Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2011   #1
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is the Texans offense a one half team?

The Texans offense can only play for one half. For the last two years we've heard this repeated a lot around here so I wanted to go and take a look at the numbers.

#3 offense Texans
15 Halves with 10 or fewer points

So the answer appears to be a rather loud and annoyed "YES!"

The next question I asked was "Is that normal?"

So I looked at the top 10 offenses this season to see how they measured up in this category:

All scores are based on box scores. Special teams/defensive scores may increase these numbers(but that would only help my argument).

#1 offense Chargers
10 Halves with 10 or fewer points

#2 offense Eagles
12 Halves with 10 or fewer points

#3 offense Texans

#4 offense Colts
9 Halves with 10 or fewer points

#5 Offense Giants

#6 offense Saints
17 Halves with 10 or fewer points

#7 offense Cowboys

#8 offense Patriots

#9 offense Packers

#10 offense Raiders
16 Halves with 10 or fewer points

I was somewhat surprised since I have often wondered why the Texans can't put two solid halves together like the "good" offenses. It turns out that it isn't abnormal in the least. No team scored eleven or more points in every half, and the best was the Colts with just nine halves with ten or less. Four of the nine teams were better, three equal and two worse.

It's an area where we would all like to see improvement, but it isn't a sign of a bad team/offense.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #2
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is the Texans offense a one half team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
The Texans offense can only play for one half. For the last two years we've heard this repeated a lot around here so I wanted to go and take a look at the numbers.

#3 offense Texans

So I looked at the top 10 offenses this season to see how they measured up in this category:

All scores are based on box scores. Special teams/defensive scores may increase these numbers(but that would only help my argument).

#1 offense Chargers

#2 offense Eagles

#3 offense Texans

#4 offense Colts

#5 Offense Giants

#6 offense Saints

#7 offense Cowboys

#8 offense Patriots

#9 offense Packers

#10 offense Raiders

I was somewhat surprised since I have often wondered why the Texans can't put two solid halves together like the "good" offenses. It turns out that it isn't abnormal in the least. No team scored eleven or more points in every half, and the best was the Colts with just nine halves with ten or less. Four of the nine teams were better, three equal and two worse.

It's an area where we would all like to see improvement, but it isn't a sign of a bad team/offense.
Stats are for losers.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #3
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK. Just kidding.

Very good job actually. This is an example of people being able to use statistics to analyze a situation instead of using a situation to generate statistics. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #4
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Very interesting, of course when you have a defense as bad as ours, there's no room for bad halves unfortunately.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Definately interesting at a glance, but as you yourself mention, there are so many other factors playing in that it 'may' dilute any actual conclusion.

Good indicator though!
Old 01-04-2011   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I was wondering about this perception or was it because we had a one quarter defense
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #7
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post

#3 offense Texans

#1 offense Chargers

#2 offense Eagles

#3 offense Texans

#4 offense Colts

#5 Offense Giants

#6 offense Saints

#7 offense Cowboys

#8 offense Patriots

#9 offense Packers

#10 offense Raiders

lol Great post. All the haters scream "YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE WHOLE GAME STUPIDAK!!!!", yet conveniently only count the first half when it comes to scoring. heheh Really, you couldn't make it up...
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2011   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Definately interesting at a glance, but as you yourself mention, there are so many other factors playing in that it 'may' dilute any actual conclusion.

Good indicator though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I was wondering about this perception or was it because we had a one quarter defense
We're only looking at points.

My argument, is that we have trouble staying on the field. I'd like to know how many 3 & outs we've had as a team, compared to others. I'd like to know how many have we had in one particular half than the other teams.

The Raider game specifically, if we could have stayed on the field as an offense, & not just throw the ball away on third downs... the raiders wouldn't have been close in the first half alone.

