Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2011   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default The Curious Case of Benjamin Tate

Our 2nd round draft choice missed the entire regular season, and the guy he was gonna compete with for a starting job won the NFL rushing title. Then we signed Derrick Ward to replace Tate and he became a quality backup. If Tate recovers fully for next year and is as good as we thought he'd be when drafted, what direction does that take the Texans' offense?

Can we now gameplan like we did in the first Indy game and last Jags game where we run the ball down opposing teams' throats and only release the passing attack when we feel like it. Allowing Schaub to not have to force balls because he's spending most of his day handing the ball off to 3 quality NFL RBs who are pounding away at a defense.

Perhaps every 5th play we go long to AJ just to keep them off balance? Maybe put our 5 or 6 TEs to use by running a base 2 TE formation with lots of 3 TE looks because our top 4 TEs are threats to catch (excluding Hill who I put # 5)?

There is enough discussion on our coaching staff, now lets talk about what was once a weakness (RB) but is now in position to be the team's biggest strength.

PS: I don't think Slaton makes the team next year... hence the omission,
Old 01-04-2011   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Curious Case of Benjamin Tate

there is a good chance Ward leaves via free agency and/or Texans trade Slaton for player/draft pick too!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
there is a good chance Ward leaves via free agency and/or Texans trade Slaton for player/draft pick too!
I guess it's possible we lose both Ward and Slaton, but still, having Foster and Tate would be good. I'd really like to see them keep Ward though, Slaton I don't care.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #4
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16893 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about Mr. Ward's free agency status, but if he does leave, Mr. Tate should step in. We might have a two-headed monster in the backfield in that case.
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #5
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No one is going to trade for Slaton. He'll be released, probably after the preseason
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Best thread in two weeks ....

Quote:

Ward only had 50 carries for 315 yards & 4 TD's.

Not sure thats enough exposure for a team to believe he's the answer as a starter.

I hope Ward stays , I like what he brought to the team. I like how he and Foster worked together. I almost expect to see him back because of the working relationship he and Foster have.

I expect Slaton to be gone one way or another .... He wasnt bad running the ball when given the chance this season but those opportunities were few and far between because of the way the other's performed .... but damn was he abysmal returning kicks. I think they might be able to move Slaton for a late round pick should a team become desperate for help at RB ... Otherwise he likely gets cut.

I dont really know what to expect from Tate coming off a season ending injury , Anything he can give behind Foster and Ward should he stay is gravy for the time being.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
No one is going to trade for Slaton. He'll be released, probably after the preseason
I think they will keep him next year. He is on the books for 2011: $555,000.

We have Foster / Ward / Tate / Slaton

If one gets injured, or Ward doesnt get a new contract we still have 3.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2011   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not counting on Tate. For all we know, this could be a Bennie Joppru rerun.

Some guys are just cursed and never get going in the pros. Until he proves he's not, then I think we should roll with the guys we've already got.

I'd like to see if they could get Slaton involved in the offense again with screens and lining him up out wide.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #9
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish they would've used Slaton more, but really he just had no spot to get the ball. Everything he did, either Ward or Foster did much better. It was also nice not having to worry about fumbling the ball too.

I am interested in seeing what Tate can do, but it's certainly an auspicious way to start an NFL career.
Old 01-04-2011   #10
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I wish they would've used Slaton more, but really he just had no spot to get the ball. Everything he did, either Ward or Foster did much better. It was also nice not having to worry about fumbling the ball too.

I am interested in seeing what Tate can do, but it's certainly an auspicious way to start an NFL career.
I just looked up the stats. Slaton had 19 carries for 93 yards this season.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I'm not counting on Tate. For all we know, this could be a Bennie Joppru rerun.

Some guys are just cursed and never get going in the pros. Until he proves he's not, then I think we should roll with the guys we've already got.

I'd like to see if they could get Slaton involved in the offense again with screens and lining him up out wide.
The Texans and their 2nd rounds picks .

Joppru , Barwin , and Tate .
Old 01-04-2011   #12
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

Injuries happen.

Being 3 deep at RB never hurt anybody.
Old 01-04-2011   #13
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Having four legitimate RBs going into training camp would be good news for the Texans. All four can be kept on the opening day roster, if they make the cut. As far as playing time goes, that is up to the coaches and the players to work out.

Finally, the Texans are going to go into a season without the running back spot being a huge question mark. Personally, I think that is a good thing.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
The Texans and their 2nd rounds picks .

Joppru , Barwin , and Tate .
Add Demeco. Our 2nd round picks are a death sentence.
Old 01-04-2011   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we can let go of Slaton and get a good back in the draft or FA this year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I think we can let go of Slaton and get a good back in the draft or FA this year.
Why, what is the benefit? He averaged 4.9 ypc this season.
Old 01-04-2011   #17
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Our running game has a chance to be the best in the league if the guys can stay healthy next year. Foster, Tate, and Ward should be beastly running game. I hope they do bring back Ward for another year.
Old 01-04-2011   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Keep all four of them and let them battle for a roster spot.
Old 01-04-2011   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

2002 Jabar Gaffney
2003 Bennie Joppru
2003 Tony Hollings
2004 Basically Jason Babin
2005 None - 2nd player drafted by Texans was Vernand Morency
2006 DeMeco Ryans
2007 None. Matt Schaub trade. 2nd player drafted by Texans was Jacoby Jones
2008 None. Matt Schaub trade. 2nd player drafted by Texans was Antwaun Molden
2009 Connor Barwin
2010 Ben Tate
2011 ???
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

If you look at the Bronco history with +1000 yard backs under Dennison, they will need lots of backs. It's the NFL. Injuries happen.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read