass interference call was made?

That is the only real time I remember Carr making a real bad decision but then again I am not there to see it in person. My thing is that I hope he can make those kind of plays this year as opposed to having to come down to the wire on some plays.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read