The Giants game is another one that bothered me. The defense was truly awful that first half, but they came out in the 3rd Qtr & put a beating on the Giants, causing 2 turnovers & a 3 & out in their first three possessions. We only got 7 points out of that, because the offense couldn't move the ball.... couldn't get into field goal range. The only score, was because our defense put the offense on the 17.

I agree, we need a defense that can do that more often. Heck, a special teams that could get us favorable field position more often would be nice as well....... something else we were missing in 2010.
Old 01-04-2011   #9
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We're only looking at points.

My argument, is that we have trouble staying on the field. I'd like to know how many 3 & outs we've had as a team, compared to others. I'd like to know how many have we had in one particular half than the other teams.
During the Ravens game they showed a graphic that stated we were 2nd behind JAX with fewest 3 and outs in the league. I don't think it changed too much from that point.
Old 01-04-2011   #10
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 62368 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
lol Great post. All the haters scream "YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE WHOLE GAME STUPIDAK!!!!", yet conveniently only count the first half when it comes to scoring. heheh Really, you couldn't make it up...
^.....gonna need a plunger for this one..... :flush:

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #11
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 9556 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I take it you believe everything will be fixed and we are play-off bound with a real defense? Is this right?
Dishman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the time and effort, Goatcheese. Interesting. +Rep
Old 01-04-2011   #13
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice research.

One thing I've thought about with our "1 half" of offense is that it might be because the defense is giving up long, time wasting drives that leaves the offense with little time to generate anything. A lack of scoring isn't always a result of a bad offense, but a case of not having the opportunity.

I've wanted to look at the number of 3 and outs our offense had compared to others around the league and compared to how many our defense forces. I'm willing to bet our defense forced the fewest this season.
Old 01-04-2011   #14
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
I take it you believe everything will be fixed and we are play-off bound with a real defense? Is this right?
No. I believe the problems are deeper than that and the root cause is at the scouting/personnel level. Kubiak has been in charge of offensive personnel and Smith in charge of defensive (as per Lance Z, Justice and Jabba) so you can draw your own conclusions from there.
Old 01-04-2011   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
During the Ravens game they showed a graphic that stated we were 2nd behind JAX with fewest 3 and outs in the league. I don't think it changed too much from that point.
That's got to be defensively.
Old 01-04-2011   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Haven't found a 3 and out stat but the Texans were 2nd in the league on 1st downs per game and 9th in the league on 3rd down conversion %. They were also 3rd on yards per game while being 15th in plays from scrimmage. We were 28th in the league in number of punts. Those numbers do not point to the Texans having lots of 3 and outs.
Old 01-04-2011   #17
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's got to be defensively.

If it was defensively I wouldn't have bothered responding as that's not what you were asking.
Old 01-04-2011   #18
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Haven't found a 3 and out stat but the Texans were 2nd in the league on 1st downs per game and 9th in the league on 3rd down conversion %. They were also 3rd on yards per game while being 15th in plays from scrimmage. We were 28th in the league in number of punts. Those numbers do not point to the Texans having lots of 3 and outs.
I think that inversely answers the 3-and-out question.

My questions are where does our offense lie in terms of points per game...and, more importantly, why does our offense seem to play well only when its ass is on fire.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #19
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
I think that inversely answers the 3-and-out question.

My questions are where does our offense lie in terms of points per game...and, more importantly, why does our offense seem to play well only when its ass is on fire.
We were 9th overall in points scored with 24.4 per game.

Our defense on the other hand, was 29th in points allowed with 26.7 per game. (This includes special teams scores against and INTs/fumbles returned for TD)
Old 01-04-2011   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

You counted the last two years, right? My problem with the Texans this year, as opposed to last, is how many first halves they blew. Last year, you never knew which half they'd show up, but they were often playing from ahead, which allowed the defense to play a lot looser. Last year, they would play from behind sometimes (early in the year vs. ARI), they would almost squander some leads (SF, MIA), and they blew some teams out. This year, it was a LOT of playing from behind after wasting the entire first half of a game. The defense sucked, but the offense did them no favors at all.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read